The Gospel

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Peter's ministry to the Circumcision ended in his imprisonment (Acts 12),

Hi Chris,

Can you tell me why you say that Peter's ministry to the circumcision ended in Acts 12?
The Holy Spirit got Peter out of prison and in further chapters he is still ministering to his countrymen and the gentiles. In fact if you go by chapters as your point of reference, Peter was ministering to gentiles prior to acts 12.

Thanks for clarifying,
Blessings

Here is another 3 verses that refer to the gospel of Luke 4:18-19......

You know the contents of the message which He sent to Israel, announcing the good news (Gospel) of peace by Jesus Christ, Who is Lord of all– The [same] message which was proclaimed throughout all Judea, starting from Galilee after the baptism preached by John– How God anointed and consecrated Jesus of Nazareth with the [Holy] Spirit and with strength and ability and power; how He went about doing good and, in particular, curing all who were harassed and oppressed by [the power of] the devil, for God was with Him.
Acts 10:36‭-‬38 AMPC
http://bible.com/8/act.10.36-38.AMPC

Blessings

Hi Chris,

Can you tell me why you say that Peter's ministry to the circumcision ended in Acts 12?
The Holy Spirit got Peter out of prison and in further chapters he is still ministering to his countrymen and the gentiles. In fact if you go by chapters as your point of reference, Peter was ministering to gentiles prior to acts 12.

Hello Cturtle,

Thank you for your question.

As far as the record in Acts is concerned, Peters ministry to the circumcision ended in his imprisonment (Acts 12), and the record following is taken up very much with Paul's ministry. The only other mention of Peter in the book of Acts is in chapter 15.4-12, when he is seen to be a 'pillar' of the church at Jerusalem. Then his first epistle shows him to be in Babylon at the time of writing - among his dispersed brethren. (1 Peter 5:13).

* Peter's ministry was to the circumcision specifically, as can be seen in (Gal 2:7,8):-

'But contrariwise,
when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me,
as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;
(For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision,

the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles'

* Their were gentiles believers among the Jews under his ministry, yes: for gentiles had been grafted into the Olive Tree of Israel, in order to make Israel jealous; but it was not until Acts 28 that salvation was finally sent to the Gentiles independent of Israel; and that was covered by the further ministry of Paul, following the revelation from God to him concerning this new administration, of which he was made Steward. (See Ephesians)

Here is another 3 verses that refer to the gospel of Luke 4:18-19......
You know the contents of the message which He sent to Israel, announcing the good news (Gospel) of peace by Jesus Christ, Who is Lord of all – The [same] message which was proclaimed throughout all Judea, starting from Galilee after the baptism preached by John– How God anointed and consecrated Jesus of Nazareth with the [Holy] Spirit and with strength and ability and power; how He went about doing good and, in particular, curing all who were harassed and oppressed by [the power of] the devil, for God was with Him.
Acts 10:36‭-‬38 AMPC

You have quoted two passages of Scripture (Luke 4:18,19 and Acts 10:36-38):-

'The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
because He hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor;
He hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted,
to preach deliverance to the captives,
and recovering of sight to the blind,
to set at liberty them that are bruised,

To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.'
(Luke 4:18.19)

'Then Peter opened his mouth, and said,
"Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
But in every nation he that feareth Him,
and worketh righteousness, is accepted with Him.
The word which God sent unto the children of Israel,
preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (He is Lord of all)
That word, I say, ye know,
which was published throughout all Judaea,
and began from Galilee, after the baptism which John preached;
How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power:
who went about doing good,
and healing all that were oppressed of the devil;
for God was with Him.
And we are witnesses of all things which He did
both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem;
whom they slew and hanged on a tree:
Him God raised up the third day, and shewed Him openly;
Not to all the people,
but unto witnesses chosen before of God,
even to us, who did eat and drink with Him after He rose from the dead.
And he commanded us to preach unto the people,
and to testify that it is He which was ordained of God
to be the Judge of quick and dead.
To him give all the prophets witness,
that through His Name
whosoever believeth in Him shall receive remission of sins.'

(Acts 10:34-43)

Praise God!

I could not understand at first why you had brought these passages to my notice, CT, but I believe I do understand now. Is it because of the opening verses of the passage in Acts 10 (highlighted), regarding God being no respecter of persons? Also to the description given of the ministry of Peter and of the rest of the Twelve. How wonderfully clear this is in Acts 10 isn't it?

Please confirm this for me, so that I can be sure we are not talking at cross purposes.

