Speaking In Tongues

Speaking In Tongues

As I was reading http://www.christianforumsite.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=3533 about what Godmademefunky was asking. I thought about something else in reference to speaking in tongues but did not want to 'derail' that post and add confusion to that post and therefore started this post.

When the actual tongue is spoken. It it really the tongues you hear 'southern' Pentecostals speak that sound phonetically like:

"rhonda-konda-shonda-honda-see-me-tie-my-bowtie-hyundai'

or is the tongue an real actual language/dialect of a known language spoken somewhere in the world today? For example. An american speaks normal english but when speaking in tongues while praying to God is actually speaking perfectly a dialect/language (let's say for example "Swahilli") specifically traced to a certain geographical part of the world that they have never taken lessons to fluently speak/ translate that language nor never visited that part of the world.
The real reason why I am asking is that when I re-read the Acts 2 story, the way verses 6-11 state, it makes me want to believe that the actual tongue of speaking in tongues is actually a known dialect/language spoken somewhere in the world today?

That would also raise up a question about the gift of interpreting tongues whether the gift is actually interpreting

rhonda-konda-shonda-honda-see-me-tie-my-bowtie-hyundai'

or interpreting a dialect/language (let's say for example "Swahilli") specifically traced to a certain geographical part of the world that they have never taken lessons to fluently speak/ translate that language nor never visited that part of the world.

---

I am really wondering now.....

Respectfully'

To those who read this. This is not an argument, but an observation.
I will not participate in open debate or argument on this subject

Violet,

There are several differances. Let me highlight some of them for you.
Act 2:3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

First, there was a physical manfestation at Pentecost (the cloven tongues like fire resting on them). This is never again mention as happening .

Second, (and i feel this is important) they spoke as the Holy Spirit enabled them to.
The individuals did not have control over the manifestation.

Three,(I believe this is important as well )As the diciples spoke, those listening heard in their own languages that which was not spoken in their languages. (plural) Two are mentioned(Cretes and Arabians). The manifestation was not in the speaking but in the hearing. There was no need for an interpriter for the Holy Spirit interprited.
Not from an unkown language or gibberish but from one recognized language to other recognized languages.

Act 2:11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

The tongues Paul refers;

First, It is displayed at the individuals descresion.

1Co 14:27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
1Co 14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

This "tongues" requires and interpreter and if none are present then they are told not to speak it. That means that the use of it is under the control of the individual ,not the Holy Spirit.
They are also told that there should be order and a pattern to be followed. Also indicating that not only should they control when and were it is used, but in what manner.

There are other differances. Careful study will show that most often the tongues today is neither of these but something of a combination of both with other aspects not mentioned in scripture.
In my opinion,
The "tongues" displayed today needs to be re-examined in light of the truth of Scripture. There are simply too many inconsistancies and too much distortion and potential for abuse to rely upon it as a valid expression of the manifestations of "Tongues" found in scripture.

Sincerely
His
Cliff

I am not ripping Pauls writings out of my bible- that amounts to 2/3's of the New Testament :)

Eph 6:18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

Theophilus, thank you.
Now.......

1Co 14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

Doesn't this mean one can speak in tongues, alone, praying to God?

I would like to suggest that this is one of those subjects that everyone can respectfully agree to disagree on- it is not a salvation issue- one day we will have all the answers and until then God will work it out that being said this is my last post on this thread- it would seem that any disscusion on this topic could lead to offending one or more of the brethren and that just isn't worth it to me-

Violet:
Your prayer language is between you and God- praying in a service in a prophetic manor is to be with an interpetor- If God gives one He will supply the other but only if both are willing-

Isa 28:11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.

Violet,

I'm with Boanerges on on this one.
What and how one prays to God is between them and God.

I have experienced what I've been told by some is prayer tongues. I personnaly don't make that distinction nor do I believe it warrents a designation or name. What it is is that I become so involved in prayer that the words I speak sound like gibberish to those who happen to hear them. I don't think anything of it and don't see any big deal in it. My rivate prayer (to me) is much more edifying when it is so intence that I don't think about the words I'm saying.
I'm a strong believer in praying in private and shun the common practice of praying with or before a group.

When I do pray in group I let the spirit move me and no one has ever had difficulty understanding what was said.

