West Coast fires

Hi, Lanolin - I couldn't remember what the start of all this was, so I looked up just why Prayer and Bibles were taken out of USA schools and this here link below, is one of the better ones to read about it. This includes the court case and other reference material. This dates back to 1962.

http://www.jesusisprecious.org/prayer/prayer_and_bible_removed.htm
meh. It's a lot of jargon to wade through.
In a nutshell it's just a recitation thats been removed, you can't say that prayer and Bibles are banned. Nobody's saying children cannot pray because anybody can pray whenever, and a recitation isn't necessarily real prayer anyway.
Don't your teachers ever eat and or say a prayer before or after meals to bless what has been given?
Are they not allowed to do that??? Most schools here are independent and are run however the principals direct them. The govt just directs the national curriculum, it's really up to the teachers what they are willing to teach outside of that. Of course the govt is not going to sponsor or provide Bibles in schools (which version?) or have it as a seperate compulsory subject, as there aren't any exams on it. Nobody's quizzing you on Bible.

Here the biggest thing is getting Maori to be taught as a language in schools as a core subject. High schools offer French, Japanese and German even Latin but our own native language gets shoved aside. Maori children were banned from speaking it and could only be taught in English, and lost their language as a result. Before the law changed, Maori was the language of instruction in native schools. So they can't say it's 'oh but we have no teachers'. If there's enough French, German and Japanese teachers to have an entire subject at high schools, there ought to be enough Maori teachers in a land that speaks Maori, where French, German and Japanese are not even spoken/used everyday.

If Bible was a core subject, that would be good but I don't recall it ever was.

In Australia the fire departments are entirely volunteer.

I don't know that much about forest management in the US but in NZ we have Department of Conservation (govt dept) who are meant to look after forests. But a lot of the work actually comes from volunteers replanting and preserving wildlife.

Much of the land had been cleared for pasture or replanted as pine plantations, once thats been done its hard to get it back to native forest again but it can be done.
Plantations and pasture isn't that great for the knock on effect it has on native forest areas because native wildlife and stock and exotics don't mix well as neither does urban areas and countryside. There has to be a balance.

^Our president is partially correct, but where is the money suppose to come from for proper wildlife/forest management? Then people like me get abased for stating anything about illegal immigration spending, and the associated problems it brings. ---BUT--- We cant even take care of our public lands, veteran's of war, or provide our legal citizens with a livable minimum wage. That's when I pray instead of scream at the top of my lungs-

The forest management is completely a STATE responsibility. Each state must be in charge of their own forests.

It is important to note that California faces a massive backlog of forest management work. Millions of acres are in need of treatment, and this work— once completed—must be repeated over the years. Also, while fuels treatment such as forest thinning and creation of fire breaks can help reduce fire severity, wind-driven wildfire events that destroy lives and property will very likely still occur.
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/05...tates-forest-management-and-wildfire-debacle/

Stands to reason as some states don't have much forest, so they can't be spending money or labour on things they don't actually have.
They could employ more people in forested areas to manage it, but a lot of administrators don't see it as important work. The value of forest areas is incalculable though. People think you have to clear it and get the wood from it and then the gum or use the land for housing which has been what mostly happened.

People don't really know how to work WITH the forest and harvest it and use for hunting grounds, hiking and biking trails, or tree walks. You can use the thinnings for all sorts of things, and the trees environments for moss and fungi, but a lot of people think it's easier to burn and clearfell the lot.

In summer in NZ we always have fire restrictions in forested areas because the dangers of a fire outbreak are high.

Indeed Major, but federal lands require federal funding which just in not there. Volunteers can help fill the gaps, but there is so much to do that there isn't enough man power. Raising private funding to preserve public lands is an exercise in futility for those whom have dared to even try. I got tired of being nothing but a grain of sand among a small teaspoon. I have seen small rewards, that never lasted anyway.

All Im saying is a good chunk of the problems we face in this nation, could be solved through the defunding of many programs illegal immigrants now use. Reallocation of that funding could be saving states like California from these fires right now. However not everyone see's things through the same looking glass, when environmental issues are concerned.

mmm I don't know why people want to defund illegal immigrants when you could defund the whole weapons program for a year (in the billions) and divert THAT into looking after your own forests.

I very much doubt that illegal immigrants are getting access to any funds anyway they are just probably living hand to mouth. Most of them picking YOUR harvest and cleaning YOUR toilets and cooking YOUR dinners. Whereas weapons that you don't even NEED since its going to make war in other countries who want absolutely nothing to do with you.

Just sayin!

Indeed Major, but federal lands require federal funding which just in not there. Volunteers can help fill the gaps, but there is so much to do that there isn't enough man power. Raising private funding to preserve public lands is an exercise in futility for those whom have dared to even try. I got tired of being nothing but a grain of sand among a small teaspoon. I have seen small rewards, that never lasted anyway.

All Im saying is a good chunk of the problems we face in this nation, could be solved through the defunding of many programs illegal immigrants now use. Reallocation of that funding could be saving states like California from these fires right now. However not everyone see's things through the same looking glass, when environmental issues are concerned.

Good point. I agree. Makes you wonder why someone has not already done just that. I would think that if that was done a war would break out in congress.

Then the more I think about that.....maybe that would be a good thing.

I recall in nz, there was a racist policy in the 70s that meant pacific islanders were targeted as 'overstayers' and got 'Dawn Raided' (look it up) by turning them out of their homes before they woke up by the NZ police.

But actually, many other kinds of people from all different countries were overstaying not just Pacific Islanders!
And it actually did not solve anything but make people be RACIST! If you happened to have a Polynesian name, you and your family were targeted.
Plus it was the govt that invited immigrants in the first place anyway! They just didn't make it clear or communicate how long they were meant to stay for and make provisions for them to get home.

We now have citizenship ceremonies for those who want to become naturalised. Of course if you were born in the country, you automatically became a NZ citizen by birth. So it would be harsh and stupid to say oh no cos your parents immigrated here you aren't entitled to health and education or a home. You can't get a job or earn a living here. We will stop you from getting one. You can just starve.

I recall that Jesus went to Egypt as a refugee, and Egypt actually welcomed Israelites when they had a famine in their own country.
Actually, Egypt intially WOULD NOT let their Hebrew workers go. Even when they wanted to leave, in Moses time.

Its funny that, the Israelites would return to Egypt in hard times, but they wouldn't go to Jordan, or back to Babylon.
I very much doubt immigrants there were overwhelming them, what happened was they had enough wealth to support an entire kingdom and actually needed the extra workers. They invited them! They just became MEAN to them when they *thought* there were too many.

In the Bible, it's recognised that because of Egypts hospitality the Israelites were also meant to extend the same grace to their foreigners staying in their midsts.

This is always the way how minorities are treated, when they become the majority, its like, well, we fear we can't be in charge anymore. And this is what's happening in Palestine today.

Back