The Slain in the Spirit Mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Falling down on the ground when your under the Glory of God is a great mystery. In fact it is quite weird in a natural sense to accept. But knowing God, his ways and thoughts are higher than our own, so who are we to know EVERYTHING of God.There are some denominations who believe in the study and teaching of the word of God, but sadly nothing about the Holy Spirit. Then there are some who believe in nothing but the Spirit of God. How to walk in the Spirit of God, the Gifts of the Spirit of God, but sadly there’s no teaching and study of the Word of God. That brings them into danger of false doctrine. When the Spirit of God, and the Word of God come together, when his bride comes and unites at the foot of the cross, when we lose ourselves surrender to the one who gave up his life. That’s what worship in Spirit and Truth is. I have experienced falling in the Spirit a couple times now, and it is still a mystery. However I do know enough to know that it is a blessing. Some people say it's not of God, others say otherwise. Of course their is a such a thing as counterfeit. Satan has been always twisting things that was meant to be good, and then turned it into something bad. the speaking and praying in tongues as an example. The obvious counterfeit example is the Anti Christ. That is why the spiritual gift of discernment is so important for the church today. Without it, we become deceived. People that I know have claimed that the slain in the spirit is not of God, and not scriptural. But if you look deep into scripture. In one way or in another way, the slain in the Spirit is in the bible from Genesis to Revelations. Even the word "glory" in the old testament is (kavod) comes from the word "heavy" (kaved). And when you experienced the heavy weight of his glory, sometimes you can do nothing but fall. Does it happen to everyone? No. Sometimes he gives us the grace to stand in his presence, but sometimes he gives us the grace to fall. It all comes down to hunger, on how much we want God through scripture and experience? As for me I want all that God has for me, in scripture and experience.

God Bless

(I must admit there might have been other reasons why they fell in these scripture references. But you can not deny that the mystery of the slain in the spirit, played some type of role as it is found in the scripture.)

Genesis 17

1 When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the Lord appeared to him and said, “I am El-Shaddai—‘God Almighty.’ Serve me faithfully and live a blameless life. 2 I will make a covenant with you, by which I will guarantee to give you countless descendants.”
3 At this, Abram fell face down on the ground. Then God said to him, 4 “This is my covenant with you: I will make you the father of a multitude of nations! 5 What’s more, I am changing your name. It will no longer be Abram. Instead, you will be called Abraham,[a] for you will be the father of many nations. 6 I will make you extremely fruitful. Your descendants will become many nations, and kings will be among them!

Leviticus 9

22 After that, Aaron raised his hands toward the people and blessed them. Then, after presenting the sin offering, the burnt offering, and the peace offering, he stepped down from the altar. 23 Then Moses and Aaron went into the Tabernacle, and when they came back out, they blessed the people again, and the glory of the Lord appeared to the whole community. 24 Fire blazed forth from the Lord’s presence and consumed the burnt offering and the fat on the altar. When the people saw this, they shouted with joy and fell face down on the ground.

Numbers 16
41 But the very next morning the whole community of Israel began muttering again against Moses and Aaron, saying, “You have killed the Lord’s people!” 42 As the community gathered to protest against Moses and Aaron, they turned toward the Tabernacle and saw that the cloud had covered it, and the glorious presence of the Lord appeared.
43 Moses and Aaron came and stood in front of the Tabernacle, 44 and the Lord said to Moses, 45 “Get away from all these people so that I can instantly destroy them!” But Moses and Aaron fell face down on the ground.

Numbers 22

31 Then the Lord opened Balaam’s eyes, and he saw the angel of the Lord standing in the roadway with a drawn sword in his hand. Balaam bowed his head and fell face down on the ground before him.
Judges 13

19 Then Manoah took a young goat and a grain offering and offered it on a rock as a sacrifice to the Lord. And as Manoah and his wife watched, the Lord did an amazing thing. 20 As the flames from the altar shot up toward the sky, the angel of the Lord ascended in the fire. When Manoah and his wife saw this, they fell with their faces to the ground.
21 The angel did not appear again to Manoah and his wife. Manoah finally realized it was the angel of the Lord, 22 and he said to his wife, “We will certainly die, for we have seen God!”
23 But his wife said, “If the Lord were going to kill us, he wouldn’t have accepted our burnt offering and grain offering. He wouldn’t have appeared to us and told us this wonderful thing and done these miracles.”
1 Samuel 28

