Tithing - A Systematic Study

In a bit of defense for the need of a 'true' evangelist' (i.e. not the TV kind), I would say looking over Christendom today, the Christian needs the Gospel too, (not just the unsaved) because:

1. The mixture of God's grace + man's doing is very prevalent in today's Churches...https://outreachmagazine.com/resour...s-believe-works-are-the-key-to-salvation.html

2. Merit is so inbred into our fallen nature, a constant reminder of the Gospel is needful. (IMHO)

CN, in a manner of speaking, I understand what you're saying. So, dare I take your thoughts on this and apply them to that particular membership in that church organization, Jason may have picked up on what you've said, or something similar, and deemed it necessary to invite that guy. Hmm.

Well, as I had said before, I didn't want to leap to any conclusions. The purpose for that guy's visit may indeed be quite other than anything that occurred to me. Perhaps he will answer my questions, perhaps not. If not, then there's something odd about it all, or something hidden.

MM

The author of Hebrews in ch.7 takes up the case where Abraham paid tithes to Melchizedek (a type of Christ) but mainly to show the superiority of the Priesthood of Christ over the Levitical priesthood...

(Heb 7:9) And, so to speak, through Abraham even Levi, who received tithes, paid tithes,
(Heb 7:10) for he was still in the loins of his father when Melchizedek met him.
(Heb 7:11) Now if perfection was through the Levitical priesthood (for on the basis of it the people received the Law), what further need was there for another priest to arise according to the order of Melchizedek, and not be designated according to the order of Aaron?

To go here to prove 'the tithe' predates the law would be futile as Hebrews shows that the whole Levitical system has been surpassed by a better Priesthood and Covenant.

Unfortunately, the falsehood of "The Tithe Predates the Law" is the most common go-to for most, if not all, false teachers who vomit the tithe requirement upon their followers and adherents these days.

Not to beat a dead horse, but what's liberating about the TRUTH concerning the tithe in relation to modern giving, is that...there is no correlation, as you stated in other words, CN. The tithe required from producing lands and livestock wasn't a matter of giving freely. It was required. The Lord left no wiggle room for His command to His chosen people who were under the Law and its curses, and the juxtaposition of time-shift backward to Abraham is a despicable practice in teaching. Those who go there mask (by way of silence) the entire portrait of the greatness in the imagery of Abraham's conquest to rescue his nephew AND what came from his meeting with Melchizedek as it comparatively referenced Messiah many centuries later.

So, there is wonderful release from bondage for those who had allowed themselves to be enslaved by the false teachings about the tithe. Realistically, the people themselves shoulder a great deal of the blame because of their own laziness for studying the scriptures as they should. False teachers are bad enough, and will be dealt with my their Creator, but the audience people have no excuses.

MM

Back