Question about Fruits of the Spirit

Via dolarossa

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Secretary
dear brothers and sisters.

I am learning a new exercise routine, and I don't like it. ( at least not yet) I suppose its just because my flesh would rather watch tv.
but there is peace, discipline, and other fruits when I engage it, ( because I know its better for me than mindless tv)but there is no joy there. just wondering if all of these fruits ought to be present in what we do . I am thinking, this kind of exercise might not be for me if I don't enjoy it, but I am also thinking, that I haven't given myself enough time to decide if I will enjoy it yet.

I have heard a habit takes about a month, so I am willing to give it that, at least before I choose another, so I guess what I am asking is, does the Spirit dish out these Fruits little by little, and is it true that they don't all have to be present at once to know you are on the right path.

thanks

xx

Last edited:

I am learning a new exercise routine, and I don't like it. ( at least not yet) I suppose its just because my flesh would rather watch tv.
but there is peace, discipline, and other fruits when I engage it, ( because I know its better for me than mindless tv)but there is no joy there. just wondering if all of these fruits ought to be present in what we do . I am thinking, this kind of exercise might not be for me if I don't enjoy it, but I am also thinking, that I haven't given myself enough time to decide if I will enjoy it yet.

I have heard a habit takes about a month, so I am willing to give it that, at least before I choose another, so I guess what I am asking is, does the Spirit dish out these Fruits little by little, and is it true that they don't all have to be present at once to know you are on the right path.

thanks

xx

Choices lead to habits and habits lead to destiny.

You will probably not like this but I love it and live by it.........1 Tim. 4:8
"For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.."

but there is peace, discipline, and other fruits when I engage it, ( because I know its better for me than mindless tv)but there is no joy there. just wondering if all of these fruits ought to be present in what we do . I am thinking, this kind of exercise might not be for me if I don't enjoy it, but I am also thinking, that I haven't given myself enough time to decide if I will enjoy it yet. I have heard a habit takes about a month, so I am willing to give it that, at least before I choose another, so I guess what I am asking is, does the Spirit dish out these Fruits little by little, and is it true that they don't all have to be present at once to know you are on the right path.
thanks
xx

Hello Via;

The Greek word karpos is in the singular, or fruit of the spirit as a noun, not plural (fruits), and includes the 9 attributes of the Spirit;

In Galatians 5:22-23a, 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is
love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control;

These are the different characteristics of the grace that the Spirit is working in you, thus the 9 attributes of the fruit of the Spirit.

When you exercise there may be a sense of suffering and lack of joy. In this case, yes, the Lord is giving you the discipline of patience and self-control within these attributes as the Holy Spirit is working in you.

To be honest, when I pray, there are times when my flesh doesn't feel like praying with joy. But I choose to communicate with God so the level of discipline to my resistance is the patience and self-control that the Holy Spirit lifts me to complete my prayers to God. I have no regrets later and am thankful I had my prayer time with Him.

The fruit of the Spirit includes perseverance, suffering, and other submissive endurances that will mature you spiritually.

In your case, exercise is a discipline and breaking the fleshly habit is beneficial for you and your health. We also want to serve God physically.

God bless you, Via, and I hope this will help you.

thanks

xx
Hi Via dolarossa,

Good that you desire to grow. Now I would suggest that you put on some uplifting music and songs that extol our Lord. (Ultimate Collection by Stuart Townend, has a Celtic feel, and most inspirational). Your spirit then begins to open up to the Lord and you are ready to read His word, pray with thanksgivng, for you have been reminded of His great work for us through the songs.

Our mind & emotions get dulled by the darkness in the world, and we need to stir ourselves in remembrance of our precious Lord. Music and song are wonderful tools to do that.

I awoke this morning to that lovely music as my hubby had put it on. What a way to start the day, or unwind at the end, or throughout the day to praise and worship the Lord, for He is so, so Worthy of all praise, honor and glory.

All the best, Marilyn.

Choices lead to habits and habits lead to destiny.

