Tattoos that point to God?

i got one ....

i have it before i got closer to God

and its actually a dragon....yikes lol

It's what we do after we are saved that really counts. Would you have got that done now that you are a Christian?

The reason I am asking is that the author of this thread needs to hear what a Christian would do who is experienced in Tats.

God bless

Sometimes we do things just because we get the urge or we think it is cool and afterwards once the fanfare is gone we wonder why we did those things in the first place.

This is where christian maturity comes in. Once we start placing all things in front of God and asking His will in our lives (Jesus did this all the time), then we start maturing as Christians. Our desire should always be to please God - end of story. We should not do things and then try and justify our actions with the approval of others. If Jesus sought the approval of His disciples, He would probably have never gone to the cross.

How will a tatoo honor God? How will getting a tatoo bear witness to the gospel of Christ? How is getting a tatoo serving the will of our Father in Heaven?

No before someone suggests tatooing Jesus name or John 3:16 across your arm or chest, I would like to bring to mind the verse that says we are to conduct ourselves so that our actions and words are above reproach, so that no one may be given cause to accuse us.

God's enemies are forever looking for any excuse to bring accusations upon God's faithful. We are charged with being embassadors of Christ.

Considering the discussion here, where no one is condemning another, but only trying to help the OP discern the right course of action, I think we see how this action opens doors for those who would try to accuse.

We are also told that "By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."
Even some atheists where crosses because they like the design.

Just some things to think about......

I got a tattoo when I was 19. It was so cool back then, and I went with a group of girls to do this. Now I'm 44. The tattoo is dated. It WAS cute. It WAS cool. People DO judge and I have to hide it in professional situations because that is the policy of a lot of workplaces. That's the world talking. It's a piece of my youth that I have to remember. Forever. My father was not pleased but he respected my adult decision, after he said something about it EVERY time he saw it. Gotta love dads.
Here's my personal opinion 20 something years later....I don't think in my heart that God cares whether you do or don't get a tattoo. From reading the scriptures presented what I can glean is that if you're going to get a tattoo, make it something pleasing to God and that doesn't mark you up for life to say something against God or people. That would not be loving, and God wants us to do thing to and for eachother that are loving--even how we present ourselves to others, trendy or not, young or not, conservative or not, should be considerate to others in the idea that it would be pleasing to God to do so.
Everything in this day and age points to tattoos as a great form of personal expression, so if you want a tattoo, I hope you will get it with the right attitude in your heart, and in a place that won't grow/stretch/sag (no explanation necessary-Love how God made our bodies).... God bless you :)

Do you mind me asking what your tattoo is? I'm planning to get a tattoo when I'm 18, hopefully a Bible verse on my forearm, from my elbow to my wrist. Do you think that's okay? :) God bless.

Garin ...... I think the idea is "Let others see Jesus in you," that is, occupied by the Holy Spirit. You can put scripture on a T-Shirt. Forget on your body. You get one, you'll want another, then another. You won't be honoring God with that.

The Old Testament law commanded the Israelites, “Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD” (Leviticus 19:28). So, even though believers today are not under the Old Testament law (Romans 10:4; Galatians 3:23-25; Ephesians 2:15), the fact that there was a command against tattoos should raise some questions. The New Testament does not say anything about whether or not a believer should get a tattoo.

In relation to tattoos and body piercings, a good test is to determine whether we can honestly, in good conscience, ask God to bless and use that particular activity for His own good purposes. “So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31). The New Testament does not command against tattoos or body piercings, but it also does not give us any reason to believe God would have us get tattoos or body piercings.

An important scriptural principle on issues the Bible does not specifically address is if there is room for doubt whether it pleases God, then it is best not to engage in that activity. Romans 14:23 reminds us that anything that does not come from faith is sin. We need to remember that our bodies, as well as our souls, have been redeemed and belong to God. Although 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 does not directly apply to tattoos or body piercings, it does give us a principle: “Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.” This great truth should have a real bearing on what we do and where we go with our bodies. If our bodies belong to God, we should make sure we have His clear “permission” before we “mark them up” with tattoos or body piercings.

But do the same principles apply to tattoos that are of a Christian nature, such as a cross, a Christian slogan, or even a Bible verse? Some Christians have found that having tattoos gives them more credibility, and thereby more possibilities of evangelism, with some groups of people. So what about Christian tattoos?

Obviously, a tattoo of a cross is “better” than a tattoo of a flaming skull, naked woman, or demon. Having a tattoo saying “Jesus saves” could indeed be a conversation starter with some people who would never approach a preacher wearing a suit and tie. Some refer to Revelation 19:16 as an example of Jesus possibly having a tattoo on His thigh, “King of kings and Lord of lords.” The question is not necessarily “is getting a tattoo a sin?” The question is more “is getting a tattoo a good and necessary thing to do?” First Corinthians 10:23 declares, “Everything is permissible – but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible – but not everything is constructive.” Christian tattoos may be “permissible,” but are they beneficial and constructive?

