The Prayer Of Faith Vs. If It Be Your Will: Which Gets Answered?

You have given no scripture for your position on healing. I have given many plus 34 years of testimony to God's faithfulness. You have given none.
The correct response of a disciple not having faith is to not get offended or guilty but seek Jesus to find out how that can be changed. He ALWAYS shows the issue and how to correct it.
Here is what Jesus said to His disciples on the issue of lack of faith:Mark 9:18-19
New King James Version (NKJV)
18 And wherever it seizes him, it throws him down; he foams at the mouth, gnashes his teeth, and becomes rigid. So I spoke to Your disciples, that they should cast it out, but they could not.
19 He answered him and said, “O faithless generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I bear with you? Bring him to Me.”
Here is how His disciples react: Mark 9:28-29
28 And when He had come into the house, His disciples asked Him privately, “Why could we not cast it out?
29 So He said to them, “This kind can come out by nothing but prayer and fasting.

They did not get offended and leave. If they had here is what Jesus said to those who those who left because of offense: John 6:65-66
65 And He said, “Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father.”
66 From that time many of His disciples went back and walked with Him no more.

My friend, why do you keep saying that no Scripture has been given. That is simply not true.

Major said:
Most .....MOST people would pray and then take their child to the hospital for treatment................​
at least I would.{/quote]​
lesjude said:
This is true but not NORMAL Christianity.​
So, a Christian who prays then takes their child to the hospital is either not a Christian of AB-NORMAL?

Amen!

@lesjude: IMHO you are still very, very focused on THIS life's issues. As followers of the Living Christ who was raised from the dead and sits at the right hand of the Father, aren't we supposed to be preparing for eternal life - not focusing on how to be more successful and more comfortable in this life by focusing on being healed of an infirmity, or make a bill, or find a winning lottery ticket.....whatever it may be? He is clear: "Seek FIRST the Kingdom of God...."

(BTW - I am not saying here that He is not absolutely interested in every detail in our lives! I only mean to say - His focus is not like ours; ours focus should be like His.)
The focus is ALWAYS Jesus. Here one major way he is glorified, healing! It is what Jesus did for others over and over, expects us to do for others, and willingly does for any of His disciples that by grace through faith meet the conditions. If anyone thinks that living Matthew 5, 6, and 7, doing Matthew 10:7-8 and Mark 16:17-18, living the heartbreak of Luke 14:25-33, and Matthew 5:11 is being successful and comfortable they are deceived. This is the flip side of our testimony. If you see how Jesus was treated in the gospels it is the same as a disciple will be treated including your own death, not a physical one, but death to the self life. There are times you will think you will die however. If you finish the verse you will see it promises this: Matthew 6:32-33
32 For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

In the verses you quoted in your post (#35) you absolutely miss His main concern. YES, he came to heal the sick and infirmed, and the broken-hearted. He could have done that from HEAVEN, my friend! But, what was JESUS' main concern for these people, and by extension all of humanity? THEIR (OUR) ETERNAL LIFE WITH THE FATHER. That is the ONLY reason He came...to reconcile us to the Father! Right? He had to die a physical, blood-soaked, tortured, horrible, inconceivable death.
No, He came to teach, preach, and demonstrate the Kingdom of God and then died to give His elect the right to have the blessings He taught and demonstrated here on earth with eternal life. AND just as important to do the same things He did and greater to bless people and bring them into His Kingdom with ALL its blessings with persecutions.

As the incarnate God and being fully the Son of Man, simultaneously, He (the Son of God and the fullness of the Godhead incarnate) was broken-hearted to see His (the Son of Man's) people's pain and suffering so, of course, He healed them of their physical infirmities - first. But, He didn't always heal. The answer wasn't always no. The answer wasn't always yes. His Infinite Wisdom sees the heart's deepest needs - whether they be physical healing, mental healing, spiritual healing or otherwise. HE alone decides WHAT we need and thus He delivers upon His promise to love us more completely than we could even imagine. He only asks that we trust He will meet our needs. I will say it again...NEEDS. Our perception of a situation is not always His perception of the situation.
You need to give me just one scripture where Jesus did not ALWAYS heal those who came to Him.
And are we as His disciples not to have the same compassion He did and do what He says in Matthew 10:7-8 and Mark 16:17-18. One NEED that seems quite pressing for most is healing otherwise why would millions be spent on drugs, doctors and medical insurance? Jesus dealt with that in Isaiah 53:4-5 on the cross.
The Bible says we have the mind of Christ IF we allow the Holy Spirit to renew the mind with the word. Religion is the opiate of the people and retards/stops that renewal.

