The Raptures (Harpazo) of the Scriptures

Great post @Abdicate and very well put together. I got an email today from the JR Church oranganization where they try to sell religious books...this one I am copying and pasting as it is on topic:

...from the archives of J.R. Church - April 1995
While attending the Florida Prophecy Conference recently, I heard Grant Jeffrey talk about his upcoming book, FINAL WARNING, due out in a few weeks. He refuted the claims of those who hold a mid or post tribulation rapture theory by relating two discoveries of ancient writings, in which the pretribulation rapture was taught. I was delighted to hear about his discovery.
You may have heard about Dave McPherson's book, THE INCREDIBLE RAPTURE COVERUP, in which he suggested that John Darby first came up with the teaching of a pretrib rapture in 1820. He claimed that Darby's view came from a Scottish girl, Margaret MacDonald, who supposedly had fallen into a trance and had a vision. The truth of the matter is that Margaret MacDonald said that her vision revealed a mid-trib rapture of only the most holy! John Darby had preached his view of the pretribulation rapture long before Margaret had her so-called vision.
On the other hand, another post-tribber, John Bray of Lakeland, Florida, wrote that a Jesuit priest, Emmanuel Laconza, originally came up with the theory of a pretrib rapture in his book, THE COMING OF MESSIAH IN GLORY AND MAJESTY, written in 1812 - eight years before John Darby espoused his view. According to Bray, McPherson's attempt to pin the origin of the rapture on John Darby was a bit too hasty. The fact of the matter is that both men are wrong. Early church leaders believed and taught a pretribulation rapture. They also taught the imminency of the rapture - that is that the rapture can occur without notice at any moment. If anything at all has to occur before the rapture, then it cannot be imminent.
To prove his point, Grant Jeffrey cited two sources from the early writing of Christian theologians. They were the Shepherd of Hermes, published in A.D. 110, and two books written by Ephraim the Syrian, published in A.D. 376. They are ANTICHRIST AND THE END OF THE WORLD and CAVE OF TREASURES. According to Grant Jeffrey, these two books by Ephraim the Syrian were translated into English only recently.
The Shepherd of Hermes (A.D. 110)
In 1844, a bound volume of New Testament books was found in an excavation at the Saint Catherine monastery located near the foot of Mount Sinai. It is called the Sinaiticus. It contains all 27 New Testament Books, plus two others - the Epistle of Barnabas and the Shepherd of Hermes.
In the Shepherd of Hermes,the author relates a vision. He said, "I saw a huge beast [corresponding to the beast of Revelation 13]. The beast has four colors [corresponding to the colors of the four horsemen of Revelation 6]. It is 100 feet long. But I escaped, thanks to the grace and power of God."
Then he meets a virgin dressed in white who says, "Thou hast escaped a great tribulation because thou hast believed and at the sight of such a huge beast, have not doubted. Go therefore, and declare to the elect of the Lord His mighty deeds and say to them that this beast is a type of the Great Tribulation which is to come. If you, therefore, prepare yourselves and with your whole heart turn to the Lord in repentance, then you shall be able to escape it."
Regardless of the stylized circumstances related in his reported vision, Hermes, nevertheless, taught a pretribulation rapture. Though the book has never been accepted as inspired scripture, it at least shows the prevailing theology of one of the most prominent theologians in those few short years following the writing of John's Revelation in A.D. 96. Furthermore, his view must have followed a reading of the book of Revelation. It was evidently a commentary on this last book of the New Testament. The Shepherd of Hermes was considered important enough to be included in the collection of New Testament writings at the Sinai monastery of Saint Catherine - built in the fourth century.
Ephraim the Syrian (A.D. 376)
Also in the fourth century, Ephraim the Syrian wrote a small book entitled, ANTICHRIST AND THE END OF THE WORLD. He published this and other works in A.D. 376. His works remained in relative obscurity throughout the centuries in their native language. They were only recently translated into English.
