What Does God Tell Us About Our Diet?

The point of the thread is just what I asked for. Verses dealing with our diet. I did not create it to create a discussion on gluttony.

And this when I talked of gluttony and you responded:

Do you have any scripture to back this up? That is really what I'm looking for.

You are saying that I have done no research. I have gathered almost 300 verses on the things I am looking for. You would be amazed at the

So what is really going on here?

Just wanted opinions? As you already went through nearly 300 verses, what more do you need?

And this when I talked of gluttony and you responded:
Are you saying that I should not respond if it isn't exactly what I was looking for in the intent of the thread?

So what is really going on here?

Just wanted opinions? As you already went through nearly 300 verses, what more do you need?
As I said above, I have gotten lots of information by asking the questions I have. I have gotten some verses that I needed and I have gotten some great insight.

Go look up zalal.

Just do it.

Zalal
1) to shake
2) to pour out, shake out
3) to be abject

You think it means to barf out your food, and then eat some more, and repeat? More likely, it means those who love to pour out food on their plane, and so end up eating too much. Just like drunkenness doesn't mean people who drink and then barf up the drink so they can drink some more, zalel isn't used to mean that people are barfing up food. Abusive drinkers drink too much. Abusive eaters eat to much.

Gluttony is self-evidently a sin. All immorality is a sin, all behavior which is harmful and not beneficial is immoral. Hedonistically devouring food to the point of heath problems is immoral and so is a sin.

Zalal
1) to shake
2) to pour out, shake out
3) to be abject

You think it means to barf out your food, and then eat some more, and repeat? More likely, it means those who love to pour out food on their plane, and so end up eating too much. Just like drunkenness doesn't mean people who drink and then barf up the drink so they can drink some more, zalel isn't used to mean that people are barfing up food. Abusive drinkers drink too much. Abusive eaters eat to much.

Gluttony is self-evidently a sin. All immorality is a sin, all behavior which is harmful and not beneficial is immoral. Hedonistically devouring food to the point of heath problems is immoral and so is a sin.

Wow, just wow.

That is NOT the context of zalal of gluttony and you know that.

1. to be worthless, be vile, be insignificant, be light
    1. (Qal)
      1. to be worthless, be insignificant

2. to make light of, squander, be lavish with
  2. to shake, tremble, quake

1. (Niphal) to shake, quake
It is clearly stating that people are wasting food. Which is what you do in the ancient way gluttons acted.

Why do you cherry pick the last, not even remotely contextual definition?

Wow, just wow.

That is NOT the context of zalal of gluttony and you know that.

1. to be worthless, be vile, be insignificant, be light
    1. (Qal)
      1. to be worthless, be insignificant

2. to make light of, squander, be lavish with
  2. to shake, tremble, quake
    1. (Niphal) to shake, quake
It is clearly stating that people are wasting food. Which is what you do in the ancient way gluttons acted.

Why do you cherry pick the last, not even remotely contextual definition?

The word "zalal" appears in the Bible 10 times, and not once does the context imply anything is being wasted. I'm not cherry picking, and you have no cherries to pick. But, the verse comparing zalal meat consumption with excessive drinking does by context tell us that gluttony is the correct translation, as all respected translators agree.

Proverbs isn't concerned with anorexia, but with shiftless people.

The word "zalal" appears in the Bible 10 times, and not once does the context imply anything is being wasted. I'm not cherry picking, and you have no cherries to pick. But, the verse comparing zalal meat consumption with excessive drinking does by context tell us that gluttony is the correct translation, as all respected translators agree.

Proverbs isn't concerned with anorexia, but with shiftless people.

And Gluttony is not anorexia.

Gluttony, the word, with the context of zalal.

You know it doesn't really matter anyway.

What are some things that the Bible says about how we should eat?
Why does almost every new thread on this site become a battle ground? It was not like this when I first joined. I admit thatr I may have joined between some major battles, fighting, bickering, name-calling...AND I have to admit that I called someone a false prophet today! But this junk is getting real old, and it's uncalled-for. And who am I to say so?

ANYWAY!

I do eat only kosher foods, but you know where those many Scriptures are, and you know what that means.

I ate very badly until I was 60. For my first 19 years, I ate next to nothing; after that, I added Pepsi to my diet and gained weight like crazy. Now, I can't point out Pepsi in the Bible, but I was putting it in this temple, and I got morbidly obese. NOT G-d's choice for His temple. Now, I am thin and have to watch to be sure I don't go under a certain weight, so sometimes I eat stuff others would not dare.