In 1 Corinthians 9:22-23, Paul exclaims, “I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel.” Becoming all things to save some is perhaps the only good possible reason for getting a Christian tattoo. If having a tattoo genuinely opens doors for evangelism that would otherwise be closed, getting Christian tattoos would likely “qualify” under Paul’s “becoming all things” qualification. At the same time, it is frankly difficult to envision a scenario in which having a tattoo would enable a greater possibility of evangelism. If a person will not listen to you due to a lack of a tattoo, it is highly unlikely that such a person would genuinely listen due to the presence of a tattoo.

With that said, the biblically based conclusion would seem to be that Christian tattoos are permissible, but it is highly questionable whether they can be considered beneficial and constructive. A Christian considering getting a tattoo should pray for wisdom (James 1:5) and ask the Lord to provide pure motives and discernment.

Do you mind me asking what your tattoo is? I'm planning to get a tattoo when I'm 18, hopefully a Bible verse on my forearm, from my elbow to my wrist. Do you think that's okay? :) God bless.
i'd like a dove maybe because of the holy spirit u should search christian tattoos and theire is biblcal support and a bunch of pic if some u should look into dude

I guess it's up to you if you want a tattoo or not, the best way to worship God is to pray, believe and not lose faith in Him. He always watch over us and keep us away from harm, and I believe that trusting and believing in Him is the best way of thanking him for every gift that He is giving us.

I know this thread is a few months old, but I thought I'd have my say.
I'm sort of in the same boat: I'm considering getting a tattoo (and not necessarily an explicitally Christian one), but I'm still not sure how to interpret Leviticus 19:28. I don't like saying passages only applied to certain people at a certain a time without any evidence to back it up. The notes in my Bible say that cutting and tattooing were done by the 'heathen', and God comanded the Israelites not to so that they would be set apart. So this could mean that it's alright in our society to get tattoos, or it could mean that we should still mark ourselves out by not getting tattoos.

Like Briley, my parents don't like tattoos. I am 20, and currently living and studying away from home, and still every time I see my parents they inspect my ears to check I don't have any more piercings. So, while I could argue that I am an adult, and I can live my own way, not their way, I know it would upset them if I were to get a tattoo.

So my advice, which plenty of other people have already said, is to pray about it, and really make sure you want it. Don't get it done until you're 100% satisfied that it's acceptable to God. And also, be certain that you're happy with the design and the location. One of my friends had a tattoo done in the Summer, but he'd had a picture of it on his wall for over a year, so he knew that it was definitely what he wanted. I think that's a really good idea, so you don't get stuck with something you'll regret.

If one believes that Leviticus 19:28 is relevant, then one must necessarily recognize the same level of relevance to Leviticus 19:19 and 19:27 (and others) as they are in the exact same context, in the exact same passage. Yet, I find far too often that when Christians point out this particular verse, they have no problem ignoring the balance of the chapter. I respect those that do regard these commands, but I don't like it when people pick and choose which they will force on others, while they ignore the balance. That is the definition of hypocrisy. People will throw Lev. 19:28 out at the top of their lungs and condemn tats, but I've seen very few Christians who would have the same passion for planting my garden with two types of seeds, eating oranges from my tree after only 2 years, wearing blended fabrics, eating rare/medium rare steaks, eating ham and cheese sandwiches, getting paid weekly instead of daily, breeding mules, trimming my sideburns, or my inability and unwillingness to buy a few slaves so that I can get them pregnant before they get engaged.

I think there are plenty of good arguments against the practice of tattoos, and many good ones that permit it, yet no really good arguments for why we SHOULD do it. As such, I stand by my conviction that whether or not it is sinful, it should not be encouraged as it is not profitable.

excuse me but we seem to have scripture for no tattoo,s but uncertainty on flesh or spirit to lots of scripture.
all i have is soup,i wait for meat.
the bible is a quango used by others to shift views at will.
i won,t get into the nitty gritty of it.

Oh my, this whole thread has failed to mention the painfully obvious...YOUR BODY as a Christian is NOW the TEMPLE of GOD ALMIGHTY.

and you want to scribble on it? :rolleyes:

Oh my, this whole thread has failed to mention the painfully obvious...YOUR BODY as a Christian is NOW the TEMPLE of GOD ALMIGHTY.

and you want to scribble on it? :rolleyes:

It's a decent analogy, but also taken a bit out of context I think. The verse that you are referring to isn't talking about tattoos, and cannot be implied IMO that it is. Even so, the tattoos that I have would not qualify as "scribbles" or "graffiti". It is art. If you were going to make an analogy, they would be murals or ornamentations. As an artist, they were meaningful to me.

That being said, I wouldn't do it again. I was in a really bad place when I got my tattoos. They remind me of that place, but more than that, they remind me of how I'm not in that place anymore and what God has delivered me from. I understand that for you it is just "scribbling", but I simply want you to understand that when Christians say things like that, it doesn't come across to most people the way it does to the pious. For me, it was never a "scribble". They are important reminders to me, even now.

