Tree of knowledge

Has anybody ever thought what tree or plant the tree of knowledge may have been ? Or there is another chance it was purely fictional.
Anyone care to debate ?

As a botanist of 30+ years experience, I can tell you that there is no "tree of knowledge". Whatever God had planted in the Garden of Eden was lost to humans the day that Adam and Eve were driven out. It would have been a completely unique tree, the like of which is not found in any mundane forests.

As a botanist of 30+ years experience, I can tell you that there is no "tree of knowledge". Whatever God had planted in the Garden of Eden was lost to humans the day that Adam and Eve were driven out. It would have been a completely unique tree, the like of which is not found in any mundane forests.

I can agree with you in saying that it must have been a completely unique tree.
I want to know if you believe if it may have been a tree with psychoactive substances.

No. It was not a tree with "psychoactive substances." What was it? God said don't look for "fruit," for wisdom, for knowledge, for understanding anywhere but in what I have prepared for you. Don't question your existence ... that will get you into big trouble. God says, "I am all you need. Don't try to 'figure things out' on your own. Look to me." What happened? Temptation. Satan said "Huh? What did God say? Really? Look, let me help you out here." And he then explained stuff they had never thought of. Eve said, "Wow! Hey, Adam! Guess what?" You know the rest of the story.

~ We are both rational and irrational beings who are boiling over with emotions that churn away 24/7/365. Until we meet Jesus. Then we dump the rational and irrational for our promised Spiritual existence in Him. In Him we live and move and have our being.

"psychoactive substances"?, hardly.
It could have been the pink polkadotted fuzzy plum, doesn't matter. God said "don't mess with it", they did.
The "particular nature" of that tree really does not have any bearing on the issue.

Has anybody ever thought what tree or plant the tree of knowledge may have been ? Or there is another chance it was purely fictional.
Anyone care to debate ?
Firstly, it was not the "tree of knowledge" but the "tree of the knowledge of good and evil." I am sure that God had absolutely no problem with His people having "knowledge", in it's pure form - knowledge was necessary for them to fulfil their mandate of filling the world, subduing it and ruling over it.

What was dangerous was for them to gain a knowledge of evil, and its difference from good. What kind of tree would give them that? As Glomug said, it really didn't matter what kind of tree it was. It was certainly not some kind of magic tree that opened their eyes to evil. Rather, what made it the "tree of the knowledge of good and evil" was God's command not to eat of it: when they did eat from the tree, they knew evil - not in some esoteric fashion, or as an intellectual understanding, but in the very practical experiential sense that they had done evil.

blessings,

Lynn

Rather, what made it the "tree of the knowledge of good and evil" was God's command not to eat of it: when they did eat from the tree, they knew evil - not in some esoteric fashion, or as an intellectual understanding, but in the very practical experiential sense that they had done evil.

Lynn

It is a good idea, they found out evil when they disobeyed. I agree to that, but I say it's possible that the fruit of the tree gave them an insight and that's how they were able to "see more".

On to the next one :
"The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever." Genesis 3:22

Anyone care to debate ?

This is what I read, and I suppose we will believe and accept what is truth.

1. That God is speaking in parables:

Ezekiel 20:49 Then said I, Ah Lord GOD! they say of me, Doth he not speak parables?
Psalms 78:2 I will open my mouth in a parable: I will utter dark sayings of old:

2. That it is only God that can reveal the "intended message of His words." Our clue:

1 John 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

3. To prove the foregoing truth, this is what is written regarding "wisdom of man" that God hates:

1 Corinthians 1:19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
1 Corinthians 1:20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

4. That God's sole desire for man to do is to HUMBLE oneself so as to be endowed with "divine knowledge and wisdom."

Isaiah 28:9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.

Luke 10:21 In that hour Jesus rejoiced in spirit, and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes: even so, Father; for so it seemed good in thy sight.

5. Who can accept the following truth in order to be called a real Disciple of Christ?

Mark 4:34 But without a parable spake he not unto them: and when they were alone, he expounded all things to his disciples.

The foregoing is but an introduction to God's divine revelation of what really is "The Tree of knowledge of good and evil" whose fruits are forbidden by God to eat in:

Genesis 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

The way I see it is that what God said " do not eat of the fruit from the tree" was a command and the very first and only law. From there the law was eventually broken. 1 LAW we could not keep from breaking it. So from here on out we broke every law made by God through out history. Then Jesus came onto the scene to fight for us as a lawyer to represent us in front of the Great Judge God. Our Great creator that we turned our selfish backs on because of our free will which we used recklessly. We don't have enough credits to bail ourselves out of prison so Jesus will pay for our sins/law breaking with HIS own blood and love for us wretched people.. Think about it real hard what Jesus our lawyer has done for us!! It will break your heart just like we broke HIS

Chili

You are right, we will never find anything by going there, but we are all tempted to think :p

There is plenty for the Christian to find. The account of Adam and Eve is true and real. Just as is all of the Bible. If these things are not so, then its just as Paul said in 1Cor.15:19 "...we are of all men most miserable".

But, we are not miserable. Because these things are so. And we do know theses things for certainty.

Quantrill

Anyone care to debate discuss?

While I choose to take everything in Scriptures literally, unless it is an obvious parable or simile, I have heard the tree was symbolic of something else.

Mind you, I do not ahere to these ideas. However, I like discussing them because it often leads to little things I had not noticed before. It also helps train me for witnessing effectively to people in the "real world".

With that said, I am willing to engage in a theological disacussion with you, but I have no intention of debating with some others who can't tell the difference between a theolgical discussion and promoting beliefs.

I need a moment to try to find the theory......

(for the record, I believe the tree was indeed a tree and will explain why as our discussion progresses to that point - this note is not for you, Optik, it is for two other members who hate when I speculate - one thinks it should never be done and the other thinks he/she has all the answers already)

I've reconsidered, as I searched for the theory I got a "feeling" that tells me not to discuss it. So, instead, I am simply going to say, the words used in Genesis 3 concerning the tree, good, and evil do not have dual meanings.

The serpent, on-the-other-hand, I believe was not necessarily a lizard or snake with legs, as Revelation states his true identity - the devil.

Did satan take on another form? Hardly seems God would punish an innocent creation who was possessed by cursing it. So, this part may show some symbolism, but I believe it is merely the use of dual meaning words that cause the confusion.

The word serpent means hiss so one associates it with snakes and lizards, but, if I remember correctly, it also means one who deceives or something like that.

The fruit, theorhetically, could still be in existance today, because it didn't have to be anything special about the fruit itself, but rather, the sin was in the disobedience to God. On-the-other-hand, God never rescinded His command not to eat - at least not until after Jesus made all foods clean - and the Scriptures say the tree was hidden from mankind.

Ginger

Yes Ginger, the word of God is something that should be considered really sacred considering this was given to us with a purpose:

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2 Timothy 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Even in the Old Testament it is written, but with a caution:

Deuteronomy 29:29 The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law.

Therefore, this discussion about the Tree of Life may be conducted for the glory of God, and not for the glory of men knowing the dictate of the intellect and heart.

Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

And so, we may continue discussing this wonderful topic having God through His words as our guide.

Eeek! I thought that the topic was worn out by now, Ginger. I can't imagine anything that hasn't been asked and answered, point and counter-point, and similar. We've seen some highly spiritual commentary and some that is ............... well, you know.

Back