So, what makes us so different?!?

So, what makes us so different?!?

We are to shine as lights in the world...so what would make us true lights to the world?

There are millions of people in the world that live very good lives. In fact their behaviors are as righteous as you can get. Example: In Norway, (and in other places as well) it is normal to park your stroller outside of the store you are about to shop in and then go in and shop while your baby sleeps in the stroller! Talk about good behavior being normal!! It is normal and typical behavior to not steal, kill or harm in anyway. SO, then does good and "righteous" behavior make a person stand out?

Even here in the US most people try and live good lives and be good citizens...so if the church touts and preaches good behavior as the light we are to be shining...then it is a light that shines among many other lights that are just as bright!!

So, again, what would make Christians stand out...as Christ stood out (Christian means "little Christ")...to the world? Christ attracted people as moths to a flame...yet, sadly, we are not doing that.

Oh, yes, there are still some coming to Christ despite our dimness...and all of our divisions...and even how oppressive and indifferent the church has been to all the pain that is all around it. But this is ONLY because of God's grace...

What is that thing that we are missing???? How are we missing the mark??

We are different because the Spirit of God lives within us and He changed our heart. But at times we don't let His love and light shine through us. We do things our way and say what we want instead of let Him speak through us and live through us

What are we missing?

(Christian means "little Christ")...to the world? Christ attracted people as moths to a flame...yet, sadly, we are not doing that.

Oh, yes, there are still some coming to Christ despite our dimness...and all of our divisions...and even how oppressive and indifferent the church has been to all the pain that is all around it. But this is ONLY because of God's grace...

Jenny, not sure what Church you attend, but our Church sends over 60,000 dollars a week in free material all over the globe. We are believing God to expand it more, which means more money, but what is money if the Lord supplies? We just need more request. This is not counting the millions of downloads that are paid in Bandwidth. The material is top quality and in nice CD cases.

Also Jenny, I would like to point out Churches are not indifferent to pain. It's not the Church, but it's the heart of the people. Even on this forum, people ask for help and advice, but if that advice means believing something and Obeying God, many won't follow it. It's not the fault of the anointed posters of the forum, there is some awesome, and sound Godly advice. Jesus put the responsibility on the Hearer.

If you mean we should feed the poor and put them in homes, that is not the mission of the Church. Jesus said go preach the Gospel to every creature, not feed the creature. We should be led and do what we can, but in no way should we support rebellion and enable people to continue on destructive paths. Someone that is poor and broke, is not being willing and obedient, and will not eat the good of the Land. God's provision if for everyone, that will believe and accept His terms, and those terms start with Jesus.

The Word Christian is in a sense Christ. but the term is derived from the Hebrew root Messiah, which means Anointed one of God. God's Anointed........ and it is by no means little, it is the same anointing Jesus carried to heal the sick and break the bondage of Satan over peoples lives.

Though there are divisions among doctrine. There is still good work being done by lots of different denomination types. It's not as bad as you think, it's just the ones that put their mouth on others seem to stand out.

Jenny, I am not sure where you get this view, we are not missing the mark, and the Gates of Hell shall not prevail. I would strongly suggest you get in a Spirit filled church where the power of God is strong and see how it's suppose to be done. Your view is very narrow and not indicative of how the Real body of Christ is doing. It is estimated that over 20,000 people an hour are born again because of the efforts of these so called churches missing the mark. The number is probably higher.

So, Jenny, we are NOT missing the Mark. Post like this are not good, because some people on the forum have sold out to God, and are seeing awesome things. I myself am one of them, and I don't see defeat or failure anywhere in sight.

Be blessed.

So, again, what would make Christians stand out...as Christ stood out (Christian means "little Christ")...to the world? Christ attracted people as moths to a flame...yet, sadly, we are not doing that.

One thing that I have to say is there are Christians and there are Christians in name only and that will always be as long as time . If you belong to a church that preaches the whole Word and the people are praising and worshipping in spirit and in truth , myself I cannot see I am missing anything .

If we want to project on other people and what they are doing or not doing then we are not fulfilling our mandate by following Jesus and His promises . We need to get our eyes off people , cause they will always fail but our God never fails .

Of course you and I are not perfect ( at least I am not ) and never will be but we must focus on Jesus and put Him first . I am not responsible for all the peoples in the worldand the choices they make but I am responsible to spead the gospel . I am responsible for myself and in the end when the rubber meets the road , and when I see Jesus , I want Him to say " well done thou good and faithful servant .

