What do you know about prayer?

Please post anything you might know about prayer. What to pray about, how to pray, etc. Positions in prayer, whether to keep your eyes open or not, etc.

Please post anything you might know about prayer. What to pray about, how to pray, etc. Positions in prayer, whether to keep your eyes open or not, etc.
Juk, I love when you ask for personal input, because you really want to know. Prayer to me is having a respectful, personal conversation with God about anything, whether someone is bothering me and I need His guidance on it, or I feel miserable because of my husband's mean comments, or I am just grateful for God's mercy and I just want to thank Him for still loving me even though I mess up sometimes. Prayer to me is also when I lift my voice in the congregation on Sundays when we sing in church. Some of those songs are exactly what I want to tell Him, so I put my whole heart into it, and I feel it's just Him and me, and He is smiling. I've heard some people say there's nothing like praying on your knees, and I think I agree with them, though I hardly ever pray that way. Most times I pray while doing dishes, or while running, or walking the dogs, or when I'm doing something outside and nature catches my attention, like hummingbirds will fly by, or I'll catch the wonderful smell of orange blossoms, or the the cool, green grass on my bare feet makes me smile. Then I have to sigh, and say, "Ah, Lord, that is beautiful! You're amazing. Just how many different hummingbirds did you make, anyway? And that fragrance...oh, I wish I could put that smell in a spray bottle! I'd spray the whole house with it. It's my favorite!" Things like that. Now when I am singing, I keep my eyes open to read the words, unless I have the song memorized. Then I close out the world and just sing to Him, even lifting my hands a little if I feel like it. Last week, I was looking at the wall in my room upstairs, where I have maybe 30 pictures of my children and grandchildren, and as I looked at each face, my smile got bigger and bigger, remembering things we have done, and I sent out a group text to the grown kids, thanking God for them, and praying that He show them wisdom with their lives, and how to love each other and be examples to each other and to their children. I prayed a solid blessing on them, making it specific to guidance in jobs, solutions when problems come, and strength for every day. They absolutely loved it, and I think it came at the right time for a few of them. Knowing the Bible makes it easier to pray, because the Bible gives you good insight on the personality of God. And you can pray, "Father, You said in Your Word that we are to pray for those who persecute us, and it sure isn't easy with this man who makes fun of me when I say I will pray about something I'm not sure about but I want Your guidance on. He is rude! But I will pray for him because You want me to. I pray that He finds Jesus, because then he'll begin to understand that he's not as smart as he thinks he is." The words and phrases and expressions I use toward God are much the same as those I would use with a friend. When I was a child, my Dad taught us to pray formally, with memorized prayers, but my mind always wandered when I prayed like that. Talking to a friend, I pay attention. Talking with God shouldn't be any different. And I can tell when He lays a reply or an answer into my mind, because it comes out of nowhere, and it goes with the prayer, and never gives in to my flesh. You always have to test things you feel or sense, to see if it is of God, or of it is a trick of the devil. Hope this helps.

Prayer is best with eyes closed. You are putting away your attention to worldly objects. It takes practice to stop thinking of other things. But practice makes perfect.
Essentially, you are having a conversation with Jesus (who is a real person even though you can't see him). People often get down on their knees as a position of humility - like a servant kneeling before his/her Lord and Master of old. Sometimes I sit on the end of my bed and pray because my knees hurt on the hard wooden floors.
What to pray for, Juk? Two types of prayer as needed.
One: for yourself, your faith, your heart and soul; your health and wellbeing. For understanding and wisdom. For protection and safety.
Two: for others; for family; for neighbours; for classmates; for people you may have spoken to; praying for others often brings unexpected rewards because you are not just wanting for yourself. It is one way of loving and caring for others.
Some of my best healings have come in when I have prayed fervently for other people and their needs.

Reactions: Juk
Greetings:
It's good for triangulating,as in the marriage-at-Cana.Things go better if the Lord is involved,better than a money-gram(A to B).
bye

There's no formula per se other than what Jesus gave us. #1 repetitive prayers are empty and put faith in the words, not what's in the heart. #2 Pray with your heart whatever is on it. Every day we're presented with people in need, pray for them right then and there. If I'm the bus and I see an elderly lady moving slowly, cautiously, I ask for her health and safety and that by it she can know the Lord. If I see someone limping I'll say a prayer that they get healed and again that they can know the Lord. The other thing about "prayer" is uttering God's word. The Lord told Joshua 1:8 not to let the words of God depart from his lips but to say them day and night. This one verse is very interesting because the Hebrew word "meditate" literally means "to mutter" as in speaking under your breath - to mubble. :D Why? Paul explains why:

Romans 10:17 (KJV)
So then faith [cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.​

Prayer to a christian is to breath. You don't stop breathing, so pray whenever you're not busy. Give thanks always for everything you encounter all day.

