Think tank

I don't willingly read bus ads, but maybe there could be some kind of regulation over the kind of advertising it does. If theres room for the big stuff surely there's room for the little stuff. I don't want to see a bus ad for alcohol or condoms on a school route.

Children actually protests theres way too much junk food advertised to them.

I don't live in america sorry so not sure what you all are going on about.

Actually I don't want to know.

It sounds awful.

Council is actually not meant to be involved in profit making enterprises, they are supposed to be a non profit organisation in the interests of public service. If they are not, then they are simply a joke, and corrupt.

Are you guys actually interested in standing up for truth, or just going to let evil take over while doing nothing and living off your retirement checks? Do you actually care about the communities you live in? Cos frankly I don't see a lot of caring going on.

Actually, I'm living off my salary. Not yet retired, but, when I do retire, then I do plan on living off my retirement check (well, electronic deposit). When you retire, what do you plan living off of?

In the context of this discussion, what is the truth and what is the evil?

I don't willingly read bus ads, but maybe there could be some kind of regulation over the kind of advertising it does. If theres room for the big stuff surely there's room for the little stuff. I don't want to see a bus ad for alcohol or condoms on a school route.

Children actually protests theres way too much junk food advertised to them.
Bus ad for condoms? What kind of a community do you live in? I don't think I have ever seen a bus ad for condoms...

I don't live in america sorry so not sure what you all are going on about. Actually I don't want to know. It sounds awful. Council is actually not meant to be involved in profit making enterprises, they are supposed to be a non profit organisation in the interests of public service. If they are not, then they are simply a joke, and corrupt. Are you guys actually interested in standing up for truth, or just going to let evil take over while doing nothing and living off your retirement checks? Do you actually care about the communities you live in? Cos frankly I don't see a lot of caring going on.

Hello Lanolin;

I was reading through Think tank, again, for it makes me see things differently a second time around. I came across your post.

A lot of people who don't live in America will agree there is a lot to learn. Its a big country, and a big country can be complex because so many issues intertwine that can raise problems. Therefore, its easy to understand when one doesn't know whats going on.

We have according to our census 329.50 million Americans. Here is an example of what can be complicated. A room of 20 people will debate the number of population even with the facts in front of them. Perhaps 8 will agree. This is an example of who we are and the way our culture is.

America's has a bill of rights. The first amendment is the freedom of religion, speech and press. Since the day it passed by congress in 1791 there were already problems with our freedom of religion, speech and press since day 1.

As a former student at seminary I studied the problems of freedom religion in America where churches would split over the disagreement of a Scripture! Freedom of speech was abused by damaging the reputation of people's lives with sharp tongues. Freedom of the press replaced truth with fabricated facts.

Heres a fact. The ungrateful that live in our country are the ones who have the computer where they can write, able to buy a pair of shoes, utilize their nice cell phone, buy a house, being able to buy food in a country that is over stocked, never taking the time to thank God for His protection and all He provides. Talk about awful. This does exist in America and its always been an ongoing problem. God sees all.

I truly believe God knew all this was going to happen even though He anointed our first congress in 1789 with 6 ordained ministers and laymen Christians, it was our trust in God and country that He would always protect the righteous who followed Him daily. This is God's work.

On the flip side, our citizens live in a wonderful culture where mature, contributors of Americans can exercise their freedom of speech, where a family can freely walk in a church in their community and worship and where writers and professional journalism can utilize their resources and write truthful facts within America and across the miles of other nations. This is God's work.

Our non-profit organizations are 501(c)3 and highly governed by the State and IRS. Yes, there have been corrupt non-profits for the motive of making money. But woe is them when they get caught. And they do get caught! The two churches I serve are non-profit organizations. From the offerings we receive a portion is allocated for pastor's salary. Every year when I report my income taxes I report my salaries. This is God's work.

Perhaps the most blessed of our culture has been a leader of charity giving for almost 250 years throughout God's nations.

