Tithe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tithe began in the Garden of Eden, when God reserved a portion (Tree of Life). Cane & Able gave of their 1st fruits; Abraham & Jacob did the same.

Genesis 14:20 "And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all."
Genesis 28:22 "And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee."

This all happened HUNDREDS OF YEARS BEFORE THE LAW.

1 Corinthians 9:9-14 "For it is written in the law of Moses, thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen? Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope. If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things? If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ. Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should LIVE OF THE GOSPEL."

2 Corinthians 11:8 "I robbed other churches, TAKING WAGES OF THEM, to do you service."

Matthew 10:10 "Nor scrip for your journey, neither two coats, neither shoes, nor yet staves: for the workman is WORTHY OF HIS MEAT."

Galatians 6:6 "Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things."

1 Timothy 5:17-18 "Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine. For the scripture saith, thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward."

Hebrews 7:2 "To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace;"
Hebrews 7:4 "Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils."

Not Andrew Womack quotes, but the Word of God.

Hey The New Testament is written to The Church of Jesus Christ..the OLD Testament is written to the Jews under the law...This is pretty basic stuff, but it seems that so few understand this? WHY? ..

2Co 3:14 but their minds were hardened: for until this very day at the reading of the old covenant the same veil remaineth, it not being revealed to them that it is done away in Christ.

Tithe began in the Garden of Eden, when God reserved a portion (Tree of Life). Cane & Able gave of their 1st fruits; Abraham & Jacob did the same.

Genesis 14:20 "And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all."
Genesis 28:22 "And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee."

This all happened HUNDREDS OF YEARS BEFORE THE LAW.

1 Corinthians 9:9-14 "For it is written in the law of Moses, thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen? Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope. If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things? If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ. Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should LIVE OF THE GOSPEL."

2 Corinthians 11:8 "I robbed other churches, TAKING WAGES OF THEM, to do you service."

Matthew 10:10 "Nor scrip for your journey, neither two coats, neither shoes, nor yet staves: for the workman is WORTHY OF HIS MEAT."

Galatians 6:6 "Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things."

1 Timothy 5:17-18 "Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine. For the scripture saith, thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward."

Hebrews 7:2 "To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace;"
Hebrews 7:4 "Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils."

Not Andrew Womack quotes, but the Word of God.
Its does not teach a "tithe" in Cain and Able..the issue is the Blood and The Lamb that atones for sin!
You have made no point with Abraham, in fact Abraham gave ONE tithe from that ONE victory! And no one has suggested that giving is not biblical according to the New Testament....But here is the standard...NOT THE LAW!

2Co 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Last edited:
Lets also consider that Paul said that He did not ask that the Corinthian church for ANY money! But took money that others had given, to help them. NOW REALLY, does that sound like Paul was teaching the "tithe"...:rolleyes:

2Co 11:7 Did I commit sin in humbling myself that you might be exalted, because I preached the gospel of God to you free of charge?
8 I robbed other churches, taking wages from them to minister to you.

THEN Paul describes the false teachers as those "who take" in contradiction to his own actions. Think about this folks...you guys are being deceived by much of this teaching on the tithe!

2Co 11:20 For you put up with it if one brings you into bondage, if one devours you, if one takes from you, if one exalts himself, if one strikes you on the face.

I don't think I've ever said anything even remotely similar to your example.

But you just said the below

1. I don't have to tithe based on what the New Testament teaches
2. Liking them isn't sinful (Hunting you say liking the same sex isnt a sin ok then - acting on it, though if you ask me it starts in the heart)
3. You can even marry an unbeliever and be fine
4. (Hunting this part said adultery)

all I did was agree that even if you sin, although it is not an ideal place to be, the worst is when you sin, or do the above four examples and still go ahead and use the bible to defend your sin. So if e.g. i am not tithing or i am committing adultery or whatever fine.

But to find scriptures that i contort to bless and enable my adultery or lack of tithing? now that's a crime.

Revelations 22.18-19

18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll.

19 And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll.

there is a penalty for altering God's word to fit your situation - whether you remove or add to it.

Revelations 22.18-19

18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll.

19 And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll.

there is a penalty for altering God's word to fit your situation - whether you remove or add to it.
That's exactly what has happened with those who are teaching the tithe are doing! There is NO SCRIPTURE, there is no command to tithe in the New Covenant ...NO WHERE! There is teaching on giving as one purposes in their own heart, not being made to give or being told they HAVE TO GIVE.... as Paul warned us about folks that teach such doctrine!