Here’s my 2 cents.

It’s not “what” we do that is supposed to draw people towards the Christian faith. Everything we physically do is of the physical realm.
It’s the spiritual realm that is important. Many churches don’t do anything with the spiritual. In fact, many churches teach that things of the spirit don’t exist today. They focus on just the physical.

1Co 14:22 So that tongues are not a sign to those who believe, but to those who do not believe. But prophesying is not to those who do not believe, but to those who believe.
1Co 14:23 Therefore if the whole church has come together, and all speak in languages, and if uninstructed ones or unbelievers come in, will they not say that you rave?

Chapter 14 in 1Corinthians talks about the spiritual things among believers and unbelievers.
I would recommend reading the entire chapter several times and then see where it leads you.

UOTE]Even here in the US most people try and live good lives and be good citizens...so if the church touts and preaches good behavior as the light we are to be shining...then it is a light that shines among many other lights that are just as bright!!
You are quite right many unsaved people do a lot of good in this world but let me see if this will help answer your question.
TDo the unsaved forgive in circumstances that others won't. How many will turn the other cheek? Do you see them loving their enemies and blessing those that curse them? How many would actually feed their enemies? How many would take the the coat off their own backs and give it to someone in need? And so on...these are some of the things which the Christian should be doing and this is what makes us different....doing those things for The Lord that our old nature would never do..... Its these things which make us different which set us apart...that would make us" stand out "as you put it

It hurts my heart, if I truly understand what you are saying here. I didn't write what I did to start an argument. God does not need your defense...in fact, God wants us to continually challenge ourselves to grow, THUS my original question.

God IS love and Jesus was the perfect and IS the perfect personification of Him. This means...if you will take a look at how love is defined in scripture...that God is concerned about the whole person, not just that the person is converted.

Jesus more then not, met peoples needs first, as He knew that a starving person probably won't hear the gospel very well...and He also wanted people to get the RIGHT impression of God! That God cares about the whole person!...NOT just that they are converted. Jesus knew that the ground needs to be soft and ready for seed...and if you read scripture, you'll know what happens when the ground is hard. Meeting a person where they are at...which Jesus was GREAT at!...readys the ground. Jesus genuinely loved people...He wasn't just out for numbers!

It is ultra biblical to have a humble attitude. It is the poor in Spirit that will blessed. But you speak of your church as tho they need very little of anything...that they have it all together and doing wonderfully. This is sad...because it is the last that will be first...it is those that continually hunger and thirst (and don't brag about being full) are the ones that will be filled. AND if your religion is anything, then you will be visiting orphans and widows and, yes, feeding His sheep! You will be as Christ to the world...which is showing Love, because that is exactly what God IS.

Or don't you know who your neighbor is? Jesus said to go and act like the Good Samaritan that loved...when others just pasted by. (1 John 2...) If you claim to be intimate with God then you will be living the kind of life Jesus lived...truly caring and having compassion for people.

<<< Rev. 3 >>>

Actually, yes...I see the world all the time, getting their hands dirty. Being good citizens and going the extra mile. It is also interesting that you said "...which the Christian should be doing".

I think we continually need to be challenging and encouraging each other to grow and become more mature in our understandings of the magnitude of the Love God speaks about...as it is not a love like you and I have. It is a love without end and has a power that can transform...if we become convinced of that fact. Yet, I believe that we, the church, as a whole, is still full of itself...as the Laodicean church...and we keep a cap on what the Love of God can do in this world and in us. This is because there is still legalism in the church...and the bible says that even a little leaven leavens the whole lump.

I would encourage you to not be intimidated, but be challenged (I am...I don't leave myself out of this at all) to be convinced of the great power that resides in the love of Christ and therefore show it at every turn...and there are many "turns" everyday. >>>>Galatians<<<< Love completely fulfills all of God's requirments...and if we have been convinced of it's power and live this life of love, then it will not only draw the other person to God, but will perfect us as well, without us even trying to be good! Walking this life in the Spirit WILL produce the fruits of the Spirit...and because darkness cannot reside where light is, then walking in the light (putting our focus outside of ourselves onto others = loving others and etc...)will naturally produce goodness without even trying.

Anyway, what I am challenging US to do is to take a second look at the how God says He IS love and what that truly means in how we live our lives and what we focus on...the OT focused on rules and the law...we are now in a new covenant, where God is Personified and where we realize that the only thing the law can do is expose sin, it cannot remedy it.......but, Love can!..because it affects profoundly both the lover and the lovee.

