The Testing Of Spirits

Silk said:
So, I have learned again.
Honestly... I have too. There's so much done in the name of Jesus
that doesn't truly advance His kingdom, and leaves the hunger in
human spirits unmet. MacArthur's point that the flesh (rather than
spirit) is fed and catered to in much of what is passed as HS inspired,
I've well taken. It's heartbreaking to see, truly heartbreaking...

Yes, I am, continually...and shocked. It is not a wise thing for a person to access YouTube videos to gain a spiritual understanding of Holy Spirit. He needs the word of God, and good, solid teaching from gifted teachers that God has actually placed in the life of a seeking person.

Truth is truth, no matter where you find it. I believe you can also access the strange fire conference on gty.org and porcupine listed a number of links, as to this as well. I like YouTube because I can access it on my TV (which may or may not buttress your argument) but also it shows like and linked videos, as well as videos in opposition, in array at the right side, and beneath for comments. And all Christian views are represented; ie all the charismatics. What I have found with the charismatics is that their videos constantly ask for donations and have commercials. MacArthur does not. I agree with you about getting your understanding of spiritual things out of the Word/Bible. Actually, MacArthur agrees with that sentiment more firmly than sometimes I do. By that I mean I have found spiritual understanding in other books, altho it needs to conform to the Bible.

Truth is truth, no matter where you find it. I believe you can also access the strange fire conference on gty.org and porcupine listed a number of links, as to this as well. I like YouTube because I can access it on my TV (which may or may not buttress your argument) but also it shows like and linked videos, as well as videos in opposition, in array at the right side, and beneath for comments. And all Christian views are represented; ie all the charismatics. What I have found with the charismatics is that their videos constantly ask for donations and have commercials. MacArthur does not. I agree with you about getting your understanding of spiritual things out of the Word/Bible. Actually, MacArthur agrees with that sentiment more firmly than sometimes I do. By that I mean I have found spiritual understanding in other books, altho it needs to conform to the Bible.

I don't like YouTube because it is excessive with it's false portrayals of the truth with edited and doctored snippets that do not reveal truth but promotes the agenda of the one who posts the videos. It is a dangerous place for someone who is seeking the truth. Most seekers lack Godly wisdom and will allow themselves to be influenced by peddlers of error.

Has anyone else had problems accessing the forum web site or was it just me?

As for agendas (shrug) I have heard that term thrown around a bit here. I tend to think when I hear the term that if it is meant negatively, generally, that, indeed, there are persons who want to exhalt themselves over others. My only agenda is that I want to learn God's truth - to get closer - fully realizing that I am not going to understand everything here. I don't have a ministry or a parish to impress. The call of this thread is to question - test if you will - ourselves, to be sure we are hearing and living the truth according to God's agenda - not our own or someone elses.

Euphemia - do you feel that MacArthur has a dark agenda? Did you watch the video?

Where do you feel he is in error? I have some places - being 2 short of the 19 strange fire conference "episodes" - where I am not necessarily in agreement but I have to say, there aren't many. I feel most of this conference has legitimate concerns and demand biblical scripture, be held as inerrant and the standard all doctrine/theology be held to.

Where do you feel he is in error? I have some places - being 2 short of the 19 strange fire conference "episodes" - where I am not necessarily in agreement but I have to say, there aren't many. I feel most of this conference has legitimate concerns and demand biblical scripture, be held as inerrant and the standard all doctrine/theology be held to.

The man is in denial of the word of God concerning the spiritual gifts. He believes that many of them have ceased. They haven't.

My understanding of MacArthur and friends is that the "Apostalic gifts" (Healing, Prophecy and Tongues - the controversial gifts) have ceased. And they have, in my estimation, a lot of evidence for what they say and biblical back up. I do not believe every person's claims on speaking in tongues, but when someone like Abdicate, or Brother Paul have said they have done so - I believe them. It is clear to me that they are not trying to exhalt themselves. Throughout my life, I have felt physically, a "giddy" excited tingling (hard to describe) which at one time, I identified wih being connected with a "higher level", and now, rightly or wrongly, I identify with the HS moving within me. I mention this because, in episode 16, a clip was shown of Sid Roth trying to get his audience to speak in tongues. And as ridiculous as the clip is meant to be, I felt that movement, every time I replayed the clip. Go figure. I'm unsure as to that meaning. As for prophecy and new revelations, my feeling is a biblical standard of 100% accuracy is the right way. Anything I think God has told me, conforms to the Word. Or it is not from God.

My understanding of MacArthur and friends is that the "Apostalic gifts" (Healing, Prophecy and Tongues - the controversial gifts) have ceased. And they have, in my estimation, a lot of evidence for what they say and biblical back up. I do not believe every person's claims on speaking in tongues, but when someone like Abdicate, or Brother Paul have said they have done so - I believe them. It is clear to me that they are not trying to exhalt themselves. Throughout my life, I have felt physically, a "giddy" excited tingling (hard to describe) which at one time, I identified wih being connected with a "higher level", and now, rightly or wrongly, I identify with the HS moving within me. I mention this because, in episode 16, a clip was shown of Sid Roth trying to get his audience to speak in tongues. And as ridiculous as the clip is meant to be, I felt that movement, every time I replayed the clip. Go figure. I'm unsure as to that meaning. As for prophecy and new revelations, my feeling is a biblical standard of 100% accuracy is the right way. Anything I think God has told me, conforms to the Word. Or it is not from God.