2Co 11:19 For you put up with fools gladly, since you yourselves are wise!
20 For you put up with it if one brings you into bondage, if one devours you, if one takes from you, if one exalts himself, if one strikes you on the face.

2Pe 2:3 ¶ And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you:

Ac 20:29 "For I know this, that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock.
30 "Also from among yourselves men will rise up, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after themselves.
31 "Therefore watch, and remember that for three years I did not cease to warn everyone night and day with tears.
32 "So now, brethren, I commend you to God and to the word of His grace, which is able to build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified.
33 "I have coveted no one's silver or gold or apparel.
34 "Yes, you yourselves know that these hands have provided for my necessities, and for those who were with me.
35 "I have shown you in every way, by laboring like this, that you must support the weak.
And remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'"

Paul DID NOT teach the tithe and he taught to give for two reasons? To support the gospel and to support the weak...not to build big crystal buildings and to pave the parking lot...:rolleyes:

Mark 12:17 "And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God THE THINGS THAT ARE GOD's. And they marvelled at him."

Mark 12:17 "And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God THE THINGS THAT ARE GOD's. And they marvelled at him."
Mt 17:24 ¶ When they had come to Capernaum, those who received the temple tax came to Peter and said, "Does your Teacher not pay the temple tax?"
25 He said, "Yes." And when he had come into the house, Jesus anticipated him, saying, "What do you think, Simon? From whom do the kings of the earth take customs or taxes, from their sons or from strangers?"
26 Peter said to Him, "From strangers." Jesus said to him, "Then the sons are free.

Ro 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.
15 For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, "Abba, Father."

My two cents are this, for what it's worth, and not directed towards anyone, but to all.

You're looking at it the wrong way and I hope you read to the end before judging what I'm saying.

#1 The Law (commands) is done away with. Besides, the Law states that tithes were to be given to the Levites - I don't know any. So much for that...

#2 Jesus summed up the Law as "love your neighbor as yourself".

#3 James (Jacob in the original) says:
James 2:15-16 (KJV)
If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be [ye] warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what [doth it] profit?

#4 Does God "need" your tithes? Nope...
Psalms 50:10 (KJV)
For every beast of the forest [is] mine, [and] the cattle upon a thousand hills.

Helping others, brothers or not, reconciliation to God is our job. So in Jesus' own words I say:

Luke 11:41 (KJV)
But rather give alms of such things as ye have; and, behold, all things are clean unto you.

And Paul says:
2 Corinthians 9:6-7 (KJV)
But this [I say], He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully. Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, [so let him give]; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

There is no LAW, so get over it. What God wants is you to be like Jesus in every way. Did Jesus hold anything back? You focus on money as your tithe, but you then should dedicate 2.4 hours a day to Him if you believe you must tithe. God gives to you, when someone is presented with someone in need, give him what they need, God will supply all YOUR needs.

Philippians 4:19-20 (KJV)
But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. Now unto God and our Father [be] glory for ever and ever. Amen.

So how much does God need from you? ZERO! He just wants you to love Him, seek Him and be guided by Him, moment by moment.

Psalms 37:23 (KJV)
The steps of a [good] man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.

Why should God give you anything more than what you have if all you do is horde it? Why should God give you the gift of healing if you don't even give of what God has already given to you? Why should God give you a job - any job - if you're not going to do your very best?

If you do ANYTHING in a ritualistic manner, you'll just end up like the Pharisees... God doesn't want rituals, He wants LIFE to flow through you to make a difference in this world! To show that you're indeed HIS and not phoney Pharisee copies. He wants you to ask the impossible so He can DO the impossible. Do you think God knew English would become the de facto language? If you do, then you won't be surprised by Jesus' own words:

Matthew 7:7-8 (KJV)
Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Just ASK, and He says it twice, which in the Hebrew is an emphatic statement.

Mitspa, the point was to "RENDER UNTO GOD, THE THINGS THAT ARE GODS".

Tax was not the point, to state the obvious.

Just as the point of Abraham paying tithes, WAS BEFORE THE LAW.

It's what the people of God have always done, and what we still do.

Matthew 6:24 "No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God AND MAMMON."
1 Timothy 6:10 "For the LOVE OF MONEY is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."

That's why the rich young ruler went away sad, because he refused to let go of HIS $.

Matthew 19:21-22 "Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions."