Please, please allow the Holy Spirit to show you what He desires you to see, not what I, we (on this forum), or anyone else in your day-to-day path desires for you to see and understand regarding this matter. As much as you may wish we (on this forum) would open our spiritual minds to this "truth" you so adamantly proclaim, my sincere wish and prayer is that you would be willing to genuinely step outside of your traditional teachings, and even what you've personally experienced, to be open to see just what He is trying to teach you at this moment in time - I don't proclaim to know this - only that the current dissension on the subject WILL be used for His glory, somehow. (And for that matter, we would all do well to do the same!) I mean, we came here - to this forum - to sharpen our irons, right? We can do that without piercing each other, I believe.

REMEMBER: He doesn't have to follow any rules. He is the Rule.
No one here has given one scripture to prove what they say. It has been all traditions and doctrines of men. I give experience and scripture with it.

We have lived this for 34 years. Do I have all the truth? No. But what I have lines up with scripture and works for us and those we get to minister to. It will be the same for anyone as it is NORMAL Christianity. Here is scripture for God's rules: Psalm 138:2
2 I will worship toward Your holy temple,
And praise Your name
For Your lovingkindness and Your truth;
For You have magnified Your word above all Your name.
And: John 1:1
The Eternal Word

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
He never goes against His word!

Please forgive me if I've been anything to you except a differing opinion, as I don't intend to be anything else, especially "right." Instead, may His name be praised forevermore!

We have no issues. Opinion with no scripture to support it is just that. Mine would mean nothing without scripture.

We have no issues. Opinion with no scripture to support it is just that. Mine would mean nothing without scripture.

Lesjude,

AND, your interpretation of scripture is your opinion. A scripture given/quoted does not automatically equal RIGHT interpretation. Scripture pulled out of the context of the story, parable, narrative, paragraph, etc., equals opinion without THE WHOLE COUNSEL of the Bible. AKA heresy.

You are right - He never goes against His Word, His WHOLE Counsel, which is the Word of God coupled with the Testimony of His Spirit. Why do you try to manipulate God for your purposes? Who are you trying to convince, here?

I have to "shake the dust," my friend. I will not post again on this subject, neither will I continue to follow this post, as it is now out of my hands to try to offer you another perspective - one which I believe the Spirit adamantly proclaims to my soul. HE IS THE ONLY RIGHTEOUS ONE. I know you believe your perspective is the only right one. So does the devil. Be careful not to slip into the trap of pride. Best wishes for your journey.

Lesjude,

AND, your interpretation of scripture is your opinion. A scripture given/quoted does not automatically equal RIGHT interpretation. Scripture pulled out of the context of the story, parable, narrative, paragraph, etc., equals opinion without THE WHOLE COUNSEL of the Bible. AKA heresy.

You are right - He never goes against His Word, His WHOLE Counsel, which is the Word of God coupled with the Testimony of His Spirit. Why do you try to manipulate God for your purposes? Who are you trying to convince, here?

I have to "shake the dust," my friend. I will not post again on this subject, neither will I continue to follow this post, as it is now out of my hands to try to offer you another perspective - one which I believe the Spirit adamantly proclaims to my soul. HE IS THE ONLY RIGHTEOUS ONE. I know you believe your perspective is the only right one. So does the devil. Be careful not to slip into the trap of pride. Best wishes for your journey.
You have given no scripture. No, we are the righteousness of God in Christ. I do more than believe it. I live it.
If it heresy to trust God alone for what He promises than I am guilty. However you have given no scripture to show that the way we have lived for 34 years is not normal Christianity. I think it is because if it is than how you live is not.