1 Thessalonians 5:17 (KJV)
Pray without ceasing.​

Ephesians 5:20 (KJV)
Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;​

Do not worry about the externals, (i.e. what position, eyes open or closed, etc.)
Let the prayer be from the heart, speak to Jesus as if He was actually there.
If your day stunk, tell Him so, and ask for the strength to see days like that through.
If dinner was exceptionally good, tell Him so, and thank Him.
He delights in the little things, or so He says.

Too many people treat Him as if He wasn't listening.

Do not worry about the externals, (i.e. what position, eyes open or closed, etc.)
Let the prayer be from the heart, speak to Jesus as if He was actually there.
If your day stunk, tell Him so, and ask for the strength to see days like that through.
If dinner was exceptionally good, tell Him so, and thank Him.
He delights in the little things, or so He says.

Too many people treat Him as if He wasn't listening.
I absolutely agree with you.
Amen to that!

There's no formula per se other than what Jesus gave us. #1 repetitive prayers are empty and put faith in the words, not what's in the heart. #2 Pray with your heart whatever is on it. Every day we're presented with people in need, pray for them right then and there. If I'm the bus and I see an elderly lady moving slowly, cautiously, I ask for her health and safety and that by it she can know the Lord. If I see someone limping I'll say a prayer that they get healed and again that they can know the Lord. The other thing about "prayer" is uttering God's word. The Lord told Joshua 1:8 not to let the words of God depart from his lips but to say them day and night. This one verse is very interesting because the Hebrew word "meditate" literally means "to mutter" as in speaking under your breath - to mubble. :D Why? Paul explains why:

Romans 10:17 (KJV)
So then faith [cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.​

Prayer to a christian is to breath. You don't stop breathing, so pray whenever you're not busy. Give thanks always for everything you encounter all day.

1 Thessalonians 5:17 (KJV)
Pray without ceasing.​

Ephesians 5:20 (KJV)
Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;​
Great advice. I heard about the useless prayer thing.

Prayer is best with eyes closed. You are putting away your attention to worldly objects. It takes practice to stop thinking of other things. But practice makes perfect.
Essentially, you are having a conversation with Jesus (who is a real person even though you can't see him). People often get down on their knees as a position of humility - like a servant kneeling before his/her Lord and Master of old. Sometimes I sit on the end of my bed and pray because my knees hurt on the hard wooden floors.
What to pray for, Juk? Two types of prayer as needed.
One: for yourself, your faith, your heart and soul; your health and wellbeing. For understanding and wisdom. For protection and safety.
Two: for others; for family; for neighbours; for classmates; for people you may have spoken to; praying for others often brings unexpected rewards because you are not just wanting for yourself. It is one way of loving and caring for others.
Some of my best healings have come in when I have prayed fervently for other people and their needs.
When I close my eyes, my mind goes free.

Juk, I love when you ask for personal input, because you really want to know. Prayer to me is having a respectful, personal conversation with God about anything, whether someone is bothering me and I need His guidance on it, or I feel miserable because of my husband's mean comments, or I am just grateful for God's mercy and I just want to thank Him for still loving me even though I mess up sometimes. Prayer to me is also when I lift my voice in the congregation on Sundays when we sing in church. Some of those songs are exactly what I want to tell Him, so I put my whole heart into it, and I feel it's just Him and me, and He is smiling. I've heard some people say there's nothing like praying on your knees, and I think I agree with them, though I hardly ever pray that way. Most times I pray while doing dishes, or while running, or walking the dogs, or when I'm doing something outside and nature catches my attention, like hummingbirds will fly by, or I'll catch the wonderful smell of orange blossoms, or the the cool, green grass on my bare feet makes me smile. Then I have to sigh, and say, "Ah, Lord, that is beautiful! You're amazing. Just how many different hummingbirds did you make, anyway? And that fragrance...oh, I wish I could put that smell in a spray bottle! I'd spray the whole house with it. It's my favorite!" Things like that. Now when I am singing, I keep my eyes open to read the words, unless I have the song memorized. Then I close out the world and just sing to Him, even lifting my hands a little if I feel like it. Last week, I was looking at the wall in my room upstairs, where I have maybe 30 pictures of my children and grandchildren, and as I looked at each face, my smile got bigger and bigger, remembering things we have done, and I sent out a group text to the grown kids, thanking God for them, and praying that He show them wisdom with their lives, and how to love each other and be examples to each other and to their children. I prayed a solid blessing on them, making it specific to guidance in jobs, solutions when problems come, and strength for every day. They absolutely loved it, and I think it came at the right time for a few of them. Knowing the Bible makes it easier to pray, because the Bible gives you good insight on the personality of God. And you can pray, "Father, You said in Your Word that we are to pray for those who persecute us, and it sure isn't easy with this man who makes fun of me when I say I will pray about something I'm not sure about but I want Your guidance on. He is rude! But I will pray for him because You want me to. I pray that He finds Jesus, because then he'll begin to understand that he's not as smart as he thinks he is." The words and phrases and expressions I use toward God are much the same as those I would use with a friend. When I was a child, my Dad taught us to pray formally, with memorized prayers, but my mind always wandered when I prayed like that. Talking to a friend, I pay attention. Talking with God shouldn't be any different. And I can tell when He lays a reply or an answer into my mind, because it comes out of nowhere, and it goes with the prayer, and never gives in to my flesh. You always have to test things you feel or sense, to see if it is of God, or of it is a trick of the devil. Hope this helps.
Beautiful, it helped a lot. My favorite prayer position is sitting down on a chair. I do a lot of the things you said, too. Like praying during my daily life. But only when I am alone.

