Revelation Vision 3. Christ the Mediator. (ch. 10 & 11)

Previously we have been shown Christ executing the judgments upon the rebellious – the 7 trumpet judgments. Next we see Christ Mediating between God & man in full authority.

Christ the Messenger of the Covenant.

`I saw still another mighty angel (messenger) coming down from heaven clothed with a cloud. And a rainbow was on his head, his face was like the sun, & his feet were pillars of fire. (Rev. 10: 1)

God gives us great detail & picturesque language so we can understand spiritual things. The `rainbow on his head,` clearly shows that this is Christ, the one on the throne with the rainbow overhead. This represents the covenant that God promised to Israel that He would provide for them a way back to Himself.

His `face, like the sun,` shows that Christ reflects the glory of God in doing this wonderful work of Mediation. Then His feet were ` as pillars of fire,` representing the refining & judging work Christ is about to do in relation to the Covenant.

`He had a little book in His hand.`(Rev. 10: 2)

This `little book,` refers to those people in Israel who turn to the Lord in the tribulation. The prophet Daniel was given details of this by the angel Michael.

`there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation, even to that time. And at that time your people shall be delivered, everyone who is found in the book.` (Dan. 12: 1 & 2)

This tells us which people, - Israel, & which particular time it will happen, - in the tribulation. The prophet Malachi also tells of this book with the names of those who turn again to God in the time of `the day of His coming.` (Mal. 3: 2)

` So a book of remembrance was written before Him for those who fear the Lord & meditate on His name.` (Mal. 3: 16)

Marilyn.

Christ`s Authority – Universal & Unchangeable.

`And he set his right foot on the sea & his left foot on the land and he cried with a loud voice, as when a lion roars. When he cried out, seven thunders uttered their voices,.. Seal up the things ....& do not write them.`(Rev. 10: 2 - 4)

Here we are shown Christ`s great universal authority in relation to the earth – aside the land & sea. The `seven thunders` are the complete (7) judgment of God (thunders). This was to be sealed up until the appointed time for its release when Christ returns in power & great glory at the end of the tribulation.

Christ`s authority is not only universal but also unchangeable. Only He, who is the Mediator between God & man could raise His hand & swear by Himself.

`The angel whom I saw standing on the sea & on the land, raised His hand to heaven & swore by Him who lives forever & ever, who created heaven & the things that are in it, the earth ... & the sea.... that there should be delay no longer.`(Rev. 10: 5 & 6)

`For men indeed swear by the greater, & an oath for confirmation...Thus God, determining to show ... the immutability (unchangeable) of His counsel, confirmed it by an oath....` (Heb. 6: 16 & 17)

God told Moses that it is He who takes hold of judgment, He who avenges His enemies & He who provides atonement for His people Israel & seals it with an oath.

`Now see that I, even I am He, And there is no God besides Me;.... for I raise My hand to heaven, & I say, “As I live forever,.....”` (Deut. 32: 39 & 40)

Marilyn.

CHRIST`S DECLARATIONS

`in the days of the seventh angel, when he is about to sound, the mystery of God would be finished, as He declared it to His servants the prophets.` (Rev. 10: 7)

Here we read that when the seventh angel is about to sound the full revelation of what God declared to the prophets would be finished – that the kingdoms of the world would become the Lord`s.

`The kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our Lord & His Christ, & He shall reign forever & ever!` (Rev. 11: 15)

Before this wonderful climax to the ages takes place certain events need to happen. Israel needs to turn back to God & the nations need to come under judgment. Thus the Lord gives the Apostle John the words of the prophecies declaring what is to come. This is represented by John having to `eat,` the little book.

`Go take the little book .....Take it & eat it; & it will make your stomach bitter, but it will be as sweet as honey in your mouth.` (Rev. 10: 8 – 9)

The words were sweet like honey bringing a good message that the Messiah was coming to set up His kingdom. However the words were `bitter in his stomach` for if people did not repent there would be `lamentations, mournings & woes.`

`Then I took the little book out of the angel`s hand & ate it, & it was as sweet as honey in my mouth. But when I had eaten it, my stomach became bitter.`(Rev. 10: 10)

The prophet Ezekiel had a similar experience.