Major said:
Most .....MOST people would pray and then take their child to the hospital for treatment................​
at least I would.​
lesjude said:
This is true but not NORMAL Christianity.​
So, a Christian who prays then takes their child to the hospital is either not a Christian of AB-NORMAL?
As should be obvious by now I am not like as you say most Christians. That makes me no better or worse however it does say this in the Bible: Hebrews 11:6
6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.
You have no idea of the cost to be Holy Spirit trained in Hebrews 11 faith. You have no idea of the fear that grips you when you hold a dead baby in your arms and there is no hope. Or see your wife hemorrhage for weeks at a time and have to get in the truck and go to work with that fear in the back of your mind she will be dead before you get home. And it continues on and off for years. I could go on but you get some idea of the cost. In each of those occasions Jesus was faithful and in MANY more just like them. And Jesus has made us faithful. How about you all?

That is not my call. However there is only ONE remedy for sickness in the Bible which is 1 John 5:14-15. Please give scripture that indicates any other action in normal.

That's not the same as saying no Scripture was given, just Scripture you don't agree with.
All have been what I have been accused of, out of context or a fragment which if the whole verse is given it does not mean that at all. None of your claims about healing have been supported by scripture in any direct way.

As should be obvious by now I am not like as you say most Christians. That makes me no better or worse however it does say this in the Bible: Hebrews 11:6
6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.
You have no idea of the cost to be Holy Spirit trained in Hebrews 11 faith. You have no idea of the fear that grips you when you hold a dead baby in your arms and there is no hope. Or see your wife hemorrhage for weeks at a time and have to get in the truck and go to work with that fear in the back of your mind she will be dead before you get home. And it continues on and off for years. I could go on but you get some idea of the cost. In each of those occasions Jesus was faithful and in MANY more just like them. And Jesus has made us faithful. How about you all?

That is not my call. However there is only ONE remedy for sickness in the Bible which is 1 John 5:14-15. Please give scripture that indicates any other action in normal.

Thus, it is written, ...................................
AND NOW, BECAUSE YE HAVE DONE ALL THESE WORKS, SAITH THE LORD, AND I SPAKE UNTO YOU, RISING UP EARLY AND SPEAKING, BUT YE HEARD NOT (they would not listen to God calling them); AND I CALLED YOU, BUT YE ANSWERED NOT; THEREFORE PRAY NOT THOU FOR THIS PEOPLE, NEITHER LIFT UP CRY NOR PRAYER FOR THEM, NEITHER MAKE INTERCESSION TO ME: FOR I WILL NOT HEAR THEE-Jere 7:13,16.

THERE IS A SIN UNTO DEATH: I DO NOT SAY THAT HE SHALL PRAY FOR IT-1 Jn 5:16. IF I REGARD INIQUITY IN MY HEART, THE LORD WILL NOT HEAR ME-Ps 66:18.

It is written, NOW FAITH IS THE SUBSTANCE OF THINGS HOPED FOR, THE EVIDENCE OF THINGS NOT SEEN. FOR BY IT THE ELDERS OBTAINED A GOOD REPORT-Heb 11:1,2. BY FAITH ABEL OFFERED UNTO GOD A MORE EXCELLENT SACRIFICE THAN CAIN, BY WHICH HE OBTAINED WITNESS THAT HE WAS RIGHTEOUS, GOD TESTIFYING OF HIS GIFTS: AND BY IT HE BEING DEAD YET SPEAKETH-Heb 11:4.
You see, faith is an offering. Abel offered up his sacrifice; he also offered up his life. You and I MUST offer up our lives, too. Even as Abel’s faith cost him his very life, your faith may cost you your life. You are no longer your own. You are bought with a price. Faith is hardly that which is being promoted in some books today, OR PROCLAIMED OVER THE RADIO. It is an offering. And isn’t it strange? We are being told that our faith will gain us all the riches of the universe, while in reality, faith may cost an individual everything he has. Could it be that this example of Abel’s faith is the pattern God demands we follow?

