Three Random Facts

Seeing as I am new to this site and don't know anyone (yet), I thought it might be fun, by way of "introduction", to share three random facts about me and ask you to do the same...

Pick any three 'random' (fun) facts that tell us something about you. (obviously don't share anything private!)

1. Food: I love Cadbury Dairy Milk Chocolate (Made in Australia) :p
  2. Pets: We have two dogs: A large Alaskan Malamute and a tiny Toy Poodle
  3. Music: One of my favourite songs is "What This World Needs" by Casting Crowns.
  • Bonus Fact: I enjoy learning about Apologetics and Creation Science.

Seeing as I am new to this site and don't know anyone (yet), I thought it might be fun, by way of "introduction", to share three random facts about me and ask you to do the same...

Pick any three 'random' (fun) facts that tell us something about you. (obviously don't share anything private!)

3. Music: One of my favourite songs is "What This World Needs" by Casting Crowns.

Hello Romans. I am glad to see you here. I hope that you will hang around for awhile and bless us with your knowledge and understanding. I look forward to learning from you.

I am type 2 diabetic so no sweets for me. There was a time however that my favorite candy bar was Milky Way.
I guess my favorite food would be steak and baked potatoes.

Good for you. We are dog people as well. We love English bulldogs and Labrador retrievers. The problem with the English bulldogs are that they require a lot of maintence.

I am an old country boy from NA and as such love country music. Not the stuff playing today but Ray Price, Waylon Jennings, and that old era.

Good morning, Romans_8, from over here;

1. Food - I'm also type 2 diabetic and my favorite food is good mixed salad, light soups, steak and potatoes. When I could eat sweets I enjoyed Snickers, Jujyfruits and Payday.

2. Pets - My wife and I both had pets that were mixed "mutts" but mostly black terrier. This was years ago before we were married.

3. Music - This is one of my favorite subjects. My dad and mom listened to rock back in the 60s on AM radio - Beatles, Rolling Stones, Kinks, Petula Clark, etc...I was influenced by rock and grew up listening to progressive hard rock in the 70s - Yes, Grand Funk Railroad, Doobie Brothers, and it was at that time I started listening to Christian music - Godspell, Jesus Christ Superstar, Christian folk, into the 80s, 90s and today.

• Bonus Fact: I enjoy talking Jesus, Apologetics, church history and enjoy discussing and understanding the non-believers view of Jesus Christ.

Thank you, Romans_8!

Well now Three Things?

1. I love God and the things of God and totally enjoy growing in Christ and seeing each new day and what He has in store to engulf into my being.

2. Exposing or bringing to Light All Darkness and the wiles of our enemy the devil.
Exposing strong holds in people's thinking and watching them get set free.

3. Fishing and Boats of All Kinds. Well ok maybe not those let's party and zip back and forth across the lake boats.
Did I mention Boats or Fishing, because I have been told I was born with sea legs and enjoy fishing and boating way beyond the normal person.
Blessings
FCJ
e5721926d6adf7b6e64cf76d5ea34f34.jpg

Well now Three Things?

1. I love God and the things of God and totally enjoy growing in Christ and seeing each new day and what He has in store to engulf into my being.

2. Exposing or bringing to Light All Darkness and the wiles of our enemy the devil.
Exposing strong holds in people's thinking and watching them get set free.

3. Fishing and Boats of All Kinds. Well ok maybe not those let's party and zip back and forth across the lake boats.
Did I mention Boats or Fishing, because I have been told I was born with sea legs and enjoy fishing and boating way beyond the normal person.
Blessings
FCJ
View attachment 2814

lol! Funny cartoon, FC Jim! I like your #1 and#2.
God bless you, brother!

For me I love God the Father, God Thee Son, and God The Holy Spirit. God is my life and my everything. Teaching and sharing with others the truth of the Word, and the stories of the Word being manifested in the flesh (Jesus), are what blesses me very much, and seeing others set free from the burdens and yokes that have held them captive when they put the Word to work for them, and hearing the testimonies and praise reports about answered prayers are like candy.

