To Homeschool Or Not

We are HS our eldest child - we are putting him through the ACE curriculum.. my wife and I are both saved but I am concerned as she says it is too 'God focused' and she tells our son not to worry to much about the scripture verses that much as they are 'not that important' and he has too many to remember.. she has told me (in front of the children) she thinks it is to much and she does not like it, she tells me she wants the children to have all religions and ideas taught so they can 'make up their own mind'

I have said that the bible teaches us we are to teach our children about God as it says in Deut 6 as well as many other places.. she says I am 'too Christian' ..her attitudes concerns me - but on the flip side - our son was being bullied did not get on with school and is doing much better at home and is more engaged and flourishing.. he has interaction with swimming twice a week, football and a guitar lesson as well as church and a youth group so he has plenty of interaction.

Overall I would recommend HS over the institution.. children are our responsability in the Lord and sending them off to school entrusts them to the enemy for the most part.. however that said .. we all have to find our own way with God.

We are HS our eldest child - we are putting him through the ACE curriculum.. my wife and I are both saved but I am concerned as she says it is too 'God focused' and she tells our son not to worry to much about the scripture verses that much as they are 'not that important' and he has too many to remember.. she has told me (in front of the children) she thinks it is to much and she does not like it, she tells me she wants the children to have all religions and ideas taught so they can 'make up their own mind'

I have said that the bible teaches us we are to teach our children about God as it says in Deut 6 as well as many other places.. she says I am 'too Christian' ..her attitudes concerns me - but on the flip side - our son was being bullied did not get on with school and is doing much better at home and is more engaged and flourishing.. he has interaction with swimming twice a week, football and a guitar lesson as well as church and a youth group so he has plenty of interaction.

Overall I would recommend HS over the institution.. children are our responsability in the Lord and sending them off to school entrusts them to the enemy for the most part.. however that said .. we all have to find our own way with God.

Let me tell you that you are doing an amazing thing for your child!

Our church has a school from early kindergarten years to the end of high school, readying the student for college or university---all on the ACE curriculum. I worked for a time as a monitor in the school and I think it is an excellent curriculum! We have turned out young adults who have gone on to university and college programs and have done wonderfully. We even have had our graduates be accepted in university programs that have limited enrolment! We have also had employers send letters to the school commending them on a job well done, as these young adults go out into the world of employment and higher learning with a work ethic that is noticeably excellent.

I think that has to do with the ACE program, and also the parents and the staff, but also the students themselves, who have learned about self-discipline and co-operation, and self-respect and respect of others--not to mention authority. They come away with a great volume of the word committed to memory, and the ability to self-motivate. If I had the availability of this curriculum for my children when they were young, I'd have used it, for sure!

I find that the children in our school are amazing! That their little minds can actually memorize pretty much a whole chapter or a psalm in one month over many years is an incredible eat, and just goes to show us the truth---that young minds are like sweet little sponges!

Good job!

Proverbs 22:6
Direct your children onto the right path,
and when they are older, they will not leave it.

Deuteronomy 6:7
7 Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up.

Are you homeschooling your son through a Christian co-op, or is it secular? If it is secular, I'd say don't be surprised by this response and if it concerns you, perhaps seek out a new co-op. If it IS a Christian co-op, speak with the director and let him/her know that this happened.

I could tell you stories regarding the homeschooling co-op circle of teachers, both as a student and as a substitute.

Are you homeschooling your son through a Christian co-op, or is it secular? If it is secular, I'd say don't be surprised by this response and if it concerns you, perhaps seek out a new co-op. If it IS a Christian co-op, speak with the director and let him/her know that this happened.

I could tell you stories regarding the homeschooling co-op circle of teachers, both as a student and as a substitute.
My wife is HS him at home.. there is no 'school' or 'co-op' ... we know of other home schoolers but they are at different levels and some are doing a different curriculum, sonlight being one.. some have made up their own or are using materials found over the internet etc.. my wife has been a believer for about 8 years. but sometimes we are worlds apart as in my examples above..