True faith is not necessarily dramatic answers to prayer, or God performing miracles. God does heal and perform miracles, because He is a prayer-answering God. True faith, however, is recognizing that you are a sinner in need of God’s saving grace. Of course, once saved, we must live for Him, no matter what happens. We may have victories or we may have (what looks like) defeats; yet as Christians we must persevere and stand the test. We should say, "When the roll is called up yonder (by God’s help and grace) we’ll be there." This is faith.

All have been what I have been accused of, out of context or a fragment which if the whole verse is given it does not mean that at all. None of your claims about healing have been supported by scripture in any direct way.

1 Cor 10:13-THERE HATH NO TEMPTATION TAKEN YOU BUT SUCH AS IS COMMON TO MAN: BUT GOD IS FAITHFUL, WHO WILL NOT SUFFER YOU TO BE TEMPTED ABOVE THAT YE ARE ABLE; BUT WILL WITH THE TEMPTATION ALSO MAKE A WAY TO ESCAPE, THAT YE MAY BE ABLE TO BEAR IT.

Ps 56:3,4-WHAT TIME I AM AFRAID, I WILL TRUST IN THEE….IN GOD I HAVE PUT MY TRUST; I WILL NOT FEAR WHAT FLESH CAN DO UNTO ME.

Lk 22:35-AND HE SAID UNTO THEM, WHEN I SENT YOU WITHOUT PURSE, AND SCRIP, AND SHOES, LACKED YE ANY THING? AND THEY SAID, NOTHING.

Isa 25:4-FOR THOU HAST BEEN A STRENGTH TO THE POOR, A STRENGTH TO THE NEEDY IN HIS DISTRESS, A REFUGE FROM THE STORM, A SHADOW FROM THE HEAT, WHEN THE BLAST OF THE TERRIBLE ONES IS AS A STORM AGAINST THE WALL.

Lesjude obviously has more faith than the rest of us - woe is me :(

If I had Lesjude's faith I would be in the hospitals every single day raising the sick and the dead! Why havnt I heard of Lesjude before? Is it because only his personal requests are answered and the sick children dont have enough faith?

If my prayer of faith could cause God to answer my every prayer, even if it is against His will, I would be God since He would be at my every beck and call.

Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses” 1Timothy 5:23.

Why didn't Paul heal Timothy???

In 2Timothy 4:20 we read that Paul “left Trophimus sick in Miletus.

2 Corth. 12:7-10And his three prayers for his “thorn in the fleshwere not answered with physical healing.

One of Jesus’ parables tells of a Samaritan traveller who “poured oil and wine on his wounds and bandaged them” Luke 10:25-37. It seems there was nothing unusual about this and at the time it was a way of helping the healing process. Why would Jesus use this example of physical help if there was something intrinsically wrong with treating and binding up wounds?

We might also ask why Jesus would use the following analogy of spiritual healing if there is something inherently evil or bad about medical practitioners and their work. Jesus also said in Luke 5:31 “Jesus answered them, “People who are well do not need a doctor, but only those who are sick.” The comparison is with what Christ was doing spiritually. Verse 32 goes on to say, “I have not come to call righteous people, but sinners, to repentance.” As doctors help the body overcome the effects of physical disease, so Jesus provides healing for the human spirit. But there is no suggestion here that doctors should be avoided. In fact quite the opposite, it implies they do something good.

Common sense must prevail in that medical help is indeed essential at times. For example in accidents, pain relief or childbirth. Rachel died in giving birth to Benjamin. Genesis 35:19. If you were in a car accident and bleeding to death would you let the ambulance take you to hospital or would you refuse and wait on God? The fact is that God does heal in situations when there has been no medical help and also when there has been and continues to do so. It’s also fact that He does not always heal immediately, and sometimes He doesn’t heal at all and and they await the resurrection

Those who teach that it is always God’s will to heal also advocate the doctrine that it is always God’s will for us to be prosperous. And little wonder, for the same sentiment is behind both. It is a sentiment that is not patient to wait for the day described in Revelation 21:4, that is unwilling to face the full extent of the cross that God has called us to, during the brief span of our days here. It cannot quite accept the fact that God has called us to many sufferings for a season.

