Should Christians buy swords?

Jesus said that if we buy a sword, we would die by the sword. I wanted a training sword or two, and I was going to get it today. It was in my mom's cart when I thought of this quote from Jesus. Then I asked my God if I should get the swords. Put it might have been too late. Was Jesus being literal when He said this, or exaggerating?

I think Jesus actually said something else.
Matthew 26:52 (NKJV)
But Jesus said to him, “Put your sword in its place, for all who take the sword will perish by the sword.
Can you see that it actually means if you take up the sword, rather than owning it?
I have a rather long knife in the kitchen for carving meat, is this in any way a threat? think not.
I think it's more akin to live by the sword, die by the sword. Same applies to guns.
But nothing wrong in hobbies, sports, etc.

Reactions: Juk
If you want to treat it as a toy, find something else. If you have respect for the sword, what it can do, and are not just looking for something 'cool', learning to care for and properly use a sword can be a good thing. It can develop personal responsibility.

As far as the compatibility of Christian living and weapons, Christ recognized the need for personal safety at the Lord's Supper when He advised His followers to carry swords:

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end. And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough. ( Luke 22:36-38 )

As far as living by the sword and dying by the sword, remember that when the Israelites came into Canon, there were people there already. It was taken, under God's direction, by conquest.

Please do not take any of this as trivializing conflict or weapons. Very sober consideration needs to be taken before venturing into this area of life.

I think Jesus actually said something else.
Matthew 26:52 (NKJV)
But Jesus said to him, “Put your sword in its place, for all who take the sword will perish by the sword.
Can you see that it actually means if you take up the sword, rather than owning it?
I have a rather long knife in the kitchen for carving meat, is this in any way a threat? think not.
I think it's more akin to live by the sword, die by the sword. Same applies to guns.
But nothing wrong in hobbies, sports, etc.
Oh, I wrote that verse from memory, so I didn't get it too accurately.

If you want to treat it as a toy, find something else. If you have respect for the sword, what it can do, and are not just looking for something 'cool', learning to care for and properly use a sword can be a good thing. It can develop personal responsibility.

As far as the compatibility of Christian living and weapons, Christ recognized the need for personal safety at the Lord's Supper when He advised His followers to carry swords:

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end. And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough. ( Luke 22:36-38 )

As far as living by the sword and dying by the sword, remember that when the Israelites came into Canon, there were people there already. It was taken, under God's direction, by conquest.

Please do not take any of this as trivializing conflict or weapons. Very sober consideration needs to be taken before venturing into this area of life.
I am a bit interested in sword art, and I wanted something else to do, so why not, right? Heh.

How else am I going to defend my home from the invading barbarian hordes if I don't have a sword?
I am not sure a nasty text message would scare them off.

God already gave me a sword, His Word. Hebrews 4:12

The weapons of our warfare are not carnal....
2 corinthians 10:4

If God wanted all christians to buy physical swords, he would have given us them with our bibles as necessary equipment. IDK, I dont see any particular reason to have one, what is your reason? Now, sikhs on the other hand, I think they have to have daggers on them at all times.

I am a bit interested in sword art, and I wanted something else to do, so why not, right? Heh.
Wow too cool Mr Juk,
When I was growing up I always wanted to get into fencing but in the town I lived the closest thing that i got was my dad sending me out to pull weeds from around the fence in our yard.
Blessings
Jim

If God wanted all christians to buy physical swords, he would have given us them with our bibles as necessary equipment. IDK, I dont see any particular reason to have one, what is your reason? Now, sikhs on the other hand, I think they have to have daggers on them at all times.

Lanolin my dear sweet sister but He did give us a sword.......Thee Sword of the Spirit or the word of God so when Jesus gave us a bible He gave us His Fathers sword !!
Blessings
Jim

Wow too cool Mr Juk,
When I was growing up I always wanted to get into fencing but in the town I lived the closest thing that i got was my dad sending me out to pull weeds from around the fence in our yard.
Blessings
Jim
Lol nice story. I want to do Hema though, because it seems realer than fencing, because the swords in fencing are bendy.

I want a sword because swords are cool.

Jesus said that if we buy a sword, we would die by the sword. I wanted a training sword or two, and I was going to get it today. It was in my mom's cart when I thought of this quote from Jesus. Then I asked my God if I should get the swords. Put it might have been too late. Was Jesus being literal when He said this, or exaggerating?

Good verse but lets always be contextually accurate. We see in Luke something different.

Luke 22:36-38............
Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one. 37 For I say to you that this which is written must still be accomplished in Me: ‘And He was numbered with the transgressors.’ For the things concerning Me have an end.”
38 So they said, “Lord, look, here are two swords.” And He said to them, “It is enough.”

They would need certain provisions, including a knife for preparation of food, cutting wood for fuel, and possibly to fend off robbers for which the area was noted. So, once Jesus' ordeal was over, they should make sure they each had a knife.

I want a sword because swords are cool.

Then buy one or two or three. Personally I have 7 swords/knives, I shotgun, 2 rifles and 2 hand guns.

I also have a sign in the front yard......
"This house is protected by MAX the English bulldog and when he wakes me up, a veteran with a gun and the ability to use it".

Then buy one or two or three. Personally I have 7 swords/knives, I shotgun, 2 rifles and 2 hand guns.

I also have a sign in the front yard......
"This house is protected by MAX the English bulldog and when he wakes me up, a veteran with a gun and the ability to use it".
I asked my mom to buy me two training swords.
Also, good luck with all those weapons.

As stated above, there is nothing wrong with it, just don't go around chopping up stray cats :ROFLMAO:

I personally got my first machete at 7, and I always have a firearm in the truck. There isn't anything wrong with them, you just need to respect them and their capabilities.

Well, what you going to do with it? Defend someone or attack?
I didnt buy a water gun cos it was cool, but i must admit it looks kinda cool.
I bought it to defend our chickens from being attacked by dogs. It shoots about 8 m. Theres a dog the neighbours have down the back whos been eying our chickens.

If he starts barking aggressively, i just shoot some water near him and he runs away.

Well, what you going to do with it? Defend someone or attack?
I didnt buy a water gun cos it was cool, but i must admit it looks kinda cool.
I bought it to defend our chickens from being attacked by dogs. It shoots about 8 m. Theres a dog the neighbours have down the back whos been eying our chickens.

If he starts barking aggressively, i just shoot some water near him and he runs away.
I'm going to swing it around and learn sword art, maybe kenjutsu.

Oh ok. Well, I dont know the bible says anything about martial arts. I do know that martial arts can be occult cos you under different masters and Jesus is meant to be our only master.

So just be careful you not getting into anything you cant get out of. I know some schools you spend all your time, money, etc into perfecting a discipline, and that can take you away from God, if your focus not on Him. Eg. I tried to learn ballet once. That takes a LOT of discipline.
And pain. And end wondered if those pros that do it glorify God or themselves. Although must say its beautiful to watch, but just may be a distraction.

Back