What does it mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry... I should have thought through my post... I forgot to add that I am well aware that as a leader of a church... any kind of immorality or addiction would lead to that person STEPPING down from their position. That is a no BRAINER.

I am also aware that those going for pre-marital counselling would be EXPECTED to be living apart... and not engaging in sinful lifestyle... within the confines of church membership.
I have heard of ministers REFUSING to marry young people who are living together. I get that.

Those are the BIG issues... What I am not clear on is where does correction END? What kind of things should a person in a church expect to be corrected about?? Am I making sense here. This is a sincere and legitimate question.

I am off for the night... I think this thread has played out it's lifespan.

For those who have gotten to know me over these last months... I think it is clear that I am a born again... sold out... totally in love with JESUS little lamb.

Because I am NOT churched... and have never been churched... I have only seen Catholicism and legalism play out in my lifetime.
I am quite sure that I am NOT properly understanding the term CORRECTION within the confines of the church. I have heard horror stories of people having to stand in FRONT of the congregation to confess some sort of sin or another.

The above to state that I have a really BAD taste in my mouth regarding "correction".

Anyways... I will let this thread close itself. I don't think this is a topic I am going to understand any time soon. HA.

Thanks to those who participated.

Ok... so a person who is "claiming" to be a Christian and living in a sinful lifestyle is to be SHUNNED???
Those who have given into progressive Christianity are to be thrown to the curb??

I get that many do not want correction from others... I will put myself in that category because I know when I have sinned so I don't need HOLIER than THOU...NOSEY NELLIE pointing her fingers at me.

I'm still not clear on what issues Christians are to correct one another on??

Scripture gives to us instruction on how to handle such:

Matthew 18:15-17
15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
16 But if he will not hear [thee, then] take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell [it] unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

There comes a point when we must cast them out of the fellowship. That may seem harsh to some, but the reaction they have to you as the individual who comes to confront them, that says much. What is even more telling is how they respond to two or three others as witnesses, and then to the entire fellowship. If they are so far gone so as to shun the entire fellowship, then their shame and sin is on their own heads, and they will either harden their hearts against all others, or they will come to their senses and repent, in which case you have won a brother or sister back in Christ.

Granted, we could invent all manner of rabbit holes of hypotheticals, but the above verses give to us a foundational means by which to handle those who fall into sin.

MM

I am off for the night... I think this thread has played out it's lifespan.

For those who have gotten to know me over these last months... I think it is clear that I am a born again... sold out... totally in love with JESUS little lamb.

Because I am NOT churched... and have never been churched... I have only seen Catholicism and legalism play out in my lifetime.
I am quite sure that I am NOT properly understanding the term CORRECTION within the confines of the church. I have heard horror stories of people having to stand in FRONT of the congregation to confess some sort of sin or another.

The above to state that I have a really BAD taste in my mouth regarding "correction".

Anyways... I will let this thread close itself. I don't think this is a topic I am going to understand any time soon. HA.

Thanks to those who participated.

That all depends on the particulars of a given situation. where it's true that many who are "shacked up" do not have a marital commitment to one another before the Lord, and therefore are not married in the eyes of God. A piece of paper from City Hall doesn't make people married, and neither do ceremonies, so if we see ourselves as authorities to declare a couple to be living in sin because they don't have that piece of paper from City Hall, and did not have a preacher declare them "husband and wife" by way of some ceremony.

One should first speak with the couple, because I once knew an elder who attended a Southern Baptist church many years ago, and who did not have the state issued certificate for his marriage to his wife. I knew well their commitment to one another, and so had no fear of them being in that crowd of "shackers."

What happened is that some of the gossipers in his church found out he and his wife didn't have a state issued certificate for their marriage, even though they were under Common Law in that state. So, it was becoming a big deal to those people in his church. When he counseled with me about it, I recommended that he and his wife go ahead and get that piece of paper, show it to the gossipers in hic church, and they should be satisfied. They got the paper, showed it to the congregation, and everyone was on to the next person to gossip about and all was well with him and his wife. The only thing the gossipers didn't like was not getting an over-priced piece of cake and some free booze!

So, getting into the shoes of the one we think is sinning, we must always try to glean an understanding of all the underlying parameters behind the sin story...if there is ANY sin truly involved. If correction is in order, then that too must be carefully gauged to ensure we're traversing the right avenues PLUS seeking the Lord for His perfect wisdom. The unspiritual will always gravitate toward creating a huge ruckus to help them feel as though they are more important than they really are. Spiritual giants know how to NOT apply the full force of power behind one's pride and abilities to cause a stir.

I hope that helps.

MM

I'm still not clear on what issues Christians are to correct one another on??
i seriously doubt you ever will be . each case is different and every one has there own way . if they are truly saved the Holy spirit will correct . i dont want sound rude although i been accused of it. your never going to find your answer . in
Galatians 6
Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

2Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.

3For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself.

4But let every man prove his own work, and then shall he have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another.

5For every man shall bear his own burden.

6Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things.

7Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

8For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

9And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

10As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.

proverbs 6
These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:

17A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,

18An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,

19A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

read your bible for the answer

I am NOT properly understanding the term CORRECTION within the confines of the church. I have heard horror stories of people having to stand in FRONT of the congregation to confess some sort of sin or another.
your correct on not properly understanding good time to study it out. the horror stories iam sure there are but true correction is not a horror story

Thank you for all the responses... I was not trying to be STUBBORN. I will sit and read the scriptures that were provided for me here and will ask the Lord to speak to my heart.

forgiven61 .... I especially appreciate your input here because I feel I have gotten to know you a bit better.

To be honest... If I was thinking of going to church... at this point... I would decide against it. If I am not willing to make myself submit to the authority that is apparently over me... then there doesn't seem to be a point.

The Lord has been most gracious to me... and I have learned everything on my OWN... at 61 years old... I don't think I would ever get to a place of remotely trusting others. That is the product of my life experiences.

These forums are as close to a church as I am going to get.

It wasn't my aim to offend here, so I will bow out so that the thread doesn't have to be shut down.
My Dear brother.....You did NOT in the least offend me!!! NO one has offended me in this thread.

I am WRESTLING with the Lord regarding this issue. If you read my latest post in the Garage... you might glean a bit more about my heart.

God bless you... I simply asked for this thread to be closed because I need to get QUIET and study the WORD.

In Awe of Him - - - Thread can be reopened at any time by simply PM-ing any active staff member.

The thread has no issues - the OP simply wants to catch up on reading and studies before the thread continues.

Thank you and have good studies.
🙂

Blessings.

`

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back