Scripture teaches that suffering is a central part of God’s plan and a way of working with us here and now. Some Christians would rather disregard these scriptures or others that show we are not guaranteed a suffering free life, because they so desperately want to believe that they will always receive healing. This often appears to be an issue of fear. However, the Bible tells us to fear not as these times of trials are where we show God that no matter what happens we will still trust and have faith in Him knowing that He is there comforting us. The scriptures make it very clear that there are wonderful and glorious benefits for our sufferings, which will only be for a short while.

Let us imagine for a moment that God never allowed Christians to be sick or have any illness. What would happen if your non-Christian friend told you that they were extremely ill and in lots of pain? How could we have any compassion for them? Our response would probably be; “What is it like to be sick? What is pain?” Instead, we find that 2Corinthians 1:4-5 says, “who comforts us in all our suffering, so that we may be able to comfort others in all their suffering, since we ourselves are being comforted by God. For just as Christ’s sufferings overflow to us, so our comfort overflows through Christ.” If we never experienced suffering, how could our characters ever have any depth? How could we ever have or understand hope? When we think about these things we understand what Paul says in Romans here.

Romans 5:3-4, “Not only that, but we also boast in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, endurance produces character, and character produces hope.

If I had Lesjude's faith I would be in the hospitals every single day raising the sick and the dead! Why havnt I heard of Lesjude before? Is it because only his personal requests are answered and the sick children dont have enough faith?

If my prayer of faith could cause God to answer my every prayer, even if it is against His will, I would be God since He would be at my every beck and call.

Correct!!! IF there was such a thing as man being able to have a gift of healing he would be going from hospital room to hospital room.........NOT ONE STADIUM APPEARANCE TO ANOTHER!!!!

I cannot see anywhere in scripture where going to Doctors is banned. If Lesjude wants to skip going to doctors based on his faith then so be it. I still advise all Christians if they are sick - go to a Doctor. This does not mean we should not pray and believe in healing from Jesus.

I cannot see anywhere in scripture where going to Doctors is banned. If Lesjude wants to skip going to doctors based on his faith then so be it. I still advise all Christians if they are sick - go to a Doctor. This does not mean we should not pray and believe in healing from Jesus.
However there is only ONE remedy for sickness in the Bible which is 1 John 5:14-15. Please give scripture that indicates any other action is normal Christianity.
A person will most certainly go to the physician he lives closet to. Here are some verses to consider: Jeremiah 17:5-6, 2 Chronicles 16:12-15, Mark 5:26. Please give scripture that show God's approval as these show the opposite. Of course all have free will which is just another name for how one chooses to disobey God. That is NEVER an issue for a disciple for very long.
Who do you trust ALONE for forgiveness of sins? Is it Jesus and____? In light of Matthew 9:5-6 are we not expected to trust Jesus alone for both? Give scripture that says any different.

Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses” 1Timothy 5:23.

Why didn't Paul heal Timothy???
The water obviously making him sick as it often did and still does today. We take bottled water when possible when traveling. He did not need healing as many today wouldn't if they used Holy Spirit wisdom in their life styles. Wine is not medicine and was the beverage of choice because of the dangerous water.

In 2Timothy 4:20 we read that Paul “left Trophimus sick in Miletus.
I have left people still sick in hospitals I have prayed for. Some have left our house after ministry worse than they came in. However Jesus healed them. Paul was in faith knowing that he was healed which is shown by him leaving. That is what Hebrews 11: 1 faith is with James 2:20
2 Corth. 12:7-10And his three prayers for his “thorn in the fleshwere not answered with physical healing.
It was not a physical not a disease. Please see my thread on Paul's thorn.

One of Jesus’ parables tells of a Samaritan traveller who “poured oil and wine on his wounds and bandaged them” . It seems there was nothing unusual about this and at the time it was a way of helping the healing process. Why would Jesus use this example of physical help if there was something intrinsically wrong with treating and binding up wounds?
He was not making a point about divine healing as this man was a Samaritan who had no light on divine healing, and the Jews had lost that light as have many Christians.
Oil and wine are not drugs and the Samaritan was not a physician. He did what he knew to do as a heathen. We use the blood of Jesus to stop bleeding of a wound and maybe a bandaid if it is ugly for a time and to keep dirt out.