Today, I came near gluttony. (Someone already put those Scriptures up here, I believe.) Bought a wonderful sandwich for lunch: the ends of a loaf of bread, avocado, tomatoes, onions (my boss is on vacation), lettuce, Swiss, cucumbers, and smoked turkey. But there sits the last 1/10th on my desk, staring at me. I'm full. I already told my husband I would cook dinner for him but not for me. And still that 1/10th of a sandwich stares at me.

Almost gluttony, on the West Coast
Redwood Forest, Pacific diamonds,
Life is old here, older than the trees,
Younger than Mount Shasta, blowing like a breeze

101, take me home
To the place I belong
West Coast city, redwood momma,
Take me home, 101...

Why does almost every new thread on this site become a battle ground?

I had no expectation that anyone would challenge gluttony as something the Bible condemns.

I do eat only kosher foods, but you know where those many Scriptures are, and you know what that means.

Why do you eat kosher foods? Kosher foods in the OT were nothing but a ritual, explicitly ended in the NT, with no health benefit. That Pepsi that made you fat is kosher.

Weight control is simply eating fewer calories, of whatever out. But, eating healthy foods helps you avoid those overpowering cravings. Once again, kosher has nothing to do with healthy.

The prophet Daniel went on a diet, and the Bible remarks on its health benefits. Basically vegetarianism.

....Why do you eat kosher foods?
Why should I not eat kosher foods?
Kosher foods in the OT were nothing but a ritual, explicitly ended in the NT, with no health benefit.
You are mistaken. But that is not why I eat kosher.

Weight control is simply eating fewer calories, of whatever out. But, eating healthy foods helps you avoid those overpowering cravings.
Please pardon me for asking, but did you write this because you thought I did not know this?
Once again, kosher has nothing to do with healthy.
Once again, you are mistaken.

The prophet Daniel went on a diet, and the Bible remarks on its health benefits. Basically vegetarianism.
Please pardon me for asking, but did you write this because you thought I did not know this? It is confusing to me when people write obvious things, so please forgive me for asking.

Have you ever read "The Maker's Diet" by Jordan S. Rubin? It is a storehouse of wonderful information on how to eat as the Israelites did and the gains in health are amazing. We started out doing it, but the organic foods, including meat we had to buy just didn't match our budget, but it is tremendous. I was blessed by the reading of it, to know how and why God instructed His people to eat the way He wanted.

http://www.makers-diet.net/

Why should I not eat kosher foods?

You shouldn't eat kosher because it pointlessly restricts your diet and raises your grocery bill.

You are mistaken.

I said, "Kosher foods in the OT were [1]nothing but a ritual, [2]explicitly ended in the NT, [3]with no health benefit." As I'm right on all points and as you didn't even attempt to support your own statements, I have no clue which of these three points you think I'm mistaken about.

Please enlighten me, how is eating kosher healthier than not? I'm wondering if you even know what kosher means. Kosher has nothing to do with health, for the third time.

I also didn't see where you explained why you do eat kosher. Normally, when people do something, they have a reason, other than asking "why not?"

Have you ever read "The Maker's Diet" by Jordan S. Rubin? It is a storehouse of wonderful information on how to eat as the Israelites did and the gains in health are amazing. We started out doing it, but the organic foods, including meat we had to buy just didn't match our budget, but it is tremendous. I was blessed by the reading of it, to know how and why God instructed His people to eat the way He wanted.

http://www.makers-diet.net/
Yes -- excellent book that many from my synagogue purchased. It's basically the way my husband and I eat, but yes, it's hard on the budget. Also, I'm struggling right now with...being tired. :) Ya' know...trying to get on top of things. We both miss the great food right now, but I'll get better.

You shouldn't eat kosher because it pointlessly restricts your diet and raises your grocery bill.

I said, "Kosher foods in the OT were [1]nothing but a ritual, [2]explicitly ended in the NT, [3]with no health benefit." As I'm right on all points and as you didn't even attempt to support your own statements, I have no clue which of these three points you think I'm mistaken about.

Please enlighten me, how is eating kosher healthier than not? I'm wondering if you even know what kosher means. Kosher has nothing to do with health, for the third time.

I also didn't see where you explained why you do eat kosher. Normally, when people do something, they have a reason, other than asking "why not?"

OH, my! So now, I'm a liar? Believe what you want to about me -- that is certainly not important.

I don't think he was calling you a liar at all.
I'm noticing something about you. You are a sweetheart.

This is why I wrote that he calls me a liar: I mention eating kosher. He immediately comes back with the idea that I don't know what kosher means. In other words, I am making an unfounded claim. His opinion: I have lied about eating kosher foods.

I am just so sick of the bickering and have decided I will only be manipulated by it when I don't mind being manipulated. This time, I refuse to be manipulated by him. Sometimes, it bothers me, and sometimes it doesn't. It mainly depends upon who is manipulating or how they are asking the question.

Back