In ANTICHRIST AND THE END OF THE WORLD, Ephraim said, "We ought to understand thoroughly, therefore my brothers, what is imminent or overhanging. Already there have been hungers and plagues, violent movements of nations and sins, which have been predicted by the Lord. Prepare ourselves for the meeting of the Lord Christ so that He may draw us from the confusion which overwhelms the world. Believe you me, dearest brothers, because the coming of the Lord is nigh. Believe you me because the end of the world is at hand. Believe me because it is the very last time.
Because all Saints and the elect of the Lord are gathered together before the Tribulation which is about to come and are taken to the Lord in order that they may not see at anytime the confusion that overwhelms the world because of our sins. And so brothers most dear to me, it is the eleventh hour, and the end of this world comes to the harvest and angels armed and prepared hold sickles in their hands awaiting the empire or kingdom of the Lord...
"When therefore the end of the world comes, that abominable, lying, and murderous one who is born from the tribe of Dan....He is conceived from the seed of a man and from a most vile virgin mixed with an evil or worthless spirit.
"Therefore, when he receives the kingdom, he orders the Temple of God to be rebuilt for himself which is in Jerusalem who, after coming into it, he shall sit as God in order that he may be adored by all nations.
"Then all people from everywhere shall flock together to him and the holy city shall be trampled on by the nations for 42 months. Just as the holy apostle says in the Apocalypse which becomes 3 and 1/2 years - 1260 days.
"Then when the 3 and 1/2 years have been completed, the time of antichrist through which he will have seduced the world, after the resurrection of the two prophets, in the hour which the world does not know and on the day which the enemy or son of perdition does not know, will come the sign of the son of man. And coming forward, the Lord shall appear with great power and much majesty with the sign of the word of salvation going before Him."
Ephraim the Syrian also wrote another book, CAVE OF TREASURES, in which he elaborated upon the antichrist:
"The Jews have no longer among them a king or priest or prophet or Passover. Even as Daniel prophesied concerning them saying, 'after two and sixty weeks Christ shall be slain and the city of holiness shall be laid waste until the completion of things decreed.' At the end of the world and at the final consummation, suddenly the gates of the north shall be open. They will destroy the earth and there be none able to stand before them. After one week they will all be destroyed in the plane of Joppa. Then will the Son of Perdition appear of the seed and tribe of Dan. He'll go into Jerusalem, will sit on the throne, etc."
First, please note that Ephraim the Syrian taught a pretribulation rapture. Evidently, he was not encumbered by the writings of Roman theologians, Origen (185-254) and Augustine (354-425)..
Origen was the first to become discouraged with prophecy, turn from a literal interpretation of the Bible, and espouse an allegorical method of interpretation. He corrupted early Christian theology in Rome with the idea that Gentile Christianity had replaced the Jews as God's Chosen People.
A literal view points to Israel as the heir to the Abrahamic and Mosaic covenants. Since the holyland had been destroyed and the Jews scattered to the slave markets of the world, it seemed only natural to view the Scriptures from a new perspective. Origen thought that God was finished with the Jews and had turned over their inheritances, which He had promised to Israel, to the church instead.
Church historian A.H. Newman wrote, "Origen was the first to reduce the allegorical method of interpretation to the system....His method of Scripture interpretation was soon adopted throughout the church, and prevailed throughout the middle ages. In this particular, Origen's influence was bad, and only bad."
Augustine followed Origen's theology and developed the alegorical view into a theology that has dominated European Christianity until this very day.
Over the centuries, however, some have continued to hold to the original view - a literal interpretation of Scripture, in which the Jews are promised a return to their land in the last days. With the reformation, some 400 years ago, theologians began to return to a literal interpretation and, eventually, the pretribulation rapture view was revived.

