What is “sin?”

To clear something up here, sin does not literally mean "miss the mark". One word in Greek that is translated as sin in most Bibles actually means "miss the mark", the other word means wrongdoing. Both are translated as "sin" for convenience, and to avoid doctrinarian. I tend to distinguish them as willful sin vs. a mistake or error, but many others also make no distinction whatsoever. Different denominations have different perspectives on where the relevance lies.

Truth is, in the end the result is the same: we are unable to come up to God's level of righteousness and holiness and need a Savior. "Missing the mark" sounds a little more innocuous than rebellion, but whether you miss the strait gate, avoid it on purpose, or just get confused and follow the crowd down the broad path, you end up in the same place.

I believe in order for us to understand what SIN really is, how about starting from the beginning before SIN was committed. It all started when LUCIFER, a preferred angel, looked at himself above all angels and this is what we read:

Isaiah 14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
Isaiah 14:13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
Isaiah 14:14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.

All of us now know how LUCIFER committed SIN and this is PRIDE. From this, we can now deduce the following as an "antidote" to SIN:

GOD who deserves to be exalted HUMBLED Himself, and this was revealed to Paul who truly and clearly identified JESUS CHRIST, so also with Apostle John:

1 Timothy 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit...

1 John 3:16 Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us...

HENCE, THE FOLLOWING:

GOD vs SATAN
HUMILITY vs PRIDE

In the eyes of God therefore, PRIDE is the cause of SIN.

This is what we read in the Garden of Eden:

Genesis 2:15 And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.
Genesis 2:16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:
Genesis 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
How many kinds of "trees" are there in the garden:

Genesis 2:9 And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Since God is speaking in parables (Eze 20:49, Psa 78:2), what is written in the Bible are but the "letter" or literal meaning, but they must have "spiritual equivalent" by divine revelations from the very words of God. Otherwise, this warning had not been given to us:

2 Corinthians 3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

"Letter" is for the literal meaning or human perception from the word.
"Spirit" must be the spiritual message of God from His words.

Let us remember, we are waiting for GOD to reveal what SIN really is, in order for us to repent from.
(To be continued)

The quote was.............
"Let us remember, we are waiting for GOD to reveal what SIN really is, in order for us to repent from."

I can not agree with that my friend.

Sin is disobedience of God word!!!

We do not have to wait on God to reveal what sin is..............He has done that my friend.

Ps. 14:3
"They are all gone astray, they are altogether become filthy, there is none that doeth good, no, not one".

Rom. 3:23
"ALL have sinned and come short of the approval of God."

We are all guilty of SIN because we are all SINNERS by nature.

Having just read through the string i find that the erroneous New Testament position has been voiced and Iḿ sorry I was absent from here to answer that when it was posted. The NTC position is that the Mosaic Law has passed away, as Jesus would put it and nothing can be farther from the truth! In Paul´s letters he mentions the Law frequently as in Gal 3:24 and if we take the time to actually read the Bible we see that the Law is very important to any and to every follower of Jesus, the Christ.

Without the Mosaic Law, The Ten Commandments, there is no method for determining sin from righteousness. When we study the Ten Commandments prayerfully and with the guidance of the Holy Spirit we begin to understand righteousness and to see that the Commandments paint a perfect word picture of Father God. The Christian is called to live a Holy Life. (Lev. 20:7, 1Pet. 1:15-16, 1Cor. 16:1, 2Cor. 1:1, Eph. 1:1, Phil.1:1, 4:22 and many others) This Holy Life we are called to live is explained by the Mosaic Law and nowhere else.

In addition to this we know that through Jesus we can do all things. (Phil. 4:13 and others) It is absolutely impossible to live the life we are committed to live by our allegiance to the Christ without Jesus and here we get into some deep Theology. Jesus, the Son of God, the Holy Spirit and God the Father make up one God! If you happen to speak with Jesus, you are speaking to the Holy Spirit and God, the Father also! For this reason it is so very important to have the Holy Spirit Indwelling your body and that you obey and not quince the Spirit. If yu are indwelt with the Spirit you have Jesus in you every moment remaining in your life.

So, you see, the Law and the words of the prophets not only have not passed away, they are to rule our very lives and anything we do in violation of The Commandments is sin.

