Toxic Hatred In A Christian Life

These are good questions. I know that sin itself can be toxic no matter what direction it goes.

We need to be diligent to not allow sin to fester and know that sin is crouching at the door constantly!

God questioned Cain—“Why are you angry? Why is your face downcast?”—for the same reason He quizzed Adam and Eve in the garden. The Lord wasn’t scolding them. Instead, He wanted them to admit their sin so that they would repent.

Then God lovingly presented Cain with a choice: He could surrender his anger, of his wrong attitude, and get his heart right with God, or he could let sin get the better of him. As we know, Cain failed to heed God’s gracious words of caution. He let the wickedness of anger crouching at his door spring on him, become his master, and rule over him, which led to an even greater crime. Cain went on to slay his own brother, committing the first murder in history.

Then the LORD said to Cain, "Why are you angry? Why is your face downcast? If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it."

I think all sin leads to hatred. Mostly hatred towards God. When we sin we seperate ourselves from our Holy God. When we repent we restore it. Sin leads to hatred of ourselves, people, etc.

I don't think it's a one size fits all. There's such a huge dynamic as under that umbrella hatred.

1 John 2:15
Do not love this world nor the things it offers you, for when you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you.
Matthew 6:24
“No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.

Proverbs 10:1212 Hatred stirs up quarrels, but love makes up for all offenses. 12 Hatred starts fights, but love pulls a quilt over the bickering. 12 Hatred stirs up conflicts, but love covers all offenses.

Leviticus 19:17-18 KJV
Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him. Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.

I am guilty of getting angry in the past, even though I exercise restraint. We all have our triggers, and continuing to channel our feelings in a healthy manner is Christian evolution. Might we all continue to evolve for we are in this sinful flesh of ours. There are a lot of angry people in the world, and there is actually a lot we could get angry about. Even Christ overturned those tables. It is an emotion like any other. However, I do not believe I have genuinely hated anyone. I might dislike the actions of others, but I can always find something I like in all people.
Yes. My trigger is watching Alabama lose close games! Of corse that has only happened 3 or 4 times in last 10 years! Roll Tide.

Anger needs a release or an outlet, most people just write poems or let it out in their secret diaries. Some people run marathons...

I hate xxx! Life is so unfair! XX is so mean to me.

The other thing you can do is weed or mow the lawn. If you stuck inside, cleaning or vacuuming the house is an option. Take it out on the dust!

Apart from that, learn how to forgive. People can be idiots, it's not their fault, humans can be stupid. We are not perfect. We are human.

why is there so much discontent towards the local Church. . i will say this and i pretty much know what direction it will fall. THE Church is only as good as its pastor and the pastor is only as good as the congregation . when Jesus said why seek ye the living among the dead. what do you think he would say today. Sunday night we vested a Church we go to a lot on Sunday night. the pastor had a former pastor preach.. he told of a youth revival they had about 40 years ago . he told of the number who got saved... what happened to them days?
A falling away from moral standards has been and is continuing.

There is deep animosity between God's word Christians and ...new age religion christians....resulting in great conflict and yes...resentment. The left in politics and the religious left ......or new age religion types...are the same.
It is painful to see God's word re-interpreted to fit selfish desires.

Or do we lump all anger as unacceptable...regardless? bobinfaith Major ??
Yes.....There must be a distinction.

The anger that I feel when Alabama loses is not the same as when Daisey runs down the road after a lizard when I am yelling at her to STOP!.

Jesus was angry when He turned over the tables and took a whip to the money changers.......that was righteous indignation.

Yes.....There must be a distinction.

The anger that I feel when Alabama loses is not the same as when Daisey runs down the road after a lizard when I am yelling at her to STOP!.

Jesus was angry when He turned over the tables and took a whip to the money changers.......that was righteous indignation.
Not to put words in your mouth but would you say righteous indignation has more to do when we perceive the insult is against God rather than a personal attack?

why is there so much discontent towards the local Church. . i will say this and i pretty much know what direction it will fall. THE Church is only as good as its pastor and the pastor is only as good as the congregation. when Jesus said why seek ye the living among the dead. what do you think he would say today. Sunday night we vested a Church we go to a lot on Sunday night. the pastor had a former pastor preach.. he told of a youth revival they had about 40 years ago. he told of the number who got saved...what happened to them days?

Or do we lump all anger as unacceptable...regardless? bobinfaith Major??
A falling away from moral standards has been and is continuing. There is deep animosity between God's word Christians and ...new age religion christians....resulting in great conflict and yes...resentment. The left in politics and the religious left ......or new age religion types...are the same. It is painful to see God's word re-interpreted to fit selfish desires.

