What does God view as fellowship?

What is it? Definition of fellowship by Webster's Definition is:
1: COMPANIONSHIP, COMPANY looking for the fellowship of friendly people
2a: community of interest, activity, feeling, or experience their fellowship in crime— A. J. Ayer
b: the state of being a fellow or associate
3: a company of equals or friends : ASSOCIATION a youth fellowship
4: the quality or state of being comradely meaningful communication for building trust and fellowship

How is it to be accomplished? Fellowship to me is a relationship more than an action. It is shared through the common bonds of faith in Jesus Christ. Fellowship should be encouraging and developmental in nature.
How do we know if we're doing it right? Not sure we can do fellowship, at least not by my definition. We can know if we have fellowship with someone or a group by feeling refreshed by your experiences with them and anticipate the next time of fellowship.
What does the Bible say? Proverbs 27:17 says that "iron sharpens iron" and "one person sharpens another". Thessalonians 5:11 and Hebrews 10:25 indicates that encouragement and building one another up are indicative of fellowship. Whereas, 1 John 1:7 describes fellowship as walking together in the Light. I don't believe non-believers can truly have fellowship because they do not have a common unifier. They may like a certain thing or need a certain thing but there isn't an entity which can unify or solidify a relationship without Jesus Christ because He is peace.
What does it mean? Having indicated my convictions thus far I would restate the previous as pertaining also to this question.
What "kind" of fellowship does God approve of... or disapprove of? Having stated my convictions thus far I would assert that the only fellowship that God approves of is the fellowship of believers in an attempt to better serve Him and unifying in the faith. He doesn't necessarily disapprove, per-say, of non-believers' "fellowship" but, instead, wouldn't regard it at all. Kind of like marriage of non-believers. If it is done but not done for Him then it is in vain and is irrelevant.
Let's discuss it, learn, grow, and help each other. Agreed.

oh I see.

now, while we are at it...( on this respecter of persons thing)
there are just some people I really cannot stand.
there are the kind of people I usually end up around in my life one way or another, and I want to avoid them at all cost.

should then, this be part of my fellowship?
I know I am to pray, for God to help me in some way toward these people,
but I can't help avoiding them.after all, they are not christians.
what does the bible say about fellowshipping with such people/
Very common I would think. All good advice in previous replies. God tells us to love our enemies and pray for them. But he does not tell us to engage in toxic relationships or cultivate friendships with people that may be harmful to us. Sometimes we have to love them and pray from afar.

How is it to be accomplished? Fellowship to me is a relationship more than an action. It is shared through the common bonds of faith in Jesus Christ. Fellowship should be encouraging and developmental in nature.
I don't believe non-believers can truly have fellowship because they do not have a common unifier. They may like a certain thing or need a certain thing but there isn't an entity which can unify or solidify a relationship without Jesus Christ because He is peace.

Let's discuss it, learn, grow, and help each other. Agreed.

Hello Nazarene Servant;

Excellent post and what speaks to me is "fellowship to me is a relationship more than an action."

A Christian relationship with a brother or sister believer is being able to discuss in love, especially in disagreements. I feel those who love me have disagreed with me, plenty of times! This gives me the opportunity to step back, pray and seek what God says. When I'm wrong, go back to my brother or sister and stand corrected. This reveals God's glory, the fellowship and bond is strengthened and becomes a win-win.

God bless you, Nazarene and your family.

...there isn't an entity which can unify or solidify a relationship without Jesus Christ...

.... and that is the point. :)

Thank you for a very thoughtful and thorough response. I had asked the question in order to help point out that "fellowship" is much more than simply just meeting up with each other in a building or at a function. This is the point that we all should keep in mind. Without Christ, we cannot be united in fellowship with God. Without Christ, we are separated from God.

Back