What if church attendance was compulsory?

What would happen?
Or is it better that we can make the choice to go or not.
Does this mean we all have free will?

Is it better to go cos we want or choose to rather than go because we have to?

What do you think? What does the Bible say? Is there a difference between peoples relationship with God between the Old and the New Testament?

What would happen?
Or is it better that we can make the choice to go or not.
Does this mean we all have free will?

Is it better to go cos we want or choose to rather than go because we have to?

What do you think? What does the Bible say? Is there a difference between peoples relationship with God between the Old and the New Testament?
Good morning Lanolin,

You are asking some interesting questions. Unfortunately, it is 5:28 in the morning here and time to get ready for work. Looking forward to reading what people have to say tonight. I suspect the topic of free will will indicate that we attend church because we want to,. not because we are force into it; much like faith itself.

Later,

rtm3039

Hello Lanolin;

If church was compulsory, then it would be a "forced command" by God.

Going to church is not a "forced command," instead an "inspired requirement" which is a big difference from a "forced command." Why is it an "inspired requirement?"

It is shared in Scriptures - Matthew, Acts, Romans, Ephesians, Colossians, Hebrews, James, etc...to encourage our gathering with like believers, to pray and worship together and receive the message given to the preacher from the Lord. The Gospel and passage teachings from this helps us grow, relationally with each other in Christ.

However, many believers opt their freewill by watching church on TV, having church by themselves, negative experiences and other reasons not to attend corporate worship. Many Christians will have their reasons and for this we must include them in our prayers. I remember years ago my wife and I attended church like it was a "revolving door."

At some point our Pastor called and we talked about it. I told him how we felt about attending church every Sunday and it became like a burden. I wasn't being entertained. We dialogued with our Pastor and after pointing the Scriptures and right reasons for attending church helped us. We TALKED about it and after much prayer we saw attending church in a new LIGHT.

My personal relationship with Jesus turned my attitude of attending church around to grow in my personal growth, but more important, to feel the joy of worshiping our God, first. I don't attend church by works, but so I can worship all day my Jesus with my church families.

Thank you for this thread, Lanolin.

God bless you and your family.

Hello Lanolin;

If church was compulsory, then it would be a "forced command" by God.

Going to church is not a "forced command," instead an "inspired requirement" which is a big difference from a "forced command." Why is it an "inspired requirement?"

It is shared in Scriptures - Matthew, Acts, Romans, Ephesians, Colossians, Hebrews, James, etc...to encourage our gathering with like believers, to pray and worship together and receive the message given to the preacher from the Lord. The Gospel and passage teachings from this helps us grow, relationally with each other in Christ.

However, many believers opt their freewill by watching church on TV, having church by themselves, negative experiences and other reasons not to attend corporate worship. Many Christians will have their reasons and for this we must include them in our prayers. I remember years ago my wife and I attended church like it was a "revolving door."

At some point our Pastor called and we talked about it. I told him how we felt about attending church every Sunday and it became like a burden. I wasn't being entertained. We dialogued with our Pastor and after pointing the Scriptures and right reasons for attending church helped us. We TALKED about it and after much prayer we saw attending church in a new LIGHT.

My personal relationship with Jesus turned my attitude of attending church around to grow in my personal growth, but more important, to feel the joy of worshiping our God, first. I don't attend church by works, but so I can worship all day my Jesus with my church families.

Thank you for this thread, Lanolin.

God bless you and your family.

