Tithe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally i feel it such an honour to tithe. It's showing that i want to honour Him and put Him first and that includes in my 'finances'. I'm willing to give him 10% in tithe. Above all God owns everything even the money that comes to us and we are just giving back what belongs to Him (the tithe) so the 90% left is blessed. Many don't want to understand the tithe because it involves money. Shows where your heart really lies. How much do you trust God? You would then trust Him with your finances.

I also feel that it's an honor to give, and giving from my finances is also part of what I do to make sure I'm putting God first. For some people, giving financially can be part of what shows that their heart lies in the right place. Some people could potentially also be giving with their hearts in the wrong place, for example, if they felt it was a rule they were obliged to follow. Paul says that only God knows our true motives, not even ourselves. I agree that giving financially can be part of giving back what already belongs to God.

For most people, 10% is probably a pretty reasonable amount. It's a great deal, actually, compared with what the Hebrews had to pay, less than half.

How much do you trust God? You would then trust Him with your finances.

Say you know another Christian who decides to give 9.5%:

Is this person breaking God's command?
Are they not trusting God with their finances?
Is the 90.5% not yet "blessed?"

Let's look at it another way:

Say someone makes this argument to you:

As Christians, all we have belongs to God. Therefore, we need to sell all we have, and give all of the money to God.
Personally i feel it such an honour to give all. It's showing that i want to honour Him and put Him first and that includes in my 'finances'. I'm willing to give him everything. Above all God owns everything even the money that comes to us and we are just giving back what belongs to Him. Many don't want to understand giving away everything because it involves money. Shows where your heart really lies. How much do you trust God? You would then trust Him with your finances.

What sorts of questions would you ask this person?

What we do want to do: be generous, take care of the poor, support the ministry of the church, put others' needs before our own.
What we want to avoid: insisting that others follow "commands" that are really just things we personally find to be reasonable.

I also feel that it's an honor to give, and giving from my finances is also part of what I do to make sure I'm putting God first. For some people, giving financially can be part of what shows that their heart lies in the right place. Some people could potentially also be giving with their hearts in the wrong place, for example, if they felt it was a rule they were obliged to follow. Paul says that only God knows our true motives, not even ourselves. I agree that giving financially can be part of giving back what already belongs to God.

For most people, 10% is probably a pretty reasonable amount. It's a great deal, actually, compared with what the Hebrews had to pay, less than half.

Say you know another Christian who decides to give 9.5%:

Is this person breaking God's command?
Are they not trusting God with their finances?
Is the 90.5% not yet "blessed?"

Let's look at it another way:

Say someone makes this argument to you:

As Christians, all we have belongs to God. Therefore, we need to sell all we have, and give all of the money to God.
Personally i feel it such an honour to give all. It's showing that i want to honour Him and put Him first and that includes in my 'finances'. I'm willing to give him everything. Above all God owns everything even the money that comes to us and we are just giving back what belongs to Him. Many don't want to understand giving away everything because it involves money. Shows where your heart really lies. How much do you trust God? You would then trust Him with your finances.

What sorts of questions would you ask this person?

What we do want to do: be generous, take care of the poor, support the ministry of the church, put others' needs before our own.
What we want to avoid: insisting that others follow "commands" that are really just things we personally find to be reasonable.
I understand what your saying i really do. To me , no question , no doubt , i tithe simple as , that is my faith. I give offerings also , is it truly giving my all ? Only God knows. I know i am faithful, i give the tithe first and foremost , then there is sacrifice?

is it truly giving my all ? Only God knows.

Well that's more or less how I tend to look at it.

Allow me to offer a suggestion, perhaps even an insight:

In the Hebrew tithes, inheritance is an important concept. Their inheritance was Canaan, the promised land. When they gave, they offered the firstborn of their cattle, some of the first fruits of their crops, and then the three tithes, all of which came from cattle and crops: everything they gave to God came from the inheritance of Canaan.