Love. Love in all it's power. God IS love...meaning, a love that is something MUCH more then we think it is. I believe we have set it aside because we still define it the way the world defines it...as fluff and something nice and one of a number of other Christian things that we feel we have to do. But it is generally speaking, not our focus. Even tho the word says that love fulfills the law, the church still (generally) teaches trying to be good/following the law. In Galatians and 1st John it speaks loudly about this...that if a person is living deeply in God's love...and that if it is the focus...then one won't need to fight against sin, because you can't love (as a way of life) and sin (cause hurt) at the same time. However, you have to be convinced of this...or it just becomes another task that you are "trying" to do. We each do things everyday that we barely think about, because we are convinced that they are important. They become second nature. This is how it is when it comes to walking in the Spirit (which love is the 1st fruit). If we are convinced (thru the understanding of the Word and the HS) that Christ's love is more powerful then anything when that light is uncovered/unleashed and love IS God's highest calling for us in our everyday lives - when and where ever we go......then it will not be hard or burdensome...and it will naturally produce goodness and peace in the lover as well as draw the lovee towards God. IT will be that one unequivical thing that we have that the world does not, but will be drawn to...as people long ago were drawn to Christ. THEN, people will either be flooding to Christ...or hating the power of it!

It is ultra biblical to have a humble attitude. It is the poor in Spirit that will blessed. But you speak of your church as tho they need very little of anything...that they have it all together and doing wonderfully. This is sad...because it is the last that will be first...it is those that continually hunger and thirst (and don't brag about being full) are the ones that will be filled. AND if your religion is anything, then you will be visiting orphans and widows and, yes, feeding His sheep! You will be as Christ to the world...which is showing Love, because that is exactly what God IS.

I am not sure if you are addressing me here but I am sorry if I gave you the wrong impression . No my church is not perfect and no body's is . In no way am I bragging and if you got that impression , well it is sad . I do not have a religion . I have a relationship with Jesus Christ and follow His teaching and am not tooting my horn here and evey one who knows me on this forum knows what I am doing . I am very sorry if I gave you the worng impression .

Sometimes written words are are interpreted different by each reader but in no way do I not show love and Christ is my first love and I project and want to eminate Him in all I do and say .

What i was saying is that yes Many churches in N. America are just people who are pew warmers and want to hear tickle their ears messages . But there are also many churches that believe in the power of the Holy Spirit with speaking in tongues and they are not necessarily one denomination .

I see where you are going with this and yes " love " is our ultimate goal but if we do not have the saving knowledge and the love of Jesus in our hearts then it is futile . Yes there are many people's who do good in the world and in fact can make us ashamed but if they do not know Jeus as their Saviour , then their works will not get them to heaven .

You are quite right many unsaved people do a lot of good in this world but let me see if this will help answer your question.
TDo the unsaved forgive in circumstances that others won't. How many will turn the other cheek? Do you see them loving their enemies and blessing those that curse them? How many would actually feed their enemies? How many would take the the coat off their own backs and give it to someone in need? And so on...these are some of the things which the Christian should be doing and this is what makes us different....doing those things for The Lord that our old nature would never do..... Its these things which make us different which set us apart...that would make us" stand out "as you put it

Yes this is what I am saying about the unsaved as well . They think by their goodness that that will earn them brownie points .

By our fruit people should know us . We should stand out among the crowd and people should see Jesus in us . We arfe the salt and light of the world ... Amen

Hebrews 10:24
And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds

Jenny.............What Church are you speaking of.....

Jenny, with all due respect. Your second post on this forum, and all of a sudden you get this notion that someone is missing the Mark. Wrong Forum Dear Sister.

It is ultra biblical to have a humble attitude. It is the poor in Spirit that will blessed. But you speak of your church as tho they need very little of anything...that they have it all together and doing wonderfully. This is sad...because it is the last that will be first...it is those that continually hunger and thirst (and don't brag about being full) are the ones that will be filled.

Mat 5:3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 5:4
Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
Mat 5:5
Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
Mat 5:6
Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
I think you missed the point Sister. We don't have need of anything because God supply's all our needs.
We know where the stuff comes from, and we lack no good thing.

Psa 34:10 The young lions do lack, and suffer hunger: but they that seek the LORD shall not want any good thing.

