Tattoo

My husband had to get some of his tattoos removed, and I'll tell you that the pain and time involved in getting them removed is much worse than ever having them on to begin with. :p Plus, now he has scars from it, and some of the ink still never came out. He went back several times, and each time it wasn't working, so they had to keep cranking up the intensity of the laser even higher and higher. Then the burn from the laser would leave huge fluid filled welts over the area, and then those would break and the wound would be open, then it would heal and scar.

Not to gross anyone out....but just something to think about prior to ever getting a tattoo. My husband and I are not against tattoo's, and he even wants another one. :p People just need to think about what they are getting and where they are getting them and if one day they might be required to have them removed such as for a job position or something.

Just know that since the tatoo issue is either hit or miss with christians, you'd sure hate to meet mr or mrs wonderful and find out that they have a personal thing against tatoos say, 6 months down the road. I personally hate tatoos unless they're smll and tasteful. Even then, I'll never get one. But if a girl has a big one on her lower back, or all over her shoulder/arms/neck/legs, it just grosses me out.

My church (Wildwind of Grand Blanc, Michigan) holds an annual tattoo event. We call it Tattoo U. This coming saturday, the 22nd, just so happens to be Tattoo U 3.
We contact a local tattoo shop and rent out the entire shop. Lots of memebers from the church show up and get tattoos, and we invite friends and we have pizza and pop and lots of other good food and we hang out at the tattoo shop.
We find that it's an awesome evangelizing tool, because it really catches the tattoo artists off guard to have a church come in with that type of event. We also make sure we feed the tattoo artists and involve them with our church family.
It's really awesome!
I have 4 tattoos by the way. My very first is a tattoo of Jesus on the Cross, with the verse John 3:16 beneath it. It covers the majority of my right upper arm and shoulder.
I have a tribal band around my left arm, a chinese symbol on my forearm and a black dragon on my calve.

The law against tattoos is found in the book of Leviticus along with many other ceremonial laws (such as not eating pork).
As we all know, Jesus has set us free from those things!

It's basically a matter of preference and pain tolerance.
Then again, you do want to consider the message that the tattoo will convey. Example: Don't have Nazi 666 with a bunch of swastikas tattooed on your forehead! (or anywhere else on you!)
:p

I get the art (Have 2 tattoos btw that are pretty big), but I find it funny when people have Kanji (Chinese symbols) and tribal tattoos, because I get this image of Chinese Native American Indians. That, and I've seen a LOT of prank kanji. Seriously, if you don't intimately KNOW the Kanji, DON'T DO IT!!! I have read some pretty silly things on people's backs and arms. You'd be surprised what a stray line or a slight slant can do to change the meaning.

As for tribals, I just see too many posers get those to take them seriously anymore.

But I guess I prolly shouldn't see it like that really. I mean, if you like it, then that's really all that matters.

You won't go to Hell for getting a tattoo... get one if you like. :p I think all of the verses in the bible that have to do with being against body art were aimed at specific people in a specific time era...

There are plenty of Christians today who have tattoos... theres nothing wrong with it unless you use it to glorify ungodly things. O_o

Get one if it makes you happy.

i got a tattoo on my 18th birthday. it was before i was a christian but my tattoo has meaning. its a memorial tattoo with their initial and angel wings ... i loved it when i got it but i got it on my hip right where the rise of my pants wold be and 6 months later i got pregnant so now it is well.. not so beautiful.. now that i am a christian i want a new tattoo i want doves with scripture.. i want mine on my left inside wrist to cover up scars that i have. not out of shame but because where once attention was drawn because of self destruction people will see and ask questions possibly so that i can witness and possibly share my story in hopes that they want and hunger for the same jesus that i know :).

I am no fan of needles.
This^^^^^!