These are just a taste of our country and culture which has enjoyed prosperity through hard work, coexisting with a huge diversity, resilience, overcoming challenges, taking huge hits while getting back up and a country that chooses to believe in the Almighty God.

Hello Lanolin;

I was reading through Think tank, again, for it makes me see things differently a second time around. I came across your post.

A lot of people who don't live in America will agree there is a lot to learn. Its a big country, and a big country can be complex because so many issues intertwine that can raise problems. Therefore, its easy to understand when one doesn't know whats going on.

We have according to our census 329.50 million Americans. Here is an example of what can be complicated. A room of 20 people will debate the number of population even with the facts in front of them. Perhaps 8 will agree. This is an example of who we are and the way our culture is.

America's has a bill of rights. The first amendment is the freedom of religion, speech and press. Since the day it passed by congress in 1791 there were already problems with our freedom of religion, speech and press since day 1.

As a former student at seminary I studied the problems of freedom religion in America where churches would split over the disagreement of a Scripture! Freedom of speech was abused by damaging the reputation of people's lives with sharp tongues. Freedom of the press replaced truth with fabricated facts.

Heres a fact. The ungrateful that live in our country are the ones who have the computer where they can write, able to buy a pair of shoes, utilize their nice cell phone, buy a house, being able to buy food in a country that is over stocked, never taking the time to thank God for His protection and all He provides. Talk about awful. This does exist in America and its always been an ongoing problem. God sees all.

I truly believe God knew all this was going to happen even though He anointed our first congress in 1789 with 6 ordained ministers and laymen Christians, it was our trust in God and country that He would always protect the righteous who followed Him daily. This is God's work.

On the flip side, our citizens live in a wonderful culture where mature, contributors of Americans can exercise their freedom of speech, where a family can freely walk in a church in their community and worship and where writers and professional journalism can utilize their resources and write truthful facts within America and across the miles of other nations. This is God's work.

Our non-profit organizations are 501(c)3 and highly governed by the State and IRS. Yes, there have been corrupt non-profits for the motive of making money. But woe is them when they get caught. And they do get caught! The two churches I serve are non-profit organizations. From the offerings we receive a portion is allocated for pastor's salary. Every year when I report my income taxes I report my salaries. This is God's work.

Perhaps the most blessed of our culture has been a leader of charity giving for almost 250 years throughout God's nations.

These are just a taste of our country and culture which has enjoyed prosperity through hard work, coexisting with a huge diversity, resilience, overcoming challenges, taking huge hits while getting back up and a country that chooses to believe in the Almighty God.

This is probably one of the best composed and thoughtful products I have had the pleasure of reading in a very long time.

You my brother did a wonderful job on this!!! May God bless you richly!

My thinking and comments have always been that if you do not like living in the USA, go and live somewhere else. Maybe India or China.

Second.....If you do not live in the USA then you have absolutely NO right to say anything negative about the USA.

Last edited:
Auckland Transport!

My friend who's car broke down, had to use AT for her family, and they couldn't even top up their bus cards! How were they meant to get to school or work???

Crazy. I would just walk to mine, but I think they lived too far away, and if you need to carry stuff, it's not ideal.

It seems like they didn't accept cash payment at all (buses used to before they had these cards) . And only selected outlets can top up, you can't just visit any dairy to do it like you can top up a prepay mobile.

Hello Lanolin;

my think tank has abosolutely nothing to do with america.
Sorry, I am thinking of my own community, which is Auckland. So my posts relate to my own community.

If you have an idea for yours, feel free to post it. And encourage each other, but I have not ever said my thoughts are your thoughts. I don't live in your community, and YOUR rules do not apply to my country as we have a completely different kind of govt.

What we do have is people working to create community and these are just my thoughts for the one I live in OK?

Its a bit weird how americans somehow assume everyone lives by the same rules they do. but actually we don't. They don't get it, and don't understand grassroots movements at all. Not everything is actually governed by the govt, they deal with the big issues nationwide, but a lot of the cities, towns and suburbs have to work things out on their own.

