What Does God Tell Us About Our Diet?

I'm noticing something about you. You are a sweetheart.

This is why I wrote that he calls me a liar: I mention eating kosher. He immediately comes back with the idea that I don't know what kosher means. In other words, I am making an unfounded claim. His opinion: I have lied about eating kosher foods.

I am just so sick of the bickering and have decided I will only be manipulated by it when I don't mind being manipulated. This time, I refuse to be manipulated by him. Sometimes, it bothers me, and sometimes it doesn't. It mainly depends upon who is manipulating.
That's not calling you a liar. That is just trying to get an understanding of what and why. And, sharing what he knows. I really think you misread him.

Why do you eat them then? Just curious.
Now, this person -- I will answer.

I eat kosher foods because G-d told us what kosher foods are, told us to eat kosher foods, and never took it back, in spite of what I read among some people who, in my opinion, misconstrue the Scriptures to say He did. Bless those people, but I eat kosher because I believe I should, and there is absolutely no Scripture telling me a should not. My choice. Others have their choices.

Now, this person -- I will answer.

I eat kosher foods because G-d told us what kosher foods are, told us to eat kosher foods, and never took it back, in spite of what I read among some people who, in my opinion, misconstrue the Scriptures to say He did. Bless those people, but I eat kosher because I believe I should, and there is absolutely no Scripture telling me a should not. My choice. Others have their choices.

Ah I see.

I was wondering if it might be because of a dietary, quality or informational choice.

I know many koshered and halal foods are very specifically marked which is good for those with food tolerance issues.

I'm for whatever suits the purpose of cooking. I'm not against any food in its least processed state, even those that are classified GMO or non-organic.

Actually I'm anti-non-organic.

You shouldn't eat kosher because it pointlessly restricts your diet and raises your grocery bill.

I said, "Kosher foods in the OT were [1]nothing but a ritual, [2]explicitly ended in the NT, [3]with no health benefit." As I'm right on all points and as you didn't even attempt to support your own statements, I have no clue which of these three points you think I'm mistaken about.

Please enlighten me, how is eating kosher healthier than not? I'm wondering if you even know what kosher means. Kosher has nothing to do with health, for the third time.

I also didn't see where you explained why you do eat kosher. Normally, when people do something, they have a reason, other than asking "why not?"
Just read this somewhere else:

"Romans 14 shows us there is grace over the matter of foods...but that we are not to cause another to stumble if they feel they must remain under the OT food restrictions."

With 2 negative prefixes in one word, that reminds me of the word "irregardless".

I was examining that after I typed it.

No spell checking came up so no harm, no foul.

I suppose I could have said that I was contrary to the organic food movement. But then it doesn't draw the eye as well as multiple hyphenation does. ;)

The difference between what a literary fanatic would like to see and a marketing person would.

Ah I see.

I was wondering if it might be because of a dietary, quality or informational choice.

I know many koshered and halal foods are very specifically marked which is good for those with food tolerance issues.

I'm for whatever suits the purpose of cooking. I'm not against any food in its least processed state, even those that are classified GMO or non-organic.

Actually I'm anti-non-organic.
I eat biblically kosher foods, not always following traditionally kosher ideas. For example, the Scripture that says not to boil a kid in its mother's milk has all kinds of traditions added to it. The Bible is straight forward: eat this, don't eat that (because it is not food, no matter how much others may think it is). Don't boil a kid in its mother's milk has more to do with pagan practice than anything else. So I don't have two refrigerators, separate sets of dishes, two stoves, two kitchens, etc. One kitchen, and yes, we eat lasagna made with as many cheeses I can stuff in it, along with meat and lotsa vegies. Oh! And noodles!

