What is faith?

What is faith (In God)?
Since God is love, to have faith in God, is to have complete trust in the unconditional love Jesus expressed for us on the cross. It is also to believe that through love, we can conquer every evil in the world. Since, love is a force; it is always expressed through actions. Therefore, when we have faith in God, we will forgo our own interest, in order to serve those who have hurt and betrayed us. If we claim to have faith, but do not put it into action. our faith is not alive (James 2:17). On the other hand, if we put our faith into action, it will set our heart on fire; and make our faith grow. It will then propel us to go out of our way and spend every moment of our life to serve God by serving others, including our enemies. In this effort we will count no cost, expect no reward and accept any discomfort or peril that comes our way. Then, even if we have faith as small as a mustard seed, it will grow mighty enough to move mountains (Luke 17:6).

To have faith in God, is also to know, that His love is the only solution to the problems in our life. We will, therefore, not resort to lawsuits or violence to solve our problem. Instead, we will use pure love to solve our problems. We will, therefore, help those who hurt us, give them more than what they are ask for, pray for them and not retaliate against them.

What is faith (In God)?
Since God is love, to have faith in God, is to have complete trust in the unconditional love Jesus expressed for us on the cross. It is also to believe that through love, we can conquer every evil in the world. Since, love is a force; it is always expressed through actions. Therefore, when we have faith in God, we will forgo our own interest, in order to serve those who have hurt and betrayed us. If we claim to have faith, but do not put it into action. our faith is not alive (James 2:17). On the other hand, if we put our faith into action, it will set our heart on fire; and make our faith grow. It will then propel us to go out of our way and spend every moment of our life to serve God by serving others, including our enemies. In this effort we will count no cost, expect no reward and accept any discomfort or peril that comes our way. Then, even if we have faith as small as a mustard seed, it will grow mighty enough to move mountains (Luke 17:6).

To have faith in God, is also to know, that His love is the only solution to the problems in our life. We will, therefore, not resort to lawsuits or violence to solve our problem. Instead, we will use pure love to solve our problems. We will, therefore, help those who hurt us, give them more than what they are ask for, pray for them and not retaliate against them.

FAITH is complete trust or confidence in someone or something.

We can have faith when we try to start our car believing that the key we used will do just that.

We can have faith that the plane we are traveling in will land.

We can have faith that the bank we have our money in will not fold.

However, the Bible gives us its definition of faith in Hebrews 11:1...…...
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."

What do we hope for? We hope that God is trustworthy and honors his promises. We can be sure that his promises of salvation and eternal life, and a resurrected body will be ours someday based on who God is and what He has said in His written Word.

...the Bible gives us its definition of faith in Hebrews 11:1...…...
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."
What we hope for may not be promised if it is not God's will.
To be certain of what we do not see may have nothing to do with what we hope for.

True unconditional faith allows us to accept God's will regardless of outcome, even to go to hell.

Hebrews 12:2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

What we hope for may not be promised if it is not God's will.
To be certain of what we do not see may have nothing to do with what we hope for.

True unconditional faith allows us to accept God's will regardless of outcome, even to go to hell.

Hebrews 12:2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

I do understand what you are saying but, To say that unconditional faith allows us to accept God's will...…….."even to go to hell" is IMO not a very good idea and in fact is not Biblical.

We can not say on one hand that "What we hope for may not be promised if it is not God's will" when on the other hand the Word of God says that God's will is that EVERYONE should be saved and His will is not for anyone to go to hell.

Timothy 2:3 says that........
God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth“.

2 Peter 3:9 ……...…….
"The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. "

...We can not say on one hand that "What we hope for may not be promised if it is not God's will" when on the other hand the Word of God says that God's will is that EVERYONE should be saved and His will is not for anyone to go to hell...
Your supporting scriptures (see below) does not support your above statement.
...Timothy 2:3 says that........
“God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth“.

2 Peter 3:9 ……...…….
"The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. "
To desire, or wish, is to know that all is not necessarily so.

^ I sure do wish some of yall would post the biblical versions you are quoting from. The KJV reads this slightly differently.
I just wanted to bring to light that those not saved feel we as Christians have "blind" faith, meaning we believe what we cannot prove. Biblical truths have no bearing when trying to witness to them. We can only have some of that hope as mentioned, as beacons in this dark world that some might see the light. I do not believe that faith is unconditional, because by the condition of it we are saved.

Peace to all.

Your supporting scriptures (see below) does not support your above statement.

To desire, or wish, is to know that all is not necessarily so.

I will respectfully have to disagree with you my brother.

I understand that it is a play on words but IMO I do not think that it translates into defining or not defining what Faith is.

You see......God does not have faith and we can not equate what faith is to what God's will might or might not be whether we use the words "DESIRE" or WISH.

Biblical faith is: human beings trusting in a God they cannot see, to do things that He has promised.

