Speaking In Tongues - Can It Be Controlled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luke "I don't believe it" Yoda "and that is why you failed"
Sorry I quoted star wars but it is along the same lines. We have faith God is who He says He is and that He can do everything He says He can do but we fail to believe He will do it in our own lives

Luke "I don't believe it" Yoda "and that is why you failed"
Sorry I quoted star wars but it is along the same lines. We have faith God is who He says He is and that He can do everything He says He can do but we fail to believe He will do it in our own lives
Right, James wrote, you have not because you ask not, you ask and receive not because you don't ask in faith. That a man who doubts is double minded, and cannot receive from God.

Yes, but they are so deceived by the churches that they are adamantly against your position.
And they think they can use Scripture to back them up.
However, nowhere does it say that God's signs, wonders, and miracles will cease
before Jesus returns ... because that's God's method of spreading His gospel.
Note: most denominations gave up years ago using 1 Cor 13:10 as their excuse!
So, now they have no Scriptural excuse.

Paul preached the full gospel of Christ
Romans 15:19
in mighty signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God,
so that from Jerusalem and round about to Illyricum
I have fully preached the gospel of Christ.

Today's churches preach half a gospel ... all because of UNBELIEF.
That's why I don't like to attend a building...

Right, James wrote, you have not because you ask not, you ask and receive not because you don't ask in faith. That a man who doubts is double minded, and cannot receive from God.
So, with enough faith you can get God to give you something against His will?

No of course God don't act against His own Will...His Word is His Will...
Thank you, I agree, God will not go against His will no matter how much faith we have when we ask.

You do know that is a bible verse? You guys keep trying to put words in peoples mouth, just so you can make some charge against them. Its shameful that you call your self a moderator on this forum, with your behavior over past couple of days.
That seems to be a classic case of "The Pot calling the Kettle Black." Just review all those posts with 'love hearts' that have appeared over the last few pages of this thread alone. See how much speaking ill of others, how much twisting of others words is occurring, how much self righteous / unrighteous judgment of others is there for the world to read Mitspa.
================================================================
I want to return for the moment to your earlier point about the Holy Spirit not changing. In post #52 you posted
Right the Holy Spirit does not change...its the same Holy Spirit that came in the beginning that is now at work in the real Church.
While I agree 100.000% with that as a statement (without context), I get the feeling that you are really saying that because the Holy Spirit at that time did certain things a certain way, by His very nature, He is now bound by those actions to continue without change? Maybe I have misunderstood your point?
Indeed the Holy Spirit that came at Pentecost is the same Holy Spirit that was there in Genesis 1. Only His actions were somewhat different, though He was even then, at that early stage working to glorify Christ, even as He is still working to glorify Christ, as you know.

Last edited:
That seems to be a classic case of "The Pot calling the Kettle Black." Just review all those posts with 'love hearts' that have appeared over the last few pages of this thread alone. See how much speaking ill of others, how much twisting of others words is occurring, how much self righteous / unrighteous judgment of others is there for the world to read Mitspa.
================================================================
I want to return for the moment to your earlier point about the Holy Spirit not changing. In post #52 you posted
While I agree 100.000% with that as a statement (without context), I get the feeling that you are really saying that because the Holy Spirit at that time did certain things a certain way, by His very nature, He is now bound by those actions to continue without change? Maybe I have misunderstood your point?
Indeed the Holy Spirit that came at Pentecost is the same Holy Spirit that was there in Genesis 1. Only His actions were somewhat different, though He was even then, at that early stage working to glorify Christ, even as He is still working to glorify Christ, as you know.
So how does this relate to the topic of the thread... The Holy Spirit is the same and the bible is the only standard acceptable to me and many others.

Well Mitspa it relates directly to a few posts by yourself, and some others. So you judge for yourself if your posts relate to the topic of this thread or not. That will answer your question I believe.

Well Mitspa it relates directly to a few posts by yourself, and some others. So you judge for yourself if your posts relate to the topic of this thread or not. That will answer your question I believe.
Yes my post have been directly related, except when I had to deal with these attacks that are not related to the topic. :)

To set the context clear, I don't speak in tongues. And I do believe the gift is available today. Having said that, I see most of the people who speak in tongues are in somewhat uncontrollable state. That is, they cannot stop it themselves and it is very hard for them. It looks like they are pretty much in a different kind of world. But when Paul speaks about speaking in tongues in a corporate worship setting, he is saying everyone should not speak in tongues. Only two or three. Which means everyone else should control themselves. And the other thing he is saying is, it should be one by one. Which means, they should control when they start and stop. I have seen people who talk in tongues in a very calm manner as well. How do you see this?

1 Corinthians 14:27-28 ESV
If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn, and let someone interpret. But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silent in church and speak to himself and to God.

When a person speaks or prays in tongues, the Spirit isn't commandeering his mind, but only our vocal cords. We still have the ability to stop and start, which is why Paul instructs us to be orderly. In private, we can choose to use our gift of another language whenever and for as long as we wish. There is great power in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back