I really like it when I can find koshered foods, and I look for them, but our diets are not restricted to what has been "koshered" by a rabbi. We eat what the Bible says is kosher. For some examples of what we won't eat: most marshmallows, gelatin, and Jell-o, because most have pork in them. Another thing: anything that is pink, orange, purple, or red: I read the ingredients, and Red 4 is always rejected. In fact, if coloring is added, other than plant color (beets, berries, etc for coloring), I don't buy them. Red 4 is from crunched-up bugs, and other coloring is also often from non-food items. Some foods even have human hair purposely added -- and/or animal hairs. The only way to truly avoid this is to eat fresh foods, but even then, well, our system is really messed up.

The Bible says not to eat blood. This is very difficult if one intends to eat meat, which we do.

This is why I wrote that he calls me a liar: I mention eating kosher. He immediately comes back with the idea that I don't know what kosher means. In other words, I am making an unfounded claim. His opinion: I have lied about eating kosher foods.

If you're feeling accused of being a liar, I haven't done it. I hadn't doubted your claim that you eat kosher. I just asked why you eat kosher and when you gave me a gibberish response, and decidedly didn't answer my simple and fair question, I offered that you don't know what "kosher" is (after I told you what kosher is and you inexplicably told me I was mistaken).

I am just so sick of the bickering and have decided I will only be manipulated by it when I don't mind being manipulated. This time, I refuse to be manipulated by him.

No manipulation. But you have an agitated mind <backing away slowly>...

I was examining that after I typed it.

No spell checking came up so no harm, no foul.

I suppose I could have said that I was contrary to the organic food movement. But then it doesn't draw the eye as well as multiple hyphenation does. ;)

The difference between what a literary fanatic would like to see and a marketing person would.
Well, I'm a math teacher and not an English teacher so I don't mind the improper grammar. I just notice the double negative. :D

As for marshmallows and gelatin. The veal or beef gelatin would do find, easily found or ordered online.

And you can make the marshmallows with the gelatin, pinch of salt, sugar and a mixer.

And they taste far better than the store bought. Also you can add flavours to them. Like a mint and cocoa one to add to a hot chocolate.

If you want individual marshmallows cut them after they firm up and toss in icing sugar (aka powdered sugar) or cornstarch to keep them separate. Though they don't last long unless you make a gross of them.

If you're feeling accused of being a liar, I haven't done it. I hadn't doubted your claim that you eat kosher. I just asked why you eat kosher and when you gave me a gibberish response, and decidedly didn't answer my simple and fair question, I offered that you don't know what "kosher" is (after I told you what kosher is and you inexplicably told me I was mistaken).

No manipulation. But you have an agitated mind <backing away slowly>...
You are probably right. I am agitated here lately. I dislike the accusations, name-calling, apparent bad attitudes, and rudeness, and I see you as one of the main instigators of this. If you are not, please prove it to me. Please tell me I am wrong. Please just try to be NICE!

I initially came here to get some questions answered; I have stayed here for the people I have "met" here and to have fun. I am too old to waste my time arguing, although I don't mind debating. Sometimes. I am even getting tired of that lately, although my husband and I still enjoy it...but that's different.

One of the things I have learned in two marriages is that language that means one thing to one person means something completely different to another. So please tell me you never intended to be rude, manipulative, etc., and I will believe you.

Further, you wrote that I
gave (you) a gibberish response
. No, I did not. You just didn't like what I said because I believe you to be purposely manipulative. Please, then, tell me you are not purposely manipulative, and I will believe you -- I will believe this is not your purpose.

Last edited:

Her post hinted that it was for dietary reasons, but turns out that she doesn't agree with the Gospels that Jesus has made all things clean (kosher), or with Acts that Peter was told by God to eat that which was formerly unclean, or with Paul saying that those who won't eat non-kosher foods are weak in spirit (and he called the teachings to avoid kosher food demonic). Or, that the point of kosher is that it represented symbolic separation, which God has done away with through Christ.

I think her evasive and accusatory posts to me resulted from a guilty conscience. She wasn't right in being evasive and accusatory, but she was smart enough not to attempt to drop on me that cow pie that God "told us to eat kosher foods, and never took it back".

