What does it mean rightly dividing the word of God?

Daniels

Inactive

I think it is referring to time as in what was prophesied and what was past.

We must not separate what God has joined, as the "Word of God" and the "Spirit of God," nor join what He has separated as Baptism and Regeneration, Law and Grace, the Church and the Kingdom.

Rightly Dividing the Word
Dispensationalism is rightly dividing the word of truth. 2Timothy 2:15 says, “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.†This verse teaches that we must study God’s word in order to be approved by Him as a workman. And His word must be rightly divided. Specifically, God is talking to preachers but it applies to all believers. If you do not rightly divide the word you will wrongly interpret it.
What does it mean to rightly divide the word of truth? First, this statement tells us that there are divisions that must be made in scripture if we are to understand God’s truth. That is the essence of dispensationalism. But this act of dividing scripture must be done rightly. That means that it can be done wrongly. We must be very careful to rightly divide God’s word lest we wrongly divide it.
Consider also the exact grammar of the command. There is a reason God said rightly dividing the word instead of finding right division. The word dividing is a verb in the active tense and the word rightly is an adverb that describes the way in which the word should be divided. Rightly dividing is dynamic. It is an active work requiring the active assistance of the Holy Spirit. God must give you the wisdom to rightly divide His word. Rightly dividing the word is the work of spiritual men and women. It is a spiritual art.
http://www.learnthebible.org/dispensationalism001_need.htm

This is along the lines as the other posts {something I copied from my introduction.}

The Word of God is self-interruptive. When we look at the scripture from II Timothy 2:15 it says. Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
No place in the written Word of God does it state that we should interpret the Word, it simple states that as workman of the Word, we should rightly divide it.
The word rightly divide is translated from the one Greek word orthotomounta, orthos means “perfectly right†or “perfectly straight†temno means “to cutâ€. This word orthotomounta in the KJV literally means “a perfectly right cutting†Its intricate nuance of meaning is that there is only one way to rightly cut the Word, all other ways are wrong

If you visited one of the other forums I go to you would understand this in a whole new light!
Correctly dividing the Word, means, I believe to look at it under the guidance of the Holy Spirit taking into account whom and where it was written to, and the application for us today.
Too many people put their own personal spin on it, based on their experience or lack of it, instead or seeing what God intended.

God's Word is a living thing and has a valid message for every indiviual and every season of each persons life- the important thing to remember is that God gave us His Holy Spirit to teach us His Word- to divide rightly is to :
orthotomeō
or-thot-om-eh'-o
From a compound of G3717 and the base of G5114; to make a straight cut, that is, (figuratively) to dissect (expound) correctly (the divine message): - rightly divide.
We are to examine God's Word in detail and the Holy Spirit will give revelation as we seek and ask- this is what He does- revealing Jesus to us, showing us the Father's heart.
The words of Jesus were different tna those of the pharisee's- why? They were taken from the same text but Jesus knew and understood the Father's heart- I leave you with this scripture:
2Co 3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

If you visited one of the other forums I go to you would understand this in a whole new light!
Correctly dividing the Word, means, I believe to look at it under the guidance of the Holy Spirit taking into account whom and where it was written to, and the application for us today.
Too many people put their own personal spin on it, based on their experience or lack of it, instead or seeing what God intended.

Well said, Jax :) I will right it down with your permission of course, and tell that to someone in my family that also tear that scripture apart. Thanks!

Back