`a scroll of a book....& written on it were lamentations & mourning & woe. ....He caused me to eat that scroll.... So I ate, & it was in my mouth like honey in sweetness ....&..in bitterness, in the heat of my spirit.`(Ez. 2: 9 - 3: 4 & 14 )

As we study the book of Revelation further we will see the details of these prophecies that John received from Christ, the Mediator between God & man. The prophecies will show how Christ draws His people Israel back to God, how He protects them from their enemies & what happens to the nations.

`You must prophesy again about many peoples, nations, tongues & kings.`(Rev. 10: 11)

Marilyn.

I`ll just give some thoughts here to tie in some of the details that follow in Rev. 11 – 13. Then I`ll go through the scriptures.

The Lord now focuses in on Israel. It is the second part of the Tribulation & much devastation is happening. The anti-Christ has risen to power & given authority for 42 months. This is in this time frame.

However the Lord is showing us how He will watch over Israel. He sends two men who will witness to what they have seen & heard of Israel`s Messiah. They will tell how they talked with Jesus while He was on earth concerning His `departure,` also how they saw the empty tomb, “He is risen,” & finally how they stood by & witnessed His ascension into glory.

These two men are the most respected authorities that Israel ever had – Moses & Elijah, representing the Law & the Prophets.

Being told their Messiah is Jesus, the one who came to earth, would be absolutely astounding to the people of Israel, but many will believe & look with hope for His coming to deliver them. Many will be martyred, & many flee the anti-Christ`s persecution but are hidden & protected by people around the world.

Marilyn.

The first people that Christ deals with are those in Israel who are looking for their Messiah to come. They are the ones who `worship in the temple,` worship God in their heart.

`The angel (Christ) stood saying, “Rise & measure the temple of God, the altar & those who worship there.” (Rev. 11: 1)

Then Christ allocates the Gentile nations of the world a specific time for them to rule over Jerusalem. They are given 42 months which is the last 3 ½ years of the tribulation before He comes & judges them as to how they have treated His people.

“ But leave out the court which is outside the temple, & do not measure it, for it has been given to the Gentiles. And they will tread the holy city underfoot for 42 months.”(Rev. 11: 2)

Then Christ declares that He will give power to 2 men who will witness of Him to Israel & to the world of His coming kingdom. Their time is 1260 days.

`I will give power to My two witnesses, & they will prophesy one thousand two hundred & sixty days, clothed in sackcloth.`(Rev. 11: 3)

These two times, 42 months & 1260 days indicate to us 3 ½ years of 30 day months.

This is God`s measurement of the tribulation, the fulfilling of the Sabbath years of rest for the land & the chastisement of the people. Most of the 490 years (70 x 7 years) has been completed, with only 7 years of the tribulation to be finished. (Dan. 9: 24 – 27) Thus we can see that this time period is the last part.

Marilyn.

ANOINTED ONES

These 2 men, Christ`s Witnesses, are represented by olive trees & lampstands.

` These are the 2 olive trees & the 2 lampstands standing before the God of the earth.` (Rev. 11: 4)

These symbols are explained to us in Zechariah Ch. 4. The lampstands represent the anointing Spirit of God, while the 2 olive trees are the 2 anointed ones.

`Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,....` (Zech. 4: 6)
`These are the two anointed ones who stand besides the Lord of the whole earth.` (Zech. 4: 14)

These anointed ones, (like Zerubbabel, the King & Joshua, the High Priest) are preparing for the Lord who is to come, the glorious one who shall be a priest on His throne: a King Priest. They bear witness to the two anointed offices of Christ`s Kinghood & Priesthood.

`He shall sit & rule on His throne; So He shall be a Priest on His throne, And the counsel of peace shall be between them.`(Zech. 6: 13)

We have been told in God`s word who these 2 men are. They are Moses & Elijah. They witnessed Christ`s transfiguration where He told them of His soon departure from the earth. They were also at the tomb & witnessed Christ`s resurrection, & later ascension into glory.

Mount Transfiguration - `behold 2 men talked with Him (Christ), who were Moses & Elijah, who appeared in glory, & spoke of His decease which He was about to accomplish at Jerusalem.` (Luke 9: 30)

The Tomb - `behold, 2 men stood by them in shining garments.` (Luke 24: 4)

The Ascension - `while they looked steadfastly toward heaven as He went up, Behold, 2 men stood by them in white apparel,` (Acts 1: 10)

Thus we see these same 2 men now appearing to Israel during the second half of the tribulation witnessing of Christ, not only as their soon coming King but also as their High Priest, the one who gave His life for them, & arose victorious over sin & death.