My wife is HS him at home.. there is no 'school' or 'co-op' ... we know of other home schoolers but they are at different levels and some are doing a different curriculum, sonlight being one.. some have made up their own or are using materials found over the internet etc.. my wife has been a believer for about 8 years. but sometimes we are worlds apart as in my examples above..

My mistake, you did say "she" meaning your wife -- not some third-party.

Did you both agree on a curriculum and look over them together?

I liked it. Our oldest two have changed so much since we stopped homeschooling. I'm just thinking at this point, pulling them back out when they don't want to might backfire.

I would really commit this decision to prayer according to proverbs 16:3. Roll your works (plans) unto the Lord (commit and trust them wholly to Him; He will cause your thoughts to become agreeable to His will, and) so shall your plans be established and succeed.

If i had the opportunity to home school my children again I would jump at it...to much stuff in the secular school system that is questionable.
I'll be praying with you!

I am sure you have done this, but it may be a good idea for you two to have a discussion apart from the kids, regarding the curriculum. Because it's not good for them to hear her say things like that. A house divided against itself will not stand. I do not think that you are not to much into God (does not sound like it anyway). Most women complain that their husbands are not godly enough. And i believe that the man is the head of the household.

Keep thanking God for filling her with godly wisdom, and ask the Lord for scriptures to pray over her. It really helps.
Many blessings of peace and joy be yours in abundance! I'll be praying too.

I am definitely worried about what is being taught. My son told me his teacher said some things that I don't like. It seemed to be a direct affront to all parents... He told the kids something along the lines of "if your parents give you too much praise, they're lying to you." I don't get that. Why tell kids their parents are liars?

I don't want them learning evolution is the correct theory or any of the other garbage they teach in school.

I just don't want the kids to resent me. I think the two oldest, especially the oldest, would really resent me.
I didn't read the rest of this yet, but don't let the spirit talk you out of bringing them home; there is no Scriptural model for raising and training up children to love and know and serve the Lord by sending them off to have a secular education with secular teachers.
If we water our trees with poison water, what is the result? Warped trees. PUT on good water, get good trees. Learning is no different; put in lies and garbage and get a warped soul, put in the Truth and get a good soul.
Yes our children must be salt and light, but first they must stand on the Truth and be fully trained up before they can really do that.
Plus, we as mature Believers don't go watch the news and believe the newscasters spin on stuff and watch trash and go hang out at bars and other inappropriate places, let alone 5 days a week for 8 hours a day...why force or let our children do it?
The biblical model is train up our children in the Lord and we will end up with what God promised. Ship them off itno the world, what can we expect? We Must pursue God's way. He will provide everything for it.
Don't give one inch to fear, listen to the Holy Spirit.

Concerning your wife developing a total respect and insistence on the Scriptures, pray 2 Timothy 2 v 26, 27 foR her, that the Lord would grant her repentance to the acknowledging of the Truth, that she would see that the Word of God is the only Truth and that God would cause her to recover herself out of the deception of the devil that has caused to think otherwise up to now. loose a spirit of the Lord's revelation to bring that to her and bind the devil who has tried to deceive her over the absolute Truth of the Word of God. (How can she even say she's saved and that that part of the Word is true but the rest is up for opinion? Right? It's either all true or none of its true and since Jesus Himself IS the Word of God, to say anyone it is untrue is to call Jesus Himself and His Words untrue, as well she would not be following Jesus - if we are to be His disciples then we must obey Him and do what He SAYS; I don't recall the Scripture that says teach your children to believe whatever they want...conversely, they believe the Word only)...

My Grandkids were both Homeschooled til they were in their Junior year of High School. Both my Grandkids have graduated High School and my Granddaughter finished at the top of her class. She is now going to automotive school and will graduate this Sept. My grandson is in the NAVY and is doing fantastic. Praise The Lord!! I believe in children being homeschooled as long as someone is always there to make sure that they are doing the work that needs to be done.

Back