Senior Moderator
Secretary
Fellowship.

What is it?
How is it to be accomplished?
How do we know if we're doing it right?
What does the Bible say?
What does it mean?
What "kind" of fellowship does God approve of... or disapprove of?

Let's discuss it, learn, grow, and help each other. What does fellowship mean to you?

[1Jo 1:4-10 KJV] 4 And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full. 5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. 8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Fellowship.

What is it? I love to meet new people and people I already know and fellowship, to love and encourage them hoping to help uplift them.

How is it to be accomplished? I always hope during fellowship others will feel loved by me, the love that Jesus gives and an opportunity for me to pass it to others.

How do we know if we're doing it right? Well, I may give an unfavorable first time meet because not everyone is like each other. But I feel God sees my heart and hope He will help break down any first time barrier I may give.

What does the Bible say? One of my favorite scriptures is in Hebrews 10:24-25, 24 And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works,25 not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.

What does it mean? In Hebrews 10:24-25 means is we never know when Jesus is coming back so I strive to give my all in all each day, that one more person will come to Christ Jesus. We must remember that during and in between fellowship we all face struggles, so its vital to share our faith in fellowship to strengthen one another.

What "kind" of fellowship does God approve of... or disapprove of? God approves of our love to Him first as we pass our to love to one another. God does not approve of many things in our fellowship, but to name two is "holier than thou" or "super Christian" just because we have been saved longer. God loves a humble heart especially in fellowship.

Let's discuss it, learn, grow, and help each other. What does fellowship mean to you? Fellowship means everything to me, amen! I also want to learn and grow from reading others testimony from this topic.

God bless you and thank you, AtomicSnowflake, for starting your thread!

To me fellowship is meeting together to encourage one another, love one another and share in each others joy of salvation.

For many all these things can happen in a sunday morning service as well as worship which is like fellowship with God.
But it can also happen when two or three are gathered in His name. I'm not sure if the word fellowship can just be translated the same as friendship but it is similar. May have to look that up, but certainly is a relationship that can be like friendship.

bobinfaith and Lanolin
Thank you both for taking the time to reply.
I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on it, and what it means personally to each of you.
I think it is also a wonderful topic to think about, and do some Bible study on... which is what I've been doing the past few days.
(I have much to say about it, but will probably wait until I get my laptop out of the shop. It's much easier to write with than an android table... lol)

Hebrews 10:24-25, 24 And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works,25 not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.
And...
To me fellowship is meeting together to encourage one another, love one another and share in each others joy of salvation.

Very well said.. it also seems that you both had the same answer!! That's beattiful.
God bless you both, and again, thank you for the replies :)

This is an excellent topic.

Fellowship is more than friendship because it also involves strangers. When we gather together in a building, on the internet, or other place as Christians, we have opportunity to edify or build one another up.

Fellowship can mean bringing comfort to someone in need, it can mean sharing a meal, it can involve a great many situations. It's an opportunity to share love and faith. Love and faith take on many forms.

Sharing is giving of ourselves in some manner, it can be things, it can be ideas, it can simply be sharing experiences. Isn't wonderful that God allows and makes possible for us to share in such a great number of ways especially today.

cp

For many all these things can happen in a sunday morning service as well as worship which is like fellowship with God.
But it can also happen when two or three are gathered in His name. I'm not sure if the word fellowship can just be translated the same as friendship but it is similar. May have to look that up, but certainly is a relationship that can be like friendship.

I always thought there were 2 different reasons the Bible talks about fellowship; first to gather and give praise, worship and prayers to God. But also for our own benefit; we need the companionship of other Christians. This second part I always associate with St Paul who admonishes us not to forsake gathering together

I always thought there were 2 different reasons the Bible talks about fellowship; first to gather and give praise, worship and prayers to God. But also for our own benefit; we need the companionship of other Christians. This second part I always associate with St Paul who admonishes us not to forsake gathering together
Well see, I’m learning more day by day.
I thought fellowship was just about companionship and sharing.
But it makes sense what you say, that we fellowship in order to praise and worship too.

Well see, I’m learning more day by day.
I thought fellowship was just about companionship and sharing.
But it makes sense what you say, that we fellowship in order to praise and worship too.

Were also told to love the brethren. Fellowship is a way to act in love. So companionship and sharing are part of love. We are also told not to have respect of persons and sometimes I think we ignore certain people who may be the very ones that need fellowship the most.

cp

Were also told to love the brethren. Fellowship is a way to act in love. So companionship and sharing are part of love. We are also told not to have respect of persons and sometimes I think we ignore certain people who may be the very ones that need fellowship the most.

cp
What do you mean not to have respect of persons?
I don’t get that one sorry.