I went to a citizenship ceremony this week for my friend who became a New Zealander. It was interesting and new citizens could say either an oath of allegience to Her Majesty the Queen, or a pledge of allegience (kind of the same thing, without mention of 'So help me God'.)
the Kaumatua ( honored maori chief/elder) did a welcome and karakia (prayer) and also said that all those becoming citizens would now be All Blacks Supporters. Then they all got their certificates and sang the national anthem.

This was held in the former council chambers of my former city (before it was amalgamated) and the Mayor and the governor general did a video congrats as they couldn't be there in person.

The council chambers have now become headquarters for Auckland Transport. Ironically. My friend couldn't have got there if she hadn't got a ride with me. So effectively I AM Auckland Transport lol.

This is probably one of the best composed and thoughtful products I have had the pleasure of reading in a very long time. You my brother did a wonderful job on this!!! May God bless you richly! My thinking and comments have always been that if you do not like living in the USA, go and live somewhere else. Maybe India or China. Second.....If you do not live in the USA then you have absolutely NO right to say anything negative about the USA.

Hello Major;

God bless you and its always good to share the Word and life perspectives with you, Pastor.

The facts that result in abundance of blessings comes with a sacrifice for country, our allies and missionary partners. The end result is to bring others to Christ Jesus while making the positive most of it.

I shared the message last Sunday from the Scripture in 1 John 4:7-21, 7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9 In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. 10 In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us. 13 By this we know that we abide in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit. 14 And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world. 15 Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God. 16 So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. 17 By this is love perfected with us, so that we may have confidence for the day of judgment, because as he is so also are we in this world. 18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love. 19 We love because he first loved us. 20 If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen. 21 And this commandment we have from him: whoever loves God must also love his brother.

John uses the word love, singular and past tense, 27 times. We learn to love God by loving others.

Though our charitable missions has continued for 250 years, our allies and missionary partners, year round have been led to America by their ministering (God's love) to us. Our partners from Canada, Korea, Mexico, Great Britain, the Philippines, South Africa and many, many other nations have served in areas of church planting, evangelism, education, technology, social programs, trade agreements for workers, farmers, ranchers, businesses and serving as ministers in the church.

The results have been astounding. Prayer and God's Word does change hearts and lives. People of diverse cultures, working together develop the bond of nation to nation relationships into a united community of believers. Our rich history of community cultural believers can be the salt and light despite the hate, crying and suffering around us in these times.

God bless you and your family.

Hello Major;

God bless you and its always good to share the Word and life perspectives with you, Pastor.

The facts that result in abundance of blessings comes with a sacrifice for country, our allies and missionary partners. The end result is to bring others to Christ Jesus while making the positive most of it.

I shared the message last Sunday from the Scripture in 1 John 4:7-21, 7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9 In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. 10 In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us. 13 By this we know that we abide in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit. 14 And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world. 15 Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God. 16 So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. 17 By this is love perfected with us, so that we may have confidence for the day of judgment, because as he is so also are we in this world. 18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love. 19 We love because he first loved us. 20 If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen. 21 And this commandment we have from him: whoever loves God must also love his brother.

John uses the word love, singular and past tense, 27 times. We learn to love God by loving others.

Though our charitable missions has continued for 250 years, our allies and missionary partners, year round have been led to America by their ministering (God's love) to us. Our partners from Canada, Korea, Mexico, Great Britain, the Philippines, South Africa and many, many other nations have served in areas of church planting, evangelism, education, technology, social programs, trade agreements for workers, farmers, ranchers, businesses and serving as ministers in the church.

The results have been astounding. Prayer and God's Word does change hearts and lives. People of diverse cultures, working together develop the bond of nation to nation relationships into a united community of believers. Our rich history of community cultural believers can be the salt and light despite the hate, crying and suffering around us in these times.

God bless you and your family.

Yes sir! Anything worth having must be worked for and a sacrifice given.