This is what we read in the Garden of Eden:

Genesis 2:15 And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.
Genesis 2:16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:
Genesis 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
How many kinds of "trees" are there in the garden:

Genesis 2:9 And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Since God is speaking in parables (Eze 20:49, Psa 78:2), what is written in the Bible are but the "letter" or literal meaning, but they must have "spiritual equivalent" by divine revelations from the very words of God. Otherwise, this warning had not been given to us:

2 Corinthians 3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

"Letter" is for the literal meaning or human perception from the word.
"Spirit" must be the spiritual message of God from His words.

Let us remember, we are waiting for GOD to reveal what SIN really is, in order for us to repent from.
(To be continued)

Just like looking at the forest from above, and to be in the forest within; so also trying to know what SIN really is. Many people will define and preach sin by enumerating the different commandments, directives, and statutes written in the Holy Bible.

But for God, He quantifies SIN as this originates from - it is PRIDE! With pride, the following is violated:

Matthew 18:3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

For without humility, the humbleness of a "little child, babe in the eyes of God" there would be no "divine knowledge and wisdom."

Luke 10:21 In that hour Jesus rejoiced in spirit, and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes: even so, Father; for so it seemed good in thy sight.

Can anybody boast of knowing WHO really is the One True God, the God of Moses and Paul and His name?
Cany anybody follow the commandments, directives, statutes of God with the following condition?

James 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT!

ld9VK.jpg

Many have often wondered what sin is exactly, and how to define it. I’ve heard it defined once as:

“‘Sin’ is a departure of the way things ought to be.”
However, I think that is a cop-out for people who don’t feel like thinking about it for too long. Here is a list of the infamous seven major sins of the Bible:
  • Envy
  • Gluttony
  • Wrath
  • Lust
  • Pride
  • Greed
  • Sloth
I used to believe this categorization at one point, until I saw it was inaccurate. To understand what sin is, we must look at how sin was created. When was the first time sin came into existence? As most know, it was the fall of Lucifer.

“For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.” -Isaiah 14:13-14​
Some would say, “Oh, that’s just the sin of pride.” Wait a minute, the word “sin” does not exist at this point, remember? What Satan did, was sin. Sin is not a category. Sin is not the name of some folder you put your offenses to God in. Sin is the wrongdoing. Pride is the same thing as sin. Pride is sin, and sin is pride. Pride is not just one of many sins, it is the sin itself. That is why all sin will keep you from entering heaven, and why all must be judged. All sin is a fruit of pride. I understand this is probably a complicated concept to grasp, but consider the following:

Q: Why is “Lust” a sin?
A: Because when you lust for something, you scheme in your heart to take something that is not yours by force, to satisfy your own selfish desires. The root of lust is pride, which is the sin.​

Q: Why is “Greed” a sin?
A: Because greed is the excessive desire to possess an overabundant wealth of something, for your own desires. You want more than you need to satisfy your own selfish desires. The root of greed is pride, which is the sin.​

Q: Why is “Gluttony” a sin?
A: Because gluttony, like greed, is an excessive desire to over-indulge or over-consume something. You want more than you need and can handle, to satisfy your own selfish desires. The root of gluttony is pride, which is the sin.​

Q: Why is “Envy” a sin?
A: Because envy/covetousness is a desire to obtain something that another person has that you do not, or a desire for another person to lose what you don’t have. It is the excessive focus of oneself that causes an envious person to seek satisfaction to their selfish desires, often neglecting others. The root of envy is pride, which is the sin.​
My point is to show that every single thing we call “sin,” isn’t really the sin. The sin is pride. Take any sin you can think of, and you will find pride somewhere within it. Though the fruit of pride may take many shapes and forms, it is all coming from the same tree, and that’s why God hates it. The next time you are confronted with a question like “It doesn’t say in the Bible that ‘this’ is a sin, so how do you know if it is?” An easy answer to that question is “Is pride anywhere in that act? Are you elevating yourself above God (or others) by doing it? If so, then it is sin.”

Taken from: http://garrydavid.tumblr.com/post/7698558588/what-is-sin

I want to look at "sin" as to how it originated. We all know who Lucifer was. It was PRIDE that caused Lucifer to sin. Hence, I can trace all sins having originated from PRIDE. My clue is what Jesus Christ told His listeners:

Why did Jesus emphasize HUMILITY if it were not to counter or as an antidote to PRIDE:

The "key" to salvation:

Matthew 18:3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Endowment of "divine knowledge and wisdom."