When I close my eyes, my mind goes free.
How do you mean? That you stop thinking of what's around you. Or that you think of all the junk that is in your head?
Closing your eyes in part of your training in serious prayer. Yes, you can pray at the bus stop. You can give a prayer of thanks/praise when you see a beautiful flower or a stunning sunset. But there is also serious prayer time. When you really need to focus on the Lord without distractions of what's going on around you.
Going into your closet (private chamber) and pray in secret to your father who is in heaven.
I talk to the Lord all the time, for he lives within me and therefore we share each day together.
But there is time out that is serious prayer time. When I press in for my own spiritual needs, my heart, my soul, my walk, my faith...
And then mostly there is prayer for others, like for example Daniel and Troy who are both having faith wobbles and have stopped coming to meetings; May, a Chinese lady that I am currently witnessing to (for the Lord to guard her heart from deceit), others who have healing needs, Herbert who lives down the road and is an alcoholic.
Practice looking at one single object while you pray. Training to focus your mind on what you are doing. It does take practice over time, Juk.

We are to pray without ceasing. It's hard to stay in one position.

Seriously though, there are many kinds of prayer. You may see something that fills your heart with gladness and praise God then and there. It could be out loud, it could be silent. No need to bow a head or close the eyes.

You should also pray during serious meditation, in which case you may have removed yourself from distractions and assumed a posture that reminds YOU of God's holiness, authority, as well as His love.

You should also learn to discern when God is directing your thoughts, for prayer is also a time of listening.

The God who made the platypus as and me also has a sense of humor, so prayer can be a time of light hearted humor. If it's not a joke that you think the God appreciate, maybe its not a good one to tell anyone.

If bowing your head or clasping your hands helps you attain an attitude of worship, do so. If this doesn't, seem effective, I would encourage you to try this during a daily prayer for a week or more. Sometimes it takes a while to develop a good habit.

Then there is also the times that one prays as part of a group. Respect others and assume posture that shows you care.

God is both Holy and demands respect, and your friend who wishes you to enjoy His company.

I pray all the time. I can be at work, walking, at the gym, on these forums (like now)...
It's good to get into the habit of prayer I think. What's it matter how it's done? The most important thing is the attitude of the heart. :)

How do you mean? That you stop thinking of what's around you. Or that you think of all the junk that is in your head?
Closing your eyes in part of your training in serious prayer. Yes, you can pray at the bus stop. You can give a prayer of thanks/praise when you see a beautiful flower or a stunning sunset. But there is also serious prayer time. When you really need to focus on the Lord without distractions of what's going on around you.
Going into your closet (private chamber) and pray in secret to your father who is in heaven.
I talk to the Lord all the time, for he lives within me and therefore we share each day together.
But there is time out that is serious prayer time. When I press in for my own spiritual needs, my heart, my soul, my walk, my faith...
And then mostly there is prayer for others, like for example Daniel and Troy who are both having faith wobbles and have stopped coming to meetings; May, a Chinese lady that I am currently witnessing to (for the Lord to guard her heart from deceit), others who have healing needs, Herbert who lives down the road and is an alcoholic.
Practice looking at one single object while you pray. Training to focus your mind on what you are doing. It does take practice over time, Juk.
I mean that the junk that goes on in my life just play through my brain. I do not focus on them, though, because that would just be dumb.