I'm not offended, but one of the reasons it took me so long to get my life back together and give it back to God, was because every time I went looking for answers and found a new church, they were so caught up by the way I looked, that they couldn't see past that. To them, I wasn't a sinner because I was a suicidal alcoholic who fought with God, I was a sinner because I had long hair, piercings, and tattoos. When people say things like this, it only reminds me of why I hated the church, and why I saw all Christians as self-righteous hypocrites (not that I see you that way). I simply want you to understand how statements like that are received.

I'm not offended, but one of the reasons it took me so long to get my life back together and give it back to God, was because every time I went looking for answers and found a new church, they were so caught up by the way I looked, that they couldn't see past that. To them, I wasn't a sinner because I was a suicidal alcoholic who fought with God, I was a sinner because I had long hair, piercings, and tattoos. When people say things like this, it only reminds me of why I hated the church, and why I saw all Christians as self-righteous hypocrites (not that I see you that way). I simply want you to understand how statements like that are received.

:) My best friend at church had long hair, tattoos and piercings.

Lev 19:28

Jews were commanded NOT to get tattoos. The Jews received many commands that were merely for their health and protection. Like for example not eating pork, because there was not proper control over what pigs ate. I have heard many say that this is the case with tattoos, that it was high risk back in the day, but that is not my interpretation. God wanted the Jews to avoid tattoos. This pleased Him.

Just as men must dress like men (no long hair, skirt, no earrings), likewise Christians must dress modestly and Godly, NOT defiling their body.

I don’t judge any unsaved person for having tattoos. But I will not give my approval to any Christian wanting tattoos. It is NOT going to affect ones salvation, but its like me permitting my little boy to get earrings because everyone around him is doing it. NOT happening!

Those who don't understand tattoos won't see the beauty in them. There are Christians with tattoos who have got them while being a christian, such as myself. I just didn't get one that I thought was going to dishonor God (I have a dove with my son's name in it). I've loved tattoos for a long time. I love art and the representation it can have. Those who aren't into the arts won't understand how an artistic mind works. We're a different group of people all together. I see it more as a decoration like how you would decorate your home. Yes your body is a temple so take care of it! In moderation things like tattoos don't have to be unhealthy. ( I recommend black & grey because colour is worse for you). Do your research & go with your gut. That's my perception on all this.
P.S. Also as a woman, I don't believe that wearing pants is wrong so why can't a guy wear a skrit or earings if he wanted to? I smell a double standard in the air. ;) I do agree tho not to allow your son to get his ears pierced just because everyone else is doing it. That's not a good enough reason. He should strive to swim against the tide. That's what my Dad always told me & for the most part I listened.

When I entered the military at 17 I got most of my tats! At 22, still in the service, I had the last one put on. When I converted and was saved at 45 I had under pants tattooed on Betty Boop because her behind showed and as a Christian I have regretted every mark on my body. The most common train of justification I´ve found is, ¨It´s a Tat, it´s not a mark or a cutting!¨ Both the A and the B portions of that rationalization are incorrect! A tat is a composition of marks made but rapid and repeated piercings. In my most honest opinion there is no justification for any tat, no matter the thought, design or thought.

Now, when a young male or female Christian does make the error of having the restricted, by God, applied to their bodies, it is my duty to come along side or to have another do so and begin to help the person see the ¨sin¨ involved and to help them repent of the matter.

The long and the short of the matter is, ¨Will you obey God?¨ The, erroneous, justification reply is, ¨The New Testament superseded the Old!¨ The correct line of reckoning is to begin at John 1:1-3. It is here that we see that Jesus, not was but, is the God of the Old and the New Testaments! Now, remembering the cuts and marks passage, skip to Mal. 3:6a and we see that God never changes!

And you´re thinking that can´t be! But what is missed 99.9% of the time is the truth. So we need to look at the four Gospels to find out what Bible did Jesus, Peter, Matthew, Mark, Luke, Paul and all the others teach from? The answer, of course, is the Jewish Bible, also known as the Old Testament in the Christian Bible. So it is that the Bible is the first 39 books of the Christian Bible and the, much, renowned New Testament is the best Life Application Commentary ever written for the Bible.

That leaves the status of any Tat as sin against God, so, do you obey God?

How much does it cost to get a tattoo? What about sending that money to an orphanage in Africa, where it can be used to help orphans and widows, or pay hospital bills for patients who have been held prisoner (to the hospitals) for lack of fees for years? What would Jesus do?

Old Testament commands with regard to tattoos are not binding for Christians, although they are worth considering. But more so than just being legalistic, it's important to consider the reasons (or the spirit) behind the 'rule'. Generally speaking, the reason is more important than the rule itself.

I think the stumbling block argument is potentially a good argument against tattoos, at least to a certain extent. It is true that one could play devil's advocate, and argue that people can stumble over practically anything, and so why even try to please other people. And yet again, the admonition to avoid things which cause our brother to send is found a few places in scripture; so rather than throw the baby out with the bathwater, maybe we should be making more of an effort to discern when such an admonition is applicable, and when it's not. (I can't say that I'm fully sure myself when it comes to the issue of tattoos; individuals may need to rely on some of the different ways to know God's will for them specifically if its not clear from the Scriptures alone.)

Back