As a Southern Baptist I have always been proud to know that the Southern Baptist Disaster Relief team is the third-largest disaster relief organization in the country. With over 95,000 trained volunteers, Southern Baptists swoop into disaster zones, providing food, clothing, and shelter, among other immediate needs. No one can point their finger at the Southern Baptists and say with any seriousness that the SBC isn't fulfilling Jesus' command to love their neighbors. In fact, it would be incredibly difficult to say that the SBC should be doing more. Apparently, though, demonstrating the love of Jesus is an addiction for the Southern Baptist Convention because the Executive Committee just voted to provide even more aid for the victims of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma.

Its a bit weird how americans somehow assume everyone lives by the same rules they do. but actually we don't. They don't get it, and don't understand grassroots movements at all. Not everything is actually governed by the govt, they deal with the big issues nationwide, but a lot of the cities, towns and suburbs have to work things out on their own.

I went to a citizenship ceremony this week for my friend who became a New Zealander. It was interesting and new citizens could say either an oath of allegience to Her Majesty the Queen, or a pledge of allegience (kind of the same thing, without mention of 'So help me God'.)
the Kaumatua ( honored maori chief/elder) did a welcome and karakia (prayer) and also said that all those becoming citizens would now be All Blacks Supporters. Then they all got their certificates and sang the national anthem.

This was held in the former council chambers of my former city (before it was amalgamated) and the Mayor and the governor general did a video congrats as they couldn't be there in person.

The council chambers have now become headquarters for Auckland Transport. Ironically. My friend couldn't have got there if she hadn't got a ride with me. So effectively I AM Auckland Transport lol.

Ok, your cities and towns also have governments. My town (Cutler Bay) has a government; my county (Miami-Dade) has a government. My state (Florida) has a government. That's three governments before we get to Uncle Sam. Also, would you mind using a capital A for America. I know we all have different values, but I am pretty sure that capitalization is universal. Thanks you, Lanolin.

Its ok.

Didn't you know that NZ is it's own country that's not connected to Australia? I thought I would educate you a bit since you seem totally unaware of it.

My new think tank idea is....

all the infertile couples that spend thousands of dollars on IVF treatments ought to hook up with those couples who have children but can't afford them so need to give them up for adoption. There ought to be some kind of matchmaking system for babies and parents..that's totally transparent, and then people wouldn't need to have abortions.

its raining, Hallelujah...

My think tank idea is that it is filling up people's water tanks. Except we don't have one...but the community garden does, however, it ought to have a rainwater harvester on top because they get their water from the creek.

I have created a little rain garden down in the lowest part of my property to catch the water. Good plants to grow are those that like swampy ground like taro or reeds or flax etc.

Mangroves are our natural filters to cleanse the dirty water as it goes out to sea. I can't believe some people want to get rid of them. I suspect many people have no idea about ecology..

Latest think tank thoughts

Well I walked past some bus stops and saw some had ads about screening for cancer, and then on the other side there were ads advertising junk food. ?!

I wish they had inspirational quotes instead, like Keep Calm and Pray on.

The transport wrote back to me and said I had to write to the media who handle their bus stop ads, but they probably charge heaps for a bus stop ad.
Last time I walked past the bus stop was advertising supermarket deals and a male model who was just advertising himself.

I had this idea, although some of you are inclined to pooh-pooh my ideas but too late I already acted on it.
You may already have this in your own communities, I don't know, I don't live in yours.

We have a water catchment reservoir dam in our hills/ranges that collects all the rainwater and supplies us with fresh water for drinking etc. It's meant to supply all of Auckland.
Unfortunately it had been dry weather over the past few months so we we alarmed to find out it was only 40% full. Past few weeks it's been raining heavily so it should be topped up by now but the council decided to put water restrictions.

My idea was wouldn't it be good to put on the news, on the daily weather report, the percentage of dam water for the day, so us Aucklanders could self-monitor our water use?

So I wrote to the biggest tv news broadcaster and made a suggestion. On the weather report they never mention how much rainfall we have. They always have predictions of what type of weather we might have tomorrow and temperature highs and lows, but NEVER do they actually record and state how much rain fell. How can we use this information if they never provide it?

Back