SOAP DEVOTIONAL - LUKE 2 STUDY

Greetings all,

I will continue to try something new on this forum. I would like to see if we can engage in a Bible study using the forums. I hope to simulate a small group setting, this is open to everyone.

1) We are attempting to work our way through the gospel of Luke.

2) We will not tolerate negative comments made about a person or persons.

3) We are using the S.O.A.P. approach which = Scripture - Observation - Application - Prayer.

... 3a) Scripture text from the Gospel of Luke.

What does S.O.A.P. mean? & How to SOAP!

S– The S stands for Scripture- you physically write out the scripture……you’ll be amazed that what God will reveal to you just by taking the time to slow down and actually write out what you are reading!

O– The O stands for observation- what do you see in the verses that you’re reading? Who is the audience? Is there a repetition of words? What words stand out to you?

A– The A stands for Application- this is when God’s Word becomes personal. What is God saying to me today? How can I apply what I just read to my own personal life? What changes do I need to make? Is there an action that I need to take?

P– And finally P stands for Prayer. Pray God’s Word back to Him. If He has revealed something to you during this time in His Word, pray about it. Confess if He has revealed some sin that is in your life.

Studying God’s Word like this can take as little or as long as you have time to give. Some days it can take just 10 or 15 minutes, other days longer.

READING LUKE CHAPTER 2
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+2

S
Now there was a man in Jerusalem called Simeon, who was righteous and devout.He was waiting for the consolation of Israel,and the Holy Spirit was on him.26 It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not die before he had seen the Lord’s Messiah.27 Moved by the Spirit, he went into the temple courts. When the parents brought in the child Jesus to do for him what the custom of the Law required,28 Simeon took him in his arms and praised God,
LUKE 2:25-28

O
These four verses really stand out to me because not only is Simeon's character revealed scriptures says he was righteous and devout but also it speaks how the Spirit of God worked in his life. Three key points in this passage 1. The Holy Spirit was on him,. 2. The Holy Spirit Revealed to him. 3. Simeon was also Moved or Led by the Spirit.
The powerful presence of the Spirit in Simeon's life defined who he was and guided what he did and brought him to God's place at God's time with God's message. No wonder Simeon praised God!

A
Giving my life to serving Christ isn't a one time decision; it’s done consistently over time.

P
Father I thank you you for your Grace, mercy and love. I rejoice that you still use people today to speak your word and, will and promises. I rejoice that I find my righteousness in you. I ask that you forgive me when i try to obtain righteousness or devoutness by human effort. I ask that Lord I would be seeking and looking for the ways that you are working today in my life and community. Grant me that I may be like Simeon a man that the Spirit Empowered, The Spirit Revealed to him and a man that was led by you in Jesus name I pray Amen!

Back