To be, my church has become like a second home. I know all the pastors (we have many), as well as people who volunteer in various capacities. I normally attend all three Sunday services (9:00, 10:45, and 12:00), but skip the 12 service, if I need to mow the lawn. Granted, I am there to provide volunteer security; however, I do listen to the message as well. We have a volunteer lounge with a kitchen, so I usually do a brunch thing with some of the other volunteers. Once a month, I support the Adoption and Foster Care ministry from 9:00am to 1:00pm. On occasions, I also attend Saturday service, which is at 6:00pm. I am there on Monday for Bible Study. Now I will be attending on Friday, to support the youth ministry (7:00pm to 11:00pm). I guess it's a good thing that our kids are grown and live on their own. Also that my wife supports by involvement in the church (she is not a member or a volunteer).

rtm3039

To be, my church has become like a second home. I know all the pastors (we have many), as well as people who volunteer in various capacities. I normally attend all three Sunday services (9:00, 10:45, and 12:00), but skip the 12 service, if I need to mow the lawn. Granted, I am there to provide volunteer security; however, I do listen to the message as well. We have a volunteer lounge with a kitchen, so I usually do a brunch thing with some of the other volunteers. Once a month, I support the Adoption and Foster Care ministry from 9:00am to 1:00pm. On occasions, I also attend Saturday service, which is at 6:00pm. I am there on Monday for Bible Study. Now I will be attending on Friday, to support the youth ministry (7:00pm to 11:00pm). I guess it's a good thing that our kids are grown and live on their own. Also that my wife supports by involvement in the church (she is not a member or a volunteer).

rtm3039

Hi rtm3039;

Great post! It reminds me of a few sisters in Christ who spend most of Sunday attending their home church, first, then visiting 3 or 4 churches (some churches like ours has only one service on Sunday) because they just want to worship Jesus.

If you have time, Ray, have you thought about starting a diary to record the main Word you received from the different worship services?

God bless you and your family!

I got to a few different churches sometimes alternate Sundays but there will be times when I dont go because Im sick, tired and I have nobody to go with or take me. Also there will be times when I just want to spemd the day with mum or others outside and its too nice and sunny to sit inside a dark church. I get a bit antsy about that.

If church was compulsory I dont know how it would be if everyone went even if they didnt believe. It would be kind of like school then I suppose.

Hi rtm3039;

Great post! It reminds me of a few sisters in Christ who spend most of Sunday attending their home church, first, then visiting 3 or 4 churches (some churches like ours has only one service on Sunday) because they just want to worship Jesus.

If you have time, Ray, have you thought about starting a diary to record the main Word you received from the different worship services?

God bless you and your family!
Good morning, brother bob,

The way my church works is that they offer services in the form of themes. As an example, for the next month and a half, the Word will be the book of Jonah in a series they are calling "I hate this city."

hate miami.JPG

This weekend will be Pastor Omar's first as lead pastor. I enjoy sitting through the same service, as I like seeing how the pastor refines his message from one service to the other. Usually, the Saturday service is the roughest and the last Sunday service is the most refined. I have not kept a journal, but I occasionally post here on something I have called "What I learned today." Also, sometime Friday night, we receive a copy of the sermon notes. I usually read the notes and the particular scripture that will be used. This way, I go into service armed with the basic message. Below is an example:

Season 15 - Episode 3

BREAKING THE ICE:

Have you ever been in a church or company where people were at odds with one another? If so what was that like?

How important do you think unity is in a Church?

GO TO THE SOURCE: READ John 17:11, Eph 4:11-13

DIG A LITTLE DEEPER:

Jesus Prayed For It

• Who is Jesus talking to in John 17:11?
  • What is the occasion of this prayer?
  • What does Jesus pray the Father would do?
    • LEADERS NOTE: He prays that the Father would protect them
  • What result does Jesus mentions from the Father’s protection?
    • LEADERS NOTE: He prays that the result of the Father’s protection would result in their unity.
  • How do you think God’s protection related to unity in His Church?
  • What things could disrupt the unity of our church?
Our Leaders Are Called To Lead Us To Unity In Jesus
  • Who has God given to the Church according to Eph 4:11?
  • What is their job in the church according to verse 12?
  • According to verse 13 what is the result of the congregation doing the work of ministry?
    • LEADERS NOTE: 1) Unity in our faith and knowledge of Jesus, 2) everyone becomes mature, 3) attaining the full measure of fullness in Christ.
  • Do you think the second two goals are possible without the first? Why or why not?
  • What happens to churches where disunity abounds?
MAKE IT COUNT:
  • What can you do this week to seek the unity of our church?

