What God is like

Character in action
Lisa Scheffler, author
What makes someone a “good person”? Since we can’t see into someone’s heart, we have to base our
assessment on what we can see. Like the proverbial tree falling in the forest (that may or may not make
a sound), we can only recognize goodness when there is someone who is impacted by it. I can walk
around announcing that I’m a good person, but unless you see me acting with kindness, compassion
or love toward someone else, you may not believe me. We witness good character when it is lived out
in relationships.

God tells us in his Word who he is, but he backs it up by what he does. The reason we can boast in our
Lord is because he has demonstrated his goodness over and over again. He shows us his character in
action. The more we know and experience God, the more apparent these qualities will be.
Today we will wrap up our exploration of Jeremiah 9:23–24, and when you hear the last part of verse
24 explained, you will be even more grateful to our great God.

Jeremiah 9:24b

This is what the LORD says: “Let not the wise boast of their wisdom or the strong boast of their
strength or the rich boast of their riches,

but let the one who boasts boast about this: that they have the understanding to know me,
that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight,” declares the LORD.

What three characteristics does God say he delights in exercising? Define each one as you
understand them now.

Character in action
Lisa Scheffler, author
What makes someone a “good person”? Since we can’t see into someone’s heart, we have to base our
assessment on what we can see. Like the proverbial tree falling in the forest (that may or may not make
a sound), we can only recognize goodness when there is someone who is impacted by it. I can walk
around announcing that I’m a good person, but unless you see me acting with kindness, compassion
or love toward someone else, you may not believe me. We witness good character when it is lived out
in relationships.

God tells us in his Word who he is, but he backs it up by what he does. The reason we can boast in our
Lord is because he has demonstrated his goodness over and over again. He shows us his character in
action. The more we know and experience God, the more apparent these qualities will be.
Today we will wrap up our exploration of Jeremiah 9:23–24, and when you hear the last part of verse
24 explained, you will be even more grateful to our great God.

Jeremiah 9:24b

This is what the LORD says: “Let not the wise boast of their wisdom or the strong boast of their
strength or the rich boast of their riches,

but let the one who boasts boast about this: that they have the understanding to know me,
that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight,” declares the LORD.

What three characteristics does God say he delights in exercising? Define each one as you
understand them now.

Chriss.....If we want to know what God is like, we need to look at and consider the actions of Jesus while on the earth.

He is completely beyond our comprehension.

St. Augustine had been contemplating writing a book about the Holy Spirit.
He went out for a walk along the beach. While out by the surf he noticed a child digging a small hole
in the sand and then cupping his hands in the ocean and taking the water to dump it in his hole.
St. Augustine asked the child what he was doing and the child replied that he was going to put the ocean in his hole.
St. Augustine told the boy "you can't put the ocean in that hole", to which the child replied "and neither can you put the Holy Spirit in a book", and then the child disappeared. Understanding the lesson, St. Augustine never wrote the book.

Greetings:
From Rev 22:2,obviously an arborist.I hope peaches are on the lower limbs,I'm crazy about peaches.
Apple can be on top,I had an enough of those.

bye

We cannot grasp how great God is but God does certainly wants us to grasp with all we are how good He is Eph 3:17-19 17 that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height— 19 to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

God wants us to be filled to capacity with trust / faith / knowledge of the love Christ / God's goodness.

What is God like

God is the bright morning star Rev 22:16. Imagine a sun burning with goodness. No evil thoughts, intentions, deeds or whispers of anything evil exist on it.

We make many assumptions about God. Especially when we entertain the ideas of His omniscience and omnipotence. But God is clear in scripture / all the evidence points to a God that is exceedingly good beyond our understanding. Meaning any assumptions of God being evil, are bad assumptions.

We cannot grasp how great God is but God does certainly wants us to grasp with all we are how good He is Eph 3:17-19 17 that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height— 19 to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

God wants us to be filled to capacity with trust / faith / knowledge of the love Christ / God's goodness.

God is the bright morning star Rev 22:16. Imagine a sun burning with goodness. No evil thoughts, intentions, deeds or whispers of anything evil exist on it.

We make many assumptions about God. Especially when we entertain the ideas of His omniscience and omnipotence. But God is clear in scripture / all the evidence points to a God that is exceedingly good beyond our understanding. Meaning any assumptions of God being evil, are bad assumptions.

What is more disturbing? We are like God, exactly like him. Same emotions, same stages of anger, same. Jesus said you seen me, you have seen the Father. John said even as Jesus is, so are we in the World.

So, does it give me greater comfort to think of God my Father as some mysterious and mavolent being who knows everything, than to look at myself knowing He made me like him and see how far I have to go?

Jesus said be ye perfect as your Father is perfect. Pretty tall order Jesus, but wait, He made me like him... I think I feel more comfortable thinking God is God, and me just a puny human.

just saying.

He is completely beyond our comprehension.

St. Augustine had been contemplating writing a book about the Holy Spirit.
He went out for a walk along the beach. While out by the surf he noticed a child digging a small hole
in the sand and then cupping his hands in the ocean and taking the water to dump it in his hole.
St. Augustine asked the child what he was doing and the child replied that he was going to put the ocean in his hole.
St. Augustine told the boy "you can't put the ocean in that hole", to which the child replied "and neither can you put the Holy Spirit in a book", and then the child disappeared. Understanding the lesson, St. Augustine never wrote the book.
Good story.