Bless you and keep up the good work!

Last edited:
...I do not believe that faith is unconditional, because by the condition of it we are saved...
What condition of it are you referring to, faith or to our 'self'.

Please let me explain my faith on faith.

Faith, without our self-identity interfering with it, is simply allowing truth to be as it is. Faith, as it is, is unconditional. What makes it seem conditional is our own change from hanging on, to letting go. The condition points to us, and not to faith _ which has no needs, wants, or change, of its own.

Unconditionality IS faith.
Unconditionality cannot be truly understood or known by reasoning or logic because they are conditions. We can say that unconditionality is letting everything be as it is. It sounds good, reasonable and even logical. However, letting go, or accepting, are conditions created by the self as a form of censoring and controlling what comes to consciousness. [Consciousness is what we are].

True letting go is consciousness not making a choice of what to be aware of, but simply to be okay with everything. Consciousness is then simply letting self be 'unreal' and truth be 'real'. Unconditionality is the Greater Reality of Truth being what it is. Anything else is unreal, created by our false-self.

Major , Jesus Christ, as mentioned in...

....Jesus had the faith of God's will, even to go to visit hell.

Matthew 27:46 About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?" (which means "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?").
The lowermost thought they won over Jesus Christ and took him to hell.

1 Peter 3:18-19
18. For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit.
19. After being made alive, he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spirits--

Revelation 1:18
I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.

Faith in itself is a condition. Dude, it is my opinion that you overthink things logically in your mind sometimes. Did your faith change you?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/login
Definition of faith

1a : allegiance to duty or a person : loyalty lost faith in the company's president
b(1) : fidelity to one's promises
(2) : sincerity of intentions; acted in good faith
2a(1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God
(2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion
b(1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof; clinging to the faith that her missing son would one day return
(2) : complete trust
3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction especially : a system of religious beliefs; the Protestant faith

What condition of it are you referring to, faith or to our 'self'.

Please let me explain my faith on faith.

Faith, without our self-identity interfering with it, is simply allowing truth to be as it is. Faith, as it is, is unconditional. What makes it seem conditional is our own change from hanging on, to letting go. The condition points to us, and not to faith _ which has no needs, wants, or change, of its own.

Unconditionality IS faith.
Unconditionality cannot be truly understood or known by reasoning or logic because they are conditions. We can say that unconditionality is letting everything be as it is. It sounds good, reasonable and even logical. However, letting go, or accepting, are conditions created by the self as a form of censoring and controlling what comes to consciousness. [Consciousness is what we are].

True letting go is consciousness not making a choice of what to be aware of, but simply to be okay with everything. Consciousness is then simply letting self be 'unreal' and truth be 'real'. Unconditionality is the Greater Reality of Truth being what it is. Anything else is unreal, created by our false-self.

Major , Jesus Christ, as mentioned in...

....Jesus had the faith of God's will, even to go to visit hell.

Matthew 27:46 About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?" (which means "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?").
The lowermost thought they won over Jesus Christ and took him to hell.

1 Peter 3:18-19
18. For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit.
19. After being made alive, he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spirits--

Revelation 1:18
I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.

God bless you my brother. IMO you are working way to hard to try and explain something that actually needs no explanation.

Hebrews 11:1 in KJV says...…….
“Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.”

Simply put, the biblical definition of faith is “trusting in something you cannot explicitly prove."

That says all we need to know..........IMPO.

God bless you my brother. IMO you are working way to hard to try and explain something that actually needs no explanation.

Hebrews 11:1 in KJV says...…….
“Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.”...
I was talking about unconditionality of faith, without the need of hope for what your 'self' wants.
In other words, can you be grateful for everything that comes to you, even adversities, or even hell?

Part of God's will is to allow adversities in your life to learn from. They are only adversities to you because they are not what you hoped for; but God knows that is what you need to learn how to overcome through 'true unconditional faith'... not just how you think it ought to be, i.e., easy without 'knowing' its truth.

...Simply put, the biblical definition of faith is “trusting in something you cannot explicitly prove."
That says all we need to know..........IMPO.
This is closer to the truth. 'Trusting in God most High, regardless of outcome' would be more suited.

Faith in itself is a condition. Dude, it is my opinion that you overthink things logically in your mind sometimes. Did your faith change you?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/login
Definition of faith

1a : allegiance to duty or a person : loyalty lost faith in the company's president
b(1) : fidelity to one's promises
(2) : sincerity of intentions; acted in good faith
2a(1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God
(2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion
b(1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof; clinging to the faith that her missing son would one day return
(2) : complete trust
3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction especially : a system of religious beliefs; the Protestant faith
2a(1,) and 2b(2), is what I have been talking about.
1b(1), 2a(2), 2b(1), and 3 is what others are talking about.