Blessings

Hello, and welcome to the site. I am fairly new here too. So, three things:
1. Food: I have a yen for all things mocha. To me mocha is the perfect favour. Every year on my birthday I get a mocha butter icing cake from this Dutch bakery and manage to eat most of it all by myself.
2. Pets: I love animals. I've an African Grey parrot, fish, a cat for the mice (I live in the country), and two lovely dogs - a mini Schnauzer and a Scottie (completely opposite personality types).
3. Music: I was a musician and was trained in classical piano so I like and appreciate all types of music from primitive to heavy metal. The only genre of music I do not like at all is country western - I simply never developed a taste for it. My latest absolute favourite music is Progressive Psych Trance, which is chiefly electronic, but it seems to inspire me and get me moving like nothing else can. The best thing about psych trance is the absence of lyrics or words, which leaves my imagination to fill in the blanks and interpret the sound in my own personal ways. I do listen to rap and hip hop, but not anything with violent lyrics. The industrial heavy metal music I listen to is all Christian - yes, there is such a thing as Christian heavy metal.

Food...I love to cook and especially enjoying making various kinds of soup. And I like pop corn at home rather than at the movies. :)
Pets..grew up with dogs, but after we got our first cat when we were married a month (which was over 50 years ago) we have had cats. We outlived so many of them; but some lived to be in their late teens. Have a wonderful girl now.8 years old. Maine Coon Cat. And I also am an ardent birdwatcher but have no caged birds.
Music..enjoy many kinds from classical to contemporary. Fond of folk music (yes, it was great in the 1960's) and some old hymns (like "How Great Thou Art" and some contemporary praise songs, like Hillsong does. Have become interested in jazz in the last few years as my grandson is majoring in music at a university and plays percussion in the jazz band.

Here's one for you

O.P writes......

He uses Food, Pets and Music

So replies automatically follow suit with Food, Pets and music.....
Now let me ask you this......
How many things do you do or believe in your life ...... just because some one else does or the church has said it for generations or your family through the generations did?

Far too many times we find things in our life that sound good or look good but are simply things that we have simply followed suit on.

My Apologies Romans_8 for going off topic here but I saw this clear as day and wanted to bring it to light using your thread.

I hope this hits home with some.
Again Sir my Apologies
Blessings
FCJ

Here's one for you

O.P writes......

He uses Food, Pets and Music

So replies automatically follow suit with Food, Pets and music.....
How many things do you do or believe in your life ...... just because some one else does or the church has said it for generations or your family through the generations did?

Far too many times we find things in our life that sound good or look good but are simply things that we have simply followed suit on.

My Apologies Romans_8 for going off topic here but I saw this clear as day and wanted to bring it to light using your thread.

I hope this hits home with some.
Again Sir my Apologies
Blessings
FCJ

I have a boy's heart for enjoying my rare marble collection. I don't pay heed or worship marbles, but loved playing marbles as a boy. It taught children and adults team play, eye and hand coordination and is a very clean and pure past time game, even today. Google marble playing. If anyone wants to learn more about marbles I'm happy to share and will help you find your marbles. lol!

I believe in two things in my life. Jesus Christ does exist and truly believe He is always with me as I love being with Him 24/7. The second thing I believe in is coexisting with people, especially those who believe in and pray to Jesus.

Both of these are transparently my free will and am blessed to have a peace about it. Praise Him!

I have a boy's heart for enjoying my rare marble collection. I don't pay heed or worship marbles, but loved playing marbles as a boy. It taught children and adults team play, eye and hand coordination and is a very clean and pure past time game, even today. Google marble playing. If anyone wants to learn more about marbles I'm happy to share and will help you find your marbles. lol!

I believe in two things in my life. Jesus Christ does exist and truly believe He is always with me as I love being with Him 24/7. The second thing I believe in is coexisting with people, especially those who believe in and pray to Jesus.

Both of these are transparently my free will and am blessed to have a peace about it. Praise Him!
bobinfaith, I love it you shared the random, fun fact of your marble collection. I have a collection of old Nancy Drew books and didn't start collecting until after I was retired some years ago. And have enjoyed doing some research on how they were originally put together. So, that is another random, fun fact about me. :D

FCJ

Fish Catcher Jim you could be opening a can of worms with this. :)

I could go a few different ways with this. Our walk with the Lord is (or should be) a very personal/individual thing and yet, we are also called to be part of the Body of Christ and to 'love one another'. As you said, the specific church you attend, your family and various other circumstances can affect your experience. You don't have to spend much time with other Christians (or on Christian Forums) to discover there are a LOT of different 'perspectives' on what a genuine Christian should look like. Everyone has an opinion.

