Tithe

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 scripture account of Peter (who had the keys to the kingdom) preaching and telling people how to be saved. Should we believe that he never did or said these words again? Is it even logical?

Acts 2:38 "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."

Perhaps we don't need to be Born Again? After all, it's only mentioned once in John 3.

Last edited:
1 scripture account of Peter (who had the keys to the kingdom) preaching and telling people how to be saved. Should we believe that he never did or said these words again? Is it even logical?

Acts 2:38 "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."

Perhaps we don't need to be Born Again? After all, it's only mentioned once in John 3.
First, paying a tithe is NEVER demanded in the New Covenant! In fact the whole idea of being under the tithe is contrary to all sound doctrine. If you don't understand the term "born-again" and that it is confirmed throughout New Testament teaching? I doubt you really need to worry about the issue of the tithe...you have bigger issues!

How did He offer it to God? scripture please?

How? Actually the wording can be translated as a continuous tithe.

Genesis 28:20-22 (NLT)
20 Then Jacob made this vow: “If God will indeed be with me and protect me on this journey, and if he will provide me with food and clothing, 21 and if I return safely to my father’s home, then the Lord will certainly be my God. 22 And this memorial pillar I have set up will become a place for worshiping God, and I will present to God a tenth of everything he gives me.”

The Hebrew of verse 22 could be translated "I shall repeatedly tithe to you."

How? Actually the wording can be translated as a continuous tithe.

Genesis 28:20-22 (NLT)
20 Then Jacob made this vow: “If God will indeed be with me and protect me on this journey, and if he will provide me with food and clothing, 21 and if I return safely to my father’s home, then the Lord will certainly be my God. 22 And this memorial pillar I have set up will become a place for worshiping God, and I will present to God a tenth of everything he gives me.”

The Hebrew of verse 22 could be translated "I shall repeatedly tithe to you."
I believe that is a debatable translation, as you know. And I believe what Jacob is saying is that Just as Abraham gave a tithe to God in victory, Jacob was saying he would do the same, when God return him to that place. I don't see a continued tithe in this but the principle that a tithe is offered as Abraham did. See the tithe has to be offered in some way to some one that represents God and His priesthood. Unless God showed up as He did to Abraham, there was no one to offer it to, unless through an animal sacrifice? I do think this is a good scripture to defend the tithe of faith as an example given in Abraham. But that's not really my issue with what most are teaching. Most are demanding a tithe according to the law, which the New Testament never suggest.

Ge 28:18 And Jacob rose up early in the morning, and took the stone that he had put for his pillows, and set it up for a pillar, and poured oil upon the top of it.
19 And he called the name of that place Bethel: but the name of that city was called Luz at the first.
20 And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on,
21 So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God:
22 And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee

Bethel means "the house of God" Now at that time God had no "house"..so maybe Jacob was making a promise for the future temple? I admit however that these scriptures are a solid biblical witness to the tithe of FAITH.

Also remember that in antiquity, the Judeans were to tithe to Beit. HaMikdash (the Temple) but they were keeping the money for their own communities. The NT church was aware of this problem (before the Temple fell). In countries were persecution is rampant you will find that tithing isn't an issue. It is a joy to support the church! Shalom! :)

...if you don't understand the term "born-again" and that it is confirmed throughout New Testament teaching? I doubt you really need to worry about the issue of the tithe...you have bigger issues!

That made me laugh! Funny Mitspa.

Surely, you didn't take me serious; merely trying to move the trees to expose the forest.

Geez you guys you know,

The way this is going I might decide to stop tithing! After all it is a chunkful of money
going out of my coffers every month.
It don't hurt to really judge why one is doing something? From your other thread, it appears you are looking for a kickback of some sort, anyway? Its easy to see that you believe what "you" are giving to "God" you believe has some sort of string attached to it, in some way?

The Kingdom of God is not for sell or lease, men cannot purchase anything from God.

Isa 55:1 ¶ Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.
2 Wherefore do ye spend money for that which is not bread? and your labour for that which satisfieth not? hearken diligently unto me, and eat ye that which is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness.

CAUTION:

Matthew 23:15 "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves."

I suggest proceeding with caution before convincing others that tithing, or anything else for that matter, is not important or necessary. If you are wrong, there will certainly be consequences.

CAUTION:

Matthew 23:15 "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves."

