What Exactly Is Lust?

Do we have to be asexual until marriage?

• Yes.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No. You misunderstood this.

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
Are sexual desire, sexual fantasies, and sexual attraction lust, or not? I heard that those 3 are not lust, because I heard that lust is when you try to make those things come true. And I heard that Jesus said to married men not to fantasize about a woman who is not their own wife... And now they say that lust is illicit or uncontrolled sexual desire...

Do I have to be ASEXUAL until marriage? Remember that God created sexual drive for people so people would be able to get married and reproduce. If God didn't create sexual drive, we humans would face extinction.

And since I am young, I have these hormone storms that cause me sexual arousal and desire. Especially during the days when I get the period... I just can't become asexual... I would have to get clinical depression to become asexual.

Also, if a child gets born before marriage, does that child have a soul?

You are a sexual being, you cannot become "asexual" any more than you can become "un-human".
You are to be celibate until marriage, and that includes no masturbation.

The differences between lust and desire are subtle. About the easiest way to explain is an example.
Say, for instance that you like pie. Key lime pie is your favorite and you are always happy with key lime pie. That is desire.
Another person also likes pie, but he wants every pie, every day, 5 times a day, he thinks about pie constantly, and can't get enough pie regardless of how often he eats. This is lust.
Lust is the beast that cannot be fed, for as soon as lust has had it's fill, it hungers again.

You are a sexual being, you cannot become "asexual" any more than you can become "un-human".
You are to be celibate until marriage, and that includes no masturbation.

The differences between lust and desire are subtle. About the easiest way to explain is an example.
Say, for instance that you like pie. Key lime pie is your favorite and you are always happy with key lime pie. That is desire.
Another person also likes pie, but he wants every pie, every day, 5 times a day, he thinks about pie constantly, and can't get enough pie regardless of how often he eats. This is lust.
Lust is the beast that cannot be fed, for as soon as lust has had it's fill, it hungers again.
Lust is addiction?

Religions, especially Christianity, separate the definition of passion and lust by further categorizing lust as type of passion for something that does not belong to oneself, therefore being morally wrong. While passion for proper purposes is maintained as something God given and moral.

Wikipedia

Lust can be like an addiction, more of an emotional dependence than the physical dependence you see in addictions like smoking or heroin.

Is desire the same thing as lust? If so then the correct answer would be desire gives birth to sin, but I suppose it is not yet sin, according to the following verse:

"but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death."

Sexual repression either by your own will or by a doctrine is extremely dangerous. You only need to look at how women are treated in the middle east to see this, Egypt is a very good example currently. These men are repressed by their culture and their horrific actions towards women that are not covered are testament to that.

I'm not advocating we all wander the streets in a sexual free for all. It's natural to have these thoughts, accepting them and not thinking it's bad is very important.

Sexual repression either by your own will or by a doctrine is extremely dangerous. You only need to look at how women are treated in the middle east to see this, Egypt is a very good example currently. These men are repressed by their culture and their horrific actions towards women that are not covered are testament to that.

I'm not advocating we all wander the streets in a sexual free for all. It's natural to have these thoughts, accepting them and not thinking it's bad is very important.
Yeah... God created sexual feelings for people, so people would be able to reproduce...

You believe sexual repression is the reason of the culture in regards to women in the middle east?

Back