You will probably not like this but I love it and live by it.........1 Tim. 4:8
"For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.."
Maybe excersise dosent profit a lot but in my case I’m addicted to being a couch potato. And what use is that?

no point in snoozing my life away. I’m eating loads better( tv, junk food and lazing around was my default state. But since I’ve given up junk food and now beginning to get some form of excersise routine( it’s nothing too strenuous but I need to loose a little weight too so it helps to keep me in shape.

I always feel sluggish if I’m not active physically and my job is not as active as it used to be.

I know too much of anything can be unwholesome so I’m o my planning on an hour a day.

Hi Via dolarossa,

Good that you desire to grow. Now I would suggest that you put on some uplifting music and songs that extol our Lord. (Ultimate Collection by Stuart Townend, has a Celtic feel, and most inspirational). Your spirit then begins to open up to the Lord and you are ready to read His word, pray with thanksgivng, for you have been reminded of His great work for us through the songs.

Our mind & emotions get dulled by the darkness in the world, and we need to stir ourselves in remembrance of our precious Lord. Music and song are wonderful tools to do that.

I awoke this morning to that lovely music as my hubby had put it on. What a way to start the day, or unwind at the end, or throughout the day to praise and worship the Lord, for He is so, so Worthy of all praise, honor and glory.

All the best, Marilyn.
Yes wow that’s a great idea. I can listen to the bible or songs of praise whilst I’m out running!
That will help a lot.

Tje Spirit is Willing, but alas the flesh is weak coz I still hate mornings. I’d much rather just turn over. And it’s not excavator glorious weather here 24/7 so I will be most tempted then.

Via:
Heading Over to lanolins thread for a challenge.😊

Maybe excersise dosent profit a lot but in my case I’m addicted to being a couch potato. And what use is that?

no point in snoozing my life away. I’m eating loads better( tv, junk food and lazing around was my default state. But since I’ve given up junk food and now beginning to get some form of excersise routine( it’s nothing too strenuous but I need to loose a little weight too so it helps to keep me in shape.

I always feel sluggish if I’m not active physically and my job is not as active as it used to be.

I know too much of anything can be unwholesome so I’m o my planning on an hour a day.

The benefit of being a couch potato is that you do not have to go to the kitchen for a snack!

Can you say exactly what your exercise routine is?

Is it hearthumping cardio, or is it something gentle like tai chi?
Or is it lifting weights?

What exactly is it on TV that you are watching? What would happen if, instead of the time spent watching tv, you read a book (or the Bible)?

Do you have a lawn? Does mowing count as exercise? Or vaccuuming? Dusting? You have to stretch and reach high places.
Can you put on music and dance for half an hour?
Walking is as good an exercise as running. But if you are running, set goals like..I have to do 2 laps round the block and be back at the house before 15 minutes or something, so you have a measurement, and then you can set another goal to beat it.

Yes you can listen to music or a book while you are running.

Can you say exactly what your exercise routine is?

Is it hearthumping cardio, or is it something gentle like tai chi?
Or is it lifting weights?

What exactly is it on TV that you are watching? What would happen if, instead of the time spent watching tv, you read a book (or the Bible)?

Do you have a lawn? Does mowing count as exercise? Or vaccuuming? Dusting? You have to stretch and reach high places.
Can you put on music and dance for half an hour?
Walking is as good an exercise as running. But if you are running, set goals like..I have to do 2 laps round the block and be back at the house before 15 minutes or something, so you have a measurement, and then you can set another goal to beat it.

Yes you can listen to music or a book while you are running.
Yes I’ve started running.

but to be fair, I dont run far yet, it’s baby steps. But I’ve persevered and I must admit just the perseverance in itself feels pretty good. So maybe it’s not the activity that counts but the Spirit and state of mind(discipline ) that is having an effect on me.

i stopped reading the bible these days. Im not getting anything out of it.
Maybe I’ve got a block or something?My lack of understanding and my focus is so terrible so I started a Zazen practice a few weeks ago so I can watch what’s happening.
It’s pretty good for growing awareness and improving concentration so I’ll stick with that too until I am able to pick up my Bible again prayerfully.