16 But Samuel replied, “Why ask me, since the Lord has left you and has become your enemy? 17 The Lord has done just as he said he would. He has torn the kingdom from you and given it to your rival, David. 18 The Lord has done this to you today because you refused to carry out his fierce anger against the Amalekites. 19 What’s more, the Lord will hand you and the army of Israel over to the Philistines tomorrow, and you and your sons will be here with me. The Lord will bring down the entire army of Israel in defeat.”
20 Saul fell full length on the ground, paralyzed with fright because of Samuel’s words. He was also faint with hunger, for he had eaten nothing all day and all night.
1 Kings 18
36 At the usual time for offering the evening sacrifice, Elijah the prophet walked up to the altar and prayed, “O Lord, God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob,[e] prove today that you are God in Israel and that I am your servant. Prove that I have done all this at your command. 37 O Lord, answer me! Answer me so these people will know that you, O Lord, are God and that you have brought them back to yourself.”
38 Immediately the fire of the Lord flashed down from heaven and burned up the young bull, the wood, the stones, and the dust. It even licked up all the water in the trench! 39 And when all the people saw it, they fell face down on the ground and cried out, “The Lord—he is God! Yes, the Lord is God!”
2 Chronicles 7

1 When Solomon finished praying, fire flashed down from heaven and burned up the burnt offerings and sacrifices, and the glorious presence of the Lord filled the Temple. 2 The priests could not enter the Temple of the Lord because the glorious presence of the Lord filled it. 3 When all the people of Israel saw the fire coming down and the glorious presence of the Lord filling the Temple, they fell face down on the ground and worshiped and praised the Lord, saying,
“He is good!
His faithful love endures forever!”
Job 1

20 Job stood up and tore his robe in grief. Then he shaved his head and fell to the ground to worship. 21 He said,
“I came naked from my mother’s womb,
and I will be naked when I leave.
The Lord gave me what I had,
and the Lord has taken it away.
Praise the name of the Lord!”
Ezekiel 1
26 Above this surface was something that looked like a throne made of blue lapis lazuli. And on this throne high above was a figure whose appearance resembled a man. 27 From what appeared to be his waist up, he looked like gleaming amber, flickering like a fire. And from his waist down, he looked like a burning flame, shining with splendor. 28 All around him was a glowing halo, like a rainbow shining in the clouds on a rainy day. This is what the glory of the Lord looked like to me. When I saw it, I fell face down on the ground, and I heard someone’s voice speaking to me.

Ezekiel 3

22 Then the Lord took hold of me and said, “Get up and go out into the valley, and I will speak to you there.” 23 So I got up and went, and there I saw the glory of the Lord, just as I had seen in my first vision by the Kebar River. And I fell face down on the ground.
24 Then the Spirit came into me and set me on my feet. He spoke to me and said, “Go to your house and shut yourself in.
Ezekiel 43

1 After this, the man brought me back around to the east gateway. 2 Suddenly, the glory of the God of Israel appeared from the east. The sound of his coming was like the roar of rushing waters, and the whole landscape shone with his glory. 3 This vision was just like the others I had seen, first by the Kebar River and then when he came to destroy Jerusalem. I fell face down on the ground. 4 And the glory of the Lord came into the Temple through the east gateway.
Ezekiel 44
4 Then the man brought me through the north gateway to the front of the Temple. I looked and saw that the glory of the Lord filled the Temple of the Lord, and I fell face down on the ground.
Daniel 8
15 As I, Daniel, was trying to understand the meaning of this vision, someone who looked like a man stood in front of me. 16 And I heard a human voice calling out from the Ulai River, “Gabriel, tell this man the meaning of his vision.”
17 As Gabriel approached the place where I was standing, I became so terrified that I fell with my face to the ground. “Son of man,” he said, “you must understand that the events you have seen in your vision relate to the time of the end.”
18 While he was speaking, I fainted and lay there with my face to the ground. But Gabriel roused me with a touch and helped me to my feet.