Hello brothers;

There was a time growing up when the local Church was content in my eyes. Example, when I walked into Church with my Dad and Mom we felt welcomed by the ushers and congregation. We felt loved and accepted making it comfortable to get into the heart of worship as One Body. When I turned 11 I began to understand what the preacher was talking about though I was barely able to understand Scripture. The pastor was always highly respected and I personally felt intimidated to speak to him because of his position in the Church.

As a teenager we attended Youth Group. It was an excuse to get out of the house on the weeknight and hang out with the guys and girls. But we were not exposed to any discussion about liberal or new age religion.

As far as I remember worship of the Lord and respect for our leaders in the Church was the norm. This was during the 60s and 70s and perhaps as a boy and teen I didn't know any better? Was there discontent amongst the adults back then?

Today's Church has definitely changed as forgiven and gpresdo point out. I agree. I feel the Church as been infiltrated by the enemy. In a nutshell the world rejects Christ because it wants to bathe in and celebrate it's sin. Who, as a human servant of God condones this in the Church and by what motive? Larger offerings or the census of a larger attendance? Both can increase provisions, ministries and programs but in the wrong way.

This makes me angry, not just the situation of sin but at people. Regardless, I'm angry. So what do I do about it?

As crossnote asks, do we lump all anger as unacceptable, regardless? No. There is an anger, but one that God understands. When Jesus went into the temple of God and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, He was angry and rightfully so.

Anger that spits on God and His Kingdom, or an unpleasant situation with people of life's situation. The question is, how do we deal with it?

First of all, stay true and continue through the narrow gate. It is alive and well with the opportunity to celebrate Jesus and it can be contagious. By managing our anger instead of resorting to toxic hatred is always there for any of us who choose prudence for Christ, Holy morals and application of Scripture teaching in all circumstances for His glory.

God bless you, brothers.

Anyone else's thoughts?

Hello brothers;

There was a time growing up when the local Church was content in my eyes. Example, when I walked into Church with my Dad and Mom we felt welcomed by the ushers and congregation. We felt loved and accepted making it comfortable to get into the heart of worship as One Body. When I turned 11 I began to understand what the preacher was talking about though I was barely able to understand Scripture. The pastor was always highly respected and I personally felt intimidated to speak to him because of his position in the Church.

As a teenager we attended Youth Group. It was an excuse to get out of the house on the weeknight and hang out with the guys and girls. But we were not exposed to any discussion about liberal or new age religion.

As far as I remember worship of the Lord and respect for our leaders in the Church was the norm. This was during the 60s and 70s and perhaps as a boy and teen I didn't know any better? Was there discontent amongst the adults back then?

Today's Church has definitely changed as forgiven and gpresdo point out. I agreell I feel the Church as been infiltrated by the enemy. In a nutshell the world rejects Christ because it wants to bathe in and celebrate it's sin. Who, as a human servant of God condones this in the Church and by what motive? Larger offerings or the census of a larger attendance? Both can increase provisions, ministries and programs but in the wrong way.

This makes me angry, not just the situation of sin but at people. Regardless, I'm angry. So what do I do about it?
As crossnote asks, do we lump all anger as unacceptable, regardless? No. There is an anger, but one that God understands. When Jesus went into the temple of God and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, He was angry and rightfully so.

Anger that spits on God and His Kingdom, or an unpleasant situation with people of life's situation. The question is, how do we deal with it?

First of all, stay true and continue through the narrow gate. It is alive and well with the opportunity to celebrate Jesus and it can be contagious. By managing our anger instead of resorting to toxic hatred is always there for any of us who choose prudence for Christ, Holy morals and application of Scripture teaching in all circumstances for His glory.

God bless you, brothers.

Anyone else's thoughts?
Hello brothers;

Today's Church has definitely changed as forgiven and gpresdo point out. I agree. I feel the Church as been infiltrated by the enemy. In a nutshell the world rejects Christ because it wants to bathe in and celebrate it's sin. Who, as a human servant of God condones this in the Church and by what motive? Larger offerings or the census of a larger attendance? Both can increase provisions, ministries and programs but in the wrong way.

God bless you, brothers.

Anyone else's thoughts?
We deal with it like the money changers were dealt with.....throw it out!!!!! With all the vigor that we can muster. Absence of anger should not be neglected.

On many occasions God gives us examples of how to deal with invasions of His righteous plan......... this is one.