I found this video that explains how the Passover is like a rapture.

The Haggadah is the text that sets the order of the Passover meal. An ancient haggadah was found in Europe with a different text.

matzah_0.JPG

The first matzah had to be pointing towards the world (other at the table) meaning it was a triangle cut. The base at the father and the point towards the others at the table, meaning from the Father to the world (Jesus being sent to the world by God). The next piece of matzah was placed on top of that with the point facing the father, meaning He is returning to God in heaven, symbolically. This pattern represents the Star of David, albeit before it was called that. However the triangle in ancient days represented the Priests, Levites, and Israel, a ruling by Gamaliel I, Paul's mentor.

Now the third matzah is to be placed on top again with the point facing the world. Take the middle matzah out and break it, as Jesus was broken for our sins.

Yachatz - Breaking the Middle Matzah
Take the middle matzah and break it into two, one piece larger than the other. The larger piece is set aside to serve as afikoman [A piece of matzo reserved to be eaten as the last food at a Passover Seder, sometimes initially hidden by the head of the household and searched for by the children present, who are then given a small reward for its return]. The smaller piece is put back, between the two matzot.​

Pasted from <http://www.chabad.org/holidays/passover/pesach_cdo/aid/661624/jewish/English-Haggadah.htm>

Isaiah 27:13 (KJV)
And it shall come to pass in that day, [that] the great trumpet shall be blown, and they shall come which were ready to perish in the land of Assyria, and the outcasts in the land of Egypt, and shall worship the LORD in the holy mount at Jerusalem.​

Today the Jews pay huge amounts of money to be buried in the Mt. of Olives so they will be with the Messiah comes. Barabbas was the scapegoat and Jesus was for the Lord!

I found this video that explains how the Passover is like a rapture.

The Haggadah is the text that sets the order of the Passover meal. An ancient haggadah was found in Europe with a different text.

matzah_0.JPG

The first matzah had to be pointing towards the world (other at the table) meaning it was a triangle cut. The base at the father and the point towards the others at the table, meaning from the Father to the world (Jesus being sent to the world by God). The next piece of matzah was placed on top of that with the point facing the father, meaning He is returning to God in heaven, symbolically. This pattern represents the Star of David, albeit before it was called that. However the triangle in ancient days represented the Priests, Levites, and Israel, a ruling by Gamaliel I, Paul's mentor.

Now the third matzah is to be placed on top again with the point facing the world. Take the middle matzah out and break it, as Jesus was broken for our sins.

Yachatz - Breaking the Middle Matzah
Take the middle matzah and break it into two, one piece larger than the other. The larger piece is set aside to serve as afikoman [A piece of matzo reserved to be eaten as the last food at a Passover Seder, sometimes initially hidden by the head of the household and searched for by the children present, who are then given a small reward for its return]. The smaller piece is put back, between the two matzot.​

Pasted from <http://www.chabad.org/holidays/passover/pesach_cdo/aid/661624/jewish/English-Haggadah.htm>

Isaiah 27:13 (KJV)
And it shall come to pass in that day, [that] the great trumpet shall be blown, and they shall come which were ready to perish in the land of Assyria, and the outcasts in the land of Egypt, and shall worship the LORD in the holy mount at Jerusalem.​

Today the Jews pay huge amounts of money to be buried in the Mt. of Olives so they will be with the Messiah comes. Barabbas was the scapegoat and Jesus was for the Lord!
Isn't that amazing, the Jews acknowledge Yeshua without even knowing it.
I sometime ago saw a video from a Rabbi - Dick Reuben - turned Christian, teaching on the significance of the old testament books and how everything links to Jesus Christ. He also eluded to the three breads, and the middle which was broken and taken when they experienced illnesses - it is Jesus man, they must just stop being blind.

Buncha things I didn't know in the video and a bunch I don't understand, so I guess I will have to rewatch later. I'm kinda fuzzy on how being interred at the Mount of Olives is the Jewish rapture? Have you read the book? Are matza's now round or still triangular? I thought that a "stranger" is included at the Passover meal...gentile. You would have to be circumsized for that postion at that meal? I find I want to find more information on Jewish feasts - anyone know a good book? Interesting that one of the feasts are no longer observed (I forgot which one? First fruits?)

While we've been focusing on the "catching away", there are "gatherings" as well.

Ephesians 1:9-10 (KJV)
Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself: That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; [even] in him:
2 Thessalonians 2:1 (KJV)
Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and [by] our gathering together unto him,​

1 Corinthians 15:51-52 (KJV)
Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.​

Other words not found in the scriptures we label to explain the event:
  • Demon
  • millennial reign
  • second coming
  • second advent
  • trinity
Even Jerome, who translated the word of God from Greek to Latin, used raptura (from a noun form of the verb rapiemur) in 1 Thessalonians 4:17, which is where we get the word rapture in English.

Other words that can be used to describe the rapture event are:
  • catching away
  • gathering together
  • ingathering
  • great assembly
What/where is the great assembly?

Hebrews 12:22-23 (KJV)
But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
1 Corinthians 13:10 (KJV)
But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.​

In other words, when Jesus returns we'll be made perfect and our understanding will no longer be in part. General Assembly in the Greek is pan-ay-goo-ris meaning "all" and "assemble". It alluded to when the Greeks assembled at festive events and the games. There is a "cloud of witnesses" cheering us on, Hebrews 12:1-2!

Another phrase gathering together, 2 Thessalonians 2:1, and assembling together, Hebrews 10:25, is episunagoge meaning a complete collecting of, alluding to the dead and the living together. Among the Jews it would be called the Great Assembly. Even today, the expansion of the Sanhedrin from 70 to 120 members, of which Ezra, Haggai, Zechariah and Malachi were part of that group, is called Knesset or assembly, gathering (120 members)!