Matthew 17

1 Six days later Jesus took Peter and the two brothers, James and John, and led them up a high mountain to be alone. 2 As the men watched, Jesus’ appearance was transformed so that his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as light. 3 Suddenly, Moses and Elijah appeared and began talking with Jesus. 4 Peter exclaimed, “Lord, it’s wonderful for us to be here! If you want, I’ll make three shelters as memorials[a]—one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.”5 But even as he spoke, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my dearly loved Son, who brings me great joy. Listen to him.” 6 The disciples were terrified and fell face down on the ground.
Matthew 28

2 Suddenly there was a great earthquake! For an angel of the Lord came down from heaven, rolled aside the stone, and sat on it. 3 His face shone like lightning, and his clothing was as white as snow. 4 The guards shook with fear when they saw him, and they fell into a dead faint.
Acts 9
3 As he was approaching Damascus on this mission, a light from heaven suddenly shone down around him. 4 He fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, “Saul! Saul! Why are you persecuting me?”
Revelation 1
17 When I saw him, I fell at his feet as if I were dead. But he laid his right hand on me and said, “Don’t be afraid! I am the First and the Last. 18 I am the living one. I died, but look—I am alive forever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and the grave.
Revelation 5
8 And when he took the scroll, the four living beings and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp, and they held gold bowls filled with incense, which are the prayers of God’s people. 9 And they sang a new song with these words:
“You are worthy to take the scroll
and break its seals and open it.
For you were slaughtered, and your blood has ransomed people for God
from every tribe and language and people and nation.
10 And you have caused them to become
a Kingdom of priests for our God.
And they will reign[d] on the earth.”
11 Then I looked again, and I heard the voices of thousands and millions of angels around the throne and of the living beings and the elders. 12 And they sang in a mighty chorus:
“Worthy is the Lamb who was slaughtered—
to receive power and riches
and wisdom and strength
and honor and glory and blessing.”
13 And then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea. They sang:
“Blessing and honor and glory and power
belong to the one sitting on the throne
and to the Lamb forever and ever.”
14 And the four living beings said, “Amen!” And the twenty-four elders fell down and worshiped the Lamb.
Revelation 7

9 After this I saw a vast crowd, too great to count, from every nation and tribe and people and language, standing in front of the throne and before the Lamb. They were clothed in white robes and held palm branches in their hands. 10 And they were shouting with a mighty shout,
“Salvation comes from our God who sits on the throne
and from the Lamb!”
11 And all the angels were standing around the throne and around the elders and the four living beings. And they fell before the throne with their faces to the ground and worshiped God. 12 They sang,
“Amen! Blessing and glory and wisdom
and thanksgiving and honor
and power and strength belong to our God
forever and ever! Amen.”

Revelation 11

15 Then the seventh angel blew his trumpet, and there were loud voices shouting in heaven:
“The world has now become the Kingdom of our Lord and of his Christ,[c]
and he will reign forever and ever.”
16 The twenty-four elders sitting on their thrones before God fell with their faces to the ground and worshiped him. 17 And they said,
“We give thanks to you, Lord God, the Almighty,
the one who is and who always was,
for now you have assumed your great power
and have begun to reign.
18 The nations were filled with wrath,
but now the time of your wrath has come.
It is time to judge the dead
and reward your servants the prophets,
as well as your holy people,
and all who fear your name,
from the least to the greatest.
It is time to destroy
all who have caused destruction on the earth.”
Revelation 19

4 Then the twenty-four elders and the four living beings fell down and worshiped God, who was sitting on the throne. They cried out, “Amen! Praise the Lord!”
5 And from the throne came a voice that said,
“Praise our God,
all his servants,
all who fear him,
from the least to the greatest.”

MATT DEGNAN :) lol. i remember telling you about this website when i last saw you :p but you never came on! i'm glad to see your face :)
and maybe i'll see you sometime soon haha. physically i mean! haha.

I try to be careful not to put myself into danger and I always teach the Holy Spirit for without Him I cannot live the Godly Life I have been called to. However, this falling over on your back? It´s not scriptural and it´s not proper in the human sense either. When a man or a woman comes into the presence of any King they bow with their face to the ground, exposing themselves, totally defenseless to the will of the King! And then the pressure on the forehead thing, not correct at all! When you fall down in worship of God/King Jesus, it is face down and you live or die, at His will. Face up and you have your eyes to see if a sword were to be used, that is not submission and total submission is what is required of a slave or a Bond Servant.

I hope your not offended at the serious tone of my attempt to discuss.

