Tongues And Prophecy - Benefit For Whom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The two most hotly debated things in the Church today is the "speaking in tongues as the initial evidence of being Baptized in the Holy Spirit", and "women's role in the Church today.." would you like to jump from this frying pan to another? :)

Why not? Both are Biblical and as long as the conversation is friendly and Biblically factual, I have no problem with it.

God has warned the churches at Thyatira regardless of their works because they had some inqiuity that cannot be overlooked.

Judging is to be done when we are to correct one another in Christ's love and not condemn one another as if they were never saved as per example.

It is that experience of another infilling that I judged as not of Him and you need to reconsider that experience in light of scripture because there really is only one drink of the One Spirit ( 1 Corinthians 12:13 ) and thus we are complete in Christ ( Colossians 2:5-10 ) as we are to guard against seducing spirits that would lead us to testify otherwise. 2 Corinthians 11:3-4

God has been working in your life, but that second infilling was not of Him and had nothing to do with Him working in your life. That is the point of rebuke so that you may be sound in the faith.

Really TJ? You thought a rebuke was necessary to Gene's testimony?

Why not? Both are Biblical and as long as the conversation is friendly and Biblically factual, I have no problem with it.

1Co 14:34= Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

On the day of pentecost there were 120 people, including women, even Mary the mother of Jesus who all spoke in tongues on that day.
The Church is wherever you have 2 or 3 gathered together, so they were in a Church setting when every one spoke in tongues declaring the wonderful works of God (Gospel)

Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Then the Apostle Paul writes to the Church in Rome and tells them to give assistance to "Phebe" a sister in the Lord who was a Deacon in the Church at "Cenchrea". Paul told them to give her whatever she needs.

We also find "Priscilla" (a women) and "Aquila" as helpers in Christ.

Rom 16:3= Greet Priscilla and Aquila my helpers in Christ Jesus:
Rom 16:4= Who have for my life laid down their own necks: unto whom not only I give thanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles.

Rom 16:12= Salute Tryphena and Tryphosa, who labour in the Lord. Salute the beloved Persis, which laboured much in the Lord.

These three were also "women" who labored in the Lord. To have "labored" in the Lord, they had to have some kind of "ministry?

Last edited:

1Co 14:34= Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

On the day of pentecost there were 120 people, including women, even Mary the mother of Jesus who all spoke in tongues on that day.
The Church is wherever you have 2 or 3 gathered together, so they were in a Church setting when every one spoke in tongues declaring the wonderful works of God (Gospel)

Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Then the Apostle Paul writes to the Church in Rome and tells them to give assistance to "Phebe" a sister in the Lord who was a Deacon in the Church at "Cenchrea". Paul told them to give her whatever she needs.

We also find "Priscilla" (a women) and "Aquila" as helpers in Christ.

Rom 16:3= Greet Priscilla and Aquila my helpers in Christ Jesus:
Rom 16:4= Who have for my life laid down their own necks: unto whom not only I give thanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles.

Rom 16:12= Salute Tryphena and Tryphosa, who labour in the Lord. Salute the beloved Persis, which laboured much in the Lord.

These three were also "women" who labored in the Lord. To have "labored" in the Lord, they had to have some kind of "ministry?

My dear brother, I know all that and I understand that but none of those verse remove what Paul said in 1 Corth. 14:34.

You are posting Scripture to validate what does not in fact exist. You are working to show me that women can have a ministry in the church AN I AGREE WITH YOU!

But that does not negate the words in 1 Corth. 14:34.............
"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law."

All one has to do is to read the whole 14th chapter and it is clear that Paul is giving direction on "tongues".

Really TJ? You thought a rebuke was necessary to Gene's testimony?

My gentle corrections of his testimony of there being another infilling and giving that credit for God working in His life was being overlooked, and so I used the word "rebuke" to point that out as he was going against scripture & our faith in Jesus Christ.

The "revuke" doesn't need to be repeated again. The point was made.

I do not think anyone will believe that they need another infilling for God to work in their lives like those that think they need tongues without interpretation by another infilling for the Holy Spirit to make sure that God knows everything they need in case they don't know what to pray, but then again, one can never know.