. But I have learned one thing this week, it’s that self discipline and perseverance is awesome and not as troublesome as I once thought😇

but to be fair, I dont run far yet, it’s baby steps. But I’ve persevered and I must admit just the perseverance in itself feels pretty good. So maybe it’s not the activity that counts but the Spirit and state of mind(discipline ) that is having an effect on me.
Maybe I’ve got a block or something?
My lack of understanding and my focus is so terrible so I started a Zazen practice a few weeks ago so I can watch what’s happening. It’s pretty good for growing awareness and improving concentration so I’ll stick with that too until I am able to pick up my Bible again prayerfully.
. But I have learned one thing this week, it’s that self discipline and perseverance is awesome and not as troublesome as I once thought😇
its just basic breath meditation.

Hello Via;

What I red-lighted, it does happen to followers of Christ and at times we may find reading the Bible dry. Here is what I shared about prayer in my previous post;

To be honest, when I pray, there are times when my flesh doesn't feel like praying with joy. But I choose to communicate with God so the level of discipline to my resistance is the patience and self-control that the Holy Spirit lifts me to complete my prayers to God. I have no regrets later and am thankful I had my prayer time with Him.

Basic breathing meditation and zen practices are impressive, but prayer and reading the Bible goes so much further than any alternative that will hinder instead of complementing the fruit of the spirit.

Thank you for your honesty, sister, and I'm already praying for the Lord's intercession for you.

Hello Via;

What I red-lighted, it does happen to followers of Christ and at times we may find reading the Bible dry. Here is what I shared about prayer in my previous post;

Basic breathing meditation and zen practices are impressive, but prayer and reading the Bible goes so much further than any alternative that will hinder instead of complementing the fruit of the spirit.

Thank you for your honesty, sister, and I'm already praying for the Lord's intercession for you.
thanks bob.
what I have found is that I am just looking up scriptures that apply to my circumstances. and that's it.
its easy and there's no effort involved.

I know people who run, and they are filled with energy and are vigorous. and I was hoping to regain my enthusiasm for the bible by running, to gain a bit more vitality.

Maybe I’ve got a block or something?My lack of understanding and my focus is so terrible so I started a Zazen practice a few weeks ago so I can watch what’s happening.
It’s pretty good for growing awareness and improving concentration so I’ll stick with that too until I am able to pick up my Bible again prayerfully.

I have to admit that some books of the Bible are difficult to get through, especially the Old Testament.

I have a process that might appear to be odd, but works for me.

Ok, let's say I decide I want to read the book of Hosea.

Fist, I go to a site called The Bible Project. They have these short animated videos that provide a summary of each of the books. Here is the one for Hosea: https://bibleproject.com/explore/video/hosea/

After that, I copy and paste the book I want to read to a Word document:Hosea.JPG

I then go to the site called Enduring Word. Almost all of the books have been recorded (some only audio and some both audio/video). I find Pastor David Guzik to be very articulate and detailed in his commentaries.

So, armed with a Word version of the text and an audio commentary, I then start the process of going book my book and adding notes as I find significant.

Rtm

I've decided when I get back to my school library, I'm going to read one of the children's version of the Bible cover to cover. Just to change things up a little.

I'm always reading KJV, but that's because I just gain so much out of it, that I don't really read any other versions. But I think it would be interesting to just read another version.

So...Comic Book Bible or The Unofficial Bible for Minecrafters?

I have to admit that some books of the Bible are difficult to get through, especially the Old Testament.

I have a process that might appear to be odd, but works for me.

Ok, let's say I decide I want to read the book of Hosea.

Fist, I go to a site called The Bible Project. They have these short animated videos that provide a summary of each of the books. Here is the one for Hosea: https://bibleproject.com/explore/video/hosea/

After that, I copy and paste the book I want to read to a Word document:View attachment 6171

I then go to the site called Enduring Word. Almost all of the books have been recorded (some only audio and some both audio/video). I find Pastor David Guzik to be very articulate and detailed in his commentaries.

So, armed with a Word version of the text and an audio commentary, I then start the process of going book my book and adding notes as I find significant.

Rtm
yes I have watched some of those they are really good. I haven't yet been to the site called enduring word, so I will give it a try.

I know what's wrong with me, I hate lone learning. I prefer groups. im pretty much the extrovert.

edit; it has a group study which I wil ltry😊

Last edited:
Back