I mean that the junk that goes on in my life just play through my brain. I do not focus on them, though, because that would just be dumb.
Just keep on keeping on. Nothing is attained without practice.
When I first started with real prayer, my mind would think of every bit of rubbish that was inside, from television to recipes, and what's for dinner tonight.
I printed on a piece of A4 paper the name JESUS and stuck it on the wall in my bedroom. So when my mind became like 50 channels of Foxtel, I would look at the name JESUS on the wall and bring my thoughts, my attention back to my Lord. It is a training exercise to help master your thoughts and bring your mind into submission to the task you are doing.
Now, every morning I can easily pray for half-an-hour in tongues and not be distracted by worldly thoughts.
Most of what has been written is about conversational prayer with the Lord; but there needs to also be timeout for real prayer, serious prayer that will bring about more unsubstantial responses from the Lord.
Remember the story of the widow who kept nagging the Judge for justice. She persisted in bothering him for a result. Jesus loves it when you come to him seeking help from the smallest of concerns (I prayed for my lost cat, Sahara, the other day) to great concerns like healing and salvation for others.
Pray for yourself, your heart and soul, your faith, for understanding, your school work.
Prayer for others, your family and particular people who have needs. Praying for others is often blessed.
Enjoy the testimonies I have posted on your page. Brodie is just a boy like you, and he already has a terrific healing testimony. :)

Just keep on keeping on. Nothing is attained without practice.
When I first started with real prayer, my mind would think of every bit of rubbish that was inside, from television to recipes, and what's for dinner tonight.
I printed on a piece of A4 paper the name JESUS and stuck it on the wall in my bedroom. So when my mind became like 50 channels of Foxtel, I would look at the name JESUS on the wall and bring my thoughts, my attention back to my Lord. It is a training exercise to help master your thoughts and bring your mind into submission to the task you are doing.
Now, every morning I can easily pray for half-an-hour in tongues and not be distracted by worldly thoughts.
Most of what has been written is about conversational prayer with the Lord; but there needs to also be timeout for real prayer, serious prayer that will bring about more unsubstantial responses from the Lord.
Remember the story of the widow who kept nagging the Judge for justice. She persisted in bothering him for a result. Jesus loves it when you come to him seeking help from the smallest of concerns (I prayed for my lost cat, Sahara, the other day) to great concerns like healing and salvation for others.
Pray for yourself, your heart and soul, your faith, for understanding, your school work.
Prayer for others, your family and particular people who have needs. Praying for others is often blessed.
Enjoy the testimonies I have posted on your page. Brodie is just a boy like you, and he already has a terrific healing testimony. :)
I can't wait to learn my own prayer language. It would make prayer better. Also, what do you do in your free time?

You do not LEARN to speak in tongues. It comes out of you on being baptized in the Holy spirit. It is instantaneous. Unbelievers claim it to be gibberish. But it is the language of God and the angels.
"For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries." 1Corinthians 14: 2 A spiritual language for spiritual people who are now part of the spiritual realm - The Kingdom Of God.
When reading your New testament you will read that converts spoke or speak in tongues - but this is a prayer language of the Spirit. You will also read that Christians are commanded to pray in the Spirit (pray in the Holy Ghost) = same thing, praying in tongues.
"How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts.
These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit.
But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life." Jude 1: 18-21

You do not LEARN to speak in tongues. It comes out of you on being baptized in the Holy spirit. It is instantaneous. Unbelievers claim it to be gibberish. But it is the language of God and the angels.
"For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries." 1Corinthians 14: 2 A spiritual language for spiritual people who are now part of the spiritual realm - The Kingdom Of God.
When reading your New testament you will read that converts spoke or speak in tongues - but this is a prayer language of the Spirit. You will also read that Christians are commanded to pray in the Spirit (pray in the Holy Ghost) = same thing, praying in tongues.
"How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts.
These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit.
But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life." Jude 1: 18-21
That sounds awesome.

Also, what do you do in your free time?
Free time is more for children and the very rich.
I have just turned 60 years of age this January. I have been widowed for about 20 years. I have been Spirit-filled with the Bible evidence of praying in tongues for 18 years now, since 1st December 1996. I start the day with half-an-hour of praying in tongues. I make my own espresso coffee, black with sugar.
I live with my three adult sons; Kerry, Dylan and Blake (who has autism). Along with two cats, two dogs, and three fish tanks of tropical freshwater fishes. Then there is the kitchen sink, the washing machine, the lawnmower, the garden (3/4 acre block), the animals, and my kids are always needing help with something or other. None of them are Spirit-filled, and I grieve for them.
Then there are Revival meetings Tuesday nights and Sunday afternoons. Preparing a Word talk when asked to do so. Bible reading...
Three days a week I volunteer my time at a local community centre.
And I spend time on the computer doing all manner of searching and reading; even chatting to a 12 year old on Christian Forum Site. (y)
I even manage to go to bed and get some much needed sleep. :sleep:

Back