You also misunderstand what "Poor in spirit" means. Jesus is talking about Heaven, those hurting and needing the truth and light. (How hard for the rich, and self sufficient to look to Jesus for the answers) Human spirits that have yet accepted Jesus. They are broken and in Satanic bondage. Jesus is the answer.
You as a Christian by no means have a "Poor spirit" Not even close. You are born again, by the power of the Word of God. God's Word is far from poor, and does not produce poor things.

1Pe 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

First Last, Last First.
Go back, and reread that again................ What was Jesus referring to? (Mark 9:35, Mark 10:31, Luke 13:30, Matt 20:16) If you need Help with this, just ask. Pray and ask the Lord to show you what he meant. A great reference was this.

Luk 13:28 There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrust out.

Why did he say the last first, and first Last. In each Gospel, what was it a reference to?

Gal 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Sister, you have some good things to say, but don't label Christians, as in how WE miss the mark. A whole lot of us are doing what we can and are following the plan of God. We are not even close to missing the Mark. There are many very strong Churches out there, made of different denominations. They are doing exactly the Part they are suppose to do. Nobody can cover every part, we make up the Body, and the Body is World wide. An eye can't be a Ear, and just because we don't see that Eye trying to be a ear, is no indication that the Eye is missing the Mark on anything.

Jenny, I would suggest you hang out and learn some things. You come off as someone that thinks the body of Christ is not doing enough, and you have the answer for it. The truth is, you have tons more revelation that you need, and putting all your brothers and Sisters in a "General Label is not Good. We are far from defeated, and not short on Love.

Be Blessed.

Recognizing our Poverty .

Matthew 5 : 1-3…… Now when he saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, 2and he began to teach them saying:
3"Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus started the sermon about the Beatitudes with “ Blessed “ - The Greek word for” blessed” is” markarios “ , which means to be happy .

But that is not the kind of happiness we think of such as a nice vacation , sitting on the beach , sipping on a cold drink ---- well you get the picture.

No , No . It is a deep down happiness that is the joy of the Lord and a spiritual happiness . A happiness that recognizes that we are “ poor in spirit”

In ourselves we cannot do anything and Jesus told us in John 15:5….. "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.

Paul also recognized that without Jesus he was “spiritually poor “ because he said “ I know nothing good dwells in meRomans 7:18 .

Without Christ we are not capable of behaving as God designed us .

So in conclusion --- It is not humanly possible to do anything of value that lasts , unless we accept Christ as our all .

Yes we can repent all we want and it will last for a while . But bottom line , with Christ we can say “ I can’t , but You can “

When we recognize the first beatitude as having “ poverty of spirit “ then all the riches of heaven are available to us .

1Jn 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

1Pe 1:23
Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

Paul also recognized that without Jesus he was “spiritually poor “ because he said “ I know nothing good dwells in meRomans 7:18 .
Dusty if you read above Romans 7:18 you will find...........

Rom 7:6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

The issue for Paul was not walking in the nature of His Born again spirit. Your Born again spirit is not corrupted or poor. It is your life connection to God. Paul was allowing the Old man to rise up, and not follow his born again spirit (His new spirit). The same Heart, spirit that God shed his love in by the Holy Ghost.

It is also not possible that we are spiritually poor.

Eph 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

The Word of God can separate what is our soul thinking and what is in our spirit. Our spirit is born again, and we should listen to our spirit. The Holy Spirit communicates with our born again spirit, not our mind/soul

So we were in poverty, and had a poor spirit, but no more. We are now citizens of Heaven, and God is our Father. Our born again spirit is what connects us to the Holy Spirit and God's Kingdom. The Kingdom of God lives in us.

If we starve our born again spirit, (No Word, no Prayer) Then our flesh side can take over. WE have to be disobedient to allow this.

I just ask you Dusty to look over this once more. God did not create a poor spirit in us. He created one with his Love shed abroad it, on that is strong, one that can not sin because he seed remains. That is the spirit we have....

Be Blessed.

I will never ever believe I have enough...I have been there, done that. God is too big and broad and deep and infinite to be able to know everything there is to know, about all the Spiritual things there is to know. This is where my sadness is...is that in the last 30 yrs I have seen the church become more defensive in their positions to the bitter end...instead of having an attitude...yes, attitude...of humility. An attitude that says that God is God and and because we are human - our hearts will continually be open to growth, from faith to faith, from milk to meat, from glory to glory. You can use all kinds of scripture to say you need nothing...that you already have it all...but God is too big for you to have Him all. Oh, yes, I am completely saved and have the HS completely, but I am not completely full. I am excited to know that there will be more of Him tomorrow and then the next day. That I will continually have more to learn from my Father as I sit at His knee. Now, when I do not understand something, I do not fret, because I know that there is so much more to learn about life and life in God, tomorrow.