I suggest proceeding with caution before convincing others that tithing, or anything else for that matter, is not important or necessary. If you are wrong, there will certainly be consequences.
Well its never wrong to deliver folks from the bondage of the law and mans religion! And the Pharisees and hypocrites are those that tithe in legalism, and they are the children of the devil. Not those who uphold the gospel that Paul taught!
I assure you that God is not upset when we judge the truth in an honest way! For we are always called to judge if we are walking in the truth... the tithe as it has been taught by many is a false a covetous doctrine that is clearly NOT the doctrine of the Apostles.

It don't hurt to really judge why one is doing something? From your other thread, it appears you are looking for a kickback of some sort, anyway? Its easy to see that you believe what "you" are giving to "God" you believe has some sort of string attached to it, in some way?

The Kingdom of God is not for sell or lease, men cannot purchase anything from God

Look Mitspa,

Lets just cut straight to the chase here. For me, (and I do say "for me") - now I have made up my mind. I am convicted on what path I must walk. Teaching my choir practice (once a week), or tithing(monthly) or spending time with God daily (about 2 hrs a day) - these are things I have committed to do to my God.

As legalistic as it may seem, I am also of the full understanding that to get anything, or to get anywhere theres gotta be sacrifice on your part. how else can a marriage, or business thrive without discipline (which can be misinterpreted for legalism).

Now whether I feel like it or not, when there is pain in my offering, when the needs seem too many. I promised my God.

And yes, I do expect something in return (which I already got by the way). I wont lie about that.

Simply put, if my bible says "see if He will not open the floodgates of heaven"? then I will plant and expect that.

(spiritually, and to a very good extent financially - His provision has been firm. His Presence in my life so undeniable I am constantly not only filled but drunk with love - HIS LOVE) I am living it :)

And I wont stop expecting more thank you very much Mr Mitspa!

PS. all that complicated bible in depth reading? Is not for me. I am simple, I take the bible at face value, like a child. yes I do read it, I am making my way through the whole of it now systematically although I must have read like 70-80% of it already. but what I see there is what I put LITERALLY to the test. I have seen that He never fails, bless Him.

You know what,

something just clicked in my mind.

Not everyone - their ministry is in money or business. For some of us it is.
And it would not fit if you were called to make money for His Kingdom and
for others, to not be able to handle it well. Not tithing is unacceptable for us
who's calling is in the financial sector.

I guess this is harder on me because I have studied money for years and I
am a business woman.

kind of makes sense.

Geez you guys you know,

The way this is going I might decide to stop tithing! After all it is a chunkful of money
going out of my coffers every month.
I'd say that's unwise. I believe we have a moral obligation to keep our churches up and running. Also, we are told to be generous. I would have no problem giving to a good church and if I went there I would definitely give.

Look Mitspa,

Lets just cut straight to the chase here. For me, (and I do say "for me") - now I have made up my mind. I am convicted on what path I must walk. Teaching my choir practice (once a week), or tithing(monthly) or spending time with God daily (about 2 hrs a day) - these are things I have committed to do to my God.

As legalistic as it may seem, I am also of the full understanding that to get anything, or to get anywhere theres gotta be sacrifice on your part. how else can a marriage, or business thrive without discipline (which can be misinterpreted for legalism).

Now whether I feel like it or not, when there is pain in my offering, when the needs seem too many. I promised my God.

And yes, I do expect something in return (which I already got by the way). I wont lie about that.

Simply put, if my bible says "see if He will not open the floodgates of heaven"? then I will plant and expect that.

(spiritually, and to a very good extent financially - His provision has been firm. His Presence in my life so undeniable I am constantly not only filled but drunk with love - HIS LOVE) I am living it :)

And I wont stop expecting more thank you very much Mr Mitspa!

PS. all that complicated bible in depth reading? Is not for me. I am simple, I take the bible at face value, like a child. yes I do read it, I am making my way through the whole of it now systematically although I must have read like 70-80% of it already. but what I see there is what I put LITERALLY to the test. I have seen that He never fails, bless Him.
Yes its very simple...the law is not of faith and if some are being brought under the tithe of the law ( and they clearly are), they being brought under the curse of the law...no matter how much they give they are cursed, unless they keep ALL THE LAW! simple enough?

You know what,

something just clicked in my mind.

Not everyone - their ministry is in money or business. For some of us it is.
And it would not fit if you were called to make money for His Kingdom and
for others, to not be able to handle it well. Not tithing is unacceptable for us
who's calling is in the financial sector.

I guess this is harder on me because I have studied money for years and I
am a business woman.

kind of makes sense.
1Ti 6:9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back