I mean, if believers out there think an infilling is needed to obtain tongues without interpretation so that the Holy Spirit can make sure God knows what they need in case they don't, then they may even believe that they need another infilling for God to work in their lives.

Then there is another infilling for ordaining able ministers.

Then there is an infilling for healing.

Then there is an infilling that keeps on coming as if they are not new wineskin able to hold the new wine.

Matthew 9:17 Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.

Our always being filled with the Spirit is the testimony that we are saved by faith in Jesus Christ.

Luke 11:9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. 10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. 11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? 12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? 13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

That was Jesus way of saying that after a believer has received the promise of the Spirit by knocking at the door of Jesus Christ, he will not ask for that promise again les they make the Father look like He had given something else the first time, and that would be a false witness if they did that.

We are complete in Christ Colossians 2:5-10 and this is why we do not need another infilling les we preach another spirit or another Jesus to receive 2 Corinthians 11:3-4 Thus departing from faith in giving heed to seducing spirits & doctrines of devils.

God will prune the fruits of those that hear Him so that they may bear more fruit and be found abiding in Him when He comes.

John 15:1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. 2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. 3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. 4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. 5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. 6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

So there was just cause to use the word "rebuke" to bring attention to that testimony that was supporting apostasy so that he may be sound in the faith and be ready for the Bridegroom before He comes. I do hope He will cause the increase as it is on Him to minister. I need not "argue" the point of rebuke to him any longer, and the Lord will help me to do that too.

My gentle corrections of his testimony of there being another infilling and giving that credit for God working in His life was being overlooked, and so I used the word "rebuke" to point that out as he was going against scripture & our faith in Jesus Christ.

The "revuke" doesn't need to be repeated again. The point was made.

I do not think anyone will believe that they need another infilling for God to work in their lives like those that think they need tongues without interpretation by another infilling for the Holy Spirit to make sure that God knows everything they need in case they don't know what to pray, but then again, one can never know.

I mean, if believers out there think an infilling is needed to obtain tongues without interpretation so that the Holy Spirit can make sure God knows what they need in case they don't, then they may even believe that they need another infilling for God to work in their lives.

Then there is an infilling that keeps on coming as if they are not new wineskin able to hold the new wine.

Matthew 9:17 Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.

Our always being filled with the Spirit is the testimony that we are saved by faith in Jesus Christ.

Luke 11:9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. 10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. 11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? 12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? 13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

That was Jesus way of saying that after a believer has received the promise of the Spirit by knocking at the door of Jesus Christ, he will not ask for that promise again les they make the Father look like He had given something else the first time, and that would be a false witness if they did that.

We are complete in Christ Colossians 2:5-10 and this is why we do not need another infilling les we preach another spirit or another Jesus to receive 2 Corinthians 11:3-4 Thus departing from faith in giving heed to seducing spirits & doctrines of devils.

God will prune the fruits of those that hear Him so that they may bear more fruit and be found abiding in Him when He comes.

John 15:1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. 2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. 3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. 4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. 5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. 6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

So there was just cause to use the word "rebuke" to bring attention to that testimony that was supporting apostasy so that he may be sound in the faith and be ready for the Bridegroom before He comes. I do hope He will cause the increase as it is on Him to minister. I need not "argue" the point of rebuke to him any longer, and the Lord will help me to do that too.

But TJ......do you not see and grasp that you are coming at this from a position of "Holier than thou" attitude???

No one is totally right and we all must give understanding to our fellow brother/sister without the need of you giving us a rebuke or correction. I have seen from your posts that you are very competent in Bible knowledge and understanding, but that in no way gives you the right to correct or rebuke others!!! IMHO!

What are you credentials so as to be able to do such a thing. Instead of rebuking others and correcting them, would it not be better received by us if you simply approached a situation with something like........."WELL IN MY OPINION". or...."MY THINKING ON THIS IS".

I know that I myself will react better to that kind of attitude better than I do an "Open Rebuke".

Personally I have always been afraid to rebuke others as I am such a mess myself I never felt comfortable correcting others!!!

My dear brother, I know all that and I understand that but none of those verse remove what Paul said in 1 Corth. 14:34.

You are posting Scripture to validate what does not in fact exist. You are working to show me that women can have a ministry in the church AN I AGREE WITH YOU!

