Preventing Pregnancy Displeases Thee Lord

Status
Not open for further replies.
I probably made things confusing. My original statement was: "I also forgot to make the obvious statement that contraception interferes with the dignity of sex."

You responded

How's that? I could agree with you if you are taking about a condom but not anything else.

I meant t ask why is it that condoms interfere with the dignity of sex but other forms of contraception don't?

Sorry for the confusion.

I don't think contraception is immoral but I think it is a shame to waste a good sexual experience on a condom. Getting snipped was a better choice.

I wonder if the Catholic dude that said contraception was a sin based his opinion on an experience with a condom.

I wonder if the Catholic dude that said contraception was a sin based his opinion on an experience with a condom.

ASUK, did you say that out of curiosity or out of spite? Either you are being ignorant or intending to be mean.

The subject of contraception has always been universally recognized as wrong by all Christian groups up until the 20th century. Before then, it wasn't strictly a Catholic issue, and it still isn't to this day.

Last edited:
ASUK, did you say that out of curiosity or out of spite? Either you are being ignorant or intending to be mean.

The subject of contraception has always been universally recognized as wrong by all Christian groups up until the 20th century. Before then, it wasn't strictly a Catholic issue, and it still isn't to this day.
I shouldn't have been disrespectful to you. My apologies.

I know this guy who has 8 children. He is a religious man. He had all 8 children from the same woman, and not any floozies. He married before having children. He believes it is the will of God for him to continue having children. I believe he may be against condoms, birth control, diaphragms, and any other type of system that prevents one from conceiving. Could this verse be the reason:

"And Judah said unto Onan, Go in unto thy brother's wife, and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother.
And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother. And the thing which he did displeased the Lord: wherefore he slew him also."

I know we believe abortion is bad, but could any prevention of pregnancy displease the Lord?
That's not what that story is saying... the brother had an obligation to continue the blood line of their father (via him instead of his brother), he had the enjoyment, but didn't fulfill his responsibilities. That's why he was killed. He was under the Law. If he had trusted the Lord and surrendered it to Him and called on His mercies then he would have lived. It's just like when Judah refused to take in his daughter-in-law, she had to trick him, and in the end he repented and all turned out as it should have been. To one, even under the Law like David, turning to God's mercy yeilds more grace than attempting to keep the law and failing!

That's not what that story is saying... the brother had an obligation to continue the blood line of their father (via him instead of his brother), he had the enjoyment, but didn't fulfill his responsibilities. That's why he was killed. He was under the Law. If he had trusted the Lord and surrendered it to Him and called on His mercies then he would have lived. It's just like when Judah refused to take in his daughter-in-law, she had to trick him, and in the end he repented and all turned out as it should have been. To one, even under the Law like David, turning to God's mercy yeilds more grace than attempting to keep the law and failing!

With all due respect to everyone, but this is why birth control is something to hold issue to and should be rejected.

1) Onan had a responsibility to marry and procreate with his brother's wife.

2) He was greedy and lustful and decided he would have sex with her, but avoided procreation as best he could.

3) God was displeased and had him killed.

Contraception...what are the reasons of using it?

1) Restrict procreation due to cost of having kids but to still have sex anyway.

2) To separate the woman from her own fertility so as to objectify her.

The case of Onan isn't that he disobeyed God arbitrarily. He ignores God's plan, decides not to pass down what would have gone to his son, and dismissed his wife's fruitfulness by spilling his seed to the ground.

And it was all caused by a means of birth control.

Last edited:
I think wearing clothes and wearing a condom are similar things. We wear clothes because we cannot trust ourselves to behave or act respectfully. In the same way we wear condoms because we do not fully trust ourselves to take good care of children. Is wearing clothes bad? No. Is wearing a condom bad? You decide.

I think wearing clothes and wearing a condom are similar things. We wear clothes because we cannot trust ourselves to behave or act respectfully. In the same way we wear condoms because we do not fully trust ourselves to take good care of children. Is wearing clothes bad? No. Is wearing a condom bad? You decide.

That's not why I wear clothing. I wear them for modesty purposes. Condoms are for having sex with no possibility of conception.

That's not why I wear clothing. I wear them for modesty purposes
On the one hand I think couples should have children, but on the other hand some might not do so well with their children. Should we really classify it as a sin? I believe Paul told us to not argue about laws and such, but things that are more important. It's like whether some man worships on Sunday or Saturday, does it really make a huge difference?

Colossians 2:20-22
If with Christ you died to the elemental spirits of the world, why, as if you were still alive in the world, do you submit to regulations— “Do not handle, Do not taste, Do not touch” (referring to things that all perish as they are used)—according to human precepts and teachings?

I'm of a mind having more children than one can feed would displease the Lord.
Starving dying children around the world, bellies distended, flies crawling all over them, their screams slowly fading as they do, would displease the Lord. And yet we read of missionaries in those regions preaching that birth control displeases God. And that in turn says that those starving dying children clearly do not.

Proverbs 25:27 It is not good to eat much honey, nor is it glorious to seek one's own glory.

"I'm of a mind having more children than one can feed would displease the Lord. "

Would you think that perhaps the Lord might provide the food needed?

The notion of refusing to have children because they may go hungry is a red herring.
The children of the world are not starving because of their numbers or where they live. They are starving because their rulers
make it practically impossible for the peasantry to live in peace. The food can be grown if the farmers can tend their fields without onerous taxes, government interference, or warfare.

I'm of a mind having more children than one can feed would displease the Lord.
Starving dying children around the world, bellies distended, flies crawling all over them, their screams slowly fading as they do, would displease the Lord. And yet we read of missionaries in those regions preaching that birth control displeases God. And that in turn says that those starving dying children clearly do not.

Proverbs 25:27 It is not good to eat much honey, nor is it glorious to seek one's own glory.
I don't think it would displease The Lord. I also believe that we are to rely on Him and trust that he will provide. It would be displeasing to Him to doubt Him, in my humble opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back