Should Christians tithe 10 percent?

You asked so I will tell you that it all depends on you. Your S/S is now your income because you are not working. BUT If you need the money you would like to give to the church to buy food or medicine then keep the money and do what you need to do...…….and do not feel guilty about it!

The Bible says that we are to give "cheerfully" and if it is a problem for you and you do not feel joyful in giving then you have your answer.
Not meant to imply that I don't give cheerfully. But, yes, my income as a widow is not enough to get by monthly without using savings yet while tithing on all of it I have met expenses. Thanks be to God. It would be good to be able to put some aside but can't as is. Just wanted answers to my question technically because I have heard and read pro's and con's on whether we should tithe on benefits from previous income. Hope someone can address that.

Not meant to imply that I don't give cheerfully. But, yes, my income as a widow is not enough to get by monthly without using savings yet while tithing on all of it I have met expenses. Thanks be to God. It would be good to be able to put some aside but can't as is. Just wanted answers to my question technically because I have heard and read pro's and con's on whether we should tithe on benefits from previous income. Hope someone can address that.
sandpiper, I am in no position to provide guidance, but I wanted you to know that your faith and desire to do what is right is inspirational. When I find myself questioning the value of mankind, people like you feed my hope and let's me know that there are so many good people left on this planet that it is worth the struggle. God bless you and I hope you find the right answer. May everyday of your life give you cause for joy and may the good Lord watch over you every day.

rtm3039

sandpiper, I am in no position to provide guidance, but I wanted you to know that your faith and desire to do what is right is inspirational. When I find myself questioning the value of mankind, people like you feed my hope and let's me know that there are so many good people left on this planet that it is worth the struggle. God bless you and I hope you find the right answer. May everyday of your life give you cause for joy and may the good Lord watch over you every day.

rtm3039

Hm. I am finding this topic both interesting and disturbing. I have read on issues such as tithing on gross vs net income and even found a calculator to determine, if you receive social security and previously tithed, how much should you tithe now.

I read an article supporting the idea of tithing based on net income. The example was simple. You have 10 sheep. During the course of a year, one sheep is killed by a wolf and you have 11 that were born. In total, you have 20 sheep (10+11-1). Your 10% is therefore 2 sheep. The author noted that he tithes on his taxable income, before it is taxed by Caesar (I added the Caesar part).

The subject of tithing is addressed in Deuteronomy 14: 22-28: “Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the Lord your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the Lord your God always. But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the Lord your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the Lord will choose to put his Name is so far away), then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the Lord your God will choose. Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice. 27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own. At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.” (NIV).

To me, and this is all in my humble opinion, it is clear that tithing is about helping those that are unable to help themselves, mostly via the good works of the church. On this, one can argue that the work you do on behalf of the church (aka: volunteering) can be considered part of “all that your fields produce each year.” I say this, because that time could otherwise be used to generate more taxable income. (I could be wrong here, but this too is just my opinion).

And, in Malachi 3:10 (NIV), the Lord says “… Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the Lord Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.

The article I read also included the following remarks: In the Old Covenant tithing was required. That’s no longer the case for us as part of the New Covenant because we are free from the curse of the law.

Therefore there is no punishment associated with not tithing. Instead, when we choose to tithe from our own free will, it releases God to be able to actively act on our behalf in two very specific ways. He can then open up additional heavenly blessings into our lives and our finances. And he can act on our behalf to prohibit the devourer from wasting away our finances.

You absolutely do not have to tithe. God will still love you just as much whether you tithe or not.”

So, what does this all mean to this humble child? Well, tithing is all about giving, which is consistent with God’s words: “I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you…” (John 15: 11-12 (NIV)). I like this, as it places the burden on us to do what is right and not to be forced into doing what we know is right (law vs faith).

In today’s reality, we all have financial responsibilities that have to be met. Granted some of these responsibilities are the result of bad financial decisions, but they still have to be met. If tithing 10% means you do not have enough to pay the credit card, you just have to pay the credit card. If not, a lawsuit is coming, and you will have to pay it then, plus court costs. If you do not pay the car note, you will end up with no transportation and that will surely impact “all that your fields produce each year.”

So I say that tithing is a good thing what we do willingly and not for the sake of satisfying some law, which, as Paul notes that “… Because they pursued it not by faith but as if it were by works. They stumbled over the stumbling stone.” (Romans 9: 32 (NIV)).

As for me, I tithe based on what I can afford, depending on my financial satiation at the time. As “things” bet better, it Is reflected in the amount I tithe. In the interim, I try to avoid wasting money on “things” that are an indulgence. I also devote as much time as possible in serving my church with my time and to help those that are less fortunate (modern day Levites). It is not a perfect solution, but it is offered willingly and that, after all, is the true test.

PS. As usual, I reserve the right to be wrong, as it is only one person’s opinion.

