What do you think the relationship should be for Christians between faith and knowledge?

So can faith really, anything taken too far can be in the wrong hands. Extremes should be avoided.

In that way faith i s the unseen power of God that works in and with the believer it as it is written reveals the face of God as the knowledge of God . Face to face or faith (the unseen ) to faith (the unseen) .The gospel

Romans1:15-17 So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also. For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

For me, knowledge is a collection of facts (true or assumed).
Processing those facts can either lead us away from God as we become more concerned with our thoughts and how we are handling those facts, or they can lead us to a greater appreciation of God.

The whole Bible is filled with wisdom IMHO. God reveals a great deal to us his children. Knowledge and faith work together. As we walk in faith we gain understanding of God's way. Through faith God's word is opened up to us so that we can understand and gain in knowledge. To separate the two makes no sense because they are tied together.
cp

So can faith really, anything taken too far can be in the wrong hands. Extremes should be avoided.

Chuck, I agree and see a beneficial connection in Wisdom, Knowledge and Faith in the Whole Bible. Between the three I blue-lighted, it speaks to me saying, test the spirit 1 John 4:1 and test Him and the teachers He has sent in Matthew 5:17-20 and John 7:18.

Why limit God? Instead, as Siloam shared, as we prayerfully gain knowledge and faith to work together gives a greater appreciation of God.

Be careful regarding "the extreme." Well said, Chris1. Knowledge can be impressive but are we forgetting the more important things, justice, mercy and faithfulness? Faith is wonderful but does it become a means of escapism, celebratory, manipulating "our faith agendas" on others?

Knowledge and faith do work together while God gives us guidance, insight to live out what we know.

don't know i never seen anything bad trust me i been in carm forum been called many names

I apologize but I've been unable to get online until now. So, please accept this late response with love and care..

Some online forums aren't good environments, however this one seems to really try for a peaceful place to discuss faith issues and encourage one another in Christ... It's why I've come back and decided to stay.

Know this: I'll never call you or anyone else names and I do try my best to take care of how I'm communicating my point...

you are free to always speak your mind and respond to my posts all you like - it's not discussion if we don't discuss!

God bless you....

To some degree, I expect that there probably isn't one universal way that's the most useful for thinking about faith and knowledge.

There's an interesting discussion of knowledge in 1 Cor 8:

Knowledge makes one conceited, but love edifies people. If anyone thinks that he knows anything, he has not yet known as he ought to know; but if anyone loves God, he is known by Him... For through your knowledge the one who is weak is ruined, the brother or sister for whose sake Christ died.

And later in 1 Cor 13:

...if there is knowledge, it will be done away with. For we know in part and prophesy in part; but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away with... For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully, just as I also have been fully known.

While the passage isn't really a discussion about a relationship between faith and knowledge, there is an element here where our knowledge is partial, and "when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away with," so for the "knowledge" we have now, "if there is knowledge, it will be done away with."

Because of my particular relationship with knowledge, I think the best way for me to think about all this is that I don't actually know anything at all. Not that I think that's the approach everyone should have. It's probably very helpful for some Christians to regard certain things as knowledge. For the people who end up acting in non-loving ways to others because of their knowledge, Paul's advice is to calm down with swinging around your knowledge like a hammer, because compared with what you don't know, it's really nothing special -- just be content that God knows you fully, and focus on loving people around you.

Anyway. This is a very useful message for people like me, for more than one reason.

The really fascinating thing to me about Paul's approach is that it actually makes a lot of sense that the answer to "what should be the relationship between faith and knowledge be for Christians" could be something like: Don't worry about it, God knows you fully, your faith and knowledge are partial, imperfect, and will both be done away with... so just love people. I'm not going to say that's the most useful way of thinking about this for every person... but for me, thinking about it this way is incredibly liberating, and frees me to love where I wouldn't otherwise be able to.

Back