Marilyn.

GIVEN POWER

God gives the 2 men, God`s Witnesses, Moses & Elijah great power. This is the same power He gave them when they were on earth previously.

`And I will give power to my 2 witnesses,... If anyone wants to harm them, fire proceeds from their mouth & devours their enemies.... These have power to shut heaven, so that no rain falls.... & they have power over waters to turn them to blood, & to strike the earth with all plagues.....`(Rev. 11: 3 – 6)

Just before the end of the 1260 days (3 ½ years) the 2 witnesses are overcome by Satan & their dead bodies lie in Jerusalem for 3 ½ days.

`When they finish their testimony, the beast that ascends out of the bottomless pit will make war against them, overcome them, & kill them. And their dead bodies will lie in the street of the great city which spiritually is called Sodom & Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.` (Rev. 11: 7 & 8)

People from all over the world will be able to see their dead bodies (through the use of technology). They will rejoice because the 2 prophets tormented them..

`Then those from the peoples, tribes, tongues & nations will see their dead bodies three & a half days, & not allow their dead bodies to be put into graves. And those who dwell on the earth will rejoice over them, make merry, & send gifts to one another, because these two prophets tormented those who dwell on the earth.` (Rev. 11: 9 & 10)

But after 3 ½ days the 2 Witnesses come alive & ascend into heaven in the presence of their enemies.

`Now after the three & a half days the breath of life from God entered them, & they stood on their feet, & great fear fell on those who saw them. And they heard a loud voice from heaven saying to them, “Come up here.”And they ascended to heaven in a cloud & their enemies saw them.` (Rev. 11: 11 & 12)

In that very hour God caused a great earthquake & a tenth of Jerusalem fell killing seven thousand people. People were afraid & realised that they were under God`s judgment.

`In the same hour there was a great earthquake, & a tenth of the city fell. In the earthquake seven thousand people were killed, & the rest were afraid & gave glory to the God of heaven.` (Rev.11:13)

Marilyn.

Hello @Marilyn,

I have spent time catching up with what you have written so far concerning the book of Revelation, and have rejoiced in your obvious desire to magnify Christ. There is too much to comment on individually, however I call in question your interpretation, especially in regard to your application of the content of the book of revelation to the Church which is the Body of Christ, for it is not the subject of the book of Revelation, and making it be so is doing an injustice both to the Body itself, and to the content of Revelation.

We obviously have quite a difference in understanding as to what the Church which is the Body of Christ comprises, and that is so sad, Marilyn. I see no point in continuing to take part.

With love to you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

THE 7TH TRUMPET

The time line of the 7 trumpets now come to an end & give us the full overview of the tribulation period. The 7th trumpet sounds declaring that it is time for the kingdoms of this world to become the kingdoms of Christ. This we know happens when Christ returns in power & great glory.

`And the seventh angel sounded....`The kingdoms of the world has become the kingdoms of our Lord, & His Christ; & He will reign forever & ever.` (Rev. 11: 15)

The 24 Elders give thanks to God because He has taken His great power & reigned.

`We give thanks, O Lord God Almighty, The One who is & who was & who is to come, because You have taken Your great power & reigned.` (Rev. 11: 17)

They declare that God`s wrath in the tribulation has come, & then enumerate the other judgments that will eventuate over time.

`the nations were angry & Your wrath has come, & the time of the dead, that they should be judged, That you should reward Your servants the prophets & the saints, & those who fear your name, small & great, & should destroy those who destroy the earth.` (Rev. 11: 18)

The `Ark of the Covenant` is then seen opened in heaven. This is a symbolic picture of Christ, the Voice of God, speaking forth the judgments and making war against His enemies.

`Then the temple of God was opened in heaven, & the ark of His covenant was seen in His temple. And there were lightnings, noises, thundering, an earthquake & great hail.`(Rev. 11: 19)

We are shown the actual event when Christ comes forth from heaven to deliver Israel, seek vengeance upon the rebellious nations & deal with Satan & his demonic angels.

`Now I saw heaven opened, & behold a white horse.... & in righteousness He judges & makes war.....Out of His mouth goes a sharp sword, that with it He should strike the nations.` (Rev. 19: 11 – 16)

Marilyn.

Back