I grew up in a Christian home. I received a lot of 'conservative' mainline Christian teaching and didn't know any different until after I got married and started working in a ministry position. Then I had some experiences (long story) that completely changed my perspective and my life. My family (parents) were not happy because they did not understand what was happening and wanted me to continue in the accepted family tradition.... and keep doing things the way they had always done it.

Many people have strong opinions on the correct approach, conservative theology, spiritual life, holiness... etc. Many church goers continue to do "Church" the same way for years and years and are easily upset by relatively small changes. When does conservatism become legalism? We are meant to grow! If you do things out of habit, or think you have "made it", beware.

9 He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt: 10 “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed*n1thus: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’ 13 But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’ 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.” (Luke 18 ESV)

It is so easy for us to look at ourselves (in the mirror) one way and then look at others and VERY quickly form an opinion about where that person is at. I generally cut myself a bit more slack than the other guy, because I have good 'reasons' for my failings. :p

Lesson? Remain humble and follow the path (calling) the Lord has for you. And, be patient with others.

Food...I love to cook and especially enjoying making various kinds of soup. And I like pop corn at home rather than at the movies. :)
Pets..grew up with dogs, but after we got our first cat when we were married a month (which was over 50 years ago) we have had cats. We outlived so many of them; but some lived to be in their late teens. Have a wonderful girl now.8 years old. Maine Coon Cat. And I also am an ardent birdwatcher but have no caged birds.
Music..enjoy many kinds from classical to contemporary. Fond of folk music (yes, it was great in the 1960's) and some old hymns (like "How Great Thou Art" and some contemporary praise songs, like Hillsong does. Have become interested in jazz in the last few years as my grandson is majoring in music at a university and plays percussion in the jazz band.

Maine coon cats are said to be really big cats. Is that the case with yours????

3. Music - This is one of my favorite subjects. My dad and mom listened to rock back in the 60s on AM radio - Beatles, Rolling Stones, Kinks, Petula Clark, etc...I was influenced by rock and grew up listening to progressive hard rock in the 70s - Yes, Grand Funk Railroad, Doobie Brothers, and it was at that time I started listening to Christian music - Godspell, Jesus Christ Superstar, Christian folk, into the 80s, 90s and today.

Good to know there's another rocker on here. (y) Music, for me depends on my mood and what I'm doing. General listening (driving, etc), I listen to Christian music like Casting Crowns, Mercy Me, Big Daddy Weave, etc... Quite time/worship: Don Francisco. I have a home gym and generally listen to 80's rock while working out... but sometime listen to worship music while sweating it out. Yes, you can worship the Lord and pump iron at the same time. :cool:

Fish Catcher Jim you could be opening a can of worms with this. :)

I could go a few different ways with this. Our walk with the Lord is (or should be) a very personal/individual thing and yet, we are also called to be part of the Body of Christ and to 'love one another'. As you said, the specific church you attend, your family and various other circumstances can affect your experience. You don't have to spend much time with other Christians (or on Christian Forums) to discover there are a LOT of different 'perspectives' on what a genuine Christian should look like. Everyone has an opinion.

I grew up in a Christian home. I received a lot of 'conservative' mainline Christian teaching and didn't know any different until after I got married and started working in a ministry position. Then I had some experiences (long story) that completely changed my perspective and my life. My family (parents) were not happy because they did not understand what was happening and wanted me to continue in the accepted family tradition.... and keep doing things the way they had always done it.

Many people have strong opinions on the correct approach, conservative theology, spiritual life, holiness... etc. Many church goers continue to do "Church" the same way for years and years and are easily upset by relatively small changes. When does conservatism become legalism? We are meant to grow! If you do things out of habit, or think you have "made it", beware.

9 He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt: 10 “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed*n1thus: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’ 13 But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’ 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.” (Luke 18 ESV)

It is so easy for us to look at ourselves (in the mirror) one way and then look at others and VERY quickly form an opinion about where that person is at. I generally cut myself a bit more slack than the other guy, because I have good 'reasons' for my failings. :p

Lesson? Remain humble and follow the path (calling) the Lord has for you. And, be patient with others.

You asked.............." When does conservatism become legalism? "

I would say that happens when it changes the Word of God to match what one wants it to say instead of accepting the Word of God as it was written, for men as they are.