Rtm3039

Reference: https://newcreeations.org/god-promi...YRpNvbAcV8YPqjfJnaoBh8uq1C5sNfl4aAitZEALw_wcB

My 1st thought was that you actually earned what was in your savings and probably tithed when you earned it. By that thought then NO, you would not tithe again as that would be double.

That sounds confusing to me after I read it. What I am saying is that if you were paid $1000. a month, and you put $100 in your saving account but you gave the tithe on the $1000. you would not then tithe on the savings you receive now.

Either way, IMO you should be free of any guilt as your heart is in the right place and that makes you a cheerful giver...….IMHO!

All true.
If the parishioners of that self-identified Apostle cleaved to his teachings, after he said God created Hell to get even with man, he'd arrive at an empty church the next service. But no, instead they follow along and never do as he instructed them when hearing false teachings; confront the man that teaches falsehood.
Prayerfully one day they will wake up.

That is the scary part of your explanation. We all thought that Jim Jones died, but it seems that his spirt is still active today.

Matthew 7:22-24 ......….
"Many will say to me on that day, 'LORD, LORD, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?' 23Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

My 1st thought was that you actually earned what was in your savings and probably tithed when you earned it. By that thought then NO, you would not tithe again as that would be double.

That sounds confusing to me after I read it. What I am saying is that if you were paid $1000. a month, and you put $100 in your saving account but you gave the tithe on the $1000. you would not then tithe on the savings you receive now.

Either way, IMO you should be free of any guilt as your heart is in the right place and that makes you a cheerful giver...….IMHO!
Oh, my goodness, I don't want to get the thread side-tracked, so let's not, okay. Just saying..it seems to me you have made some obvious assumptions about my motives from your own words like " should be free of guilt, heart in right place, and makes me a cheerful giver) for asking this question in the first place. Hopefully someone here will get the question and give me an informed answer without confusion. If not, that is okay too. I know where my heart is. Remember you are talking to an 82 year old widow here who is seeking good advice, not admonishment over motives she does not have. Bless you.

Oh, my goodness, I don't want to get the thread side-tracked, so let's not, okay. Just saying..it seems to me you have made some obvious assumptions about my motives from your own words like " should be free of guilt, heart in right place, and makes me a cheerful giver) for asking this question in the first place. Hopefully someone here will get the question and give me an informed answer without confusion. If not, that is okay too. I know where my heart is. Remember you are talking to an 82 year old widow here who is seeking good advice, not admonishment over motives she does not have. Bless you.

Oh my. Please forgive me sister. I was trying to encourage you and I am sorry you did not accept it that way. I was intending to do just the opposite for you and encourage you so I apologize deeply to you and I will withdraw from this thread.

God bless you dear and be well!

Oh my. Please forgive me sister. I was trying to encourage you and I am sorry you did not accept it that way. I was intending to do just the opposite for you and encourage you so I apologize deeply to you and I will withdraw from this thread.

God bless you dear and be well!
Major, this is just a misunderstanding. In the time I have known you, you have been a great source of knowledge and guidance. Every time you respond to one of my comments, I look forward to reading your response and guidance.

rtm3039

You know, to date, our pastor's wife has never taken the stage. She shows up for service, but she has not taken the state yet. Pastor Rick is very passionate about his faith. He is currently dealing with stage 3 colon cancer, but recovering well. I wish you could here this guy do his thing - it is impressive.

rtm3039
Praying for him.
Does he have any sermons on the net? You Tube perhaps? Pastor Rick what? Last name?

Yes tithe 10 percent it is in bible but under the law and Jesus saved us from law (Rom.6:14). New testament it does not talk about tithe but to give generously (James 1:5).
God bless you as you give an advise.
No, Christians don't need to Tithe 10% because. We are not under Law. We can argue whether this was Jewish customary or for anyone under old covenant. Clearly it does not apply after Cross. However, Christians should "give" more than 10%! When government takes around 1/3rd as taxes, we have no issues. But we would have problem giving just a little more than 10% to God!

No, Christians don't need to Tithe 10% because. We are not under Law. We can argue whether this was Jewish customary or for anyone under old covenant. Clearly it does not apply after Cross. However, Christians should "give" more than 10%! When government takes around 1/3rd as taxes, we have no issues. But we would have problem giving just a little more than 10% to God!
Actually Ravindran, most of us have issues with the government taking 1/3rd, we just do not want to go to jail.

I think the underlying issue here is for people that just cannot afford the 10%, as it would mean not being able to meet other obligations (bills mostly).

rtm3039

Didnt Jesus say give to God what is Gods and to caesar what is caesars, and he was holding up a coin.

I might already have shared this in this thread, if so, forgive me. But yea thats what Jesus said. Also, since Jesus had no income...he got his tribute money from the mouth of a fish. Thanks to Peter.

I dont know if his disciples tithed their fish...but..Jesus can multiply loaves and fishes via miracles so really, he has no problem with Father providing.

The pharisees tithed their cumin and mint.
i have loads of applemint in the garden, its pretty common...it spreads everywhere lol.