But that does not negate the words in 1 Corth. 14:34.............
"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law."

All one has to do is to read the whole 14th chapter and it is clear that Paul is giving direction on "tongues".

1Co 14:35= And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

I don't know if you know this, but in the Greek there is no direct word that corresponds to the word "wife" or "husband" as they are both translated "man" and "woman" It was up to the translators based on the context of the verses to come as close as possible to the meaning in english. We know Paul was talking about "wives" because he says that "if they learn anything let them ask their husbands at home"
So, Paul was not talking about all women, only wives in this respect. He did not want the wives to ask questions to their husbands while in Church, but wait until they got home, so as not to disturb the Church service.

Last edited:
1Co 14:35= And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

I don't know if you know this, but in the Greek there is no direct word that corresponds to the word "wife" or "husband" as they are both translated "man" and "woman" It was up to the translators based on the context of the verses to come as close as possible to the meaning in english. We know Paul was talking about "wives" because he says that "if they learn anything let them ask their husbands at home"
So, Paul was not talking about all women, only wives in this respect. He did not want the wives to ask questions to their husbands while in Church, but wait until they got home, so as not to disturb the Church service.

Yes I knew that but it does not speak to the question at hand. Which ever they be, Paul clearly said......
" Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak".

He is directing the WOMEN keep silent in church".

My contention because of 1 Cort, 11:5 where he tells women to participate in public, he then has to be referring to speaking in tongues in church. Simple process of elimination to me.

I really do not know why anyone has to work so hard to spiritualize away something printed right there in front of you.

Yes I knew that but it does not speak to the question at hand. Which ever they be, Paul clearly said......
" Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak".

He is directing the WOMEN keep silent in church".

My contention because of 1 Cort, 11:5 where he tells women to participate in public, he then has to be referring to speaking in tongues in church. Simple process of elimination to me.

I really do not know why anyone has to work so hard to spiritualize away something printed right there in front of you.

If we take that position that women are not allowed to speak in Church, then there should never found any where in scripture where women did speak. We know this is not true as there have been many women in the Church that spoke, prophesied and also taught. This is why on my first post I brought some of these scripture up so as to lay the groundwork for what we are talking about. All the women on the day of pentecost spoke in tongues, it was not just the men, and they were in Church. Man is only head of the women (wife) in a marriage position, not in the Church, because in Christ there is no male or female. In the Church, Christ is head of the women in the same way Christ is the head of man.

Gal 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
Gal 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

As far as God is concerned he only sees sons of God, not male, female.

If we take that position that women are not allowed to speak in Church, then there should never found any where in scripture where women did speak. We know this is not true as there have been many women in the Church that spoke, prophesied and also taught. This is why on my first post I brought some of these scripture up so as to lay the groundwork for what we are talking about. All the women on the day of pentecost spoke in tongues, it was not just the men, and they were in Church. Man is only head of the women (wife) in a marriage position, not in the Church, because in Christ there is no male or female. In the Church, Christ is head of the women in the same way Christ is the head of man.

Gal 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
Gal 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

NO, NO No. You are missing the point!! You are trying to explain away something that can not be explained away. Look at what you just said.............".As far as God is concerned he only sees sons of God, not male, female".
Do you realize how far out on a limb you are with that kind of thinking just to validate women being able to talk in tongues in church?????

WE, Me am not taking a position of anything. That is the problem, There is no position to take.

It is written in the Word of God and we either ACCEPT it or REJECT it my brother.

As I posted for you already, Paul told women to speak and pray publically and we have the record of it in the Scriptures.

BUT when it come to 1 Corth. 14:34, where he has spent a whole chapter on tongues, he then says...."AND you women, do not speak in church". The only thing it can mean is that women are NOT TO SPEAK IN TONGUES IN CHURCH.

However, when one attends a tongue speaking church, it is by far the women who do the tongue speaking.

NO, NO No. You are missing the point!! You are trying to explain away something that can not be explained away. Look at what you just said.............".As far as God is concerned he only sees sons of God, not male, female".
Do you realize how far out on a limb you are with that kind of thinking just to validate women being able to talk in tongues in church?????