I understand what you mean by submission and worship. Let me share with you a true story that I experienced. Sometimes there's no pressure on the forehead at all. And if there was force, then I would say it was the counterfeit of it. The first time i experienced it, someone was just praying over me, and their hand were just gently upon me. After that, I was filled with the Holy Spirit. I was so filled, that His presence was so heavly on me; I fell. As I was on the ground, It felt like a warm blanket came over me. The Comforter of the Holy Spirit. People still had their hands on me praying. When they were gone; I literally could feel hands still on my chest (like the hands of an angel or Jesus himself). Like I said before; their is a such a thing as counterfeit. But I assure you, that wasn't anything demonic at all. It was a Blessing to have experienced it. I pray that God blesses you Bill, with the slain in the Spirit, or not. I pray that you keep hungering after God, and all that he has for you. :)

i can´t argue with that! And although I have had a couple of people promise ¨they¨ could heal me, i know that there is only one that heals and His Holy Spirit has indwelt me for almost 21 years now. God bless and you keep on keeping on!

Amen Bill, God has promised healing over my life as well. I have Cerebral Palsy. I didn't know God wanted to heal me at all, until God showed me a woman who was healed of Cerebral Palsy. Marlene Klepees at a conference. Jesus brought me into full time ministry ever since. God is sooo good!:)

God is the healer, God is the one who saves, God is a ''gentel man'' who will never harm you or put things on you that are negative.
There are many who have followed as men do & seem to be healed, saved or touched by the Holy Spirit.
Whatever!!! it's between them & God & I probably judge falesly at times.
There IS much more to God than whatever is written in black on white paper.
I trust that He gives blessing when we ask & not always as we expect or even want.
Many including myself have been over whelmed by the Holy Spirit in sheading tears which have wraked the body, or even laughing uncontrolably.
HE GAVE ME FEELINGS & I'M HIS. PTL

As we grow in the knowledge of Jesus, and fix our gaze on Christ in the heavenly places, we find our life.We our citizens of heaven. (see Philippians 3:20) For our real life is hidden in Christ (see Colossians 3:1-3).Our hearts begin to become more one with him. We begin to hate more what he hates, and love more what he loves. We take on his desires. We cry when he cries, and we have joy in the LORD. Our we perfect? no. But we fight the good fight of faith, through thick and thin. For he shall never leave us, nor forsake us. Salvation is given by Grace through faith, in the finished work of the cross. Nothing more, nothing less. EVERYTHING we receive, is by his Grace. Undeserving love. Our righteousness is but filthy rags. (see Isaiah 64:6). For it is His righteousness we are clothed in. Therefore Compared to what Christ has done, we literally have nothing to give. When we realize this, that's when we begin to truly fear him, for who He is. In total fear, and in total reverence. (see Proverbs 9:10) We serve and obey him NOT out of obligation, but because we love God, and we have a true passion for him. We our unworthy servants, just doing our duty (see Luke 17:10). If you can describe him in just one word; Sometimes your awestruck, and can say nothing at all. God is wow!

I try to be careful not to put myself into danger and I always teach the Holy Spirit for without Him I cannot live the Godly Life I have been called to. However, this falling over on your back? It´s not scriptural and it´s not proper in the human sense either. When a man or a woman comes into the presence of any King they bow with their face to the ground, exposing themselves, totally defenseless to the will of the King!

I agree. I find nothing in scripture that equates with being "slain in the spirit." Falling and putting the face to the ground is an act of reverent submission, like a bow except lowering the whole body. Other falls are usually out of fear not the Holy Spirit.

When Benny Hinn "slays" people, they fall backwards, not onto their faces. When I've seen people in churches be "slain", they drop to the ground and roll around and flail. They don't put their face to the ground.

My Dad quoted this once; "Worship is not a casual encounter with a buddy. It’s reverent fear of the Creator. Worship is not about fanning a flame in our heart to keep us warm and comfortable. It’s about falling on our face, in profound awe, before the Consuming Fire."

My Dad quoted this once; "Worship is not a casual encounter with a buddy. It’s reverent fear of the Creator. Worship is not about fanning a flame in our heart to keep us warm and comfortable. It’s about falling on our face, in profound awe, before the Consuming Fire."

Very nice.

Hebrews 5:7 During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission.

Amen Bill, God has promised healing over my life as well. I have Cerebral Palsy. I didn't know God wanted to heal me at all, until God showed me a woman who was healed of Cerebral Palsy. Marlene Klepees at a conference. Jesus brought me into full time ministry ever since. God is sooo good!:)
I was there with you and your youth group! And she prayed over me and I was slain in the spirit :) Pretty cool!