What people end up doing is robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Jesus said until earth and heaven pass away, not one jot nor tittle shall disappear from the law until all is fulfilled. Earth and heaven are still here and not all in the prophecy of Messiah has been fulfilled.
What Jesus accomplished was to set aside the ceremonial law as pertained to blood sacrifice for the covering of sins. He did this as the unblemished lamb who became the propitiation, the payment, for the sins of the whole world. The last blood sacrifice on the sin altar that was the cross of calvary. Becasue old testament law said, cursed is anyone who hangs on a tree. Jesus became the curse of sin for us, so that we could be free of our sins through faith and by God's grace that set the entire salvation process into action.

As pertains to tithing, Jesus told his Disciples to leave their purse behind as they departed to spread the good news, the gospel, so that they'd be sustained by those that received them and the message.
That was in its own form , tithing.

Matthew 10 (ASV) 7 And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand. 8 Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, cast out demons: freely ye received, freely give.9 Get you no gold, nor silver, nor brass in your purses; 10 no wallet for [your] journey, neither two coats, nor shoes, nor staff: for the laborer is worthy of his food. 11 And into whatsoever city or village ye shall enter, search out who in it is worthy; and there abide till ye go forth.
12 And as ye enter into the house, salute it. 13 And if the house be worthy, let your peace come upon it: but if it be not worthy, let your peace return to you. 14 And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, as ye go forth out of that house or that city, shake off the dust of your feet.
15 Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment, than for that city.
16 Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

Matthew 23:23 NLT
“What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens, but you ignore the more important aspects of the law—justice, mercy, and faith. You should tithe, yes, but do not neglect the more important things.

You will enjoy it. Remember to wait until the 25 minute mark to see Pastor Rick do his thing.

rtm3039
I did enjoy the sermon. I wanted to update you on that. :) Thank you again for sharing with me.

Jesus said until earth and heaven pass away, not one jot nor tittle shall disappear from the law until all is fulfilled. Earth and heaven are still here and not all in the prophecy of Messiah has been fulfilled.
What Jesus accomplished was to set aside the ceremonial law as pertained to blood sacrifice for the covering of sins. He did this as the unblemished lamb who became the propitiation, the payment, for the sins of the whole world. The last blood sacrifice on the sin altar that was the cross of calvary. Becasue old testament law said, cursed is anyone who hangs on a tree. Jesus became the curse of sin for us, so that we could be free of our sins through faith and by God's grace that set the entire salvation process into action.

As pertains to tithing, Jesus told his Disciples to leave their purse behind as they departed to spread the good news, the gospel, so that they'd be sustained by those that received them and the message.
That was in its own form , tithing.

Matthew 10 (ASV) 7 And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand. 8 Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, cast out demons: freely ye received, freely give.9 Get you no gold, nor silver, nor brass in your purses; 10 no wallet for [your] journey, neither two coats, nor shoes, nor staff: for the laborer is worthy of his food. 11 And into whatsoever city or village ye shall enter, search out who in it is worthy; and there abide till ye go forth.
12 And as ye enter into the house, salute it. 13 And if the house be worthy, let your peace come upon it: but if it be not worthy, let your peace return to you. 14 And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, as ye go forth out of that house or that city, shake off the dust of your feet.
15 Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment, than for that city.
16 Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

Matthew 23:23 NLT
“What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens, but you ignore the more important aspects of the law—justice, mercy, and faith. You should tithe, yes, but do not neglect the more important things.

I did enjoy the sermon. I wanted to update you on that. :) Thank you again for sharing with me.
QuintessenceOfDust, I am glad to hear you enjoyed the sermon. I find Pastor Rick to be a fantastic communicator. As for the pas about tithing, I am not all that sure I get what you are saying.

rtm3039

QuintessenceOfDust, I am glad to hear you enjoyed the sermon. I find Pastor Rick to be a fantastic communicator. As for the pas about tithing, I am not all that sure I get what you are saying.

rtm3039

Not to be argumentative, but IMOP the reason why Jesus told the disciples to leave there money bag behind was so that they would depend completely on the guiding and help of God.

The person who goes to the wilderness to seek the lost sheep, will be exposed to hunger and cold, and other inconveniences; he must therefore resign himself to God, depending on his providence for the necessaries of life.

Actually Ravindran, most of us have issues with the government taking 1/3rd, we just do not want to go to jail.

I think the underlying issue here is for people that just cannot afford the 10%, as it would mean not being able to meet other obligations (bills mostly).

rtm3039
I don't to argue with this. I think what you stated would be exception and not the norm. Most of the people put themselves in a position of not being able to afford to tithe 10%. Because they load up stuff through so many loans. And they scramble to pay their bills. I don't think that is a valid reason to say I cannot afford to tithe. May be people buy things which they want rather than need. And cannot tithe anymore. I do understand people who earn so little that they have to use up all their money to provide basic needs for their families. I have known many people who tithe even in such situations. That's why I say tithing being non affordable should be exception and not norm.

Back