Can I move this discussion into the practice of doing it, and away from the simply conceiving of it. Suppose you want to pray for healing, this is where it gets difficult. I think we have all prayed for healing a few times, I know I have.
I'm wondering if anyone here has ever had a healing prayer answered, and if so how did you pray?
Every time I've prayed for healing I think of the scriptures that say you can't doubt. I've never had a healing prayer get results and to be honest I have always had doubts. I don't doubt "if God can do it", I know He can do it. So what am I doubting? I guess I'm doubting if He will do it for me. Maybe that doubt is enough to stop any healing from happening. I wish I could figure this out.

John T He will do it for you, you just ask Him and expect him to and be open to receive.

When I got my healing I had no doubt. The one He chose to heal me had no doubt I would be healed. He'd ministered to all kinds of people and they all got healed of every ailment you could think of. Put your trust in Him. He cares for you.

In the Bible it says if anyone is sick ask the elders to pray for you. The fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. So go ask the elder in your church who you know has seen answers to prayer.

High lanolin,
What I found most interesting in what you said what's that somebody else did the actual praying. That was the idea when I used to go to the Kenneth Hagin Crusades.
May I ask what you were healed of? I'm trying to get healed of things like cataracts and spinal stenosis. Although as I say that I know that to God things like stenosis and cataracts are no different than a cold.

High lanolin,
What I found most interesting in what you said what's that somebody else did the actual praying. That was the idea when I used to go to the Kenneth Hagin Crusades.
May I ask what you were healed of? I'm trying to get healed of things like cataracts and spinal stenosis. Although as I say that I know that to God things like stenosis and cataracts are no different than a cold.

My dear brother......YOU can be healed of those things you poste by simply going to the doctor/surgeon and having the procedures done to help you.

I have had cataract surgery done and I see perfectly now......20/20. God heals through the ability He gives people.

I just had spinal surgery. I can now WALK. God gave a man the ability to do a surgery which restored my health.

I have seen and I am sure most everyone else has as well that in some of our well meaning Christian denominational movements, consulting a doctor is often considered a lack of faith that will actually prevent God from healing you. In groups such as Christian Science, seeking the help of physicians is sometimes viewed as a barrier to using the spiritual energy God has given us to heal ourselves. The logic of these viewpoints is sorely lacking. If your car is damaged, do you take it to a mechanic or wait for God to perform a miracle and heal your car? If the plumbing in your house bursts, do you wait for God to plug the leak, or do you call a plumber? God is just as capable of repairing a car or fixing the plumbing as He is of healing our bodies. The fact that God can and does perform miracles of healing does not mean we should always expect a miracle instead of seeking the help of individuals who possess the knowledge and skill to assist us.
https://www.gotquestions.org/Christians-go-doctors.html

God created us as intelligent beings and gave us the ability to create medicines and learn how to repair our bodies. There is nothing wrong with applying this knowledge and ability towards physical healing. Doctors can be viewed as God’s gift to us, a means through which God brings healing and recovery. At the same time, our ultimate faith and trust is to be in God, not in doctors or medicine.

Major, I'm not trying to get divine healing instead of using a doc. In fact I've been trying to get cataract surgery since 2017. In 2017 the catarascts were still minor but I couldn't get the surgery because the surgery center insists someone accompany there and stay there while the surgery is being done. I don't have anyone to do that for me and since the cataracts were minor I didn't worry about it. They aren't minor anymore. Theyu were supposed to have been done last Dec. but I couldn't get medical clearance. And now we have this covid crisis.

John. T. I feel ya darlin'. I moved my daughter and her husband back east here to NC from ID. I have health issues and cannot be alone. Might I suggest becoming an active church member, so you may have congregational support. Doesn't matter the church, as any within walking distance will do. You will be amazed at the help you would receive in such cases. I had cataract surgery paid for scheduled on 4/6 but it was cancelled by the CDC. My one eye is really bad, compounded by issues related to A.S.

Hugs to you, we've all been right there where you are at one time or another. Asking for help from a church, senior center, United Way, Salvation Army, Veterans Assistance Programs, or social services might get you the assistance you need. I will be praying for you.

Major, I'm not trying to get divine healing instead of using a doc. In fact I've been trying to get cataract surgery since 2017. In 2017 the catarascts were still minor but I couldn't get the surgery because the surgery center insists someone accompany there and stay there while the surgery is being done. I don't have anyone to do that for me and since the cataracts were minor I didn't worry about it. They aren't minor anymore. Theyu were supposed to have been done last Dec. but I couldn't get medical clearance. And now we have this covid crisis.

I undertand John. I was only reacting to yur post #16 where you said "you were trying to be heled of cateracts and spinal problems....………".

From the context of the post it read as if you were expecting Mr. Hagin to heal you of those things at a healing crusade.

Please forgive me of misunderstanding.

Back