Respect of persons

Is when we give preference to someone because of anything. Treating someone different based on money, power, influence, looks, or many other factors. In the world its natural to give greater respect to the millionaire rather the homeless person that walks in. The same can be said of many other traits the world shows higher respect for.

cp

Respect of persons

Is when we give preference to someone because of anything. Treating someone different based on money, power, influence, looks, or many other factors. In the world its natural to give greater respect to the millionaire rather the homeless person that walks in. The same can be said of many other traits the world shows higher respect for.

cp
oh I see.

now, while we are at it...( on this respecter of persons thing)
there are just some people I really cannot stand.
there are the kind of people I usually end up around in my life one way or another, and I want to avoid them at all cost.

should then, this be part of my fellowship?
I know I am to pray, for God to help me in some way toward these people,
but I can't help avoiding them.after all, they are not christians.
what does the bible say about fellowshipping with such people/

oh I see.

there are the kind of people I usually end up around in my life one way or another, and I want to avoid them at all cost.

I would pray about something like this. Ask God to help you to understand his will in the matter. There are some people that might be wolves in sheep's clothing and it might be unwise to get involved with them. You want to also look at why you feel this way. Something like this is very much between you and God. Sometimes speaking to an elder or minister in private about it might be wise.

cp

cp

What do you mean not to have respect of persons?
I don’t get that one sorry.

Respect of persons

cp

oh I see.

Hello Chuck and Via;

Romans 2:11 is referring to God, 11 For there is no respect of persons with God - KJV. In the NIV verse 11 the translation reads, 11 For God does not show favoritism - NIV

Verse 11 is God's call as He searches the heart of each one of us. I cannot just be a good talker, convincer or salesman to God because He can see right through me. Yikes!

From another angle, respect is a virtue of higher standard amongst the fellowship of Christian brothers and sisters.

As far as
people we cannot stand, please don't grieve the Holy Spirit, instead, take the opportunity to please God by confessing to Him if we hold bitterness toward another and forgive them. Yes, it's hard!, and God knows it. But what matters is we choose to forgive and love one another. God will honor your sacrifice to Him for this.

Please read and meditate on Ephesians 4:30-32, 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31 Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. 32 Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you - ESV

I hope this helps.

God bless you all and your families.

Hello Chuck and Via;

Romans 2:11 is referring to God, 11 For there is no respect of persons with God - KJV. In the NIV verse 11 the translation reads, 11 For God does not show favoritism - NIV

Verse 11 is God's call as He searches the heart of each one of us. I cannot just be a good talker, convincer or salesman to God because He can see right through me. Yikes!

From another angle, respect is a virtue of higher standard amongst the fellowship of Christian brothers and sisters.

As far as
people we cannot stand, please don't grieve the Holy Spirit, instead, take the opportunity to please God by confessing to Him if we hold bitterness toward another and forgive them. Yes, it's hard!, and God knows it. But what matters is we choose to forgive and love one another. God will honor your sacrifice to Him for this.

Please read and meditate on Ephesians 4:30-32, 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31 Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. 32 Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you - ESV

I hope this helps.

God bless you all and your families.

I agree. Sometimes though we run across someone that is not really Christian and has ulterior motives. Being a good witness, forgiving and otherwise behaving as a Christian is what God desires. Sometimes though it might be unwise especially for a young believer to spend time with someone that is basically worldly.

Good discernment, wisdom and love can take time as God works with each of us differently. Seeking advice might be wise in this case because we might see that the situation is not as we thought.

cp

I agree. Sometimes though we run across someone that is not really Christian and has ulterior motives. Being a good witness, forgiving and otherwise behaving as a Christian is what God desires. Sometimes though it might be unwise especially for a young believer to spend time with someone that is basically worldly.

Good discernment, wisdom and love can take time as God works with each of us differently. Seeking advice might be wise in this case because we might see that the situation is not as we thought.

cp

Hey Chuck;

I'm a soccer fan and was watching an interview of an athlete that supports the political party opposite of me. I cannot describe it but the interview really touched me and I felt ministered to. I went into confession and repented to God of my anger toward that opposing party within our national political leaders.

This morning I felt a release and am going to continue praying my issue daily. What can I do going forward as a Christian in our country?

God bless you, brother, and your family.

Hey Chuck;

I'm a soccer fan and was watching an interview of an athlete that supports the political party opposite of me. I cannot describe it but the interview really touched me and I felt ministered to. I went into confession and repented to God of my anger toward that opposing party within our national political leaders.

This morning I felt a release and am going to continue praying my issue daily. What can I do going forward as a Christian in our country?

God bless you, brother, and your family.

There are so many ways each of us show mild to strong hatred. I find that I have to even watch myself when watching a movie. In the movie someone may be victimized and it is easy find yourself angry and even feeling a hatred for the one doing harm. I catch myself sometimes in this emotion and have to remind myself that even in an imaginary situation this is not love.

Disagreeing in love is a hard concept for us flesh and blood individuals. Politics is often charged regardless of which side someone is on in a debate.

Thankfully we can come to God regularly and ask forgiveness. I know that I need that forgiveness.

This morning I read shortly before reading this post a part of the Lord's prayer we sometimes lose sight of:

Matthew 6:12
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.(KJV)

Perhaps God was trying to tell both of us something. :) :eek:

cp

Back