Not one single spiritual gift has cased. As long as the Church is being built, we have need of every on. MacArthur is deceived on that score. We need to guard our hearts and minds carefully as to who we heed.

Not one single spiritual gift has cased. As long as the Church is being built, we have need of every on. MacArthur is deceived on that score. We need to guard our hearts and minds carefully as to who we heed.

Sheesh! LOL! My new keyboard is useless, as the "e" sticks! Let me retype that!

Not one single spiritual gift has ceased. As long as the Church is being built, we have need of every one. MacArthur is deceived on that score. We need to guard our hearts and minds carefully as to who we heed.

Anyone who teaches a "different" Spirit than that which the scriptures reveal, is clearly in error. The Holy Spirit has not changed nor has the gifts of the Spirit been taken away. "you have not because you ask not, you ask and receive not because you don't ask in faith"

The Lord said the Father would give the Holy Spirit to those who ask...not a different Spirit...The SAME Holy Spirit!

I have boundless faith in God's wisdom and love for me. I acknowledge I am unworthy for gifts I never asked for nor have a use for and would gladly let this pass to someone more worthy than I and feels the need more keenly. Altho slow on the uptake sometimes, I am greatful and content with what He has given me. And I certainly agree it is one Holy Spirit, not multiples with differing opinions. As Christians, when we accept Christ as our Savior, we are all blessed with the same Holy Spirit. Some do not get more, while others get less, at least that is my understanding of scripture.

I agree with your post Silk, but we all should understand that God does not give any man, anything based upon how worthy they are. He gives us freely and that which He gives changes us and empowers us unto godliness. "Charismatic" is a gift of "grace".."charis" No man can earn anything by any other way. There is NO BOASTING (on mans part) in the true things of God.

The end must be near. Any understanding of Grace, predicates we are unworthy whether we recieve or don't recieve this or that thing. It's good to know you got my point. Being "grateful" implies that. We can't "earn" God's love but the wonderful part about that which is unspoken is, you can't lose it either. He gives me whatever I need, when I need it. We are each and every one of us, precious in His sight and none of us deserve it. And while I don't necessarily agree with MacArthur on every utterance, I think he has too many biblical points to ignore. I think the main work of the HS is to bring us closer to Christ/God and to gain understanding of His Word and Path as a whole - not to make us spiritual rock stars with our hands out to the ill and poor to subsidize our egomania.

well it seems many want to be "rock-stars" and have NO POWER from God...but only words?

1Co 2:4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:
5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

well it seems many want to be "rock-stars" and have NO POWER from God...but only words?

1Co 2:4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:
5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

So it would seem if you watch the 19 hours of the strange fire conference. Along with this I am taking names and books, etc to watch their videos. And after watching a couple of Benny Hinn, K.Copeland, Word of Faith, Todd Bentley, John Crowder, etal and I am appalled. Things like the 36.000 square foot "parsonage" of Jesse DuPlantis. And they say they have power and millions of people believe them and donate. MacArthur is right - these people are dangerous - to people's salvation and to the Church.

So it would seem if you watch the 19 hours of the strange fire conference. Along with this I am taking names and books, etc to watch their videos. And after watching a couple of Benny Hinn, K.Copeland, Word of Faith, Todd Bentley, John Crowder, etal and I am appalled. Things like the 36.000 square foot "parsonage" of Jesse DuPlantis. And they say they have power and millions of people believe them and donate. MacArthur is right - these people are dangerous - to people's salvation and to the Church.
No the bible is right and the Holy Spirit is the same Spirit. You don't point to the error of some to deny the truth and promote another Spirit. MacArthur is nobody and only has the power to point the finger and speak empty and powerless words.

I think the main work of the HS is to bring us closer to Christ/God and to gain understanding of His Word and Path as a whole - not to make us spiritual rock stars with our hands out to the ill and poor to subsidize our egomania.

Amen to that!

No the bible is right and the Holy Spirit is the same Spirit. You don't point to the error of some to deny the truth and promote another Spirit. MacArthur is nobody and only has the power to point the finger and speak empty and powerless words.
Just curious.. What is the power of Spirit that Bible talks about?

Just curious.. What is the power of Spirit that Bible talks about?
Well you are very aware of the scriptures Rav...:) Where do you want to start? I would start with the scripture I quoted above...and have many more to draw from to make the point upon the work and Power Of God's Spirit.

Co 2:4 nd my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:

Here Paul makes a CLEAR contrast between his ministry that stood in the power of God and those who had words but no power.

Back