120 were gathered together when the Holy Spirit was given, like the Law given on the same day, the Bride was born.

More to come later...

Buncha things I didn't know in the video and a bunch I don't understand, so I guess I will have to rewatch later. I'm kinda fuzzy on how being interred at the Mount of Olives is the Jewish rapture? Have you read the book? Are matza's now round or still triangular? I thought that a "stranger" is included at the Passover meal...gentile. You would have to be circumsized for that postion at that meal? I find I want to find more information on Jewish feasts - anyone know a good book? Interesting that one of the feasts are no longer observed (I forgot which one? First fruits?)
No I've not read the book. I just thought it was interesting. Read the verse I posted of Isaiah... that's what he's talking about. I would think it's more like the resurrection than the rapture, but, back then they argued about whether the resurrection even existed, just like today about the rapture. The matzah today is square and round...

sm500g.jpg

Stack_of_Matzoth_from_kosherstock.jpg

I'm not disagreeing or anything. I just never thought in terms of a Jewish Rapture. Sure does complicate things. I would just like to understand it all better. Lot of food for thought in that video.

My bible is not a latin bible so theres no word as rapture in it either.

My bible is KJV and talks about resurrection. Gathering together is what happens after the resurrection, when Jesus gathers everyone together , could also look at it as embracing. (Kjv was not a translation from latin, its from the original languages, hebrew and greek)

I guess thats what ppl talk about when they say rapture, but I really dont like the word, it reminds me of rape. So it just may be semantics, but there is NO rapture without any resurrection FIRST.

If people insist otherwise, only got to look in bible to see its not so. Maybe that word is in the latin bibles, but I dont speak latin, and I dont think anyone else here does either. Unless, perhaps, you go to a roman catholic church.

The sdas, seventh day adventists, are big on teaching about end times. They constantly go on an on about it.

My bible is not a latin bible so theres no word as rapture in it either.

My bible is KJV and talks about resurrection. Gathering together is what happens after the resurrection, when Jesus gathers everyone together , could also look at it as embracing. (Kjv was not a translation from latin, its from the original languages, hebrew and greek)

I guess thats what ppl talk about when they say rapture, but I really dont like the word, it reminds me of rape. So it just may be semantics, but there is NO rapture without any resurrection FIRST.

If people insist otherwise, only got to look in bible to see its not so. Maybe that word is in the latin bibles, but I dont speak latin, and I dont think anyone else here does either. Unless, perhaps, you go to a roman catholic church.

If you understood original languages and the nature of God in His presentation of the catching away of the saints, that would keep you from thinking such absurd things, such as the wonderful rapture associated with rape in your mind. This distasteful association with the word is only your sensibilities keeping you from full comprehension of what lies in store for the Body of Christ.

Whether or not you like the word, that is what is about to happen to us. The resurrection IS the Rapture!

BTW, none of us speak Old English, either.

If you understood original languages and the nature of God in His presentation of the catching away of the saints, that would keep you from thinking such absurd things, such as the wonderful rapture associated with rape in your mind. This distasteful association with the word is only your sensibilities keeping you from full comprehension of what lies in store for the Body of Christ.

Whether or not you like the word, that is what is about to happen to us. The resurrection IS the Rapture!

BTW, none of us speak Old English, either.
The rapture is not the resurrection, they are not one in the same. The resurrection is part of the rapture. There are some saints that will not die when the rapture happens....they will be changed into their incorruptible state. 1 Corinthians 15:51-53.

The rapture is not the resurrection, they are not one in the same. The resurrection is part of the rapture. There are some saints that will not die when the rapture happens....they will be changed into their incorruptible state. 1 Corinthians 15:51-53.

Yes, but the resurrection is concerning those who have died, and it is all part of the rapture of the Church. Certainly, we understand that the living at that time are not resurrected, but caught up to the Lord in the heavens.

Yes, but the resurrection is concerning those who have died, and it is all part of the rapture of the Church. Certainly, we understand that the living at that time are not resurrected, but caught up to the Lord in the heavens.
Just wanted to make things clear since there seems to be some confusion as to what exactly the rapture is. I didn't want someone to think that the resurrection is the rapture across the board, as in everyone that will ever be resurrected is raptured.

Back