Let me say that I have by no means excluded the possibility of tongues. Or that it has purpose in the lives of individuals and or the church.
I am not saying to any one that they are faking it or that they are deceived.
And again I say as Boanerges and I have already said "tongues is not a salvational issue"

With that I will end my participation in this thread .

Should anyone wish to discuss this in private feel free to PM or email me.

Sincerely His
Cliff

I love your heart Theophilus- you are a good brother- Larry

A topic dear to my heart....

As I was reading http://www.christianforumsite.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=3533 about what Godmademefunky was asking. I thought about something else in reference to speaking in tongues but did not want to 'derail' that post and add confusion to that post and therefore started this post.

The real reason why I am asking is that when I re-read the Acts 2 story, the way verses 6-11 state, it makes me want to believe that the actual tongue of speaking in tongues is actually a known dialect/language spoken somewhere in the world today?

That would also raise up a question about the gift of interpreting tongues whether the gift is actually interpreting

rhonda-konda-shonda-honda-see-me-tie-my-bowtie-hyundai'

or interpreting a dialect/language (let's say for example "Swahilli") specifically traced to a certain geographical part of the world that they have never taken lessons to fluently speak/ translate that language nor never visited that part of the world.

---

I am really wondering now.....

How lovely to see someone asking almost the same questions as me...this is really a confirmation. Let me start of by saying...there are MANY false teachers out in this world today as the bible has already told us there would be..

2 Peter 2:1
But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

Also some "christians" who are not fully gounded is what they believe will give way and question this and that based on what we see other people doing or hear what some "preachers" are teaching nowadays.

1 Timothy 4:1
Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

Be not decieved with these 'christians" speaking there man made tongue...when you speak in tongues as the spirit gives you utterance it all has a meaning and you are saying something. Tongues are for two reasons..One is you(the holy Ghost in you) talking to God as the spirit is giving you utterance... the Second is speaking in tongues with a interpreture or God give you the interpritation of what you just said. I do believe God is still giving the gift of tongues.

but as usual the devil has taken it and made it is own... obviousy messing people up when they hear such babbling making speaking in tongues something dirty and unbiblical but those who truly are in touch with the lord are speaking in an unknown language, speaking the mysteries of God.

Stay grounded in the bible and pray and ask God to give you wisdom to tell the difference. Please just dont look to people for wisdom about God only God can give you that.

I also am guilty of not being grounded..but if we stay in the word and seek out God with our whole heart and soul he will hear us and will answer!

Be blessed!:israel:

speaking in tounges? this is the sign of Holy Spirit, when a person speaks in tounges thats the Holy Spirit speaking directly to God, noone can understand, cuz its all hidded words, The Holy Spirit tells our Havenly Father all, sorry my english is not so good

To fully understand tongues, one is going to have to read about 4 chapters in 1Corinthians. And they are 12 through 15. Speaking in unknown tongues is not impossible, but there are strict guidelines that must be followed. Probably the best example of that is 1Cor 14:18-19

18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:
19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

Paul admits to speaking in tongues here in verse 18. As a matter of fact he's saying that he speaks in tongues more than anybody around him. But he gives different advice when it comes to being in the Church.

Verse 2 of the same chapter proves that it is not a known language:

2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

This is controversial because so many people abuse the gift. To me speaking in tongues is more of a private thing than a public thing. But definitely, read those 4 chapters if you want to know more.

To fully understand tongues, one is going to have to read about 4 chapters in 1Corinthians. And they are 12 through 15. Speaking in unknown tongues is not impossible, but there are strict guidelines that must be followed. Probably the best example of that is 1Cor 14:18-19

18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:
19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

Paul admits to speaking in tongues here in verse 18. As a matter of fact he's saying that he speaks in tongues more than anybody around him. But he gives different advice when it comes to being in the Church.

Verse 2 of the same chapter proves that it is not a known language:

2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

This is controversial because so many people abuse the gift. To me speaking in tongues is more of a private thing than a public thing. But definitely, read those 4 chapters if you want to know more.

Hey Preacher,

I agree with many points that you used from the bible...after all the bible is right...but I think Tongues is more of a God thing because it comes from him... how can you control what God wants you to say and when he wants you to say it?? It is impossible..

Just my 2 cents!

Back