Texas Megachurch to Give Out Cars, TVs at Easter Services

Maybe the better and more Biblical solution to reaching the lost would be for the members of the Church to go out into all the world and preach the Gospel to the lost. Those who are drawn in by the prospect of material gain may not be of a frame of mind to heed the presentation of the Gospel message. If one soul is saved, perhaps it is worth it, but wouldn't going out into the community and reaching the lost where they are be a far more cost effective means? If only we could have God's omniscience for a moment and compare the number of souls saved by each of the two approaches and see which one truly brings more souls into the Kingdom of God. To me, all the hoopla and prospect of gaining a prize serve to distract people's attention from the message, rather than drawing them to it. Seems like a gimmick, to me.

"They're coming for the loot and they're going to leave with Jesus"

I believe if the only reason they come is for the "loot" there is a slim chance they will leave with Jesus.

I also wonder how many "Christians" from other Churches are going to abandon their Church to come to this one on Easter.
I don't think that would please God either.
I can not think of one Scripture that would support this event.

I don't think turning a church into a literal Wal-Mart shopping spree is going to help save anyone or bring any new converts into the church, save for the next freebies to come. When I go to church, I want to be in an environment surrounded by God not by things of the world. That is what we should leave behind, all those worries and cares of the world. The church should be a place of the Lord not the place of receipts and 'Oh, honey, look what I got today!'.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think they’ve got this verse backwards?

Mat 6:19 Do not lay up treasures on earth for yourselves, where moth and rust corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal.

Back