Tithe

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no New Testament teaching on the tithe except the mention of Abrahams tithe in the book of Hebrews. If you guys want to be drawn into a cursed system of tithing according to the law..then live under the whole law. Don't just pick and choose what part of the law you are going to keep...keep it all, then the blessing of the tithe, in the law will come upon you. If you want to tithe in Abrahams faith and in his example..then God will bless that without the curse of the law. But the New Covenant DOES NOT teach or promote the tithe... its a false system and teaching of mans religion and it is a product of those who are seeking to make merchandise of Gods people. Its a con job! Yes give as the new covenant describes in plain and simple words.

2Co 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Thank you Mitspa. I have never seen a single good argument for tithing as Christians. With that being said, I feel we should be as generous as we can be on all occasions unless God puts in on our heart to give more.

Does another version maybe include the 10% part?

Genesis 14:20 (KJV)
And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.

In Hebrew, the word "tithes" means a tenth.

Genesis 14:20 (ESV2011)
and blessed be God Most High, who has delivered your enemies into your hand!” And Abram gave him a tenth of everything.

Reactions: Sal
Genesis 14:20 (KJV)
And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.

In Hebrew, the word "tithes" means a tenth.

Genesis 14:20 (ESV2011)
and blessed be God Most High, who has delivered your enemies into your hand!” And Abram gave him a tenth of everything.
OOOOOOOOH! The word actually means tenth. Thank you.

I believe in the tithe and will continue with it for the rest of my life.
Well good but the tithe is not a New Testament instruction (nor can it be shown) and if done according to the Law, it is cursed with the rest of the law.

Well good but the tithe is not a New Testament instruction (nor can it be shown) and if done according to the Law, it is cursed with the rest of the law.
I'm content and happy in my understanding of it and i trust God with it.

Yeah, I think you might be on to something Watson. When I think about the New Testament, I can't think of anyone giving 10% off the top of my head. I can only think of them giving a lot more. Then I remember Jesus saying to that rich dude that thought he was upholding all the commandments, to give everything(more then 10%).

Again, I haven't fully studied this, so it's interesting to hear both sides of the argument.

Yeah, I think you might be on to something Watson. When I think about the New Testament, I can't think of anyone giving 10% off the top of my head. I can only think of them giving a lot more. Then I remember Jesus saying to that rich dude that thought he was upholding all the commandments, to give everything(more then 10%).

Again, I haven't fully studied this, so it's interesting to hear both sides of the argument.
Is it not amazing that its not taught once in the New Testament, but yet its probably the most often taught subject in what is called New Testament churches? Where are they teaching if from? Not the New Testament but the Old Testament law... Its false doctrine based upon religious greed, unless its taught as Abraham gave as an act of faith, according to the law of faith.

There is a difference between tithes and offerings and i think the part you're on about when Jesus told the rich man to give everything up and follow Him was when the man asked Him how he could inherit eternal life. Havn't got that scripture to hand at the mo. Though i think that is different again.

There is a difference between tithes and offerings and i think the part you're on about when Jesus told the rich man to give everything up and follow Him was when the man asked Him how he could inherit eternal life. Havn't got that scripture to hand at the mo. Though i think that is different again.

Mat 19:16-24 EMTV And behold, one came and said to Him, "Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?" (17) So He said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good except One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments." (18) He said to Him, "Which ones?" Jesus said, " 'You shall not murder,' 'You shall not commit adultery,' 'You shall not steal,' 'You shall not bear false witness,' (19) ' Honor your father and your mother,' and, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' " (20) The young man said to Him, "All these have I kept from my youth. What do I still lack?" (21) Jesus said to him, "If you desire to be perfect, go, sell your belongings and give to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me." (22) But when the young man heard the word, he went away grieved, for he had many possessions. (23) Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Assuredly I say to you, that with difficulty a rich man shall enter the kingdom of heaven. (24) And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

I think this passage is more about idolatry and the love of money rather than tithing or offerings.

I have no problem with people giving to their church. If no one gives then the church can't stay open. People freak when someone says they don't believe in tithing, but I think most people that don't believe in tithing still give plenty to their church. If I had a church I would happily give because I would want it to be financially secure so it can continue it's spreading of the gospel.

Mark 10........

The mans question was how to get eternal life, Jesus did not answer his question. Jesus said you lack one thing, go sell all you have and give it to the poor, then follow me.

He was sad about all that and left, not hearing what Jesus continued to say.

Jesus said how hard is it to trust in riches to Kingdom of God. Then Jesus said, it's hard for a rich man to enter into the Kingdom of God. In other words, Jesus was saying how hard is it for those that already have money to enter into God's system of doing things. Kingdom is not a place, it's actually a Greek female noun that means to rule with God.

Now Peter and the rest were still thinking on that original question. It concerned them saying, but Lord we left everything and followed you. Who can be saved?

Jesus still does not answer their question..... With man it's impossible, but with God all things are possible............. (What things??)

Then Peter interrupts and says, we left all, and followed you. None of them sold all they had, and none of them were broke. So they were concerned.

Jesus went onto say............. No man has "left" everything, houses, cars, fishing boats, so on for the kingdom and gospel sake and not received an 100 fold back now in this time. You also get eternal life by the way.

Jesus was not trying to make the rich young ruler broke, he was trying to bless him more than what he had and get on God's system.

for mans system can not give back 100 fold for investing into worldly things but with God that is not impossible to him.

So, since our high priest still accepts the tithe and putting the Kingdom first makes everything else added unto us.... And God said if you tithe, prove if I won't open up the windows of heaven and bless you, then it would be foolish to not tithe, and not doing so, just keeping what is Gods, makes you much like the rich young ruler who walked away from an amazing blessing.

I know we are smarter than that.

Blessings.

I used to pay more than 10% to the devil, so I'm getting a great deal tithing 10% to The Lord.
yep..those the Lord called children of the devil loved to be seen to tithe and to receive tithes... The law is not of faith and whatsoever is not of faith is sin...

Tithes has nothing to do with law.

Genesis 14:19-20 And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth: And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. "And he gave him tithes of all."

This was before law.

Tithes has nothing to do with law.

Genesis 14:19-20 And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth: And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. "And he gave him tithes of all."

This was before law.
That's a good point, Lyle. The tithe at that point was offering ten percent of property though wasn't it? Where is monetary tithe written?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back