Word ofaith ...... Mybe this should be taken up on another thread . I am sorry to divert this thread but will just elaborate on poor in spirit and be done ... please excuse me Jenny .If you want to continue this discussion please go to Bible Study .

http://www.christianforumsite.com/bible-studies/28355-recognize-our-poverty.html

“Poor in spirit” means to be humble. Humility is the realization that all your gifts and blessings come from the grace of God. To have poverty of spirit means to be completely empty and open to the Word of God. When we are an empty cup and devoid of pride, we are humble. Humility brings an openness and an inner peace, allowing one to do the will of God.
It is pride, the opposite of humility, that brings misery. For pride brings anger and the seeking of revenge, especially when one is offended. If every man were humble and poor in spirit, there would be no war!

Ok getting back to topic ,and I am sorry for the diversion ,

And the topic of the thread ... " What makes us so different "

We are different because we are in the world but not of the world . We are born again Christians who are misssionaries to the lost and dying world . Jesus told us to go into all the world and preach the gospel so as Christians that is our mandate and does not necessarily mean we are called to go to the mission field but we are missionaries right in out own community . We are Christ's hands and feet extended and we can show His love by giving and sharing with our neibours .

I don't know what you mean by what is missing and how are we misssing the mark because if we are spirit filled Christians we will be following in Jesus footsteps and patterning our lives after Him .

This is where my sadness is...is that in the last 30 yrs I have seen the church become more defensive in their positions to the bitter end
Jenny, Dear sister, Please tell us what Church Your talking about.................. It could be YOU need to change churches.

You have also been given scripture to show some areas of thinking you have that needs changed. You don't respond. This forum is for Growth, and to get out of our fold to learn past the limited Doctrine we are all subject to. You need to address peoples post and their scriptural evidence, and not just be stuck in your own bubble. That is what a forum is for. Now go back, and get addressing.

Dusty: I gave you scriptures, but I am referring to "Human born again spirit" Your talking about Humility and pride... feelings and all flesh related. Jesus only used the term poor in spirit once, and it was those not signed up for Heaven yet. The broken down do listen more when hope is given to them. The Term "Poverty spirit" Is not even a scriptural reference to something that would describe a believer. So, I can tell that we are having a term issue, like "Slain in the Spirit" and looking at this again, I think I understand where this comes from. I was looking at a object and Your looking at a condition. Not even looking at the same thing. I am sure we agree, once we fix the terms. Your right........ lets save it for another thread.

Breaking it Down, With Scripture. Conclusion.

Dusty
: Please bear with me.......Wrote.

No my church is not perfect and no body's is .
Why this comment? Why cater to nonsense. Dusty you were just posting how awesome your church is. Now you become a Judge and call it not perfect? Are you in a position to Judge this? and just who's Church are you judging? Comments like this are very dangerous.

Eph 5:27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

Does you Church willfully disobey the Head? Jesus?
Is Jesus not able to fix his own Church if it needs fixed. Does he not continue to give instructions to those that listen?
Who's Church you not calling perfect? Who made you Judge?

I only say it this way to make us stop and think of things we say. I only know this, because the Lord corrected me one time.

Rom 14:4
Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

Perfect means Complete without need to add to. That is what perfect means. A Church will continue to Grow and expand if the Church is in the Will of God. If not? then Who's the judge of it?
Jesus said I Build my church, and the Gates of Hell shall not prevail.

Churches are suppose to grow. They may make mistakes along the way, may miss God a few times, but it is no indication of not being perfect because the Head is perfect, and the one doing the building. Remember, perfect simply means complete.

If a Church is suppose to be doing what it is suppose to do, then it's complete and perfect to the point of it's growth. If a Church is not growing, and things are wrong, then we dare not comment about it unless the Lord has put us in a position of authority to be the judge of it, and responsible for fixing the things wrong. The rest of us, believe the best and hope the best.

I am done with this thread.................

Be Blessed.

I know “THE” Church is supposed to grow. But I don’t necessarily think “A” Church is supposed to grow.
I could be wrong, but I can’t think of any Scripture that talks about any particular Church, (as we call them today) and how it is supposed to grow.

That is of course if you’re talking about numbers. If so, numbers don’t mean much when compared to unity. If there is a 1,000 member Church, but it has no unity, it’s close to being a dead Church.

Back