religion

Before I got saved I didn't go to bars very often, so it's not the place God sent me after I got saved to witness.

Before I was saved I went to school, specifically the library, and THAT is the place He wants me to witness. To readers.

I think everyone has their favourite places they would go to all the time and that is their sphere of influence. Granted it would be harder to witness in a bar, but if thats the place where you met your friends, and you wanted to tell them about Jesus you'd go there. I know former gang members, they want to witness to their gang mates - and dragging them to church would not help but going to where they are at, is more effective.

When Jesus was going round healing and preaching he didn't go to the places of worship they already had --the synagogues etc and wait for people to come to him. (He would have got chucked out by the religious Pharisees anyway) He would go out on the fishing boat, on the mount, and in the streets. He also went into the places where the publicans and prostitutes would gather.

I think everyone has their favourite places they would go to all the time and that is their sphere of influence. Granted it would be harder to witness in a bar
the ist man to my knowledge just went in and sit down saying nothing . but certainly one should go where led . a bar would be a good place granted .but if not careful it would create strife alcohol creates problems

the ist man to my knowledge just went in and sit down saying nothing . but certainly one should go where led . a bar would be a good place granted .but if not careful it would create strife alcohol creates problems
In most cases alcohol has been the main cause of so many problems and tragedies that I don't know where to start. If it doesn't kill you outright it destroys your family and friends lives as well.

In most cases alcohol has been the main cause of so many problems and tragedies that I don't know where to start. If it doesn't kill you outright it destroys your family and friends lives as well.
it does it costa buddy of mine his life he shot by his step father 8 times with automatic 22 they had been drinking . my buddy was a alcoholic the alcohol dulled his senses . he had his 8 year old son on his lap.. as the step father got up to go get his gun. he had his son go outside . He tried take cover behind a stove. had he been alert he could have took the gun from the step dad. knocked him down or out. how do i know this ? he walked a guy out the front door of a bar. that had guns waiting for him,, he told them you shoot him you have to shoot me. yes he was drinking then. but the alcohol had not consumed him. like it did years later..

Churchianity, religion, irreligious, sanctification, revivals, secular...lots of descriptors fly about these days in cultures that so desperately seek labels to put onto every thing, and everybody.

What I so appreciate about how God does things is that He seeks so much more than we do here in this realm of sin and fallenness. His Spirit enlightens us to His deeper desires if only we seek Him out for Him to enlighten us of and for those things.

Not attending and supporting some institution, in the estimation of many, is tantamount to forsaking the gathering, which couldn't be further from the truth.

So, how does one practice relationship in the place of mere religion?

Ask that in your prayer time with the Lord. If something profound comes to you in that prayer time and seeking, then perhaps you're hearing from the Lord. If not, then either you're there where He wants you, or you're way off and not hearing from Him as you should, in which case you REALLY need to get your prayer life attuned to the Lord so that He can get you back on the right path.

Hope that was understandable. I was told that I at times talk on a level outside the experience of some. :)

MM

Churchianity, religion, irreligious, sanctification, revivals, secular...lots of descriptors fly about these days in cultures that so desperately seek labels to put onto every thing, and everybody.
with some possible other not so you can't lump all churches into the same category. i can assure you in my area i can take you to some God fearing Churches where the truth is preached . none of this is my 1st rodeo i have seen & heard enough . to turn many off had i not had the spirit of truth in me. i would have gave up the ministry years ago Church attendance in a true blue Bible based church is very important .. problem is most just have religion go through the motions .than having deep relationship with Christ

with some possible other not so you can't lump all churches into the same category. i can assure you in my area i can take you to some God fearing Churches where the truth is preached . none of this is my 1st rodeo i have seen & heard enough . to turn many off had i not had the spirit of truth in me. i would have gave up the ministry years ago Church attendance in a true blue Bible based church is very important .. problem is most just have religion go through the motions .than having deep relationship with Christ

I do not paint all with the broad brush strokes of total inclusiveness. Some are indeed exceptions, which I have pointed out many times throughout these threads.

However, what Jesus said still stands true, in that HE (alone) is the Good Shepherd. He did not use any brush stroke language that would even hint at the idea that anyone besides Himself was The Good Shepherd, as you know. The hirelings will always run when the wolves come. The Lord and Master of our salvation will never run when those wolves come.

MM

However, what Jesus said still stands true, in that HE (alone) is the Good Shepherd.
a true pastor /leader will say Jesus is the great shepherd and they are the under Shephard . no doubt there are many hirelings . but at the same time. there are far more God called true blue men of God. problem we have today is many seek after teachers with itchy ears. as for me i will always stand by a person getting into a true blue Bible teaching Church. no offense towards you but the benefits of attending a bible based Church. out weighs the stay at home crowd .
ya know i have had to stand my ground against the wolves/ those felt they had more authority than me in the pulpit. i was dragged into what was suppose to be a meeting with a person. who had a burr under her saddle .over me mentioning foot washing in a southern Baptist Church . i was asked where foot washing was in the Bible. i picked up the Bible and read it to her . she shut down her and her backers.

till she called a few of the spineless men up and threatened to pull from the Church. so i been there done that called back to a meeting where i was told it was the will of the church i resign.....there was no meeting in the Body just them.....