My two cents are this, for what it's worth, and not directed towards anyone, but to all.

You're looking at it the wrong way and I hope you read to the end before judging what I'm saying.

#1 The Law (commands) is done away with. Besides, the Law states that tithes were to be given to the Levites - I don't know any. So much for that...

#2 Jesus summed up the Law as "love your neighbor as yourself".

#3 James (Jacob in the original) says:
James 2:15-16 (KJV)
If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be [ye] warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what [doth it] profit?

#4 Does God "need" your tithes? Nope...
Psalms 50:10 (KJV)
For every beast of the forest [is] mine, [and] the cattle upon a thousand hills.

Helping others, brothers or not, reconciliation to God is our job. So in Jesus' own words I say:

Luke 11:41 (KJV)
But rather give alms of such things as ye have; and, behold, all things are clean unto you.

And Paul says:
2 Corinthians 9:6-7 (KJV)
But this [I say], He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully. Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, [so let him give]; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

There is no LAW, so get over it. What God wants is you to be like Jesus in every way. Did Jesus hold anything back? You focus on money as your tithe, but you then should dedicate 2.4 hours a day to Him if you believe you must tithe. God gives to you, when someone is presented with someone in need, give him what they need, God will supply all YOUR needs.

Philippians 4:19-20 (KJV)
But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. Now unto God and our Father [be] glory for ever and ever. Amen.

So how much does God need from you? ZERO! He just wants you to love Him, seek Him and be guided by Him, moment by moment.

Psalms 37:23 (KJV)
The steps of a [good] man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.

Why should God give you anything more than what you have if all you do is horde it? Why should God give you the gift of healing if you don't even give of what God has already given to you? Why should God give you a job - any job - if you're not going to do your very best?

If you do ANYTHING in a ritualistic manner, you'll just end up like the Pharisees... God doesn't want rituals, He wants LIFE to flow through you to make a difference in this world! To show that you're indeed HIS and not phoney Pharisee copies. He wants you to ask the impossible so He can DO the impossible. Do you think God knew English would become the de facto language? If you do, then you won't be surprised by Jesus' own words:

Matthew 7:7-8 (KJV)
Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Just ASK, and He says it twice, which in the Hebrew is an emphatic statement.
Good post!

But you just said the below

all I did was agree that even if you sin, although it is not an ideal place to be, the worst is when you sin, or do the above four examples and still go ahead and use the bible to defend your sin. So if e.g. i am not tithing or i am committing adultery or whatever fine.

But to find scriptures that i contort to bless and enable my adultery or lack of tithing? now that's a crime.

That's assuming that we, under grace, are commanded to tithe and I don't think we are.

Mitspa, the point was to "RENDER UNTO GOD, THE THINGS THAT ARE GODS".

Tax was not the point, to state the obvious.

Just as the point of Abraham paying tithes, WAS BEFORE THE LAW.

It's what the people of God have always done, and what we still do.

Matthew 6:24 "No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God AND MAMMON."
1 Timothy 6:10 "For the LOVE OF MONEY is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."

That's why the rich young ruler went away sad, because he refused to let go of HIS $.

Matthew 19:21-22 "Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions."
No this is CLEARLY not the doctrine that was taught by Paul, and this idea that we are subject to the tithe is just another attempt to bring believers in bondage to the law, for greed's sake in many cases. And its those under law that are held in bondage to sin not those in liberty.
And again Abraham gave ONE TITHE, ONE TIME!

Ro 7:7 ¶ What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, "You shall not covet."
8 But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire. For apart from the law sin was dead.

"the strength of sin is the law" the freedom from sin is being set free from the law!

It is recorded one time that Abraham tithed but it isn't recorded that Abraham tithed only oncc. In fact, that he did it at all is evidence that this is something that was customary.

It is recorded one time that Abraham tithed but it isn't recorded that Abraham tithed only oncc. In fact, that he did it at all is evidence that this is something that was customary.
Well be glad to look at any scripture that shows this was a "pattern" and where would he have tithe too? There was no religious system or temple, priest etc... Did he have more than this one recorded meeting with "The King of Righteousness"...?

Well be glad to look at any scripture that shows this was a "pattern" and where would he have tithe too? There was no religious system or temple, priest etc... Did he have more than this one recorded meeting with "The King of Righteousness"...?

Of course that is all an unknown, so no one can claim that it wasn't a normal behaviour for Abraham. Even Jacob tithed. It appears it is learned behaviour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back