I think this sums up "slain in the Spirit". I think we sometimes, as Christians get caught up in the terminology and debate is this scriptural or not. Quite simply we should get rid of the term "slain in the Spirit" because the term is not scriptural but a post modern description of what happens when people do fall in the presence of God.

There are numerous scriptures which depict a person falling in the presence of the Almighty God. Look what happened the night they arrested Jesus, the soldiers all fell to the ground when He announced who He was.

I think we should rename this phrase "slain in the Spirit" to something like "complete reverence in the presence of God". A quick study on the doctrine of the Holy Spirit quickly reveals that the Holy Spirit is God and is also the power of God.
I had this experience once, I was listening to a Holy Spirit filled sermon which spoke straight into the painful situation I was in at the time. When our pastor asked people to stand who needed prayer, I stood up and instantly my legs would not let me stand. I dropped straight back into my chair and the Holy Spirit ministered to me there and then, in my chair. I was not forced to drop, but I felt that someone much more powerful and loving was there and I could not stand. I came out being blessed beyond explanation, emotionally healed.

We need to be careful in examining why and how these things happen. Yes, there are false teachers out there who manage to do the same thing, maybe by hypnosis, who knows, but there are genuine encounters with the Lord which always result in people being blessed beyond what mere man can offer them.

I've almost never seen this happen in real life. I see it quite often with certain televangelists, and I think that's why it gets such a bad reputation. Most of the time that I see it on TV, I can't help but think it's fake.

However, notice that I said ALMOST never seen this. The thing is, I have actually witnessed this twice, and I can guarantee that in those two cases, there was absolutely no shenanigans going on. I can't really say how or why it happened, but I know that the people I saw were 1) not faking and 2) supernaturally influenced because they didn't fall like a person would fall and there was nobody there to catch them because nobody was expecting it to happen.

We need to remember that just because fakes exists, doesn't mean there is no such thing as a genuine article. God works how God chooses to work. I'd put tongues into the same category.

Most of the time that I see it on TV, I can't help but think it's fake. . . .
We need to remember that just because fakes exists, doesn't mean there is no such thing as a genuine article. God works how God chooses to work. I'd put tongues into the same category.

There are three categories that something like being slain or tongues can fall into: real, fake, and mistakes. Someone can experience something and mistakenly believe it's of God.

I wonder why any of it is real if it serves no purpose. But, maybe is harmful, such as giving credibility to those who are fakes. Or, fueling an emotional and self-centered approach to worshiping God.

The original message lists a number of examples of people falling in the Bible, in an attempt to give a biblical precedent to the modern practice of being Slain. But, none of the examples compare to being Slain. And, what's the value or purpose of being Slain?

There are three categories that something like being slain or tongues can fall into: real, fake, and mistakes. Someone can experience something and mistakenly believe it's of God.

I wonder why any of it is real if it serves no purpose. But, maybe is harmful, such as giving credibility to those who are fakes. Or, fueling an emotional and self-centered approach to worshiping God.

The original message lists a number of examples of people falling in the Bible, in an attempt to give a biblical precedent to the modern practice of being Slain. But, none of the examples compare to being Slain. And, what's the value or purpose of being Slain?

I honestly haven't a clue as to any value. It's never happened to me. I don't suspect that it's ever likely to happen to me. In fact, I only have ever witnessed those two incidents that I would even give credence to, and only because I knew both people very well, and I can tell you this much, there was no human way to fake what they experienced, it was certainly supernatural. It's nothing I would even attempt to connect to Scripture even, nor do I think everything that God does HAS to be linked back to Scripture directly, so long as it doesn't contradict what is written. I simply caution that so many immediately point to this stuff as trickery, and it isn't always. Sometimes certainly, but not always.

I have been "slain in the Spirit" many times - sometimes when someone has laid hands on me, other times when there has been no-one anywhere near me. I have had other times when I was totally under the power of the Spirit of God, but it was as if my feet were nailed to the floor and I could not have fallen if I had wanted to.

I have also seen many people "slain" when I have prayed for them - and some whom I have prayed for, then moved on to pray for the next person, only to see the previous person fall after I had moved away.

And yes, I have had times when I have been pushed - in which case I normally dig my heels in and absolutely refuse to go down.

What is the value of being "slain?" When it is genuine, it is an intensely close encounter with God, and a reminder that He is ultimately the One who has control over our lives, even our physical ability to stand. When it is genuine, the result is always good fruit in our lives.

blessings,

Lynn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back