Rich Christians

What do you think about them?

In my honest reading of scripture we are told to hate the world and give away our possessions. Many Christians don't do that (Me being one of them).

Can the rich honestly call themselves Christian, when Jesus said to lose your life and take up a cross?

I've always wondered about this, and I've been scared about my salvation because I don't see myself taking up a cross... Is there such thing as an unzealous Christian?

Well by your statement we all should give up our possessions, not just the rich. The thing we all need to watch out for is putting money, items, etc... before God. Once the wealthy put their wealth before God it is better for them not to have the wealth. Other than that there is no reason Christians need to be poor and the evil in the world be rich. I say be rich in the Lord and he will bless you.

Look guys there is a time of giving things up to walk in the Lords ways and there is a time when God blessings come upon those who have been obedient ...

Lu 18:29 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or parents, or brethren, or wife, or children, for the kingdom of God's sake,
30 Who shall not receive manifold more in this present time, and in the world to come life everlasting.

I definitely think that riches can and should be used for good.

However there are many rich Christians who don't give nearly as much as they can or should. For example they might give a million to a certain charity, but then they spend two million on themselves!

We should be like the poor woman who gives all she has, not like the rich men who gave out of abundance. But then again, giving something is much better than nothing at all. God will judge the heart, and Jesus can cover our sins.

I definitely think that riches can and should be used for good.

However there are many rich Christians who don't give nearly as much as they can or should. For example they might give a million to a certain charity, but then they spend two million on themselves!

We should be like the poor woman who gives all she has, not like the rich men who gave out of abundance. But then again, giving something is much better than nothing at all. God will judge the heart, and Jesus can cover our sins.
Look Cosmo...what God wants of us is to love..really love as He loves us. Covetousness or the desire to have things of this world is only overcome when our hearts are full of Gods love. That love will cause us to give according to what we have received. One cannot walk in covetousness and Gods love at the same time... That's why God says LOVE fulfills all the law...only in love is the heart looking to give and to never take. If I love you as Christ loves, I will never covet or attempt to take from you, but will rejoice in that you have abundance and will always look to give to those in need.

I thought maybe you let loose the inner junkyard dog and the moderators stepped in.

Could be because the original post was deleted but I do not know why...I gave a great example of a greedy one...who IMO uses the word of God for filthy lucre...but there are many more (praise be to God) who do an awful lot of good...

Greetings:
If you drink beer,you think beer.
If your piggy bank is overflowing,you think about bigger pigs.
Hey,how much time is left for psalm #1.

bye

In my honest reading of scripture we are told to hate the world and give away our possessions. Many Christians don't do that (Me being one of them).

Can the rich honestly call themselves Christian, when Jesus said to lose your life and take up a cross?

I've always wondered about this, and I've been scared about my salvation because I don't see myself taking up a cross... Is there such thing as an unzealous Christian?

For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.
(2Co 8:9)

Rom 8:32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

No scripture saying we should give away everything................ Your misreading Mark 10 and what they did in Acts.......

No believe is considered by God to be poor, we have Abraham's blessing on us and an heir to all things. Now there are lots of Christians talked out of what belongs to them by religion, but we are not suppose to be poor.

Jesus never said loose your life............. he said if you try to save the life you have instead of giving it over or (loosing) it for His SAKE then your own things, own life is lost. Jesus said, without me ye can do nothing.

We don't Loose our own life, We make our life subject to him and his will, not our own.

That has zero to do with material possessions.............

The question is can we live without money? Is God enough? If God is not enough, then are we breaking the greatest commandment?
Sure, God is enough. Of course if you rely completely on Him and give away all your money then you'll be homeless and after your boss will fire you because you have no place to shower. No one likes a stinky person.

That being said, I'm completely confident that I wouldn't die. God would send me food and shelter, which is all you really need to live.

I have always found taking a vow of poverty interesting. I imagine that blessings would have to pour down from above if you gave away all of your extra money to the poor or churches and only kept what you absolutely had to. Also you would really be able to dig into the Word if there were no distractions.

As with any issue, one must stick with the scriptures. Let's do that. What scripture says we're to give up all our stuff?

If you're going to say Jesus told the rich man, I'll say you're taking it out of context. Jesus told him this because Jesus knew this guy loved his riches and Jesus tested him by telling him to give it up. He went away sorrowful showing indeed it was his god and not God. It's the LOVE of money that gets people into trouble. Many Christians in poor countries will be poor in the physical, but rich in spiritual goods - love, honesty, joy, praise, kindness. "Rich" isn't always a matter of material things. Remember, we have the blessings of Abraham, and he was one of the richest men because he got it all from trusting God, Gal 3.

The question is can we live without money? Is God enough? If God is not enough, then are we breaking the greatest commandment?
I think that's an honest question, and no doubt the love of money is the root of all sorts of evil... But God His way of giving us good things and in abundance without those things having us.

