What’s your understanding of how to properly pray

I've tied myself up in knots in the past about how to pray correctly. If in doubt, pray the Lord's prayer.

Our Father Who art in Heaven
Hallowed be Thy name
Thy kingdom come
Thy will be done
On earth as it is in heaven
Give us each day our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses
As we forgive those that trespass against us
And lead us not into temptation
But deliver us from evil
For thine is the kingdom
The power and the glory
Forever and ever
Amen

As to where and when and how, I don't really think it matters.

I pray when I'm walking on the beach.

xxx

I just wanted to update that I pray a bit differently now. Yes I still believe and I do address God first, but now I say Our Heavenly Father, first, the I pray for whatever I pray for, then in the end I finish with, In The Name of Jesus Christ Nazarene Amen.

Thanks

There has been a lot of good responses already. I've just got a few more things to consider.

We are told not to pray hypocritically or in a way to be seen or heard of men (See what kind of Christian I am) (Mat 6:5).
Pray when your flesh is weak (Mark 14:38)
Pray and not faint (grow weary or spiritless) (Luke 18:1) Prayer can revitalize us.
Pray with humility (Luke 18:9-14)

I pray all the time. Regardless of what I'm doing, if the desire is there I will just stop and pray. If it might disturb others I pray silently; if I'm alone I often pray "in tongues". I just have my time with God; often I'm not asking Him for anything other than direction and wisdom.

I pray all the time. Regardless of what I'm doing, if the desire is there I will just stop and pray. If it might disturb others I pray silently; if I'm alone I often pray "in tongues". I just have my time with God; often I'm not asking Him for anything other than direction and wisdom.

How do you pray in tongues? Just curious. I know the Spirit in us makes it's own intercession for us while we pray with groanings that cannot be uttered (Romans 8:26).

Prayer is an awesome tool. Knowing that we have access to God and being ready always to speak or let God speak to us is important. There are many times I will offer up short prayers silently during the day as I pray for guidance, help, strength and other things. Sometimes it is wisdom to understand what God would have me to do in a situation.

How do you pray in tongues? Just curious. I know the Spirit in us makes it's own intercession for us while we pray with groanings that cannot be uttered (Romans 8:26).

Prayer is an awesome tool. Knowing that we have access to God and being ready always to speak or let God speak to us is important. There are many times I will offer up short prayers silently during the day as I pray for guidance, help, strength and other things. Sometimes it is wisdom to understand what God would have me to do in a situation.

The description in Romans -- I know the Spirit in us makes it's own intercession for us while we pray with groanings that cannot be uttered -- is about as accurate a depiction as I could I give. Some times I pray out loud in the prayer language that I received when I asked God for it, sometimes I just pray silently in the "language" the Holy Spirit gives me. It's hard to describe, but I just bypass conventional English language and let the words and expressions form internally. It's kind of like singing a tune in your head without sound. I hope that's not too confusing!

The description in Romans -- I know the Spirit in us makes it's own intercession for us while we pray with groanings that cannot be uttered -- is about as accurate a depiction as I could I give. Some times I pray out loud in the prayer language that I received when I asked God for it, sometimes I just pray silently in the "language" the Holy Spirit gives me. It's hard to describe, but I just bypass conventional English language and let the words and expressions form internally. It's kind of like singing a tune in your head without sound. I hope that's not too confusing!

So essentially you are letting the Holy Spirit in you speak for you to God in these moments of silence.

For me most of my prayers are in silence. In moments of need, I give thanks, share the need and desire, and acknowledging that God is whom I trust.

Back