Was The Flood Story Copied From Babylonia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone leaves the Faith and devotion unto The creator because of believing some man made beliefs whether proven or not....His/ Her heart was not really in being Christ like.
That's not how it generally works.

What typically happens is a kid is told from an early age that evolution and "billions of years" are fake, made-up hoaxes by God-hating scientists. As they get older they're given specific arguments like "there are no transitional fossils", "no new species have evolved", "no new genetic information has ever evolved", and such. But when they get to high school, they start to find out that some of those things are just wrong. And those that go on to college and take even basic college courses find out definitively that just about all those young-earth creationist arguments are factually wrong.

The problem comes in when they've been told all along that you can't be an "evolutionist" or "believe in millions of years" and be a Born Again Christian. It's one or the other...can't be both.

So these kids know what they've seen with their own eyes, and they know which side of the issue has been lying to them, so a good number of them figure, "If this is what I have to believe to be a Christian, then I can't be a Christian".

The schools are getting better and better at teaching science every year, so the more fundamentalist Christians push this false dichotomy, the more kids they drive from the faith.

Sleep well, look forward to chatting more about the sphere/circle question. You're right about my imagination, I do lack a bit in that dept sometimes.
Might not be able to join you for a couple of days, I'm going on my travels.

A lot of my brothers and sisters reject "evolution" emphatically because they have been misinformed.
Who's been misinforming them?

The fact that things change over time is really not the issue (everyone knows this) it is the how and why as described by Charles Darwin and the modern neo-Darwinians that they should be rejecting and protesting.
Why?

When my body was conceived I was a zygote. Over time I became an Embryo, then a Fetus, then an infant, a toddler, into pubescence, and onto adulthood...now this tent is wearing thin and growing a little weakness showing wear and tear unto eventually when I part from it (it having served His purpose for me). This is change over time (evolution)...there were many factors...genetic, circumstantial (availability of food, exposure to elements, etc.,), behavioral (lifestyle and choices I made), spiritual, etc., all of which influenced my greater biological (natural) success or failure (called in EB "selection").
This is a good example of misinformation about the science. Where did you get the idea that your aging process is evolution?

But as for members of one phyla actually eventually becoming entirely different phyla (like fish into amphibians, into reptiles, etc.,) has never (no not ever) been demonstrated to be true (simply an alternative way of interpreting the greater very general display pf evidence to fit the pre-conceived theory).
How do you know that? Have you been keeping up on the scientific literature? Attending scientific conferences? Taking college level courses?

If you're going to insist that you know what the state of the science is, I'm very curious how you came to that knowledge.

The idea of the neo-Darwinian idea of natural selection is another unfounded pre-conceived conclusion imposed into our thinking by drill, repetition, and appeal to alleged authority.
???????? Natural selection is not only 100% observable, it's quantifiable as well. I mean, what do you think is the cause behind bacterial resistance to antibiotics that only recently existed is?

Likewise the concept of abiogenesis where living things "Evolved" from non-living things...is clearly an absurd assumption without one iota of proof or evidence yet it is swallowed whole by millions upon millions of inquiring minds.
Again, how do you know what the state of the science is?

Our development as expressed in y first paragraph is a fact...these final three are fictional works of the imaginations of men that exalt themselves against truth and against Christ.
You demonstrate my point about driving kids away from the faith very well.

That's not how it generally works.

What typically happens is a kid is told from an early age that evolution and "billions of years" are fake, made-up hoaxes by God-hating scientists. As they get older they're given specific arguments like "there are no transitional fossils", "no new species have evolved", "no new genetic information has ever evolved", and such. But when they get to high school, they start to find out that some of those things are just wrong. And those that go on to college and take even basic college courses find out definitively that just about all those young-earth creationist arguments are factually wrong.

The problem comes in when they've been told all along that you can't be an "evolutionist" or "believe in millions of years" and be a Born Again Christian. It's one or the other...can't be both.

So these kids know what they've seen with their own eyes, and they know which side of the issue has been lying to them, so a good number of them figure, "If this is what I have to believe to be a Christian, then I can't be a Christian".

The schools are getting better and better at teaching science every year, so the more fundamentalist Christians push this false dichotomy, the more kids they drive from the faith.
Actually, evolution and 'billions of years' are part of the theory scientists have developed in an effort to explain creation without any mention of God.

BTW I've been through high school and have a degree in engineering. I do not believe creationism is factually wrong.

Sorry, I can not see how a mechanism which relies on mutations to operate can account for the diversity we see.
Has it ever occurred to you that the problem isn't with the science, but with your understanding of it?

What we see in front of us is the working out of the variety built into each species to allow it to survive.
What we see are evolutionary mechanisms that are sufficient to generate new traits, abilities, and species. And we've only been looking for just over 150 years!

BTW there is no theory of gravity, it's a law
*sigh*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_gravitational_theory

At this point I have to just note that the level of ignorance of basic science and biology on display here is appalling. Absolutely ridiculous and flat out incorrect statements like....

there are six evolutionary theories and they all contradict one another

Evolution cannot explain which came first, the chicken or the egg.

there is no theory of gravity

there is no such thing as "micro-evolution"

genetic mutation does not add information, it can only delete or alter information

no new specie can arise from another specie (evolution)

evolution and 'billions of years' are part of the theory scientists have developed in an effort to explain creation without any mention of God

Every single one of those statements is not only wrong, but spectacularly wrong. Wrong to the point where the only utility of them is to conclusively demonstrate that the people making them have absolutely no clue what they're talking about.

Yet I'd bet every one of those people believe those are the sorts of things we should be teaching kids and tying to the Christian faith.

This is like watching atheists debate the Bible and say things like, "Yeah, but when Noah took the 10 Commandments onto the Ark of the Covenant with Adam and Eve...."

Just stop....please. This is embarrassing. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back