Thank you so much for these wonderful passages of Scripture, it was a joy to read them again.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

:)

Last edited:
I could not understand at first why you had brought these passages to my notice, CT, but I believe I do understand now. Is it because of the opening verses of the passage in Acts 10 (highlighted), regarding God being no respecter of persons?

Hi Chris,

I apologize for not being more clear. I did highlight the parts that were similar To Luke 4, and was my reason for posting these. Comparing Luke 4 with the verse highlighted in purple was my intent.

but it was not until Acts 28 that salvation was finally sent to the Gentiles independent of Israel;

I think I need you to further explain what you mean here. Because in my Bible, Paul was commissioned to his ministry when the Lord approached him on the road to Damascus. And then it was further explained through Ananias and shortly after.

As far as Peter is concerned....one cannot say that because we don't read anything further about his ministering to anyone in the Book of Acts, that he didn't do anything until he wrote first and second Peter 30- 35 years later after Luke wrote Acts. For acts was written over a period of 30 years. And If the Bible contained everything that each of the people commissioned by our Lord did, it would overfill a whole huge library, like what was said about Jesus in John 21:25.

Blessings to you!

Hi Chris,

I apologize for not being more clear. I did highlight the parts that were similar To Luke 4, and was my reason for posting these. Comparing Luke 4 with the verse highlighted in purple was my intent.

I think I need you to further explain what you mean here. Because in my Bible, Paul was commissioned to his ministry when the Lord approached him on the road to Damascus. And then it was further explained through Ananias and shortly after.

As far as Peter is concerned....one cannot say that because we don't read anything further about his ministering to anyone in the Book of Acts, that he didn't do anything until he wrote first and second Peter 30- 35 years later after Luke wrote Acts. For acts was written over a period of 30 years. And If the Bible contained everything that each of the people commissioned by our Lord did, it would overfill a whole huge library, like what was said about Jesus in John 21:25.

Blessings to you!

Hello Cturtle,

There is only one Word of God, and we share the same record of events. There was much more that could have been told, but God has recorded what was necessary for His purpose. In this case Peter's activities were not recorded beyond Acts 15, for God required us to know of Paul's commission on the road to Damascus, His early ministry, and that stewardship which followed the revelation of the mystery, made known to Him while in bonds.

That is all recorded and verifiable, and should require no defence.

Thank you CT.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

We must always Remember Acts was written by Dr. Luke and was written as a documentary.
He tells us this when he writes that he went around talking and questing folks.

We should not get hung up on this happened in this chapter which came before that chapter which was after the other chapter.

What we need is to grasp what the Father is placing before us in order to grow in Christ and become the Children of God we are created to be and get His plan for our lives done.

Debating dates and events will do absolutely nothing for us, but drawing closer to the Father by Doing What is written will bring us to a place where He can move in and through us.

Blessings to All
FCJ

We must always Remember Acts was written by Dr. Luke and was written as a documentary.

We should not get hung up on this happened in this chapter which came before that chapter which was after the other chapter.

What we need is to grasp what the Father is placing before us in order to grow in Christ and become the Children of God we are created to be and get His plan for our lives done.

Debating dates and events will do absolutely nothing for us, but drawing closer to the Father by Doing What is written will bring us to a place where He can move in and through us.

Blessings to All
FCJ
Hello Fish Catcher Jim,

I believe that the record of the book of Acts was written by God's inspiration, and is therefore an accurate account of the events that took place. Luke was present during much of the ministry of Paul as his companion, also, so who better to record the events that took place at that time, and be trusted to do it accurately.

Cturtle and I are not in dispute about either times or events, we are merely discussing, which is what a forum is for.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Hello Cturtle,

There is only one Word of God, and we share the same record of events. There was much more that could have been told, but God has recorded what was necessary for His purpose. In this case Peter's activities were not recorded beyond Acts 15, for God required us to know of Paul's commission on the road to Damascus, His early ministry, and that stewardship which followed the revelation of the mystery, made known to Him while in bonds.

That is all recorded and verifiable, and should require no defence.

Thank you CT.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Thank you so much for clearing things up. I didn't think that you would be saying something other than what was in the Word, but sometimes it's good to get clarification rather than assume that someone is in error.

God bless you mightily Chris With much wisdom And revelation Knowledge in all your studies :)

I believe that the record of the book of Acts was written by God's inspiration, and is therefore an accurate account of the events that took place. Luke was present during much of the ministry of Paul as his companion, also, so who better to record the events that took place at that time, and be trusted to do it accurately.

Good point
I learned that Luke and many others said "it seemed good" when they felt led by The Holy Spirit to do something :)

Cturtle and I are not in dispute about either times or events, we are merely discussing, which is what a forum is for.