You can also check out the scriptures already discussed to see who they gave to when they gave to God: the Levites, specifically because they had no inheritance in the land. Also, a share of the firstfruits and some of the tithes went to foreigners, orphans and widows: also those with no inheritance in Canaan.

So the tithes and required offerings came specifically from the inheritance of the land, and went specifically to those without an inheritance in the Land.

So how should I respond to that?
What's my "promised land?" In what inheritance do I share? And when I give back to God from that inheritance, to whom do I give?

Or to put it another way: let's say I agree that I need to tithe of my inheritance.

What does 10% of infinity look like?

And I think, that's kind of the point, when it come to giving back to God from what He's given us, a "%" value seems kind of arbitrary and meaningless.

Last edited:
Ir's according to our faith i believe. I don 't have all the answers. I belong to a church that preaches the Word of God. If you don't belong to a faith churh preaching the Word of God i can't help you. But if i can only help from what i believe and have worked for me.

Ir's according to our faith i believe. I don 't have all the answers. I belong to a church that preaches the Word of God. If you don't belong to a faith churh preaching the Word of God i can't help you. But if i can only help from what i believe and have worked for me.
So whatever the church says goes?

Oh, well I don't have all the answers, either, but I was kinda asking those questions rhetorically :) :

Ephesians 1:18-21
Titus 3:7
Galatians 3:29
Romans 8:15-17

It's like this: how do I give 10% of the mercy He's shown me? 10% of His compassion? of His love? of the hope of heaven? What's the "sacrifice" over the minimum 10%? See what I'm getting at? 10% doesn't mean a lot when you're trying to take it out from something that's infinite.

So to me, if I'm tithing from a spiritual inheritance, the whole point is not to "give 10%," but just to give.

Last edited:
Oh, well I don't have all the answers, either, but I was kinda asking those questions rhetorically :) :

I'll check these out when i 've a moment to do so . And comment on them . I have to tend to a few things at the mo.

It's like this: how do I give 10% of the mercy He's shown me? 10% of His compassion? of His love? of the hope of heaven? What's the "sacrifice" over the minimum 10%? See what I'm getting at? 10% doesn't mean a lot when you're trying to take it out from something that's infinite.

So to me, if I'm tithing from a spiritual inheritance, the whole point is not to "give 10%," but just to give.
I can't answer your doubts. I've checked the verses you've posted. I myself have posted quite a few verses perhaps on page 1 or 2 of this thread. It's down to the individual. Each to their own. I know i ' m happy with the tithe and wouldn't want it any other way. I've gone past questioning whether i give Him over 100 pound a month , i don't care, it doesn't bother me. Rather it go to Him than to anything else. Whatever, i am not here to convince but to voice what i do . I could think that 100 dollars can pay this or that but we always be paying this or that .never ending in this world. Which ypu rather give to God or the world?

I also feel that it's an honor to give, and giving from my finances is also part of what I do to make sure I'm putting God first.

I feel it's an honor that God allows me to give to him. I do so with 10% and offerings.

why make it complicated, and fuss about it?

Some don't honor God first, they consider their own things, their own bills first. I don't, God first before family, needs and bills.

It's God that Takes care of us, blesses us. God has never not come through, not one time.

Those that find problems with tithing and see it as difficult is because they are too much attached to their money. When Jesus was asked , how they could inherit eternal life, they were a good person but lacked one thing. When Jesus told him to sell what he had and give to the poor , was not because Jesus wanted them to be poor, but showed that he was too attached to his money. And God is to come first.

There is NO teaching in the new covenant in regards to the church giving a tithe, but we ARE TAUGHT over and over to be warned of those who would use covetousness and greed to deceive us and make merchandise of us. Its a con job to promote the religion of man for the most part, nothing more!

I feel it's an honor that God allows me to give to him. I do so with 10% and offerings.

why make it complicated, and fuss about it?

Some don't honor God first, they consider their own things, their own bills first. I don't, God first before family, needs and bills.