If you're allergic to shellfish, crab is forbidden in kosher diets. But, it's easy enough to avoid shellfish without being kosher. Just don't buy crab. If you're allergic to wheat, wheat is kosher, so kosher is of no help. And, wheat is vastly harder to avoid than cab.

Kosher laws have nothing to do with concern for health or allergies.

You are probably right. I am agitated here lately. I dislike the accusations, name-calling, apparent bad attitudes, and rudeness, and I see you as one of the main instigators of this. If you are not, please prove it to me. Please tell me I am wrong. Please just try to be NICE!
I have also seen it myself and can understand your aggravation. I have been accused of things myself when all I was doing was trying to learn more about God/Jesus/The Bible and get insight to peoples ideas.

One of the things I have learned in two marriages is that language that mean one thing to one person means something completely different to another. So please tell me you never intended to be rude, manipulative, etc., and I will believe you.
This is VERY true. Also keep in mind that some of us(myself especially), aren't very good at writing. When I first started using forums like this it took me a while to realize it. I use sarcasm a lot but if you don't know me personally, you don't realize it so I had to learn to let people know when I was being sarcastic. Just for example.

Her post hinted that it was for dietary reasons,
Here, you made an assumption, then accused me. Your assumptions do not make something true. You are wrong. You are in error. If you are writing about my mentioning that I ate unhealthily until I was 60, we have had a kosher house since I was @ 51, when my husband said he was willing to live in a kosher house, and I jumped on that with joy. You see? EVEN YOU can be wrong.

but turns out that she doesn't agree with the Gospels that Jesus has made all things clean (kosher), or with Acts that Peter was told by God to eat that which was formerly unclean, or with Paul saying that those who won't eat non-kosher foods are weak in spirit (and he called the teachings to avoid kosher food demonic). Or, that the point of kosher is that it represented symbolic separation, which God has done away with through Christ.
Nice. I could write much here, but why bother.

I think her evasive and accusatory posts to me resulted from a guilty conscience. She wasn't right in being evasive and accusatory, but she was smart enough not to attempt to drop on me that cow pie that God "told us to eat kosher foods, and never took it back".
Okay, people. See that "guilty conscience" thing? That's him, not me. He accuses me of being guilty. This is a completely ignorant accusation. Again, I could write a lot more, but why bother?

If you're allergic to shellfish, crab is forbidden in kosher diets. But, it's easy enough to avoid shellfish without being kosher. Just don't buy crab. If you're allergic to wheat, wheat is kosher, so kosher is of no help. And, wheat is vastly harder to avoid than cab.

Kosher laws have nothing to do with concern for health or allergies.
Do you really think I am this stupid? Great. Go for it.

I wrote a post, giving you a way out of this whole thing -- a chance to show yourself a nice and decent person. I WANTED to believe you are not what you have apparently shown me so far, but as I am writing, you did not take that chance but wrote the post copied here instead.

I am still waiting. I am gullible enough to believe you. I desperately WANT to believe you are both nice and decent. I am SO TIRED of mean people!!!

On second thought, what I originally wrote here was probably insensitive and blithe considering the current intensity of the thread. Sorry.

Last edited:
As for marshmallows and gelatin. The veal or beef gelatin would do find, easily found or ordered online.

And you can make the marshmallows with the gelatin, pinch of salt, sugar and a mixer.

And they taste far better than the store bought. Also you can add flavours to them. Like a mint and cocoa one to add to a hot chocolate.

If you want individual marshmallows cut them after they firm up and toss in icing sugar (aka powdered sugar) or cornstarch to keep them separate. Though they don't last long unless you make a gross of them.
I'm sorry -- I just saw this. I am not a good cook. Maybe I should write that I've gotten lazy in my "old age." I don't like marshmallows, so I don't make them. Oh, I did make them when I was young, but not any longer. Occasionally, however, I will add a little marshmallow cream (it's easily found kosher) to my turkey milk (my first father-in-law's term for hot cocoa).

However...I'm thinking...I never before thought before of mint marshmallows....

Back