Our weekly bible study is not connected to the prior weekend's message. For the moment we are finishing James. I am thinking of suggesting that we sink with the weekend's message and study deeper into the message of the weekend.

rtm3039

Last edited:
Oh wow Im trying to recall what I noted down from the last weeks sermon. Nothing as detailed as that.

It was about God's calling. Scripture was from letter to Timothy about Paul saying christ came to save sinners of which he was chief.

Some sins mentioned are self-righteousness and self-sufficiency. I think its hard to go against what the world values which is selfishness, because we are constantly told to look after our own selves, as nobody will do it for us. Selfies are actually thing. Everybody looks to their own selves, not others.

Even in school the other day I heard a reliever saying...I am not your mother or carer. You have to learn to look after yourself first. These were boys of 8-10 years old. The thing is they arent equipped to do that, and sometimes, parents just abandon them because they are busy or absent, and so they have nobody to guide them. But thats what this generation including mine are told. We cant even rely on our elders to guide us cos much of the time they have no clue.

Thank God for books though. If people didnt write things down and handed on their wisdom, in books, I wouldnt know anything. I certainly dont leanr much through watching other people live fake lives on tv.

Oh wow Im trying to recall what I noted down from the last weeks sermon. Nothing as detailed as that.

It was about God's calling. Scripture was from letter to Timothy about Paul saying christ came to save sinners of which he was chief.

Some sins mentioned are self-righteousness and self-sufficiency. I think its hard to go against what the world values which is selfishness, because we are constantly told to look after our own selves, as nobody will do it for us. Selfies are actually thing. Everybody looks to their own selves, not others.

Even in school the other day I heard a reliever saying...I am not your mother or carer. You have to learn to look after yourself first. These were boys of 8-10 years old. The thing is they arent equipped to do that, and sometimes, parents just abandon them because they are busy or absent, and so they have nobody to guide them. But thats what this generation including mine are told. We cant even rely on our elders to guide us cos much of the time they have no clue.

Thank God for books though. If people didnt write things down and handed on their wisdom, in books, I wouldnt know anything. I certainly dont leanr much through watching other people live fake lives on tv.

Last week's message was mostly to inspire the congregation to support the new Lead Pastor and the mission of our church. This sermon was the last one for Pastor Rick, who retied as lead pastor after 23 years. The latter part of the service was actually a congregational vote in support (or not) of the new lead pastor (Pastor Omar). It was also short, to allow people to meet with Pastor Rick and thank him for his 23 years of leading our church. Pastor Omar received 99% approval and is now officially our Lead Pastor.

Its like sheep without a shepherd I suppose.
The sheep follow the shepherd not because they are barked at but because the shepherd knows them by name and calls them his own.
The shepherd feeds the sheep. If there is no pasture, the sheep wont go there. But the shepherd must make sure they dont go astray and get lost or eaten by wolves.
Herding sheep can be easy or hard. The easy lazy way is to get a dog to bark at the sheep and the sheep will run away from the dog supposedly to the place the shepherd wants them. If its fenced off.

The harder way but better way is for the shepherd to call the sheep and the sheep, cos they trust the shepherd will follow him wherever he (or she) goes.

Does anyones churches have a roll where they take attendance? Like in school when they call out everyones names and you say you are here.
If you cant make it, do you call in and send apologies or what do you do? Cos when I havent gone I dont really have anybody to tell to say I cant make it unless Im rostered for a duty. If im not there Im not there. I supoose depends on how big the church gathering is and whether people know you well enough to realise you not there.

Also when you have a duty say you are on ushering or morning tea then its kind of compulsory. And of course the pastor always has to be there. I supoose if you not there God will send someone else in your place?

Does anyones churches have a roll where they take attendance? Like in school when they call out everyones names and you say you are here.
If you cant make it, do you call in and send apologies or what do you do? Cos when I havent gone I dont really have anybody to tell to say I cant make it unless Im rostered for a duty. If im not there Im not there. I supoose depends on how big the church gathering is and whether people know you well enough to realise you not there.