This makes me angry, not just the situation of sin but at people.
pretty sure this describes the issue at hand Hebrews 2:1-3--

Hebrews 2:1-3

King James Version

2 Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip.
2 For if the word spoken by angels was stedfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompence of reward;
3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;

{
{ let them slip.} refers to as ship adrift out of control the theme song for todays Church is precious memories. today the Church looks to the degree to lead. i am not against education and learning things of the Bible. how soon we forget the spirit quickens . yes i am sure that there are Churches with Ichabod on the doors .

todays Church is getting use to the dark. in the Bible the women who broke open the alabaster box to use on Jesus.. they growled this could have been used to help others. . { paraphrased} Christ said let her alone she has done what she Could. curious what are we doing? complain i cant find a church that does it right..
how about rolling up our sleeves and fight . if we look in the mirror of the word and the mirror looking glass. we Might see the problem .

i hate to vent but it does not sit well when i see complaints how bad the Church is. yes the Church has allowed the trojan horse inside . it talks about men of old crept in unaware ..

Thus saith the Lord, Stand ye in the ways and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls.—Jeremiah 6:16..

we thousands of teachers but not many fathers in the Lord the old timers who came through the fire. is just about Gone . someone compared Andy Stanley to his dad while some areas i didn't agree with Charles Stanley. He stood on the rock and the word

pretty sure this describes the issue at hand Hebrews 2:1-3--

Hebrews 2:1-3​

King James Version​

2 Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip.
2 For if the word spoken by angels was stedfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompence of reward;
3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;

{
{ let them slip.} refers to as ship adrift out of control the theme song for todays Church is precious memories. today the Church looks to the degree to lead. i am not against education and learning things of the Bible. how soon we forget the spirit quickens . yes i am sure that there are Churches with Ichabod on the doors .

todays Church is getting use to the dark. in the Bible the women who broke open the alabaster box to use on Jesus.. they growled this could have been used to help others. . { paraphrased} Christ said let her alone she has done what she Could. curious what are we doing? complain i cant find a church that does it right..
how about rolling up our sleeves and fight . if we look in the mirror of the word and the mirror looking glass. we Might see the problem .

i hate to vent but it does not sit well when i see complaints how bad the Church is. yes the Church has allowed the trojan horse inside . it talks about men of old crept in unaware ..

Thus saith the Lord, Stand ye in the ways and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls.—Jeremiah 6:16..

we thousands of teachers but not many fathers in the Lord the old timers who came through the fire. is just about Gone . someone compared Andy Stanley to his dad while some areas i didn't agree with Charles Stanley. He stood on the rock and the word
Please, we need more of your stature........ venting ......so we can help God's word to remain in it's Glory with this greatly troubled world.

Hello brothers;

God bless you, brothers.

Anyone else's thoughts?
You said...........
" I feel the Church as been infiltrated by the enemy. In a nutshell the world rejects Christ because it wants to bathe in and celebrate it's sin."

I agree 100%!!!!

IMHO it began in the late 19th century when the church thought it had to adapt Christianity to a modern intellectual context begiining with Darwins theory of evolution.

His theory has done more to harm Christianity than anything I can think of. We see that it has developed into what is now called, Christian Modernism and is actually in opposition to fundamental Christianity. It is a movement that interprets Christian teaching by taking into consideration modern knowledge, science and ethics.

It emphasizes the importance of reason and experience over doctrinal authority and Biblical purity. Liberal Christians view their theology as an alternative to both atheistic rationalism and theologies based on traditional interpretations of external authority.

Just consider some of the comments seen here. It has been said that Hell is not real and that there is NO eternal torments.
It has been said that the body and soul of the resurrected lost are vaporized.

It has been said right here that everyone goes to heaven even Satan! It has been argued here that abortions are not murder and homosexual activity is so sensitive that it can not be discussed!

That is ALL liberal thought processes!

Ventilation is necessary to avoid build up of toxic mould.

So..open the window and make use of the hair dryer. In our spiritual lives, don't sit inside all the time, stewing. Get out and about. We are not meant to ferment like mouldy cheese.

It took me a very long time not to get angry and that it is an understatement. Glad I am no longer in my twenties. Really tough years as felt anger and people didn't understand me. Really through counseling, medication, along with being hospitalized twice.
Really things were going my way as I needed to grow in God despite the fact I did accept Him as Savior and Lord. But wasn't growing in Him. And needed to do so on there. It has taken me so long as it was right in front of me by Christ. But still needed to see it not just with eyes but heart and soul.
It is right there but need to seize it and take it not just seeing it with your eyes. But most of all, your heart and soul.

Yet as Christians we still struggle with this in our daily walk with Christ more than a broken down car, house appliance or our personal computer.

If we study the Bible regarding the downfall of toxic hatred, why is this so rampant in the Christian community?
Unfotunately, often we approach the problem of hatred in a similar way that we tackle a broken down computer, car, house appliance etc..
God's grace, patience and prayer is needed in dealing with anger of all stripes (toxic and non-toxic), at least that beats the 'count to ten' trick.

Back