1 Cor 2:16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ

John 14:7 10 ...... 7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.

8Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us. 9Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? 10Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works

The God of the Bible declares that He’s the creator, He’s the all-knowing one, and He’s all-powerful. God isn’t what we want Him to be and He isn’t just a power that lives inside of everyone. If we really want to know the character of God, we need to look at who is Jesus. He told the disciples, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.” (John 14:6)
Therefore, if we really want to know the character of God, first we need to observe Jesus’ behavior and actions and listen to His words.

The God of the Bible declares that He’s the creator, He’s the all-knowing one, and He’s all-powerful. God isn’t what we want Him to be and He isn’t just a power that lives inside of everyone. If we really want to know the character of God, we need to look at who is Jesus. He told the disciples, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.” (John 14:6)
Therefore, if we really want to know the character of God, first we need to observe Jesus’ behavior and actions and listen to His words.

And what were His behavior and actions?

3rdangelstruth.freeforums.net
I just started this forum. If you want to study to the word of God come join and ket us discover truth together

Reach for a Bible. That is God speaking to you through words...this will show you His true identity and how awesome He is.

God is awesome.
Your Bible will fully explain how great God is.
I don't think there is a good enough adjective to describe what God is like.

On one hand, it's easy to answer but too difficult to truly understand. On the other hand, it's too difficult to answer but so easy to grasp when you know Him.

What makes someone a "good person." It's no secret that no one is good, meaning goodness can never come directly from us as only goodness comes from God. However, we can reflect that goodness. When it's a full moon and we see moonlight, we know it's not really coming from the moon -- it's a reflection from the sun -- but it's still beautiful when we see it.

Lucifer was angry because he was the light bearer. and felt he deserved to be looked at as the light itself. We should all strive to be what Lucifer rejected being -- light bearers.

Someone who doesn't know God -- let's say an atheist in fact -- can do something that reflects goodness. In fact, he can do it for very pure reasons. If he saw someone fall down and get hurt, he might rush to that person and help him, not because he wants the attention or some sort of reward, but because he actually cared enough to help a fellow human being. The only thing with the atheist in this scenario is that while he might know morality, he can't justify where it comes from and why it's important to be moral...he just knows it's important to be moral.

When we say Fish of Faith is a good guy, we don't mean he is where goodness comes from -- we mean he knows what is good and practices is. When we say that God is good, we literally mean He is where goodness comes from -- goodness is His default. When we say God is love, we mean that love is God's default. This is why God cannot be evil. If He were evil, it would be a self-defeating principle. You can't both exist and not exist.

I haven't even come close to explaining what God is like.

Would the Lord God create a being without the capacity to not fully know his own Father? We are his offspring and born again of the incorruptible seed of the Word of God. The scripture has already been mentioned where it says....

Eph 3:16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;
Eph 3:17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
Eph 3:18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
Eph 3:19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

The love of Christ is God!!! The word "comprehend" means "To lay hold of, seize, with eagerness, to understand, and or to grasp"
Of course if we do not believe this scripture then we will not understand the Lord in how he works or moves.

Would the Lord God create a being without the capacity to not fully know his own Father? We are his offspring and born again of the incorruptible seed of the Word of God. The scripture has already been mentioned where it says....

Eph 3:16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;
Eph 3:17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
Eph 3:18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
Eph 3:19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

The love of Christ is God!!! The word "comprehend" means "To lay hold of, seize, with eagerness, to understand, and or to grasp"
Of course if we do not believe this scripture then we will not understand the Lord in how he works or moves.

Let us not get ahead of ourselves and think that the light we have is yet all the light .

"Little children ye know the father and your sins are forgiven you "

"Ye young men the word of God dwelleth in you richly and ye have overcome the wicked one "
Ye fathers ye know Him who is form the beginning"
We grow in grace and in the knowledge of God .
Let us then walk in the light that we have and more will be given .For if we do not how or why should God give us more when we do not use what we have ?

In Christ
gerald

I should also add notwithstanding what I said before in reply to you.
That the church in general does not know God .
In so far as knowing Him who was in the beginning .
How can it ?
When an awful lot people who say they are Christians do not believe Gods record of those things " in the beginning "?
But what of Paul who said "that I might be made conformable unto his DEATH"
If Paul found more to be made conformable to even the Lords death.
How much then we ?
Every body wants to know the "power of his resurrection" But fails to realise that to know the power of a resurrection you need also to be dead.
Indeed if Paul saw there was more to know as to the power of a ressurection and he had been raised twice? form the dead or almost .
How much then do we?
Not for condemnation but more a reproof or correction as to the lack of hunger and ambition? and perhaps vision also .
For the promises of God are exceedingly great .
But we have reduced them simply to meet our own needs and perhaps our church .
Indeed have reduced the gospel (for peace sake ) to being but BORN again .
Which is simply getting out of Egypt.

and have excused ourselves with wandering around the wilderness for 40 years as the normal Christian life . When it only took them 40 DAYS to reach it the first time and they had to wander for 40 years because of unbelief!

Something to think about .

in Christ
gerald

Back