WE, Me am not taking a position of anything. That is the problem, There is no position to take.

It is written in the Word of God and we either ACCEPT it or REJECT it my brother.

As I posted for you already, Paul told women to speak and pray publically and we have the record of it in the Scriptures.

BUT when it come to 1 Corth. 14:34, where he has spent a whole chapter on tongues, he then says...."AND you women, do not speak in church". The only thing it can mean is that women are NOT TO SPEAK IN TONGUES IN CHURCH.

However, when one attends a tongue speaking church, it is by far the women who do the tongue speaking.

Did women ever speak in the New Testament Church? Did they not teach, pray, or prophesy? We can not take one scripture, and come a conclusion, it takes many to set a standard. Women did all the same things as men did in the New Testament Church. Scriptures bring liberty and freedom not bondage to a child of God.

1Co 11:8 For man did not come from woman, but woman from man;
1Co 11:9 neither was man created for woman, but woman for man.
1Co 11:10 It is for this reason that a woman ought to have authority over her own head, because of the angels.
1Co 11:11 Nevertheless, in the Lord woman is not independent of man, nor is man independent of woman.
1Co 11:12 For as woman came from man, so also man is born of woman. But everything comes from God.

Notice: there is no inequality between men or woman they are the same. The only time man is head of women is in marriage.
Even though man was created first, yet man can not exist without women, because he is born from her.

Women can speak in tongues. But I don't think anyone knows what Paul meant. I mean he had a teacher who was a woman right? I can't remember that scripture.

If we take that position that women are not allowed to speak in Church, then there should never found any where in scripture where women did speak. We know this is not true as there have been many women in the Church that spoke, prophesied and also taught. This is why on my first post I brought some of these scripture up so as to lay the groundwork for what we are talking about. All the women on the day of Pentecost spoke in tongues, it was not just the men, and they were in Church. Man is only head of the women (wife) in a marriage position, not in the Church, because in Christ there is no male or female. In the Church, Christ is head of the women in the same way Christ is the head of man.

However, Scripture tells us,

But others mocking said, These men are full of sweet wine. Act 2:13

So may I ask where is your verse to authenticate what you are saying, that the women were speaking in tongues?

And before you go there Acts 2:4 I think you know and will agree that all of the Church down through the ages has had men filled with the Holy Spirit, Wesley, Finney, Spurgeon, Moody, just to name a few we are familiar with, that didn't speak in tongues, but we can't say they weren't Spirit filled.

Also, you have heard tongues spoken, how loud was/is it, whisper, murmur, normal talking voice, elevated talking voice, shouting?

Evidently on the day of Pentecost it was very loud to be heard down stairs in the road, and the sound had to either pass through stone walls or out of the windows for people to hear them, haven't you tried talking to some on who was on the first floor of a building, they had to come to the window for you to even hear them.

Something else, we are taught by the Holy Spirit the Spiritual things of God, but that doesn't mean we turn off our brains.

There were 120 believers in the upper room, if we say each one was given one square yard (9 sq ft) of floor space that is only a little over 1000 sq ft, if we say the room was 1600 sq ft (the size of a small residential house) then each one had 13 sq ft of area to pray in, either way the upper room was small, now if there were 16 different languages being spoken at the same time, loud enough to penetrate the stones walls or be heard through the open windows, you have to admit that would be confusing for a first time hearer, hence the reference to a drunken party and we all know how loud those parties are, also, have you ever been in an international airport and listened to all of the different languages being spoken at the same time, you have to admit that is strange and confusing too.

1. How did the Holy Spirit filter out the other 15 languages so that each one heard only their own language, ...I purpose there was more supernaturally taking place than we are aware of.
2. If there were 7.5 people (120 divided by the 16 languages) speaking the same language was it at the same time, were they in unison, each one saying exactly the same syllable at the same time, if so, why would the Holy Spirit need 7.5 people to speak when He could accomplish the same thing through just one in such a small room?
3. If the 7.5 people weren't exactly in unison, multiply that by the 16 different languages, then explain how could anyone hear anything from that confusion, ...kind of like an international airport.
4.If the Holy Spirit did speak through 7.5 people that were in exact unison on the day of Pentecost, then why did He inspire Paul to teach that only one should speak in tongues at a time, ...a. did He change His mind, or b. did He become impotent in the Corinthian church?
5. Those that heard the tongues also said those speaking were Galilean, could that possibly mean that there weren't any in the upper room from some other part of Israel, all 120 were Galilean?
6. Were are told there were women among the 120, but the record is only of men talking?