Luke 10:21 In that hour Jesus rejoiced in spirit, and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes: even so, Father; for so it seemed good in thy sight.

Sin is starts from heart,
It is starts with disobedience in heart
And it explores in many ways..

Angels first did the sin in their hearts
Lucifer (Satan) is the father for sin,

Sin is of the Devil :
John 8: 44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Christ came to destroy the Acts of Devil:
1 John 3: 8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Sin is explained in many ways in Bible

1.Sin is Transgression of Law :
1John 3: 4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

2. All unrighteousness is Sin:
1 John 5: 17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

3. Whatever is not of Faith is Sin :
Rom 14: 23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

4. Sin is.. the though of foolishness :
Proverbs 12: 9 The thought of foolishness is sin: and the scorner is an abomination to men.

5. Sin is ... knowing to be good but not doing :
James 4: 17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

6. Over taking is Sin :
Pro 10 : 19 In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise.

I hope this is all can give you good understanding on Sin.. gbu all

Can we not trace all kinds of sin from the sin of PRIDE?
I believe PRIDE is the "father" of all sins!
For it was PRIDE that caused LUCIFER to sin against GOD.

Can we not trace all kinds of sin from the sin of PRIDE?
I believe PRIDE is the "father" of all sins!
For it was PRIDE that caused LUCIFER to sin against GOD.

With PRIDE is rejection of the TRUTH in the word of God!

Is it not TRUTH that only GOD deserves to be called "Holy?"

Don't we hear "somebody" is called "Holy?"

Is it not TRUTH that only GOD deserves to be called "Reverend?"

Don't we hear "many people" who love to be called "Reverend/Rev.?"

Can we strike out the following TRUTH from the Holy Bible?

Psa 111:9 He sent redemption unto his people: he hath commanded his covenant for ever: holy and reverend is his name.

WHO is alluded to in the foregoing verse?

(Something to think about)

Sin is disobedience to YHVH word either in thought or deed. And yes there is only "one" which is Holy and Reverend, YHVH Ha'Elyon.

Mat 23:10 "Neither be you called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ. 11 But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant. 12 And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted." Shalom!

...for whatsoever [is] not of faith is sin. (Rom 14:23)
Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth [it] not, to him it is sin. (James 4:17)
...for sin is the transgression of the law. (1 John 3:4)
All unrighteousness is sin: (1 John 5:17)

But informer, "faith" is a gift of God:

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

And we receive this "gift of faith" only after satisfying this condition imposed by Jesus Christ:

And without the foregoing condition, we will not be endowed with "divine knowledge and wisdom."

And without "divine knowledge and wisdom" how can we know what is "good and bad in the eyes of God" with the "language of God." Let us remember, God is speaking His"spiritual language" or in parables; while the Holy Bible is written in the "language of man."

A typical example is the commandment: "Thou shalt not steal."

This is what I read about sin coming from the mouth of our Lord Jesus Christ. This happened when He opened the eyes of the "man born blind." It turned out that the "blindness" of this man was not literal when our Lord told the Pharisees:

John 9:39 And Jesus said, For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind.

It was at this time that Jesus Christ "defined sin" that relates to "spiritual blindness."

John 9:40 And some of the Pharisees which were with him heard these words, and said unto him, Are we blind also?

John 9:41 Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth.

More demonstrations needed by our Lord through His very words to understand what He meant by "sin."

Rom 4:15 "Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression."

Rom 5:13 "For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law."

Rom 7:7 "What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet. 8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead. 9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died. 10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death. 11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me. 12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good. 13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful."

Here to Shaul also gives another definition of sin. Shalom!

I believe sin and evil are the same. Without evil or sin there can't be good. As the bible say, all of us are sinners. The thing we should strive at is letting our good be more than evil. I found a good article that discusses evil and good at great length?. Readers can find this are here- www.worldtrancom/good-vs-evilsformation./. You can leave your thoughts here after reading the article.

I read the article. Basically it states that man is responsible for his own salvation. That salvation, of course, only being a temporal one and involves no reconciliation with God. In short, the article denies the Biblical world view and views sin and redemption in biological and psychological terms. This is hardly new or enlightening and the adoption of this viewpoint will no doubt result in the same resounding success we have had to date in achieving world peace and harmony.

Back