If you examine the Christian denominations, I think that you will see that they are made up of people who want to do or experience certain things which are not found in the Word of God. So those people tend to gravitate to the denomination of their choice which teaches what they want to hear. When that happens, those denomination will always come up with their set of rules and regulations which in effect is then "legalism".

In other words........forget what the Scriptures say about a certain subject. YOU must do what we say and believe as we believe. That is "legalism".

Examples:

Luke 16:23-24..........
“The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. In Hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’

Now, conservatism aside, the Word of God says that there is a place called Hell, and it is real and it is hot.

Now, did God say that???? Can God lie????

So then if we "choose" for what ever reason to believe that there is no hell, no fire and no torment we will then gravitate to a group (Denomination) which does not teach the reality of eternal hell.

We can then insert the idea of drinking alcohol. If we want to drink booze and still call ourselves "Christians", we will gravitate to a denomination which says drinking alcohol is OK. That in effect removes the guilt that would normally come from the truth of God's Word when correctly taught.

Now you can insert here the practice of giving Mary more honor than any other woman.
You can insert here that we must worship on Saturday instead of Sunday.
Some will say that you can not eat meat.
Some will teach that you can in fact have men marry men.

I hope you see what I am proposing to you and understand the ramifications of leaving the Word of God for the teachings of men.

1 Timothy 4:1-3..........
"Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth."

Now once again........Did God say it???...........Can God lie????

Good stuff my brother. I really appreciate your thought. Personally, I lost my marbles a long time ago and I have looking for them now for about 20 years or so.

When I was about 12 years old I came down with hepatitis and was in the hospital for 2 weeks and then in bed at home for another month. My grandfather bought me a model of a Navy battleship. Since I could not get out and walk around I spent the time putting that ship together. Now, 60 years later, I still do that. I have a collection of battleships with an information package of what it did in WW1 & WW2 attached so that my grandchildren can look, appreciate and learn.

You asked.............." When does conservatism become legalism? "

I would say that happens when it changes the Word of God to match what one wants it to say instead of accepting the Word of God as it was written, for men as they are.

Yes, I see what you are saying and agree with the examples given, however, I was kinda coming at it from another direction. Many years ago, I was in a ministry position where I had been "appointed". There were members of the congregation who had been there for thirty+ years. It was a small church. A number of the existing members were very "settled" and didn't seem to want to grow or learn... They were comfortable in their little clique and literally frowned on new people coming into the church... (visitors sometimes commented on this).

So, this is what I was thinking when I asked when conservatism (or tradition) becomes legalism.

People can, over time, become so settled and comfortable that they no longer want to grow or change, and get upset at anything new (to them), even if it is Biblical.

Yes, I see what you are saying and agree with the examples given, however, I was kinda coming at it from another direction. Many years ago, I was in a ministry position where I had been "appointed". There were members of the congregation who had been there for thirty+ years. It was a small church. A number of the existing members were very "settled" and didn't seem to want to grow or learn... They were comfortable in their little clique and literally frowned on new people coming into the church... (visitors sometimes commented on this).

So, this is what I was thinking when I asked when conservatism (or tradition) becomes legalism.

People can, over time, become so settled and comfortable that they no longer want to grow or change, and get upset at anything new (to them), even if it is Biblical.

You are correct. There are many, many churches where friendliness is forgotten. I for one do not believe that is a result of conservatism or legalism. It is however IMO a direct reflection of the Pastor of that church. If he does not expect and demand the members be friendly and respectful, they will not be.

The attitude you described is rampant and it begins at the top. IF the pastor is not compassionate and people friendly and motivated by the Holy Spirit, the church will digress into a shell and will in fact reject any change whether it be good or bad.

A real fact to consider in elderly people is that most of them know what they like and even if what they know is wrong, they will stick with it.

Example.......Everyone knows that there is a "Bigfoot" roaming through the woods. They know it because they saw it on TV or their grandfather told them so it most be a fact.
The fact is however that not one single skeleton has ever been found of a creature such as a Bigfoot. Not One!
So, are they buried 10 feet deep??? Who then dug the grave???
Do they eat the bones of their dead???

Another is "ghosts". People will not accept the Biblical teaching that there is no such thing as ghosts.

You can quote 2 Corth. 5:8.................
“We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord”:
and Phillipians 1:23....... “I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far” all you want but one who believes he saw a ghost will not be changed.
You see, he likes what he know even if what he knows is wrong.

Another thought is that Change is neither good or bad.........it is however inevitable.

Back