I think you can see there are some very unanswerable facts and reality that have been left out of Luke's record, so to try and build a doctrine on what little we have, ...what do we do with the 3000 men that heard the speaking in tongues, that were saved that day, there is no record of them speaking in tongues, or the 5000 believers in Acts 4, if they didn't speak in tongues is the Word wrong and they weren't really saved, ...or if it's so important then why didn't Luke record it for us?

There is just too much confusion in all of this, and God is not the author of confusion, to make it believable.

Yes I believe there is speaking in tongues today, but it's not like what is recorded about the first century church, when the Holy Spirit decides it will accomplish His purpose, but rather everything I have observed, with the exception of one time, hasn't followed the rules Paul gave through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, so that tells me it's not of the Holy Spirit, but of the flesh, the carnal nature and that is what Paul said about the Corinthians that were speaking in tongues, ...they were carnal.

Blessings,

Gene

Women can speak in tongues. But I don't think anyone knows what Paul meant. I mean he had a teacher who was a woman right? I can't remember that scripture.

Dear one, the Word tells us the Gamaliel of Acts 5:34 and Acts 22:3 was Paul's teacher, and history records for us he was being groomed by Gamaliel to become the High Priest, Gamaliel also tells us that Paul was an model student and the only trouble he had with Paul was supplying him enough books to read.

Maybe you are thinking of Timothy, Paul is admonishing him about the faith that his grandmother Lois and his mother Eunice had 2 Tim 1:5, but it was Paul the led him to the Lord 1 Tim 1:2.

Blessings,

Gene

In the event that someone may have read that post above too quickly;

We are always filled with the Spirit since we had come to & believed in Jesus Christ. If a believer experiences a sensation of an infilling after they had been saved, as in, experiencing what they believe is another infilling of the Holy Spirit, then that is not of Him at all.

Seducing spirits will attempt to lure believers away from resting in Jesus Christ that they are filled in chasing after them to receive them after a sensational sign in the flesh of an infilling as they sometimes comes with other signs like tongues which comes with no interpretation, "holy laughter", barking, and other signs that belong in the definition of confusion which God is not the author of.

This is why believers are not to believe every spirit but test them and that line of discernment is Him being in you is greater than he that is in the world is meaning that if you feel something coming over you when the Holy Spirit is already inside of you when you were first saved by believing in Jesus Christ, then you know that is NOT the Holy Spirit coming over you. 1 John 4:4

Faith is the evidence of things not seen: Hebrews 11:1 and so believers are to receive the promise of the Spirit by faith in Jesus Christ: Galatians 3:14 Galatians 3:26-28

Signs are not for serving believers that they are saved or for being ordained for the ministry or for having God working in the life of a believer or to prove that there is another hope of our calling as if you can receive the Holy Spirit again with the evidence of tongues.

Matthew 16:4A wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given unto it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas. And he left them, and departed.

It is an adulterous generation that seeks after a sign; to go away to the market, away from resting in the Bridegroom when we had first come to Him, as our waiting for Him that we are filled as promised by Him is being ready to go.

May wayward believers repent by returning to their first love and rest in Him by chasing no more after seducing spirits for a sign.

However, Scripture tells us,

But others mocking said, These men are full of sweet wine. Act 2:13

So may I ask where is your verse to authenticate what you are saying, that the women were speaking in tongues?

And before you go there Acts 2:4 I think you know and will agree that all of the Church down through the ages has had men filled with the Holy Spirit, Wesley, Finney, Spurgeon, Moody, just to name a few we are familiar with, that didn't speak in tongues, but we can't say they weren't Spirit filled.

Also, you have heard tongues spoken, how loud was/is it, whisper, murmur, normal talking voice, elevated talking voice, shouting?

