Should Christians tithe 10 percent?

I don't to argue with this. I think what you stated would be exception and not the norm. Most of the people put themselves in a position of not being able to afford to tithe 10%. Because they load up stuff through so many loans. And they scramble to pay their bills. I don't think that is a valid reason to say I cannot afford to tithe. May be people buy things which they want rather than need. And cannot tithe anymore. I do understand people who earn so little that they have to use up all their money to provide basic needs for their families. I have known many people who tithe even in such situations. That's why I say tithing being non affordable should be exception and not norm.

Agreed.

We just have to have a new car.
And of course we have to have the new 4K TV.
What about food? We just have to eat out every day don't we.

Just like month I did a financial budget for a church member who "did not know how she could pay for her medications".

I totaled up her eat out amounts at MacDonald's etc. and it was $355.00 for 1 month.
Her Cable TV which she just had to have was $145.00 a month.
And of course she could not live with out the internet which was another $55.00 a month.

In only about 1 hour I was able to show here how to put $$600 a month into her pocket and then be able to give to the church.

Do you think that she jumped at the opportunity to do so????? THINK AGAIN!

Art Linkletter said about 50 years ago...……"People are Funny".

I don't to argue with this. I think what you stated would be exception and not the norm. Most of the people put themselves in a position of not being able to afford to tithe 10%. Because they load up stuff through so many loans. And they scramble to pay their bills. I don't think that is a valid reason to say I cannot afford to tithe. May be people buy things which they want rather than need. And cannot tithe anymore. I do understand people who earn so little that they have to use up all their money to provide basic needs for their families. I have known many people who tithe even in such situations. That's why I say tithing being non affordable should be exception and not norm.
Ravindran, what you say is hard to argue.

I believe most of us live with what we want and not what we need. I have more that one TV set, which is a want not a need. We have a pool, which is a want and not a need. I also have more than one paid of shoes, which is also a want and not a need. To be honest with you, I don't think I know anyone that lives only on what they need.

Not sure about the "exception" vs the "norm." I guess you would be right, if people lived off of need and not want. Granted, 10% might not look like a great deal, but it can be. I guess it depends on many variables, but I get your point.

rtm3039

QuintessenceOfDust, I am glad to hear you enjoyed the sermon. I find Pastor Rick to be a fantastic communicator. As for the pas about tithing, I am not all that sure I get what you are saying.

rtm3039
About the tithing in my post that you asked about. Jesus told his Apostles they were to be sustained by those to whom they delivered the good news. Food, clothing, shelter.
It wasn't a percentage amount. It was simply a quid pro quo type situation. The Apostles would bring the good news, and the hearers would tend to their needs in exchange. Food, clothing, shelter. And then the Apostles would move on and continue like that.
Personally, I don't believe Jesus wanted buildings and pu

About the tithing in my post that you asked about. Jesus told his Apostles they were to be sustained by those to whom they delivered the good news. Food, clothing, shelter.
It wasn't a percentage amount. It was simply a quid pro quo type situation. The Apostles would bring the good news, and the hearers would tend to their needs in exchange. Food, clothing, shelter. And then the Apostles would move on and continue like that.
Personally, I don't believe Jesus wanted buildings and pu

I agree.

I would only add that times have changed a little.

Today, a preacher can only eat so much fried chicken before his family runs away and leaves him.

They call it frugal hedonism people that actually have enough money but live like they dont have any.

Yes some people are funny and never heard of something called budgeting.
Or doing without. It amazed me when someone I know complained she didnt have any money yet she could afford the latest iphone and overseas trips.

Having the latest this or that is a bit of a con IMHO. If you dont watch tv or listen commerical radio and put a no junk mail sign on your letter box then you wont be prey to advertisers trying to tout their wares. But then there are probably some people who actually do want to stay up and watch informercials.

I am happy to give to God what he has blessed me with. I enjoy supporting my church, missions, helping others, etc. I think as born again believers in Christ we should support the church, missions and those who struggle. I like serving God and praising him. I think giving is a form of praise.

Back