Also when you have a duty say you are on ushering or morning tea then its kind of compulsory. And of course the pastor always has to be there. I supoose if you not there God will send someone else in your place?
On a good day, we have as many as 1,300 people attend services and there are four services each week. They do take a "head count," but not by name.

On a good day, we have as many as 1,300 people attend services and there are four services each week. They do take a "head count," but not by name.
Sometimes church reminds me of the assemblies we had every week at school. There were always announcements and singing, although there was no big sermon or lecture. Assemblies of God churches are kind of like that.

My town is having a combined churches service at the biggest church next Sunday but I wont be in town cos Im going away for the weekend so will miss it :-(

Does anyone go to church in their holidays/vacations say you visiting a place and its sunday do you just head to the nearest church? I have done that a couple of times.

Have you ever gone to a church then started realising you not really comfortable there and dont want to stay then just left. Is it ok to do this without saying, um I dont really like it, not my cup of tea? Or do you have an obligation to say why you just dont go anymore. What if it was something unpleasant, like, someone tried to bully you into doing things their way and you dont want to, why go back and be bullied. I think I would just shake the dust off my feet and move on rather than stay and argue, especially when looks like you wont win cos they are older or stronger than you.

After all you may not be a signed up member or pledged you would be there every single week. You dont have to give apologies do you? Or is it, if you attend a church more than 3 times you are considered one of them?

I was a terrible gym attender.
I worked out I was better off keeping fit by walking to work or doing hard work than driving to the gym and paying $$ for a workout.

I'm a terrible church attender I admit, there was a time when I used to go every single week. When I was rostered it started to feel like a burden.
I haven't been for a few months
Every time Sunday rolls round I feel tired or I just don't feel like meeting anyone. Today is one of those days, for if I went I would most likely fall asleep in the sermon.
I think church works best if you aren't doing much socially during the week, or you don't have a job where you engage with lots of people. Church really works with extroverts, they love it. But for introverts it's too loud, noisy and draining, and you never get a say, because its the extroverts doing all the talking.

I'm a terrible church attender I admit, there was a time when I used to go every single week. When I was rostered it started to feel like a burden.
I haven't been for a few months
Every time Sunday rolls round I feel tired or I just don't feel like meeting anyone. Today is one of those days, for if I went I would most likely fall asleep in the sermon.
I think church works best if you aren't doing much socially during the week, or you don't have a job where you engage with lots of people. Church really works with extroverts, they love it. But for introverts it's too loud, noisy and draining, and you never get a say, because its the extroverts doing all the talking.

Hello Lanolin;

I hear you, sister. I've also experienced everything you just shared and opened up so many times to God about me.

Speaking for myself, my feelings are what I bring upon myself. I cannot direct this at other people in church or the structure. I'm directing my feelings (attitude) at God and His church.

I learned that when I didn't want to engage at church because I was tired, or didn't want to face my church family, I still made a decision to follow Jesus, even when I didn't want to. When God sees this, He sees our decision to choose Him, despite.

When we choose God over self, we are actually honoring Him by our sacrifice. Giving up self for Christ is our sacrifice. This is one of the profound cores of the New Testament. Jesus set the example by the way He lived. Yes, Jesus was God, but He didn't choose His own way apart from our Father.

Philippians 2:6-8, 6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

Personally, Lanolin, you are a blessing here at Christian Forum Site and we look forward to your fellowship each day. The same as your home church, go back and love your church family. You are a blessing to them and have much to offer, YOURSELF, even if you don't know it. God knows it! ❤️

As far as compulsary attendance, let it go and let it be replaced with your "free will heart."

God bless you, sister, and your family.

I don’t attend church either.
I find them quite boring and fall asleep through the service🙁
And because I work with people I just want alone time too..
But, when I do go, just for coffee( no service) I find it quite refreshing.
But if the services where spiced up a bit, and maybe made into a talk, instead of purely ritual, I might be persuaded to go

Back