Archive THE BIBLE - Verse by Verse (1 Kings Chapter 1 to 22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 Kings 12:14 (NLT)
and followed the counsel of his younger advisers. He told the people, "My father laid heavy burdens on you, but I'm going to make them even heavier. My father beat you with whips but I will beat you with scorpions!"

1 Kings 12:15 (NLT)
So the king paid no attention to the people. This turn of events was the will of the LORD for it fulfilled the message of the LORD to Jeroboam son of Nebat through the prophet Ahjah from Shiloh

1Kings 12:16 (NLT)
When all Israel realized that the king had refused to listen to them, they responded,
"Down with the Dynasty of David!
We have no interest in the son of Jesse.
Back to your own homes Israel!
Look out for your own house, O David!"
So the people of Israel returned home.

1 Kings 12:18 (NLT)
King Rehoboam sent Adoniram, who was in charge of forced labor, to restore order, but the people of Israel stoned him to death. When this news reached King Rehoboarm, he quickly jumped into his chariot and fled to Jerusalem.

1 Kings 12:20 (NLT)
When the people of Israel learned of Jeroboam's return from Egypt, they called an assembly and made him king over all Israel. So only the tribe of Judah remained loyal to the family of David.

1 Kings 12:21 (NLT)
When Rehoboam arrived at Jerusalem, he mobilized the men of Judah and the tribe of Benjamin - 180,000 select troops - to fight against the men of Israel and to restore the Kingdom to himself.

1 Kings 12:23 (NLT)
"Say to Rehoboam son of Solomon, king of Judah, and all the people of Judah and Benjamin, and to the rest of the people,

1 Kings 12:24 (NLT)
This is what the LORD says: 'Do not fight against your relatives, the Israelites

Go back home for what has happened is my doing.'" So they obeyed the message of the LORD and went home, as the LORD had commanded.

1 Kings 12:25 (NLT)
Jeroboam then built up the city of Shechem in the hill country of Ephraim and it became his capital. Later he wen't and built up the town of Pennel.

1 Kings 12:27 (NLT)
When these people go to Jerusalem to offer sacrifices at the Temple of the LORD, they will again give their allegiance to King Rehoboam of Judah. They will kill me and make him their king instead."

1 Kings 12:28 (NLT)
So on the advice of his counselors, the King made two gold calves. He said toothpeople, "it is too much trouble for you to worship in Jerusalem. Look, Israel, these are the gods who brought you out of Egypt.

1 Kings 12:30 (NLT)
But this became a great sin, because the people worshipped the idols, travelling as far north as Dan to worship the one there.

1 Kings 12:31 (NLT)
Jeroboam also erected buildings at the pagan shrines and ordained priests from the common people - those who were not from the priestly tribe of Levi.

1 Kings 12:32 (NLT)
And Jeroboan instituted a religious festival in Bethel, held on the fifteenth day of the eighth month, in imitation of the annual Festival of Shelters in Judah. There at Bergel he himself offered sacrifices to the calves he had made, and he appointed priests for the pagan shines he had made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back