It's God that Takes care of us, blesses us. God has never not come through, not one time.

I think that's a great attitude. The "fuss" is in response to people who make "tithing" into a "law," and especially church leaders who say that church attendees are robbing from God if they're not giving 10% of their income directly to that church, and God will curse rather than bless them because of it.

Those that find problems with tithing and see it as difficult is because they are too much attached to their money. When Jesus was asked , how they could inherit eternal life, they were a good person but lacked one thing. When Jesus told him to sell what he had and give to the poor , was not because Jesus wanted them to be poor, but showed that he was too attached to his money. And God is to come first.

That's exactly why we should be teaching that generosity is important, and putting the things of God first is important. If someone personally decides that tithing is a way they can remember to be generous and put God first, that's fine, but not everyone will need such a reminder, or some may choose to remind themselves in other ways. I have a problem with tithing-taught-as-a-minimum-requirment, but I don't see it as "difficult," I observe that it has been used inappropriately by some church leaders to make church attendees feel like giving less than 10% of their income directly to that church will result in a curse from God.

I think that's a great attitude. The "fuss" is in response to people who make "tithing" into a "law," and especially church leaders who say that church attendees are robbing from God if they're not giving 10% of their income directly to that church, and God will curse rather than bless them because of it.

That's exactly why we should be teaching that generosity is important, and putting the things of God first is important. If someone personally decides that tithing is a way they can remember to be generous and put God first, that's fine, but not everyone will need such a reminder, or some may choose to remind themselves in other ways. I have a problem with tithing-taught-as-a-minimum-requirment, but I don't see it as "difficult," I observe that it has been used inappropriately by some church leaders to make church attendees feel like giving less than 10% of their income directly to that church will result in a curse from God.

That is my exact issue with tithing. It isn't that I don't want to support the church or that I love my money, it's that I cannot tolerate a pastor that says the bold part above. They know that the Bible doesn't support that but they want to get paid and keep the church going. I have never, in all the churches I've attended, heard that tithing isn't biblical. What I hear is the crap in bold above. That I'm a robber if I don't give 10%, even if I can barely even afford to eat.

I have no doubt that we get many blessings for being generous, and once I get to the point where I don't have 72 cents in my bank account then I will be a generous person. I'm pretty much right back in the position I was in when I was making minimum wage. I have had oatmeal for every meal for three days because I have no money and then some people would tell me that I might as well start pickpocketing people because that's what I'm doing to God.

Hunting I agree.

I did not tithe for the longest time when I came back to my home country. I even secured a great job professionally. And I never tithed a dime of that job.

Was I provided for? Yes. Completely. God remains ever so faithful even when we are faithless for He cannot deny Himself.

BUT and I say BUT, when I begin to tithe there was a grace on me. I dont know, things just worked out. Completely. Now is it hard? Yes it is. Sometimes I am tempted to think. Why am I giving all this money. Imagine if I had saved my monthly payments x12? I would have 12 times the amount of monies in a reserve account?

And then you think of loving God. And wanting Him to be not just Resident but President, of EVERY SINGLE area of your life. And that settles it. I want you Papa. Everyday.

The leaders or people who ask you to give your money with motives - God knows them. Even people who buy jets and Bentleys and live a lavish life. God knows them. But its not my place to judge. What I do know is my tithe is given to God through the Levites.

The rest is up to Him

Look folks if some can push past all the false teaching on tithing, which is most often presented according to the law as a work of the law...and enter into real faith as Abraham, not in legalistic counting but in honest portion presented to God as a tithe of faith, you will be blessed according to faith. But the law is cursed and everyone who gives according to the letter (written code) is curse no matter what you think you have or don't have, you are cursed! You might have money now, but your bag is full of holes and satan has your number!

Abraham tithed before the law, so this has NOTHING to do with THE LAW; that is just an excuse to justify your choice.

If you don't want to pay tithes, don't pay it; but don't use THE LAW as a scapegoat

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back