We might also ask why Jesus would use the following analogy of spiritual healing if there is something inherently evil or bad about medical practitioners and their work. Jesus also said in “Jesus answered them, “People who are well do not need a doctor, but only those who are sick.” The comparison is with what Christ was doing spiritually. Verse 32 goes on to say, “I have not come to call righteous people, but sinners, to repentance.” As doctors help the body overcome the effects of physical disease, so Jesus provides healing for the human spirit. But there is no suggestion here that doctors should be avoided. In fact quite the opposite, it implies they do something good.

Common sense must prevail in that medical help is indeed essential at times. For example in accidents, pain relief or childbirth. Rachel died in giving birth to Benjamin. . If you were in a car accident and bleeding to death would you let the ambulance take you to hospital or would you refuse and wait on God? The fact is that God does heal in situations when there has been no medical help and also when there has been and continues to do so. It’s also fact that He does not always heal immediately, and sometimes He doesn’t heal at all and and they await the resurrection
We have had 5 of our 7 children at home and 10 grand children with no help used from the medical system. Were there issues? Yes, in fact our daughter was still born. Jesus dealt with ALL of the "issues". It is such a simple concept but alas....
I would refuse treatment and call on Jesus as our son did at his workplace when 600 volts arced across his pliers. We were called to the plant and when asked who our physician was we told them Yeshua Rapha, a good Jewish doctor. He had some serious facial muscles issues as a toxic substance was impregnated into his face causing loss of muscle control There was also severe back pain. As a family we battled the devil, thanked and worshiped Jesus for his healing which was not visible at all, in fact got WORSE. He missed no work days and Jesus totally healed him. His face looked quite funny for about 2 weeks. Please explain to me why this is not normal Christianity.
We have lived for 34 years raising 7 children to adulthood with MANY issues in the healing area for all of us. Jesus ALWAYS heals. I need you to give scripture for your assertions on healing.

Those who teach that it is always God’s will to heal also advocate the doctrine that it is always God’s will for us to be prosperous. And little wonder, for the same sentiment is behind both. It is a sentiment that is not patient to wait for the day described in , that is unwilling to face the full extent of the cross that God has called us to, during the brief span of our days here. It cannot quite accept the fact that God has called us to many sufferings for a season.
Trust me we have had serious financial trials with no job, no unemployment insurance and no prospects. We were in the school of the Holy Spirit called faith for finances and daily provision. He provided by telling no one of our needs but Jesus.
Scripture teaches that suffering is a central part of God’s plan and a way of working with us here and now. Some Christians would rather disregard these scriptures or others that show we are not guaranteed a suffering free life, because they so desperately want to believe that they will always receive healing. This often appears to be an issue of fear. However, the Bible tells us to fear not as these times of trials are where we show God that no matter what happens we will still trust and have faith in Him knowing that He is there comforting us. The scriptures make it very clear that there are wonderful and glorious benefits for our sufferings, which will only be for a short while.
There will be trials: persecution to work endurance , teach faith, locate you faith or lack of it, teach God's faithfulness, build approved character, produce spiritual maturity, so we can be trusted with more spiritual authority etc. However just like Job and everyone else deliverance, healing, abundant provision, etc when the lessons are learned. We have been through many.

Let us imagine for a moment that God never allowed Christians to be sick or have any illness. What would happen if your non-Christian friend told you that they were extremely ill and in lots of pain? How could we have any compassion for them? Our response would probably be; “What is it like to be sick? What is pain?” Instead, we find that 2Corinthians 1:4-5 says, “who comforts us in all our suffering, so that we may be able to comfort others in all their suffering, since we ourselves are being comforted by God. For just as Christ’s sufferings overflow to us, so our comfort overflows through Christ.” If we never experienced suffering, how could our characters ever have any depth? How could we ever have or understand hope? When we think about these things we understand what Paul says in Romans here.

, “Not only that, but we also boast in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, endurance produces character, and character produces hope.
We understand pain, persecution, and suffering very well. Here is what we do at every opportunity for anyone: Mark 16:17-18 and Matthew 10:7-8. What do you do?

Back