Pride: how does it reveal itself?

If I am correct that pride itself is neither good nor bad, but the way we allow it (or control it) in our dealing with others that renders it positive or negative, I would like to see what the difference is and how we can recognize when our pride may be the destructive kind.

I note that in the list of verses mentioning pride that while some persons are mentioned as prideful, it is often the pride of Israel (or of surrounding tribal nations) that is said to be prideful. I would submit that pride is a different animal when it is the pride of a group of people.

As an example: If you look at the leadership of any organization of differing people, basic pride seems to be a prerequisite for successful leadership. For some the pride manifests as stability during troubled times, while in others it manifests as autocratic and arbitrary which results in increasing unrest in the organization when troubles come.

I am thinking here of some managers I have worked for that obviously had both inner pride and inner humility that kept them focused on providing stable leadership while adjusting to changing conditions that resulted in earning great respect by both people within their direct organization and with managers and personnel of other, sometimes antagonistic organizations.

To my mind, the autocratic managers tended to see the problems as personal affronts that must be fought tight control over everyone he leads, while the stable manager learns when and from who to take counsel, and does not take offense at difficulties.

This principle can be applied when we look at our own personal ministries. The leadership of these ministries must deal with personal problems as well as the core mission of the ministry. We must have the pride to recognize that the Lord placed us there ans has given us what is necessary to accomplish His ends. We should not approach difficulties as personal affronts and expect those around us to conform to our desires but take counsel from within the group or from a trusted counselor. But we must not shrink from making required decisions and seeing things through.

. Been witnessing some folk collaborating on the political front here in the UK stemming from the trouble you have had lately in USA.
People here have been smashing statues and generally making a riot.
groups gathering for riots, they are all worked up in anger and there always seemed to be one that throws the first stone and then everyone else joins in. Their common sense just goes out of the window!

I don't believe in pride. I have faith, not pride.
Proud people can be religious and their religiousity causes huge problems for them and everyone else.

. Been witnessing some folk collaborating on the political front here in the UK stemming from the trouble you have had lately in USA.
People here have been smashing statues and generally making a riot.
groups gathering for riots, they are all worked up in anger and there always seemed to be one that throws the first stone and then everyone else joins in. Their common sense just goes out of the window!

People such as this that we see in these events are looking for a way to do something that they would not normally do. You see, if they tried to break into a store and steal a big screen TV, the alarm goes off and the POLICE show up and they go to jail.

But now.......the windows are broken, they walk in and steal that TV and walk away because they know the POLICE are involved in crowd control instead of people protection.

Not sure who would want to buy a stolen tv or what you would do with it..it's not like it would be worth watching. crime doesn't make sense either.

I don't really hang around mobs and don't really like crowds. It's because I know crowds can get out of control and you can be crushed to death. I don't forget things like this football crowd crush in the UK at Hillsborough and people DIED for no reason, cos it was too crowded coming out the gates and they just got crushed.

When I heard this years ago I was absolutely horrified.

The Lord has been giving me abundant reproof! While having an accurate appraisal of self is good, we must remember that the ‘positive’ aspects are only positive when they are laid at the feet of the Lord to use or not as He sees fit. We may use our abilities to serve our own designs and do ‘good’ works, but ‘good’ works apart from His will are only smoke. The Key is the following of the Spirit, not employing ones assets.

I’ve deeply realised ..
The real pride I should be concerned about is pride before God.
And I’m just noticing just how sinful I am. I vaguely realised under the law. But now it’s crystal.
This would never had occurred to me Up until today.
I was attacked by the enemy today Unexpectantly. and I missed God. Then afterwards He brought it to my attention that it’s a test.
but my willing heart has saved me.
For He allowed me more of His presence and even though it was silent, it was Fuller.
His unspoken words were beautiful.
He’s teaching me How to Love Him

Back