Sunday School: 2 questions

2 questions:

a) I recently asked to teach Sunday School in a nearby church. They are still considering my request, please pray that it will be accepted.

b) As always, ideas for Sunday School activities are more than welcome. Here's one that worked really well: coloring T-shirts with the image of a cross and the Latin phrase CHRISTUS VINCIT. So simple and so effective!

Thanks in advance!

As long as you have a clean record, i cannot see why you wouldnt be accepted. If the church doesnt accept you, they are crazy, i would let you teach church members kids in a heart beat. Praying for you. God bless.
I grew up in Sunday school, in two churches. Honestly i loved Sunday school as much as normal church. I got the get sweets when i remembered my verses that week. I did a lot of christian movie watching and colouring in. Sunday school, is awesome, i wish old time members could still go youth group. Sunday school and youth group, are only made for certain ages.

Hello Flavio;

A T-shirt that says, CHRISTUS VINCIT = Christ Conquers! or Christ Triumphs! Would this be for children starting 2nd grade enrolled in Sunday Catechism or older children's Sunday School for CCD Confraternity of Christian Doctrine?

In the church I serve the Children's Minister or Youth Group Pastor would ask me to review a T-shirt, curriculum, VBS, etc...for weekly or summer Children's Group, Youth Group as well as Sunday school. After discussing an idea with the Leader one point is the impact made with children or youth in the long run.

We'll join you in prayer should God lead the Priest and leadership to approve your teaching, as well as your ideas.

Please let us know what happens, Flavio.

God bless you and your family.

You don't say what age, and that is the first consideration. If they are old enough to read I suggest you ask them to tell you a story. If nobody has a story then you offer a printed story for them to read. I mean familiar fairy tales so they probably already know them. Using printed stories means the kids can repeat the presentation as they learn improvements.

Of course this means that you must know how to tell a story and how to teach it. The first thing to teach is how to project the voice. Not yelling, but speaking in a loud voice. Go to youtube and search "Jerry Clower" for examples. Jerry doesn't tell stories, he whoops stories.

General advice for dealing with kids.

Never give a kid a direct compliment. "That was a good story" is ok but "You are a good story teller" is not. A kid always knows that if he/she did something good, it was an accident. A direct compliment implies that they have to be that good all the time and they can't stand the stress of such an expectation.

Don't just "keep them busy". Review each presentation, identify areas that need improvement, and praise successes. Ask them to tell the same story again next week to demonstrate improvements.

Keep your programs simple, but not childish. Keep the program going so the kids have opportunities to grow. Remember that story telling improves adult earning power more than any other detail. That is according to "Dress For Success" by John Molloy.

Story telling is not acting. Acting is a separate program.

General advice for dealing with kids.

Never give a kid a direct compliment. "That was a good story" is ok but "You are a good story teller" is not. A kid always knows that if he/she did something good, it was an accident. A direct compliment implies that they have to be that good all the time and they can't stand the stress of such an expectation.

Don't just "keep them busy". Review each presentation, identify areas that need improvement, and praise successes. Ask them to tell the same story again next week to demonstrate improvements.

Keep your programs simple, but not childish. Keep the program going so the kids have opportunities to grow. Remember that story telling improves adult earning power more than any other detail. That is according to "Dress For Success" by John Molloy.

Story telling is not acting. Acting is a separate program.
Great point, Saul Mine!

Especially the part that I blue-lighted. I never heard it put that way before.

God bless you, Saul, and your family.

Back