Evidently on the day of Pentecost it was very loud to be heard down stairs in the road, and the sound had to either pass through stone walls or out of the windows for people to hear them, haven't you tried talking to some on who was on the first floor of a building, they had to come to the window for you to even hear them.

Something else, we are taught by the Holy Spirit the Spiritual things of God, but that doesn't mean we turn off our brains.

There were 120 believers in the upper room, if we say each one was given one square yard (9 sq ft) of floor space that is only a little over 1000 sq ft, if we say the room was 1600 sq ft (the size of a small residential house) then each one had 13 sq ft of area to pray in, either way the upper room was small, now if there were 16 different languages being spoken at the same time, loud enough to penetrate the stones walls or be heard through the open windows, you have to admit that would be confusing for a first time hearer, hence the reference to a drunken party and we all know how loud those parties are, also, have you ever been in an international airport and listened to all of the different languages being spoken at the same time, you have to admit that is strange and confusing too.

1. How did the Holy Spirit filter out the other 15 languages so that each one heard only their own language, ...I purpose there was more supernaturally taking place than we are aware of.
2. If there were 7.5 people (120 divided by the 16 languages) speaking the same language was it at the same time, were they in unison, each one saying exactly the same syllable at the same time, if so, why would the Holy Spirit need 7.5 people to speak when He could accomplish the same thing through just one in such a small room?
3. If the 7.5 people weren't exactly in unison, multiply that by the 16 different languages, then explain how could anyone hear anything from that confusion, ...kind of like an international airport.
4.If the Holy Spirit did speak through 7.5 people that were in exact unison on the day of Pentecost, then why did He inspire Paul to teach that only one should speak in tongues at a time, ...a. did He change His mind, or b. did He become impotent in the Corinthian church?
5. Those that heard the tongues also said those speaking were Galilean, could that possibly mean that there weren't any in the upper room from some other part of Israel, all 120 were Galilean?
6. Were are told there were women among the 120, but the record is only of men talking?

I think you can see there are some very unanswerable facts and reality that have been left out of Luke's record, so to try and build a doctrine on what little we have, ...what do we do with the 3000 men that heard the speaking in tongues, that were saved that day, there is no record of them speaking in tongues, or the 5000 believers in Acts 4, if they didn't speak in tongues is the Word wrong and they weren't really saved, ...or if it's so important then why didn't Luke record it for us?

There is just too much confusion in all of this, and God is not the author of confusion, to make it believable.

Yes I believe there is speaking in tongues today, but it's not like what is recorded about the first century church, when the Holy Spirit decides it will accomplish His purpose, but rather everything I have observed, with the exception of one time, hasn't followed the rules Paul gave through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, so that tells me it's not of the Holy Spirit, but of the flesh, the carnal nature and that is what Paul said about the Corinthians that were speaking in tongues, ...they were carnal.

Blessings,

Gene

Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Act 2:7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

Didn't you look the word, "Men" before asking this question? It does not mean "gender". It only refers to "plural"
But others mocking said, These men are full of sweet wine.

I do not believe the Word of God based on other people lives. That is not scripture, or wise.

Act 2:2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
Act 2:5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
Act 2:6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

What was the sound they heard that caused these other men to come? It was not the speaking, "but mighty rushing wind..."

Trying to cognitively, and logically understand scripture in how things were done by the Spirit of God will not help you in believing by faith what happened. How exactly did Jesus raise Lazarus from the dead? What exactly happened there? How can spitting and making mud pies cause someone receive their sight back? It is not important in the how, but in the knowing it happened.
Anytime a group of people begin speaking in a language they do not know, that is supernatural.
How many times does the Bible have describe an event so we get it? Jesus did many many other miracles that were not recorded in the Bible, because that would be more then we need to get it.

Joh 21:25 Now there are also many other things that Jesus did. Were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written.

Psa 68:11 The Lord gives the word; the women who announce the news are a great host: (ESV)

The very first preacher of the good new was a woman!!!

Psa 68:11 The Lord gives the word; the women who announce the news are a great host: (ESV)

The very first preacher of the good new was a woman!!!

But you see that is exactly what I have been saying to you. You just confirmed it again.

We all agree that and understand that women have a need and ministry in church BUT speaking in tongues is not one of them according to 1 Corth. 14:32.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back