But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

It is all about balance....

Jesus commanded at least one rich man to sell everything he owned in order to find salvation. Traditionally exegesis tends to agree that wasn't a wide command to all, but that Jesus knew those things would always be a stumbling block for that specific man. However, there are a few instances in the Bible that do seem to back up the philosophy. In Acts, it talks about how the disciples sold everything and gave it to the needy, but that each was still supplied according to their needs. In honesty, as I read that, I tend to see a bit of a commune being formed. However, some people began using the "end of times" as an excuse to stop working, to which Paul responded by "If you don't work, you don't eat". We also are told that God provides for the birds, and that He will provide for us. That is something to which I can testify.

Jesus commanded at least one rich man to sell everything he owned in order to find salvation. Traditionally exegesis tends to agree that wasn't a wide command to all, but that Jesus knew those things would always be a stumbling block for that specific man. However, there are a few instances in the Bible that do seem to back up the philosophy. In Acts, it talks about how the disciples sold everything and gave it to the needy, but that each was still supplied according to their needs. In honesty, as I read that, I tend to see a bit of a commune being formed. However, some people began using the "end of times" as an excuse to stop working, to which Paul responded by "If you don't work, you don't eat". We also are told that God provides for the birds, and that He will provide for us. That is something to which I can testify.

I agree. I also think it would be safe to say that money is a stumbling block for most people, especially in western culture.

We are raised being told be successful be successful! And what's success to our culture? Not serving God, but getting a good job, making money, and being able to retire. And we know what God called the couple in the bible who saved up to retire. Fools.

I agree. I also think it would be safe to say that money is a stumbling block for most people, especially in western culture.

We are raised being told be successful be successful! And what's success to our culture? Not serving God, but getting a good job, making money, and being able to retire. And we know what God called the couple in the bible who saved up to retire. Fools.

I tend to agree, but it's not a universal truth. We cannot imply that someone who is financially successful is not a good Christian any more than we can assume that someone who is not prosperous must not be a good Christian. John Wesley once said that we should make as much as possible, save as much as possible, so that we can give as much as possible. During his ministry, there were times when he lived on 2% of what he actually made because he gave so much. That's an example of someone who could have been extremely rich, but genuinely had a heart for helping others. In our society, we have made financial gain a bit too important. We often display a lack of trust in God. I've been in full time ministry for over a year now. I don't get paid. Instead, I work a job making minimum wage to ensure that I can continue doing what God has called me to do. A few months back, I actually worked out the math. I honestly don't know how I've survived for the past year. The numbers don't add up at all. Fortunately, God is better at math than we are. He has provided. There are times I wish I made more money, and time I get frustrated and want to go look for another job, but that's not the direction God has made for me. I do what I feel I have to do for now, knowing that He will not fail me.

I don't think it is fair to say rich people can't be Christians.. Worldly blessings are also from our Father in heaven! Abraham was a rich person.. David.. They were not poor people.. I don't think it is biblical to say rich people can't be Christians.. Like other said, how we value money w.r.t. relationship to God is what matters.. When God called Abraham out, he left everything and obeyed God.. That is what is required.. Not that we give out everything and live a poor life.. God has also given responsibilities of providing for family.. So there is no harm in working hard towards being rich.. For me 2 things matter -

1) How the richness is impacting the relationship with God?
2) How the richness is bringing glory to God?

I don't think it is fair to say rich people can't be Christians.. Worldly blessings are also from our Father in heaven! Abraham was a rich person.. David.. They were not poor people.. I don't think it is biblical to say rich people can't be Christians.. Like other said, how we value money w.r.t. relationship to God is what matters.. When God called Abraham out, he left everything and obeyed God.. That is what is required.. Not that we give out everything and live a poor life.. God has also given responsibilities of providing for family.. So there is no harm in working hard towards being rich.. For me 2 things matter -

1) How the richness is impacting the relationship with God?
2) How the richness is bringing glory to God?
I agree with you. Jesus never said a rich person couldn't get into heaven, but he did say it was easier to put a camel through the head of a needle. I personally have never seen anyone put a camel through the head of a needle, so good luck richies!! ;)

I agree with you. Jesus never said a rich person couldn't get into heaven, but he did say it was easier to put a camel through the head of a needle. I personally have never seen anyone put a camel through the head of a needle, so good luck richies!! ;)
Then he said that it was not possible with man but with God all things are possible. Look I went through a lot of years living in large part as Banarenth is speaking of. I gave much up to follow Christ and now Gods blessing is upon me and He causes all things to prosper in my hands. I know Gods Will is to bless and not curse but He loves us enough to first separate us from the power that "things" have over us.

Lu 18:29 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or parents, or brethren, or wife, or children, for the kingdom of God's sake,
30 Who shall not receive manifold more in this present time, and in the world to come life everlasting.

Back