I think he was trying to let the other readers know a little nugget of truth that he has found useful in his studies. It was not meant as to accuse us of arguing. That's why it was not addressed to either of us :)

13.gif

Hi Chris,
Some times you just make me smile!
Lol why yes I know it is a forum.
I only intended on pointing out a fact that being so concerned with dates and chapters does no one any good.
That is why I quoted No One and was only adding a thought in a forum situation.

Explanation

A person can work hard to figure out who first grew the first potatoes and which field and what year and which was used first the knife or potato peeler.
But that won't feed any one or cause them to grow, however if you peel the potato and cook it and put it on a plate, now you have food that will nourish people!!

I had no harsh feelings but Big hunger to eat !!
The topic is the Gospel and there is Meat to Eat in there.

I apologize to you since you seem to have thought differently.
Blessings
FCJ

Blessings to All
FCJ
On the contrary, Fish Catcher Jim,
I believe that when something is said or done can be vital to determining what is the will of God for us. Though disputing anything for the sake of it is pointless I agree.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Hello again,

The gospel of the glory of Christ is not a subject that the enemy of our souls wishes us to consider. He would have Christ remain on the cross in the minds of men, and not acknowledged as the ascended and glorified Lord,

The good news is called 'The glorious gospel' - of - 'the blessed God', which Paul said, 'was committed to my trust'. (1 Tim.1:11)

It is the good news of the glory which follows the suffering of Christ. Suffering and glory go hand in hand in Scripture, you can't have the one without the other.

It is part of the Gospel of the grace of God, for there can be no gospel of the grace of God without the gospel of the glory of Christ.

This is worthy of so much more than I have said here, it is, like all the definitions of the good news of God that we have been considering, worthy of our worshipful attention, with hearts and minds filled with gratitude and praise.

How wonderful to think that Our Lord left His glory, and came to earth in the form of a man, with all it's limitations, to suffer and to die, in order that we may be redeemed. That we may not only be able to see His glory but share in it also.

Praise God!

Thank you for listening, and for your contributions.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
I believe that when something is said or done can be vital to determining what is the will of God for us. Though disputing anything for the sake of it is pointless I agree

Hi Chris,

Can you tell me what led you to believe this statement above?

Thank you
Blessings

I believe that when something is said or done
can be vital to determining what is the will of God for us.
Hi Chris,
Can you tell me what led you to believe this statement above?

Thank you for asking Cturtle,

As you know, I believe that all Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to us (2 Tim. 3:16), but that not all Scripture is about us, ie., about the hope we hold in Christ in this dispensation.

My hope and calling is that of the Church of the One Body of which Christ is the Head. It's blessings are 'all' spiritual, and it's sphere of blessing is in heavenly places in Christ Jesus. There are other spheres of blessing associated with other callings, which find their fulfillment upon the earth, ie., that of the nation of Israel, and of the New Jerusalem which comes down out of heaven to the new earth.

The hope and calling of the Church of the One Body of which Christ is the Head, was not revealed until after Paul's imprisonment at the end of the Acts period. It's relevant doctrine and practice is made known by Paul in his epistles written from prison, ie., Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1&2 Timothy and Titus.

The books written by Paul during the Acts, although containing much for our learning which is foundational to our faith, do not tell us about the Church of the One Body of which Christ is the Head, ie, it's doctrine and practice; for that knowledge was 'hid in God' (Eph. 3:9) prior to it's revelation to Paul, as it's Steward.

You have heard this from me before, many times, and must find it irritating at times, but I cannot apologize for it, for it is essential to just about all that I believe in Christ Jesus.

---------------------------

* The need to take into consideration what is said or written, of whom, to whom, with what words, at what time, where, to what intent, and with what circumstance, considering what comes before and what follows is vital to how we interpret the Word of God. The acknowledgement also, that God always says what He means and means what He says, is vital to a true understanding, I am sure you will agree, CT.

I hope I have interpreted your question correctly, and have given a satisfactory reply.

With love in Christ Jesus
Chris

You have heard this from me before, many times, and must find it irritating at times, but I cannot apologize for it, for it is essential to just about all that I believe in Christ Jesus.

No apology needed. For its important to know what we believe and have Scripture to back it up to make sure we are not in error according to the Word.

I believe that all Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to us (2 Tim. 3:16), but that not all Scripture is about us, ie., about the hope we hold in Christ in this dispensation.

Can you explain this a little further for me? These two statements seem somewhat contradictory to each other. And I'm sure it is just me. For i can think of only one passage of Scripture that could back this up.

Thank you so much for all of your time, and consideration

Much love in Christ
Gina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back