many of the members was active in inviting while i was there. so wolves come in many shapes and forms

btw i have no problem with southern baptist or any other baptist

a true pastor /leader will say Jesus is the great shepherd and they are the under Shephard . no doubt there are many hirelings . but at the same time. there are far more God called true blue men of God. problem we have today is many seek after teachers with itchy ears. as for me i will always stand by a person getting into a true blue Bible teaching Church. no offense towards you but the benefits of attending a bible based Church. out weighs the stay at home crowd .
ya know i have had to stand my ground against the wolves/ those felt they had more authority than me in the pulpit. i was dragged into what was suppose to be a meeting with a person. who had a burr under her saddle .over me mentioning foot washing in a southern Baptist Church . i was asked where foot washing was in the Bible. i picked up the Bible and read it to her . she shut down her and her backers.

till she called a few of the spineless men up and threatened to pull from the Church. so i been there done that called back to a meeting where i was told it was the will of the church i resign.....there was no meeting in the Body just them.....

many of the members was active in inviting while i was there. so wolves come in many shapes and forms

btw i have no problem with southern baptist or any other baptist

Generally speaking, Jesus never mentioned anything about "under" shepherds, so that item is purely a matter of internal debate among those who see that as an arguably biblical position.

As to the wolves, none of our churches have seen the REAL wolves that are going to come one day. Dissent among members over doctrinal issues doesn't come close to what's coming. It may seem that internal debates and disagreements are instigated by the wolves of biblical magnitude, but I think it safe to say they don't even come close to what's headed down the pike of the enemy's attacks soon to come.

MM

Churchianity, religion, irreligious, sanctification, revivals, secular...lots of descriptors fly about these days in cultures that so desperately seek labels to put onto every thing, and everybody. What I so appreciate about how God does things is that He seeks so much more than we do here in this realm of sin and fallenness. His Spirit enlightens us to His deeper desires if only we seek Him out for Him to enlighten us of and for those things. Not attending and supporting some institution, in the estimation of many, is tantamount to forsaking the gathering, which couldn't be further from the truth. So, how does one practice relationship in the place of mere religion?
Ask that in your prayer time with the Lord. If something profound comes to you in that prayer time and seeking, then perhaps you're hearing from the Lord. If not, then either you're there where He wants you, or you're way off and not hearing from Him as you should, in which case you REALLY need to get your prayer life attuned to the Lord so that He can get you back on the right path. Hope that was understandable.

I was told that I at times talk on a level outside the experience of some. :)
MM

the name over the door means Nothing .the name in your heart does . the name over the door means it is a personnel preference

Well said, MM;
Actually, you talk of experience inside the level of my continued growth. 🤔 Does that make sense? lol!

I was rereading forgiven's thread, religion, and what you both shared added to the word that pressed on my heart this week.

In John 17:13-16, 13 But now I am coming to you, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have my joy fulfilled in themselves. 14 I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 15 I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one. 16 They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world.

We talk of having a relationship with Christ but for those who don't, have a relationship with the world. What makes our walk tough is we get mish mashed into both and I feel this is where God's disciple growth in our lives comes in.

Nothing beats a face to face prayer time with God. As long as I approach the Almighty with reverence, I can say, ask or argue with Him about anything and everything, and He will make it plain to me.

Example, how about the church goer who decides I just gotta go to the tailgate party because it's the big game? Hey, I love sports but worshiping God first is an even bigger game. Besides, Jesus always wins.

We just got back from San Diego where we enjoyed a much needed time for a mini vacation. While there we only wanted "me time with no interruptions" but God had different plans. We made quality time for my parents, relatives besides friends, and shared the gospel. It meant time sacrificed but they needed Christ. Who do we serve? Our family was blessed and there wasn't any regrets. God planted that name in our heart.

When we choose God first in every angle of our lives, why do I need to co-analyze and sub-contextualize our reasons to make God second? Our prayer time with God and asking His guidance leads us to share the gospel with the world and minimize it's view of religion.

Generally speaking, Jesus never mentioned anything about "under" shepherds, so that item is purely a matter of internal debate among those who see that as an arguably biblical position.

As to the wolves, none of our churches have seen the REAL wolves that are going to come one day. Dissent among members over doctrinal issues doesn't come close to what's coming. It may seem that internal debates and disagreements are instigated by the wolves of biblical magnitude, but I think it safe to say they don't even come close to what's headed down the pike of the enemy's attacks soon to come.

MM
Under shepherd would mean under the great shepherd the word rapture is not found in the Bible either yet we preach it and teach it. sunday schol is not in the Bible yet we have it. the attack is coming on gradually .Division is spread through out the Body of Christ

Jesus had 'sunday school' when he read scripture out loud in the synagogue, which is a place of learning. They had things called yeshivas in Israel for boys to learn Torah, though I think they did that everyday, not just Sunday.

Also recall Jesus was actually teaching and astonishing everyone at just 12 years old.

Here there is no real place you can go everyday to learn the Bible for free...most bible colleges you have to pay tuition fee (very expensive) except maybe online but you need a computer first. And many christian schools are private so you still have to pay big fees to attend them.
Bibles in (public) schools is only half an hour or so once a week. Not everyday.

The best place nowadays to go would be the public library, there is no charge to go in there and read..and you can use the computers for free.

Most people in church just organise a home group so that people can learn with others the only cost would be getting there and back but you have to be mindful of that for people living far away - transport. In a big city where I live parking costs a lot of money, as does petrol, and public transport can be so unreliable! If churches had a van or something it would help or they car pooled.

I've know some would travel all the way across town, even 2 hours to get to their favourite church even though there might be one right next door. But they are priveliged enough to have a car. A lot of people don't.

Last edited:
Back