Leaving personal feelings aside, I think it is worth asking, will this make me a more effective Christian? The decision to get a tattoo or not does go beyond personal considerations. How will people react to your tattoo? On balance, is it more likely to cause negative reactions or positive? how will it affect your interaction with the "weaker brethren?" The more visible the tattoo is, the more important it is to consider these and similar issues.
No offense or rebuke intended for anyone, but I think that a Christian, whether on this issue or any other not specifically addressed in scripture, has to consider more than whether or not his or her personal choice makes him or her happy. All things are lawful, not all things are profitable.

None of this is to say whether or not you should get a tattoo. Just throw these considerations into the equation, that's all.

From my experience, it has opened up a lot of lines of communication with people, and made me more accessible to some. Of course, it has also closed some lines, but there are millions of others that can reach those people (and the people offended by tattoos are prolly not going to like my piercings, clothes, and hair anyway...and are mostly already super-conservative "Christians"). That's not saying it's for everyone, just that I'm comfortable in my own skin.

:)What does everyone think about make-up tatooing... I used to have very dark and thick eyebrows ...

Now the brows are very thin, and the few hairs I have are thin and or gray, If I don't apply makeup it looks like I have no brows...:(

Has anyone had their lips, and eyeliner done?

I know a lot of legit artists won't do it because there is a high degree of danger, but I don't know what that danger is or anything. Just that only very experienced (or very ignorant) artists will even try.

Well, I certainly would never be interested in a man who had another woman's name in his flesh!

Beloved, I have very thin blond eyebrows. Yes, there are cosmetic surgeons that can color the lips, or do the permanent eyeliner, but brows would look very fake, I think~
Just use a soft brown make up pencil and then blend with a small brush for a more natural look.
I just leave mine be~

LEVITICUS 19:19-28

19 " 'Keep my decrees.
" 'Do not mate different kinds of animals.
" 'Do not plant your field with two kinds of seed.
" 'Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material.
20 " 'If a man sleeps with a woman who is a slave girl promised to another man but who has not been ransomed or given her freedom, there must be due punishment. Yet they are not to be put to death, because she had not been freed. 21 The man, however, must bring a ram to the entrance to the Tent of Meeting for a guilt offering to the LORD . 22 With the ram of the guilt offering the priest is to make atonement for him before the LORD for the sin he has committed, and his sin will be forgiven.
23 " 'When you enter the land and plant any kind of fruit tree, regard its fruit as forbidden. For three years you are to consider it forbidden; it must not be eaten. 24 In the fourth year all its fruit will be holy, an offering of praise to the LORD . 25 But in the fifth year you may eat its fruit. In this way your harvest will be increased. I am the LORD your God.
26 " 'Do not eat any meat with the blood still in it.
" 'Do not practice divination or sorcery.
27 " 'Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard.
28 " 'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD .

1> Don't allow different kinds of animals to breed. - There goes many, many hybrid animals
2> Don't plant two kinds of seed in your fields. - There goes your garden in the back yard
3> Don't wear clothes made with two types of materials. - There goes most of the suits people wear to church every Sunday
4> Sleeping with Slaves is a grey area, unless they aren't engaged, then it's ok - Yeah...nuff said there....
5> You must sacrifice a ram every year to atone for your sins - Guess we get to ignore that one since Christ took care of that
6> If you plant a fruit tree, wait three years, offer the fourth year to God, and then you can eat it. - That garden in your backyard is starting to look very pointless
7> Do not eat meat with blood still in it - No Raw steaks for you, ok, so maybe that isn't a big loss
8> No divination or sorcery - That's an easy one
9> Do not cut your hair at the sides or trim your beard - Don't like a beard? Tough. And what about it being a SHAME to have long hair?
10> Don't cut yourself of put tattoos on for the dead - Maybe I'm reading it different, but that's how I read that...

I'm not trying to debate here, I'm just saying, a LOT of bandwidth has been wasted on ONE SINGLE VERSE. If you look at the context of that verse, how many others do we break daily? Simply put, do these rules apply to us? I think from the context, it becomes obvious that these commands were written to specific people at a specific time. Yet, so many just LOVE picking a single verse and using that to defend an idea that they just don't like.

This is a glaring example of why I really hate "Bible Verse" debates. We will pick the parts we like that support our arguments, and those that have lesser understanding are left holding the bag and confused. This isn't to say that tattoos are right or wrong (IMO it's about your personal convictions), this is simply to say, that quoting verses out of context to make a point is counterproductive.

Well, I certainly would never be interested in a man who had another woman's name in his flesh!

>.< Even hard core tattoo lovers will tell you that unless it's your own name or your kids, it's a BAD BAD idea, and even then, not a particularly good idea.

LEVITICUS 19:19-28

19 " 'Keep my decrees.
" 'Do not mate different kinds of animals.
" 'Do not plant your field with two kinds of seed.
" 'Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material.
20 " 'If a man sleeps with a woman who is a slave girl promised to another man but who has not been ransomed or given her freedom, there must be due punishment. Yet they are not to be put to death, because she had not been freed. 21 The man, however, must bring a ram to the entrance to the Tent of Meeting for a guilt offering to the LORD . 22 With the ram of the guilt offering the priest is to make atonement for him before the LORD for the sin he has committed, and his sin will be forgiven.
23 " 'When you enter the land and plant any kind of fruit tree, regard its fruit as forbidden. For three years you are to consider it forbidden; it must not be eaten. 24 In the fourth year all its fruit will be holy, an offering of praise to the LORD . 25 But in the fifth year you may eat its fruit. In this way your harvest will be increased. I am the LORD your God.
26 " 'Do not eat any meat with the blood still in it.
" 'Do not practice divination or sorcery.
27 " 'Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard.
28 " 'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD .

1> Don't allow different kinds of animals to breed. - There goes many, many hybrid animals
2> Don't plant two kinds of seed in your fields. - There goes your garden in the back yard
3> Don't wear clothes made with two types of materials. - There goes most of the suits people wear to church every Sunday
4> Sleeping with Slaves is a grey area, unless they aren't engaged, then it's ok - Yeah...nuff said there....
5> You must sacrifice a ram every year to atone for your sins - Guess we get to ignore that one since Christ took care of that
6> If you plant a fruit tree, wait three years, offer the fourth year to God, and then you can eat it. - That garden in your backyard is starting to look very pointless
7> Do not eat meat with blood still in it - No Raw steaks for you, ok, so maybe that isn't a big loss
8> No divination or sorcery - That's an easy one
9> Do not cut your hair at the sides or trim your beard - Don't like a beard? Tough. And what about it being a SHAME to have long hair?
10> Don't cut yourself of put tattoos on for the dead - Maybe I'm reading it different, but that's how I read that...

I'm not trying to debate here, I'm just saying, a LOT of bandwidth has been wasted on ONE SINGLE VERSE. If you look at the context of that verse, how many others do we break daily? Simply put, do these rules apply to us? I think from the context, it becomes obvious that these commands were written to specific people at a specific time. Yet, so many just LOVE picking a single verse and using that to defend an idea that they just don't like.

This is a glaring example of why I really hate "Bible Verse" debates. We will pick the parts we like that support our arguments, and those that have lesser understanding are left holding the bag and confused. This isn't to say that tattoos are right or wrong (IMO it's about your personal convictions), this is simply to say, that quoting verses out of context to make a point is counterproductive.

I think you have made a very good point, Ban~

>.< That does sound very argumentative doesn't it? That's now what I meant it to sound like at all.

>.< That does sound very argumentative doesn't it? That's now what I meant it to sound like at all.

How does it seem argumentive?
I agree that we can't always take one scripture to prove a point~
Some laws were for certain people, tribes, and during certain time periods~

Guess I'm concerned that I'm technically doing what annoys me so much...posting tons of scripture to make an debate.

Back